Smile For Me

SaTzu Dumps to Help Me Through the Drought
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Student!SaTzu AU

*Same-aged SaTzu

 

***

 

Early mornings meant fewer students. That was how Tzuyu always preferred. Fewer students equalled to fewer interactions which also meant saving up her social energy, motivating an untroubled and pleased Tzuyu to arise from her shell.

A pair of soft hands extended its way to enfold Tzuyu’s own in a tender squeeze. “Tzuyu.”

She spoke too soon.

The said girl turned her head and was met with an unfamiliar sight to her that deemed a bit strange. The generally energetic girl she came to know for the past year was recognised in school for her stellar vibrancy that left glittering trails of stardust wherever she strolls. Just one glance at her and one could say their problems in life were fixed. A fact backed by both boys and girls who were left beguiled by her mere presence.

On some days, Tzuyu was convinced that Minatozaki Sana could fart rainbows and it would carry a redolent aroma. On other days, Tzuyu resented having that revolting thought cross her mind.

The Sana portrayed in front of her was suspiciously a normal one. Her face adorned a calm expression with her shoulders slackened a bit. Her honey-coloured eyes were clearly discernible enough for Tzuyu to determine that the older girl was lost in her own thoughts.

Sana’s eyes darted to look at the floor absentmindedly. “Why don’t we go out with each other?”

Huh?

Studies suggested that specific areas of the brain were known to elicit freezing behaviour in subjects. Like the time Tzuyu was called out to present in front of the class or when someone’s talking about their favourite dog breeds within earshot. This moment was added into the lovely list.

While Sana had her endless catalogue of girls for her to conquer, Tzuyu was an exception. She never explicitly clarified as to why though.

So, why did my best friend just confess to me?

“Woah, what are you saying?” Tzuyu jerked her hand away and could not help but let out an awkward laugh. “We’re both girls.”

“Yes, but I still love you a lot.” She took note of how Sana started to twiddle her thumbs, her eyes began to blink away any creeping tears but still remained to burn a hole into the solid floor. “Do you hate me?”

Okay, this is not fair. Making a face like that is cheating. “I-I didn’t mean it like that.”

As if a switch flipped inside Sana, no longer were the restless gestures and the typical Sana resurfaced before her with a proud smile. “I’ll take that as a yes then!”

“Huh? Wait—”

“Okay, it’s decided.” Sana readjusted her backpack strap and waved enthusiastically, turning around to prance to her class.

“Wait, Sana!”

It was too late. Tzuyu just signed a death contract with a succubus disguised as a human.

 

———

 

And that was how the two started dating. They would eat lunch together, go out for some bites after school, go shopping, chatting etc. But they had already done this before, numerous times even. They basically fell back into their regular routines with each other, only this time as girlfriends.

Two weeks had passed and Tzuyu could not shake the thought out of her mind. The relationship they currently had was no different from when they were as best friends, aside from Sana containing her hormones around girls. She honestly did not know what she expected. Something more special? Something more exciting? They were so-called girlfriends after all.

Surprisingly for Tzuyu, Sana never once made a move on her or pushed her luck. Sana was still Sana. Although, the newly established label between the two ceased her from openly flirting and chasing after other girls which were abnormal for Tzuyu to watch, quite unsettling too since she was not used to seeing her so… tamed, to put it mildly.

Tzuyu moved a straw around in her watermelon smoothie, motioning it in loops. Maybe I am just overthinking. She took a peek at Sana and she did not regret abandoning the sight of her sweet, thick and creamy beverage for something that was far more inviting.

Like a blossoming flower, Sana featured a growing smile that held such happiness to be able to reach her eyes. There was something about every smile she showcased and Tzuyu could not pinpoint the exact words for it. It was warmer than the welcoming sunlight on cool days. It was enough to whisk away the insecurities from deep within. It was something she always treasured ever since the day she met her and when the smile was directed to and only for her? Even the wisest Oxford prodigy would lack the language skills to decipher how she felt.

As long as Sana’s happy. “What are you smiling about?”

“Nothing, I’m just happy being with you,” Sana breathed out.

Tzuyu was thankful she didn’t take a sip as she was confident that she would’ve choked. “Charming.” She placed her palm on the table, eyes glancing at her wristwatch on reflex.

“It’s getting late.” She consumed the last remaining of her drink and scooted her way out with Sana following suit.

The modest restaurant huddled despondent among the huge city buildings. Hundreds of people rushed by it, outside on the crowded street. The two girls escorted themselves out. Unlike the outside, the interior of the restaurant was warm and cheery, with bright lights and colourful walls. The conversations from the customers faded as the door swung closed behind and the sound of the bustling city greeted their ears.

“Can you go home by yourself?” Tzuyu pulled out her phone to check any unread messages.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine.”

“Alright, I’ll text you when I get home.” She stuffed her phone back in her backpack. She fully turned to Sana and sent her a quick smile. “Take care on your way back.” Sana’s hand crawled up and firmly grasped her shoulder. “See you tomorrow—”

Sana’s sensuous lips met with Tzuyu’s in a sudden peck. It was brisk, almost faint, but it was enough to taste the subtle tartness that lingered on her slightly chilled lips as a result of her mixed berry smoothie. Even when her brain short-circuited, she managed to process the fact that she was kissed by Sana.

Prior to this, Tzuyu never once envisioned herself in a position where they would kiss. She never imagined what it would be like to have her lips submit itself to Sana’s. She never imagined how unusually pleasant it was. She never imagined the weird sensation that took place in her stomach. But that one brief act of affection, if Tzuyu could call it that, had her thinking about everything and nothing simultaneously.

Sana flashed a smile and waved goodbye. “See you tomorrow, Tzuyu!”

With that, Tzuyu was left alone with her thoughts. Her hand instinctively brought up to touch her own lips, her mind still reliving the incident even as she arrived back home.

She kissed me. Sana kissed me.

She walked up to her room and nearly slammed her door shut before flopping on the bed and thrashed her pillows around. “And in front of all those people too. What if someone saw us?”

Somehow, that was not what she was worried about the most. Tzuyu sank her face into her pillow. “It was my first kiss too.”

Not only that, she could not understand why her fast-beating heart proceeded to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter