Chapter 17

Gut Feeling

You really did try to leave the café and go home, but Seoham caught you and helpfully brought you back to your chair, staying to chat even though he really ought to be working. He was genuinely very nice, but you got the feeling that he was purposefully keeping you there. That was confirmed when, as the café started to close, Seoham remained by your side, blocking your path until the last guest had left and the other hosts congregated around you.

Heejun replaced Seoham, taking a seat next to yours and taking your hand firmly in his. If it was just Heejun and you, you would have been fine. Unfortunately, Dongwon had taken to lecturing you about the importance of following health care etiquette. Meaning, you were going to stay cooped up inside until the illness had passed. You weren’t game for that.

“I’m not sick. I have an appointment with my professor tomorrow. I can’t stay home.” You complained, though you still happily accepted the warm comfort of your boyfriend’s shoulder. Boyfriend. Your heart fluttered as you contemplated on the word. How that made sense you weren’t quite sure, but it made you happy.

“You’re not sick yet.” Dongwon corrected, stacking bottles of vitamin pills in a white paper bag. Where he’d gotten that kind of equipment you weren’t sure, but you suspected he still had some attachments to pharmacy if he was able to get this many vitamin bottles on short notice. “And you won’t be staying home. Half your dorm has keeled over. I’m not letting you go back there.”

“If I already have it, then why does it matter if I go back there? I can’t be infected twice.” You protested, ignoring momentarily that Dongwon had said he wouldn’t let you go back to your dorm as if he was in any position to let or not let you do anything. Dongwon paused, then glared at Heejun. You couldn’t see Heejun’s reaction but you felt his arms slipping around you.

“Convince her.” Dongwon finally said as he pushed the paper bag at you. “Please take them. One each daily and two of the vitamin C. Morning and evening. I’m sorry for being so bossy but I’m really, really worried and I want you to be as healthy as you can be before you really start to feel this thing.”

“Dongwon...” You sighed, deliberately not looking at Heejun for fear of him ‘convincing’ you. “I appreciate that you care about my health. I really do. It’s sweet of you, but I can’t just drop everything.”

“Is it because your boss is a witch?” Inseong suggested airily. You made a face at him.

“I never said she was.”

“Oh you don’t have to. I’m not Heejun but I’m also not an idiot.” Inseong smiled pleasantly, leaning back in his seat. You wanted to rebut him, but couldn’t think of a way to demonstrate that he was an idiot and that he should be quiet.

“Are you all done?” Jihun’s voice interjected. You tensed up, but when you turned to look at him, Jihun didn’t even look angry. He looked tired. “You’re crowding her and you’re making her uncomfortable. Inseong, go help Seoham. Dongwon, tables don’t clean themselves. Heejun… I guess you can take her home. Her home.”

You hadn’t expected for Jihun to side with you. Maybe it was convenient for him because it would mean you leaving the café, but then why was he telling Heejun to take you home? Clearly you weren’t the only one who smelled something off here. Heejun got up, turning to Jihun and probably not accidentally blocking your view of him. And Jihun’s view of you. You couldn’t tell what kind of stare-down they were having, but Inseong did jump from his chair and Dongwon also left.

“Just take her home, Heejun. It’s the twenty first century. We have excellent doctors, medicine and health care. Even if she gets sick, she will be fine.” Jihun said. He sounded much calmer, and his words made sense. You got up, but Heejun grabbed your wrist before you could get past him.

“Why are you being nice, Jihun? You told her to break up with me, you clearly don’t like that she’s my girlfriend. Why are you being nice?” He demanded.

“I’m not being nice. We just happen to share a goal. Youjin is coming over today, so you should probably hurry.” With that, Jihun turned around and left. You blinked. Youjin wasn’t a people person, so it was probably not all too common for him to visit. It seemed to be especially important to them. You considered asking Heejun why it was so significant that Youjin was visiting, but pushed the thought aside when you saw him practically deflate at the notion.

It turned out you didn’t have to ask anything anyway, because as you headed for the door Youjin’s imposing figure appeared behind the glass. He was quiet as he stepped through the door, giving Heejun a brief glance before setting his eyes on you. It was hard to read anything from his face. Though he held your hand, Heejun went completely quiet. Youjin stepped closer to you, crouching down slightly as he looked over you.

“You should visit my café when you get better.” He said as he straightened up again. “Dongwon is right. Listen to him.”

Although you didn’t know why, you instinctively knew not to argue with him. You nodded at him, and he seemed to know you’d gotten the message because he smiled. Or at least, his lips quirked upwards ever so slightly. It would have to pass for smiling. Heejun clutched your hand tightly.

“I won’t be long.” He said quietly.

“Get her home safe. My cats like her.” Youjin gave Heejun a nod before walking past you, presumably to be greeted by the other guys. Next to you, Heejun still looked tense and uncomfortable. Maybe it would be better if you just went home on your own, you decided, gently prying your fingers out of his hold. As you’d nearly pulled them free, Heejun snapped out of it and placed another hand over yours.

“Let me walk you out.” He smiled, though he looked strangely tired. You didn’t object. It felt as if Youjin was still watching you.

Heejun finally lightened up once you’d stepped outside. Even for you, who had no context for whatever happened between the six men, found the air easier to breathe. For about three seconds, until you coughed. As you did your best to get it under control and pretend absolutely nothing was wrong, Heejun pulled you into a hug.

“Youjin’s the oldest. If he says something we just listen to him. He really doesn’t like people, so that might as well have been an invitation to move in with him.” Heejun commented. You nodded as if that explained everything.

“He seems nice. I’ll let you get back, it sounded like you have something important to talk about.”

“There’s nothing more important than getting you home safely. But I really shouldn’t be rude.” Heejun sighed, then squeezed you tighter. “What do you mean he seems nice?”

“I just meant that he seems nice? He has a lot of cats and he’s not loud. They’re good qualities in people. He’s not you of course, but he seems like a decent person?” You tried, wriggling to try and look at Heejun. Once you managed, you found that he was grinning. Your heart skipped a beat. He looked devious, yet somehow angelic at the same time.

“Oh of course, he’s not me…” He whispered, and you felt his voice making your bones tremble. Your boyfriend seemed very aware of the effect he had on you, grinning wider yet as you did your best to keep a straight face. “He’ll never be me. And he’ll never have you.”

“I’m going home. You should probably get back inside.” You tried.

“Not yet.” Heejun put some of his weight on you. “Couple’s should never part ways without a kiss. I don’t know when I’ll get to see you again.”

“Heejun! If I’m really ill then… I don’t want to get you infected!”

“I don’t care. I want to kiss you. Please?” The pouting was definitely on purpose. Jutting those perfectly soft lips out just to entice you. Honestly, there was nothing you would like more. There was just the slight issue of prying eyes. You decided to just peck him on the lips quickly. As was to be expected, it didn’t end up being just a quick peck.

Heejun’s hands held your face as he kissed you, slowly but warmly. It was almost torture, but torture of the best sort. Your heart soared and you closed your hands, letting the loose fists rest against his chest. Unfortunately, you felt another cough come up and jumped back so you could direct it away from him.

“Ah, sorry… I’m fine, but I’ll follow Dongwon’s advice and I’ll take extra vitamins. Promise. Go on inside.” You smiled, blowing Heejun a kiss. He pretended to catch it and nodded as he brought the captured ‘kiss’ to his chest.

“Call me when you get home. I miss you already.”