Chapter 3

Gut Feeling

“What is it exactly that they do as hosts?” You asked as Mina stuffed her laundry into the dryer. The problem with the machines on campus was that you had to stay close by to make sure someone didn’t hijack your machine. And so, you’d joined Mina in her surveillance.

“You liked them, didn’t you? I told you they’re so sweet! They’re not just handsome, they’re also good people!” Mina exclaimed, clapping her hands in excitement. “When are we going back?”

“Hey! I didn’t…-” You cut yourself off. You really ought to have told her that you went back. If she found out you went back without her she’d be mad. But it’d already been a few days…

Mina was babbling on excitedly, something about how sweet and innocent a guy named Seoham was. You nodded politely. It gave you some time to think about how to tell her the truth. The best would probably be to rip the bandaid off, right? Just in one go. Just. Do. It.

“So I was talking about..-”

“I went back to the café.” You blurted it out. Mina choked on air.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you! Or didn’t go together with you. I was just going to… I don’t know… I wasn’t planning on going inside but Heejun saw me and then I sort of…” You bit your lip and reached for your elbow, trying to squeeze the discomfort out of your chest. Mina didn’t say anything, she just slowly started grinning.

“I knew it! I knew you liked it!! There’s no shame, girl! But… You said he recognized you? When did you go? How often did you go there without me?”

“I just went once! But… It’s sort of embarrassing.” You muttered, shrugging. “Don’t you ever feel uncomfortable? Of course I know that they’re just doing their job by flirting, but he just keeps…”

The way Mina was staring at you made you feel too pressured. You shook your head and just shrugged. Mina scrutinized your face, but when it became clear you weren’t going to tell her anything else, she reached out and patted your arm gently. Like a mother comforting her daughter. She was much more experienced in the host café business, so you just took it.

“Of course we know they’re just doing their job, but that doesn’t mean we can’t dream, or fantasize. But isn’t it so amazing how Heejun just recognized you? Even though you’d only been there the one time! That’s what I love about him, he really cares about his girls!” Mina nearly squealed. You nodded quietly.

“So… Are we still having a dorm party later on? I didn’t go to the store yet because Yuna didn’t confirm.” You tried to change the topic. Mina noticed, of course, but nodded. She was sweet like that. You didn’t have to explain to her that you were feeling uncomfortable, she just understood these things.

“Yes we are! I forgot to tell you! Could you be a sweetheart and grab me some baking soda? I really want to bake some chocolate chip cookies but I used up my last for a face mask.”

“Of course! It’s no problem!”

 

Your usual grocery store, unfortunately, had run out of baking soda. Because you’d promised, you decided to it up and find another store. It was surprisingly difficult. There were a lot of convenience stores near the campus, but most actual grocery stores were a bit further. A promise is a promise, though.

And so you found yourself wandering through an unfamiliar E-Mart. The division of foods didn’t make sense to you, but eventually you found the baking isle. The only problem now was that the baking soda was stacked on the top shelf. Even on your tip toes, you couldn’t quite reach it. You considered stepping on the bottom shelf, but it didn’t look at that sturdy. Just one more time…

As you reached up, your fingers barely scraping along the metal frame of the top shelf, a hand reached up past yours and grabbed the box of baking soda you’d been aiming for. It caught you off guard, especially when the baking soda was then dropped into your shopping basket.

“Do you come here often?” It was a voice you could, by now, discern out of a hundred. Heejun! Flustered you looked up to find him standing in front of you. Only now did it become apparent how tall he was.

“Thank you. And not really. My usual store ran out of stuff. Baking soda.” You smiled awkwardly.

“Well then it’s a good thing I was here to be your knight in shining armour.” He winked, “how about I walk around with you? I can grab things for you if they’re on the top shelf.”

“I’m…” Fine? It would be less embarrassing to ask Heejun. Especially if you didn’t really have to ask him. He’d already offered. “That would be nice of you, actually.”

“Cool. What else do you need?” Heejun asked, stepping to the side. You only now noticed he was also carrying a shopping basket. There were several different syrups in there.

“Are you shopping for the café?” You asked, gesturing at the syrups. “I’m just going to grab some snacks. We have a dorm party tonight.”

“Ah, a dorm party? Are you into that kind of stuff?” He asked. “And yes, I am. Inseong wants to try making a new drink. I don’t think you’d like it, it’s this chocolate caramel thing but with whipped cream and cookies.”

He said it all so casually. Every part of him looked so at ease being here, and at the same time he looked like a model. It felt as if any moment now people might start taking pictures of him, and you were just awkwardly trying not to whack your basket into the shelves.

“Parties aren’t really something I’m comfortable with, but it’s a dorm party. Which basically means it’s a couple of girls having a sleepover. With some alcohol.” You smiled and started walking. Heejun kept pace with you, nodding.

“That sounds nice. And here I was thinking I could swoop in and save you.” He chuckled and ran a hand through his hair. “Are you going to watch some films?”

You were about to answer when you noticed the man in the next aisle over. Your feet stopped and refused to budge. That woman was standing next to him, giggling. It looked like they were having a great time. It felt as if someone was squeezing your heart. A hand waving in front of your face snapped you out of it.

“Are you okay?” Heejun frowned, stepping between you and the people you were staring at. You swallowed, but your throat felt dryer than before. Heejun was too tall, you couldn’t see past his shoulders, but you knew he was there.

“I’m fine, I just spotted my ex.” Maybe you shouldn’t have said that out loud. If Heejun actually had any interest in you, if even a hint of his flirtations had been genuine, then surely they would be gone by now. Then again, maybe that’s why you’d said it. Everyone has a past, and you weren’t sure you were ready to put yours away. Heejun’s eyes darted back, though he didn’t turn around to look.

“I’m guessing you’re not in the mood for catching up with him. Just stay on my other side, I’ll try to shield you. And don’t look, he’s not worth it.” He held out his hand for yours, and you nodded. That was nice of him. You shifted your basket to your other hand so you could hold his, and followed him as he walked. He had nice hands. Not too much larger than your own, but still comforting somehow. Heejun didn’t say a word as you passed your ex, and you kept your eyes firmly locked on the shelves all the way at the back. When you’d almost made it, you heard your name being called.

“Hey is that you? How have you been?” He sounded too happy. Too normal. You tensed up, but snapped out of it when Heejun squeezed your hand. You looked up at him. He didn’t need to say it out loud, but you somehow understood what he was thinking. Just stay calm, get it over with. You’ll be okay. You nodded, took a breath, then turned to look back.

“Hey Jaehyun, I’m good.” You hoped that was enough. Really, you weren’t interested in hearing how he was doing, but you could at least pretend not to be bothered by him talking to you. Heejun’s grip on your hands tightened slightly, enough to make you look up.

When he wasn’t looking directly at you, his eyes were piercing. They were almost frighteningly intense and unfeeling. The second he looked at you it faded, and you found yourself staring into his beautiful, warm, brown eyes. Before eye-contact could settle in, you turned your attention back to your ex. You couldn’t handle the intensity of it all, your heart was already beating too fast.

“I don’t think I’ve met him yet, I thought you introduced me to all your friends.” Heejun’s voice was innocent. As if he was genuinely curious. You raised an eyebrow at him. What was he thinking?

“Oh, this is Jaehyun.” You forced yourself to smile. Heejun’s eyes had a strange twinkle to them. He raised his eyebrows, looking between you and Jaehyun. The latter had stopped smiling and was now staring at Heejun, trying to make out who this random new guy was.

“That’s him?” Heejun asked, incredulous. A strange grin played on his lips. He let go of your hand, but pulled you closer by your shoulder. “I’m sorry, you were right. Nothing to worry about. Nice to meet you Jaehyun!”

You let out a mortified gasp. Really? Really? Out of all the things, he was doing this? Heejun gave your shoulder a squeeze, then pulled what must be his secret weapon out. Puppy eyes, yet somehow your gaze was unwillingly drawn to his lips. Why was he so… y? You bit your tongue.

“I said it was nice to meet him!” He said, as if that was the part you’d been responding to. Maybe it had been. You noticed Jaehyun’s face falling further, and him taking a step back. Well, if it worked then you could roll with it. You didn’t have to force the grin that followed, Heejun was actually being cute.

“I told you! That’s all in the past, that’s why I didn’t want to introduce you. Sorry Jae, we need to get going! We have a party to get to!” You gave Jaehyun a big wave before pulling Heejun along with you. You barely made it around the corner before a fit of giggles worked its way up your throat. No idea why. Maybe nerves? Maybe… You looked up at Heejun and felt warm.

“Well played. I almost believed you. Maybe because I really wanted to.” Why did his voice have to sound so sultry? When you didn’t answer, Heejun squeezed your hand and you remembered you were still holding his. Before you could let go, he tightened his grip.

“I get it. The past sometimes comes back for us like that. But that doesn’t mean you can’t try anything new. We could take it slow, if you want to give it a shot?” His thumb brushed over yours. Your skin was tingling, and your heart was throwing itself hard against your ribcage. Carefully, but not carefully enough, you looked up at him.

“I’ll give you my number. If you’re serious. Otherwise you can just delete it, right?” You tried to play it off as a joke. Heejun carelessly dropped his basket and pulled his phone out of his pocket. Oh. He was serious.