Chapter 20

Gut Feeling

Surprisingly, Heejun’s bizarre idea helped. Either that or, as Dongwon suspected, you just naturally healed after enough time had passed to let your body heal now that you finally had some rest from all the stress of university, your mother and the internship. No matter which one it was, you were feeling a lot better.

“I’m glad you’re feeling better.” Heejun smiled, tucking a strand of hair behind your ears as he placed a wooden tray on your lap. You were sitting upright in his bed, where he insisted on you staying at least until you’d had breakfast.

“I am too. And you’re sure you’re alright?” You asked, placing a hand over his. He’d been cooped up with you here for a good few days. If he were going to be sick it probably would have been obvious already. Heejun shook his head, picking up a slice of apple and holding it to your lips.

“Never been better love.” He said, carefully wiggling the slide between your lips. You nibbled at it to humour him.

“I should call Prosecutor Lee… She’ll be wanting to kill me.” You sighed, trying to manoeuvre off the bed. Heejun caught you before you could and wrapped his arms around you.

“Breakfast.” He insisted, guiding your hand to the plate in front you. “You’re not leaving here before you eat.”

“Am I leaving here after I eat?”

“Lord, she says such cruel things. You would leave me, in my time of need?” Heejun said, dropping back on the bed. You laughed and lied down beside him, rubbing your shoulder against him. He had such a sweet smile, you found yourself thinking. His eyes were just that little bit mischievous, devilish but devilishly handsome.

A light buzz run through you when he took your hand in his, safely tucking your fingers between his. It felt so desperately good to be connected to him. For a few seconds you let yourself believe you could stay like this a little bit longer, leave the rest of the world behind and just drown in his perfectly beautiful eyes.

“You’re too handsome. Why are you so handsome?” You asked.

“Aww… You’re too cute.” He leaned in and pecked your nose. “Because I love you.”

You were sure your heart stopped for a moment. Love? Loved you?

He’s probably already convinced himself that he’s in love with you.

Heejun seemed to realise the gravity of what he’d let slip so casually and sat up, looking away from you. Embarrassed? Scared? You sat up as well and wrapped your arms around him.

“You almost gave me a heart attack…” You mumbled, nestling your face on his shoulder.

“You don’t have to say it back… It’s enough for me that I feel it.” Heejun said.

“I… I’ll say it when I’m ready. I’m sorry. I like you a lot, really. I just… I’m still…” You bit your lip and tried not to hug him too tightly. “Jaehyun said that too. Right before he… And I know you won’t do that. I just need…-”

“You don’t have to explain sweetheart.” Heejun turned to face you again, cupping your face in his hands. “If and when you feel ready to say it back, I’ll accept it, but I’m in no rush.”

“You’re no fair.” You sighed, turning your head to kiss his hand.

“I’m very fair. Your tea is getting cold, though.”

“Is there anything I can do to distract you from breakfast?” You groaned. It wasn’t that breakfast wasn’t appealing, you simply didn’t feel hungry. There was something you wanted, or that might be nice to eat, but you couldn’t really put your finger on what it might be. Regardless, nothing else looked appetizing.

“You’re really not hungry?” He asked.

“No.” You were about to tell him about the strange hunger, no thirst, but he’d spent enough time worrying about you for the past few days. “Sorry, I really appreciate the work you put in to make breakfast. You’ve been so sweet. Can I do anything for you?”

Heejun grinned, again his eyes glistened, and he carefully placed the tray on the bedside table. The air felt charged, you felt your heart beat faster and were oddly aware of the blood rushing through you. Your cheeks felt hot. Heejun leaned closer to you, his nose brushing past yours, but he stopped just short of kissing you.

For a few seconds you sought after words, hoping there was something you could say. Nothing came to mind. You inhaled, the scent of your boyfriend permeating your nostrils and seeping into every part of you. Your boyfriend. Even thinking the phrase made your heart lunge in your chest.

“Yes?” Heejun hummed, his lips tauntingly close to yours. You shivered, overcome with the need for the distance to be closed.

“Yes.”

 

His bare chest felt so hot against your skin. It was almost as though your fever was back, especially with how dizzy you felt. Then again, that had more to do with how dizzying Heejun was. Your cheeks were burning and you felt grateful to have your back resting on his chest. It rose and sank steadily. His breath hit against your neck where his head rested against yours.

What were you supposed to say now? What do couples do after… Even thinking about it made you feel shy. Embarrassed. You inhaled, dizzied again by the presence of him all around you. In spite of feeling shy, you didn’t regret it. You didn’t have to look at him to see his face in your mind, clear as day. Out of every person you’d ever met, everyone who’d ever meant anything to you, he was the most precious. You loved him. Would it feel cheap to say it now? You pondered on the question, but just as you were about to open your mouth a ringing disturbed the peaceful quiet. Your phone.

“Why?” Heejun grumbled, wrapping his arms tighter around your waist. Despite yourself, you laughed. No, Heejun would never change.

“Maybe we should be grateful they even let us have a peaceful morning.” You sighed, stretching out and reaching for your phone. Heejun sighed but loosened his hold on you, rolling onto his back.

“I’ll get the shower ready.” He said, leaning in to kiss your shoulder. You blushed, quickly grabbing your phone to answer it. And tried not to think about his silhouette as you heard his footsteps leaving.

“Hello?” You said, sitting up and instinctively pulling the blanket up to cover your chest. It wasn’t as though the person on the phone could see your ness, and yet you felt the need to cover up.

“Hey, it’s Eunseol.” Your stomach sank at the sound. Were you going to be yelled at? You pursed your lips and pulled up at knee.

“Hey Eunseol. Sorry I didn’t reach out before…-” You started, getting ready to apologise profusely over being absent, but she interrupted you.

“It’s not about that! .” Your eyes widened. You hadn’t heard her curse, or ever even raise her voice. It was trembling now. “Sorry. I’m a bit flustered right now. We have to let… No that’s not… Ehm…”

“Hey, calm down. What’s going on?” You asked, feeling your stomach twist. Whatever it was, it wasn’t good.

“Prosecutor Lee is missing. A few days after you became sick she stopped showing up to work, and she didn’t answer her phone. We thought she might have gotten sick, which really isn’t in character for her but…” Eunseol’s voice cracked, and you thought you heard her choking back a sob. “She never came back. And no one knows where she is and there’s no one in her house and… And…”

Eunseol’s voice faded into a whimper and you heard the obvious sob. You swallowed, trying to think of what to say. Prosecutor Lee had never been kind to you, but she clearly meant a lot to Eunseol. And of course it was terrifying that she’d gone missing. She wasn’t the type of woman to just vanish into thin air.

“I’m so sorry.” Why did it feel like the right thing to say? “I’m sure the police are doing their best. Are you okay?”

What a stupid thing to ask. Of course she wasn’t okay!

“Not… Not really. She’s not the easiest person to work with, I know that, but Ahyun, I mean prosecutor Lee, she… She was always good to me. She gave me a chance when no one else would and… Well… She’s like family to me.” Eunseol sounded so small. Family, huh? You glanced over at the door. Heejun was standing quietly in the door opening.

“A-anyway… The office is closing down for now. So… I’m sorry. I’ll let you know if they find her.” Eunseol sniffled.

“Thank you. I appreciate that.” Your tongue felt completely dry in your mouth. “Hang in there Eunseol… And… Call me if… Just, anytime. Okay? Call me whenever you like.”

“Thank you.”

The air was dead now. All the butterflies and nerves you’d felt mere minutes before seemed to have wilted. You barely thought to pull a shirt over your head as you slipped out from under the blanket.

“My boss is missing.” You said. Heejun blinked.

“Your… The awful boss from your internship?” He asked quietly. You nodded.

Heejun muttered a profanity. You staggered over and wrapped your arms around his waist, resting your head against his shoulder. He raised a hand, brushing your hair softly.

“It’s okay. Everything is going to be okay.” He whispered. His voice was strangely empty. You closed your eyes tightly. Would it be?