Chapter 18

Gut Feeling

“Well, it certainly isn’t easy to change your major after you’ve already been at it for a year, but it’s easier to change it now than it would be if you changed it next year.” Professor Choi smiled, flipping through some papers. “And I think that it would suit you well. You’d fit in well in our department. What I recommend is that you apply for the relevant courses for the next semester. You’ll be able to catch up on most first year mathematics courses, and the ones you need you can take next year’s first semester.”

He handed you a thin folder, which you took but didn’t open quite yet. It would be rude. Instead you nodded and smiled at him. Professor Choi went on to explain that the folder included the information on the courses you’d need to follow, and what you could do this semester to prepare yourself for it. It was all a bit dizzying, but overall you felt really good. A sense of warmth, pride and joy swelled in your chest.

“Thank you so much, professor. I promise I’ll work really hard.” You said. It was a typical thing to say to one’s professor, but this time you meant it completely sincerely. This was something you were willing to work hard for. Your very own, self-chosen future. For the first time ever.

Professor Choi seemed to understand your earnest intentions and gave you a small smile before gesturing at the door. There was nothing left to discuss, as far as he was concerned. You nodded, bowing your head at him before getting up from your seat and leaving the office.

The energy and excitement swelled up in you, but just a few steps later you felt the energy plummeting and had to lean against a nearby wall to overcome the sudden fatigue and dizziness. Almost as if on cue, you felt your phone vibrate. Dongwon most likely, you thought as you gathered your breath. Once you’d mustered energy again, your suspicions were confirmed.

The host had been messaging you consistently, prying just a little too much about your health for your comfort. Curious, and suspicious, you looked around to see if the tall man was anywhere around you. It seemed like he knew you were feeling ill. He was checking up on you, but even over text you could feel his concern. It was kind of him to care, but his anxiety was causing you stress.

Dongwon: Are you taking the vitamins I gave you?

You: I am. Don’t worry.

Dongwon: Give me a call. I want to hear for myself.

You decided to turn off your phone.

 

As if to punish you for your avoidance of your sudden, personal doctor, you woke up feeling as if you’d been run over by a truck. Your head was pounding, your throat felt dry, and your entire body felt sore. You forced yourself to sit up, and immediately felt cold shivers when the blanket slipped down. When did it get so cold in the dorm?

“You look awful… Are you going to be okay?” Eunseol asked. Her usually sweet voice still had the same feigned concern, but there was a hint of something shimmering through her face. You weren’t sure if it was disgust or distress, but couldn’t focus enough to decide on either one.

“I’ll be okay. There’s a big case coming up, right? I’ll just stick to…” You felt a dizzy spell coming up and had to grab onto the counter to stop yourself from falling. “I’ll stick to my paper work.”

“I’ll come bring you some water. And I’ll see if you can go home early, because you need to rest.” Eunseol offered, exactly at the moment you realized what the undertone in her voice was. Definitely disgust. She didn’t want to get sick herself. You couldn’t blame her for it, so you forced a smile and nodded at her.

 

Things just refused to work out. In spite of your best efforts to stay put and keep working at whatever pace you could manage, it just didn’t seem to be good enough. The papers kept falling from your desk, you couldn’t focus, and Prosecutor Lee seemed extra on edge. Probably the big case she was working on. You tried your best to be considerate, but when she called you into her office you could barely keep yourself from falling over.

“Intern, what the hell is this?” She demanded, slamming a stack of papers down on her desk. You weren’t sure what ‘this’ was, aside from some documents, and innocently looked up at her. It only seemed to enrage her.

“This is the second time today! Are you trying to ruin me? Can you do anything right?!” Prosecutor Lee shouted, her hand coming up. You flinched, your vision blurred and you tried to brace yourself without looking like you were bracing yourself for an impact.

“Hello.” Dongwon’s voice cut suddenly and rather sternly through the air. Prosecutor Lee froze where she stood, her hand still raised to strike you. You heard the sound of scuttling, Eunseol trying to say something, and Dongwon’s louder footsteps immediately finding his way to your office. Prosecutor Lee stepped back, regaining her composure just before Dongwon appeared in the doorframe.

It was apparent that he somehow knew exactly just what had been going on inside the room, though, because his expression was set to thunder. You’d seen him concerned before, and you thought that was the extent of how angry Dongwon could be. You’d been very wrong. Dongwon stepped inside the office with the slowed, strained pace of a man employing every hint of willpower not to erupt into anger, and turned to face you.

“I’m here to take you home, sis.” He said. For once, you decided not to question him on anything. You were desperate to get out of there, anyway. “It’s ten pm. I don’t assume you have any complaints about that?”

The host didn’t even bother to hide his resentment from your boss, giving her a brief glance before reaching an arm in between you, placing it on your shoulder to manoeuvre himself between the two of you. You followed his guidance, stumbling slightly as you felt dizzy. You must have blinked, because your vision blurred over for a few moments.

“You’re going to be okay. I’ll make sure you get home okay and you can rest.” Dongwon said, his voice much quieter. You weren’t sure if he was trying to comfort you or himself, but nodded regardless.

“I feel dizzy. And cold.”

“You have a fever. I brought a scarf.”

You vaguely felt the cloth being wrapped around your neck. It was soft, and relieved you from the persistent shivers. The pure exhaustion, cold and relief to have someone there who you could trust caused your body to give out. Dongwon’s arm wrapped around your shoulder just firmly enough to help you walk. You heard voices, Eunseol was squeaking, the prosecutor was protesting, having finally found her voice. And more voices. Dongwon’s grip tightened.

“I’m sorry to have imposed, but I will be taking my sister home. She needs medical attention.” Dongwon’s voice, but calmer now. It dawned on you that, much like Heejun had experienced, people tend to find it weird when men carry nearly unconscious women away. And he was impersonating your non-existent brother. You raised your head, taking a deep breath to do your best to help him.

“I wanna see dad. Can we go home now?” You didn’t have to add much whine to your voice, it came naturally. You tugged on Dongwon’s shirt, blinking to try and focus your vision on him. He looked uncomfortable, but nodded at you.

“Let’s go see dad.” He said, and started walking again. The voices were quiet, so you assumed that everyone had come to accept the sudden existence of your brother and him taking you out of the office. Dongwon stopped once more on the way out, wrapping you in a coat you belatedly realized was yours, then lead you outside.

It was cold outside, but your clothes were warm and the scarf was insulating you nicely. You wanted to keep your eyes closed, but the cold made it easier to open them and follow along with where you were going. At first the steps were a little too large for you, but they soon slowed down. Dongwon sighed, and you noticed the vapour in the air. The temperature had really gone down.

“Sorry about… You know what? I’m not sorry about that. I’m sorry they’ll be nasty about it, but I’m glad I got you out of there. You really shouldn’t be working.” Dongwon announced.

“So you’re my brother now?”

“I couldn’t say boyfriend, and I didn’t think friend would be convincing enough.”

“And… You don’t think they’ll check if I have a brother?” You questioned. Dongwon shook his head.

“I think they’ll have something else to worry about very soon.” That sounded just a bit too ominous. You raised an eyebrow at him, trying to figure out what that meant. They weren’t going to try that legal action, were they? Dongwon stayed quiet though, continuing to lead you through the city.