Chapter 7

Gut Feeling

Heejun, perhaps unsurprisingly, was good at a lot of things. Not everything, but he had a strange talent for the claw machines. No matter how many times you tried, you couldn’t catch a single thing, yet Heejun managed to pull a sleeping Bulbasaur out of the machine in his first attempt.

“How did you do that?” You asked, incredulously staring at the plushie as Heejun scooped it out of the machine. He turned to you and shrugged, then smiled as he tossed and caught the plushie in his hands.

“I have a gift. For you.” He winked, laughing at his own joke, and held it out to you.

“Are you sure? It’s hard to win from these machines…” You started, but he pushed the plushie at you again.

“I’ve always wanted to win someone a price like this. Please? Make my dream come true?” He pleaded, pouting slightly. His cheeks puffed up and his lips jutted out. It was childish, but at the same time so cute it was starting to hurt. You took the plushie to make him stop and squeezed it against your chest when he made a noise of content.

“Thank you. I just wish I could win one for you, too. Maybe we should try something else.”

“How about we go to a noraebang?” Heejun wiggled his shoulders as he suggested it, and there was something devious about his smile. You cocked an eyebrow at him.

“Are you just suggesting that to get me alone with you?” It sounded an awful lot like he was doing that. Heejun gasped, and you weren’t sure whether or not he was feigning offence.

“I would never! I just want to show off my professional singing skills.” He patted his chest and grinned.

“Professional singing skills.” You repeated after him. “Pull the other one.”

“No, really! I wrote all the songs you hear in the café. Well, I co-wrote them. And we sing and record together, too.” It took you a second to process that he was completely serious.

“Really? That’s so cool...” You gaped. Your mother had never let you do anything artistic, but you’d never had the talent anyway. And there was something really romantic about someone singing to you. No one had ever done that for you.

“You’re not going to tell me it’s not a stable future?” Heejun asked, slipping his hands into his pockets. It felt weird, and you realized it was weird, because so far he never had to ask your opinion on things.

“I thought you had a knack for guessing things.”

“Not if I’m nervous about the answer.” It came out almost like a sigh. You made a face. He didn’t seem the type to get nervous, but of course he was an actor of sorts...

“You don’t need to be nervous about that. I don’t... I’ve lived my life according to the rules that were set for me. Everything I do is what my mum thinks is best.” You paused, feeling vulnerable about admitting that. But it was true. Heejun just gazed at you, and you couldn’t quite read his face. “What I mean is, I really admire you doing what you’re interested in. It doesn’t matter if it’s stable or not, as long as it’s the right thing for you. And I think musicians are cool, anyway.”

Heejun reached his hand out, his face still the same way, and brushed his fingers through your hair a few times. It gave you a strange feeling. Something inside your chest was ticklish. After he your head, Heejun let his hand rest on your shoulder.

“It can’t have been easy to live like you did, either.” He said, then his eyes lit up again. “So let’s go singing together. Let’s do everything you’ve wanted but were never allowed!”

His enthusiasm was infectious. Yes, you wanted to try it, and it felt safe to try it when he was with you. In high school all of your classmates had gone to noraebangs, but you were never allowed to go. It’d made them closer, while you as the sole student who was left out became more and more distant from them. And now, you could be close to someone like that. It made your heart flutter.

“I can’t sing, though. Is that okay? Promise not to laugh at me!” You bit your lip, fidgeting your fingers at the newfound source of anxiety. Heejun nodded calmly.

“I promise. Do you mind if I use the restroom before we leave?” He gestured behind him where you noticed some stairs and a bathroom sign.

“Sure!” You waved him off as he left, he ducked his head back down wave at you from the stairs, then rushed off. He was cute. So cute. Bulbasaur was getting crushed in your arms again.

“Miss?” A coarse voice awoke you from your musings, and almost made you jump in surprise. There was a man looming behind you, and you noticed a group of man dressed similarly in loosened, occasionally stained suits watching him intently. And you. Instinctively you took a step back.

“How can I help you?” You answered, a little tersely. He smelled of booze, though he did not appear drunk.

“I couldn’t help but overhear... if he’s trying to get you alone and you’re uncomfortable with that, you’re welcome to join us.” He gestured back at the group. One of the men grinned. You frowned.

“I’m here on a date, why would I be uncomfortable being alone with him?” And why on earth would you feel more comfortable with a group of men you didn’t know? Your displeasure came across clearly because the man stumbled, having realized his mistake.

“I didn’t mean that! I just... that guy gives me the creeps is all.” He rubbed his neck awkwardly. Heejun? The creeps?

“Honestly you give me the creeps. I’ll be fine, thank you for your concern.” Your voice was sterner than you’d meant for it to be. The man let out a groan, but did back off to his friends. You let out a breath you didn’t know you were holding.

“What’d he want?” Heejun’s voice asked from behind you. Even though it’d come just as suddenly, he didn’t make you jump. Maybe because you were mad. You turned to him and felt the tension eb away from you.

“He wanted to let me know I can join him and his friends if I don’t want to be alone with you. I told him I’d rather be alone with you.” That didn’t sound as complimentary when you put it like that, but Heejun didn’t look offended. He glanced at the group of men. When you followed his gaze, you found them all to be staring. “What a bunch of creeps…”

Heejun didn’t say anything, but his stare became hard the way it had when you were in the supermarket with Jaehyun. Before the staring competition could go too far, you reached for his hand and squeezed it. He snapped out of it and gave you a smile, squeezing back softly. There he was again, that cute bundle of smiles and grins that made your heart do strange things.

“Let’s go, I want to serenade you.”

 

Singing was another thing that Heejun was good at. When you’d settled into a room, he was an entirely different person. The smiling, mischievous flirt made room for a strangely quiet and serious man. Even though it was ‘just a noraebang’, he eyed the lyrics on the screen cautiously, taking them in and drawing breath carefully before he sang.

He had a voice like honey, having a sweet sound to it. It sounded so sweet, you were almost distracted from how talented he was. Almost. After the first ‘warm-up’, he picked a slow, old song that sounded very familiar. The melody awoke a sense of nostalgia in you. You knew this song well, you realized as he began to sing, and you were immediately hit by a wave of emotions. Tears were trying to fight their way out of your eyes.

Your dad used to love this song. You remembered, very vaguely, how he would turn on the song. He’d sit down and sigh, pat his lap for you to come sit, and tell you how “this was the real music”. How long had it been since you’d last seen your father? You hadn’t thought about him in a while, but all of a sudden the memories wouldn’t leave you. You tried to wipe at your tears secretly, letting the song move you quietly, but Heejun noticed more than you’d hoped. Once he finished the song he turned to you with a puzzled expression.

“That… Bad?” He asked doubtfully. You quickly shook your head.

“No! No! It was… Really good. I was just really touched… Mission accomplished, you’ve impressed me with your vocals.” You weren’t sure why you were lying. It wasn’t even a full lie, you had been extremely moved by his singing. Heejun plopped down on the seat next to you and took your hand, holding it quietly. Was he doing the thing where he knew what you were thinking? If he was, he guessed correctly you didn’t want to talk about it.

“How about we sing something together? Something you like. Anything you want.” He whispered, tracing his thumb in a spiral pattern on the back of your hand. “Smiles don’t look as pretty on anyone as they do on you. Just tell me what’ll make you smile again.”

“Even if it’s… What about… Disney?”

“Dear, I’m about to show you a whole new world.”

Somehow, you ended up singing for two and a half hours. You understood why people loved it so much. At first, it was a little scary because Heejun was really good at singing, and you didn’t want to damage his eardrums by singing, but as time passed and you shared a few sodas, you started to feel more comfortable and the two of you sang, sometimes in tune sometimes ear shatteringly terrible, until you ran out of coins to increase your time. Heejun insisted on at least riding the subway home with you, as it was suddenly close to midnight.

 

“Will you be able to get home okay?” You asked, for the fifth time, as you got off the subway. It was already past midnight, and the last cart was leaving the station. Heejun didn’t seem phased by that at all, squeezing the hand he hadn’t let go in quite a while.

“I’ll be able to get home just fine, my place actually isn’t that far from here. I’ll take a taxi.” He smiled, bumping his arm playfully against yours as he turned to lead you out of the subway. A taxi? But those were expensive, especially at night. And what if he couldn’t catch a taxi? He couldn’t stay at your place, the dorms didn’t allow male guests in your room. And Mina would… Would he be okay?

“You have to message me to let me know you got home okay! I’m sorry it all dragged out so late.” You mumbled, following him towards the exit. He laughed.

“You’re sorry… That our date ended up lasting long? I’m not sorry about that at all.”

Suddenly you heard a noise. In front of you, descending clumsily down the stairs leading to your exit, you noticed a scraggily looking man. Beard, dirty face, ill-fitting, torn clothing, no shoes, swaying and carrying a half empty green bottle. He was homeless, and drunk. You’d seen this particular man before a few times, though only from a distance and you’d never spoken to him. His eyes shifted quickly before landing on you. Heejun pulled your hand behind him as the man started for you.

“Would you mind holding my other hand? It’s getting cold.” He smiled at you, but his eyes weren’t smiling. You nodded, shifting to his other side and taking his hand. Heejun moved himself partially in front of you, shielding you as approached the man. The stairs led to the university dorm, you’d have to pass by him. Step by step, you felt the tension building, but didn’t dare to look at the man. Instead you just looked at the signs on the wall. No littering. First aid the other way. Please let people off the subway before getting on.

“Could you spare some change?” The homeless man bellowed out, possibly louder than he meant to. The noise made you flinch. Heejun stood firm, the fake smile frozen on his face.

“I’m sorry, I don’t carry cash. Good evening.” He said quietly, then pulled you along with him. For a second, you thought it might have gone well, that you’d been nervous for no reason. Then the man started yelling.

“What about that ? She doesn’t carry cash either?”

Heejun stopped dead. You wanted to keep walking, but he wouldn’t move. You looked up at him, but the lights flickered and you couldn’t see his expression properly. The homeless man called out again, adding in another few choice slurs about you. You pulled on his arm, but Heejun didn’t budge.

“Hey , you got money for me? You’re not above me, !” Snap. You weren’t sure exactly what happened, but in an instant everything changed. Heejun’s face twisted, before melting into a strange, serene expression.

“Stay here, darling.” He smiled as he let go of your hand and patted your shoulder, then turned and started towards the drunk. You wanted to chase him. Was he insane? That man had a bottle, that could be a weapon… But you were frozen in place. Stupid, useless legs.

Heejun walked calmly, then he stopped about a meter away from the man. His footsteps echoed in the subway, then it became eerily quiet. The man had stopped yelling and was now staring at Heejun. His back was straight, and you realized how tall Heejun really was. He was shorter than Seoham, and Inseong, but he towered over the homeless man.

“You don’t call her that.” He spoke slowly. His voice was quiet and calm, but there was a command in his tone. The homeless man half started a sentence, but Heejun interrupted him in the same, oddly calm voice. “You don’t call her that.”

“I’m sorry. I’m just drunk, man…” The drunk staggered, stepping back. His eyes had widened, and he was staring at Heejun intensely. Heejun didn’t move a muscle. The man stepped back again, then bolted. You weren’t sure where he was headed, but he soon disappeared around a corner. The sound of his bare feet scraping over the floor slowly faded into nothingness. Only once it’d gone completely, Heejun’s knees gave out and he plopped onto the floor. You were by his side before you knew it.

“Are you okay? Are you crazy?! Are you okay?!” You half scolded, half pleaded, kneeling next to him. He was trembling. One side managed to win over the other and you slumped down in front of him, trying to catch his gaze. “Heejun you idiot… Are you okay? He didn’t hurt you, did he?”

“My heart is beating so hard…” He whispered, haphazardly reaching for your hand and pulling it to his chest. It was. It was beating so heavily, you’d almost think it was trying to break out of his ribcage. Heejun’s eyes darted around for a while before finding yours. “I think… If you’re comfortable calling me names, we’re getting closer aren’t we?”

“You’re an idiot.” You muttered, then wrapped your arms around him in the tightest hug your shaking body could manage. His heart was still beating heavily, and you were intensely aware of the way he was drawing breath right next to your ear. “Don’t go around defending my honour if it puts you in danger. I’d much rather be called every single insult than have you get hurt.”

“But I got a hug out of it. I’d say it was worth the near heart attack.” You could hear him grinning again. What a relief. His arms slipped around your waist and he let his head rest on your shoulder. “Do you think you could help me get up? I feel dizzy.”

“Are you saying that just so you can hug me?”

“No, I can’t feel my legs. Please help me.” Halfway through the please he started laughing. You had to laugh, too. It wasn’t funny, and yet you couldn’t stop laughing. It made you feel better. You took a moment, then steadied your legs and pushed yourself up, trying to help Heejun stand as you did. It sort of worked.

He was still leaning against you. You weren’t sure whether or not he was playing a joke on you, but you didn’t really mind. For the rest of the walk home, his arm rested comfortably around your shoulder, while his free hand held the closest one of yours. By the time you reached your dorm, the spring had returned to his steps.

“So…” He started, looking up at the sky as you reached the entrance. He couldn’t come in with you, so you’d have to say goodbye. Heejun turned back to you, his expression… desperate? You weren’t really sure what to read from his face. Finally he spit it out. “Is there any hope I can have a second chance at a first date?”

“How about a first chance at a second date?”

“A second date? Are you asking me out?” His eyes twinkled. Your knees felt weak.

“As long as you don’t try to defend my honour. Yeah, I’m asking you out.”