What could go wrong?

The First and Last

After a few days, your mind was getting a lot clearer not thinking too much about Taeyong. You just hoped Doyoung and the other guys can somewhat help him to get a grip of himself. The effect of Hyemi being not around more than one week apparently was unexpectedly serious. No one could ever imagine he would try to find a way to you.

You were waiting for good news from Doyoung about that particular friend. Yet it seemed the information you had been waiting for wouldn’t be heard in the near future. Doyoung kept saying it was difficult to see him as he perhaps were avoiding meeting either you or your dear fiancee. Frankly speaking, you were on the edge of giving up trying to make Taeyong understand. So was Doyoung actually.

There was one thing that had been disturbing Doyoung, which he had been denying it himself. That one moment when Taeyong got him triggered. These past several months since you said yes, he found it pretty lovely. It was just your usual friendship but obviously with different feeling. He enjoyed being with you more than he thought, yet he was being lowkey being so obvious about it. It just felt right choosing you to share moments in Doyoung’s entire life. Did he unexpectedly catch feelings and fall for you? If he really did, and if he ever told you, he wondered if you would react the same like you did to Taeyong.

Doyoung was reminded of his own words to Taeyong back then. He remembered how Taeyong got hysterical pointing at him, saying how he didn’t love you like Taeyong did. Doyoung didn’t even argue and defend himself. Instead he acknowledged Taeyong’s words. He really admitted he didn’t love you, just like Taeyong said. Screw it, he thought. If I have to be a hypocrite, then let’s be it.

“May I have a word?” he asked as he pulled over the car right in front of your gate.

You nodded as you unbuckled the seat belt, so you can turn to face him in a more relaxed position.

“About us… I know we started all of this without romantic feelings to each other. You also heard me when I chose you to be the first and the last. But I would like to learn to love you deeper, not as friends anymore, but you, Choi Jooyeon as a woman. The only woman in my life, after my mom, of course.”

Your hands went towards your mouth as you gasped dramatically on purpose. Your eyes were sparkly but it didn’t necessarily mean you were excited to hear it from Doyoung. You were more on the teasing mood and he realized that right away.

“Hey, I mean it.” He playfully hit your forehead. “I hope you don’t mind. And I kinda hope that you could do the same?”

You smiled as you gently grabbed his hands. “I’ll try. As long as you don’t rush anything.”

He beamed back at you. “Well, they say love comes when you’re used to the person you’re spending time with. It’s like picking up a new habit, don’t you think?” He was right, you had to admit it. You didn’t spend that much time with him. Even this relationship you were going to engage with for the rest of your life was odd, and somehow it reminded you to a fake dating scenarios, perhaps growing genuine love out of it wouldn’t be a bad idea at all. Love does need time to grow afterall.

Furrowing your eyebrows, you pretended to disagree. “What? But you do realize that learning to draw as a new hobby is not the same like living with a new person for the rest of one’s entire life, right?” you teased.

“I will pretend that you get my point.” He chuckled. “Anyway, I have something for you.”

“Ooh, present? I love present.” You blinked to show your excitement.

Doyoung maintained his grin as he took a small box from his pocket. “Open it,” he said, offering the box before your face.

Still smiling as well, you pursed your lips as you eyed him. “Even if it’s only a keyring, I promise I will treasure it,” you joked before you opened the lid.

A crisp of small laughter escaped Doyoung’s mouth. He was anticipating your reaction when you see inside of the box. Although it was nothing fancy, he hoped you could see his genuine intention.

“Here goes.” You added your own drumroll BGM when you took off the box lid. And that was when a gold necklace with little ornaments of moon, sun, and stars was exposed, instantly catching your attention as your eyes were sparkly looking at the jewelry. “Uwah, Kim Doyoung…”

“Pretty, right?” He looked proud of himself. “I got your taste right, didn’t I?”

“Acknowledged,” you admitted as you gave him a glimpse and approval smile before looking back at the necklace. “I’ve been looking for this stuff because I have matching rings and earrings, you know?”

“Of course I do. You’ve been babbling about that ever since,” he responded proudly. “Come closer. Let me put it on.”

You nodded, grinning as you took off your scarf. Then Doyoung proceed to loop the necklace on your exposed neck as you made a low ponytail with your hand. The smell of your perfume and your shampoo penetrated his nose, making him slightly nervous as if it was the first time being this close that it felt somewhat intimate.

“Done.”

You flipped your hair gently. “Thanks, Doyoung.”

“Thanks to you too, Jooyeon,” he muttered gently. He flashed you his softest smile as he took his time to lock his gaze at you. For the first time, he ran his fingers on your hair, brushing and tucking it behind your ears. A rapid heat instantly crept up on your cheeks along with your racing heart.

Doyoung kept on leaning in his body towards you, placing one of his hands on your head while the other one was on the car seat supporting his body, to a some point that you felt uneasy and nervous as well. He made you unconsciously leaning backwards, until you were already at the end of the car door and your back stuck against the door. “Do-Doyoung?”

“Hm?” he responded, with his smiley expression fading out. He looked contemplating of what he was doing, yet he kept getting closer.

When your noses brushed against each other, somehow it was a cue for you to close your eyes, grit your teeth, and hold your breath at the same time in panic. That was also when he slowly kept going forward and eventually connecting your lips that lasted for only 3 seconds. He broke the kiss quite abruptly yet he didn’t pull himself right away. Instead his face was still there, less than 5 cm from yours. You both blinked shyly and was unable to make proper eye contact. Even you almost forgot how to breathe.

“I-it’s okay, right? I.. I’m doing okay, r-right?” he stuttered as he blushed.

“Why are you asking that? You just make it weirder and even more awkward.” You faked whining as you tried hard not to stutter as much. You didn’t want to look embarrassed although you could feel your cheeks getting a natural reddish blush.

“Was it terrible? But, you see, you know it’s not my first time. I can do better. I know it’s not your first time either. I just…” he started talking fast as if he was rapping. You didn’t know what to respond so you just froze there, pursing your lips. When you thought he was going to pull himself away, instead he leaned in again. You were taken aback and you wished you could jump out of there.

“Can I try one more time?” he boldly asked, half whispering. He must be supressing his embarrassment and throwing away his awkward self.

You widened your eyes as a sign of internal screaming. You got flustered so much and it was even more embarrassing that he tried to explain himself. Moreover, asking for another try. He was definitely out of his mind.

“Let’s give it a try in another time,” you suggested as you shoved him away with a very gentle movement.

“Oh, yeah, right. No rushing. Sorry.” Doyoung immediately retreat and sat straight. Several loud inhales and exhales were slipped off of his mouth, seemingly a way to cool himself down.

 

Things started to be more awkward with Doyoung ever since he initiated the first kiss. He would try to talk casually to you. But you would avoid seeing him because there is no way you won’t be all red like a boiled crab. Of course you were quite aware about the ‘consequences’ of engaging in a romantic relationship with one, is that at some point you would be lovey dovey with all that skinship. But this is Doyoung, one of your used to be close friends that is being talked about. This was one of the many reasons why you don’t date a guy from your circle. It felt weird to be physically romantic and passionately affectionate with them. Even when one of them now was your soon to be husband.

On top of that, of all people, Taeyong who kept coming back to stop by at your place—either unconsciously or maybe purposively, had to witness the scene when you had no way to escape but to accept that 3 second kiss. Neither you nor Doyoung knew he was there. Doyoung simply thought Taeyong had given up eventually and stopped 'stalking’ at your place. For goodness sake, time kept ticking and the big day for both couples was just getting closer. Taeyong shouldn’t be messing around now. Even Doyoung involved himself way actively—even way eager than you to prepare everything. With the packed schedule and long list stuff to do, you and Doyoung barely met the other friends.

One day you and Doyoung finally had time to breathe after a hectic day from the second fitting for the wedding dress, getting the groom’s tuxedo, finalizing concept for a pre-wedding photoshoot, and matching the flowers with the hanbok colors the parents will wear. Doyoung took you to a tea house he personally visits alone often, particularly since the others were more coffee-person. You let out a dramatic deep sigh, whining and complaining while waiting for a pot of chamomile tea being brewed.

“Honestly why do people make such a fuss for a wedding day?”

Doyoung chuckled. “I promise this is the first and the last time you’re doing all of this.”

“It’s too tiring. Why did I even say yes to you in the first place?” you groaned. “We should have waited for Johnny to get married first and then we can use all the vendors he uses. I mean, the quality would be 100% guaranteed since it’s Johnny we’re talking about.” You continued rambling as you munched the freshly baked cookies served just now.

“I know right.” Doyoung grinned wide looking at your laid back position holding a pillow. “Speaking of Johnny, he’s actually coming here with Yuta and Mark.”

You nodded. You felt all of the remaining energy in your body was not enough to keep on babbling this and that. In silence, you let Doyoung grip your hands and play with them. To this extent, you could still hold the shyness in although you could feel your cheeks slowly heated up. It was odd. Hugging him just felt like the usual, just like hugging your other guy friends. But why when your hands were in his and being playfully squeezed felt different …and somewhat more intimate? And yes, if he goes further and bolder, it definitely will be another story.

Johnny, Yuta and Mark popped out of nowhere without the loudness they usually carry with them, making you startled and immediately pulled your hands back to your own. Yuta and his hawk eyes noticed that and obviously can’t help but teasing you. “No need to be shy, honey. We totally understand,” he said as he tucked his long hair behind his ear.

“Shut up,” you spat as you got up, trying to brush off the embarrassment. “I’ll go to toilet for a while,” you informed Doyoung a bit quietly. You had no idea why you did that though.

Doyoung just nodded as his eyes followed you until you were out of his sight. This was when the mood changed between the guys as the older ones brought up a topic that may or may not affect the steady relationship between Doyoung and you. After this Doyoung seemed to have to wear his poker face and keep the boys mouth shut.

… If that was not too late since you came back from the toilet sooner.

You could catch their words pretty clearly which mostly about that one bestfriend issue. You heard them talking about how Taeyong and Hyemi now became unstable and there was great possibility of Taeyong being on the edge with Hyemi.

You approached the boys without making any sound from your slow steps. “What happened with Taeyong?” you interrupted with a major concern look on your face.

Yuta and Johnny instantly stopped talking. They exchanged look that was full of uncertainty with Doyoung.

“Nothing,” Doyoung responded quickly. “He’s doing okay.”

“Yeah, it’s just a matter of that pre-wedding drama and all,” Johnny added.

“Probably he’s just stressed a lot from the wedding prep. He’d rather work on new songs in the studio.” Even Mark made an excuse.

You looked at each and every guy before you. You tried to read their expression but they were way too good at making poker faces.

“You’re lucky to have Doyoung.” Now it was Yuta’s turn. “Your families are close, you two are good friends. At least that’s already less drama. What else could go wrong?”

You were not sure how to argue against these guys. Even in normal circumstances (by normal it means you bickering over something that has nothing to do with the society interest, environment sustainability and the human being in the universe), you would never win the match. And now in the amidst scenario of 'friends to lovers’ that had never been expected, right on the edge of losing a bestest friend of yours, he dared to say “what else could go wrong”?

You sighed. “But he is really okay, right? He will make up with Hyemi some way somehow, right?”

Doyoung got up from his seat and took your hand, suggesting you to sit down. He knew that instant many things going around your head the moment Taeyong’s name was up. “No need to worry,” he tried to reassure you. A sharp gaze was landed at Johnny’s eyes as Doyoung said, “We’ve got Johnny, the genuine listener—according to Jaehyun.”

The tallest had to draw a big smile and raised his thumbs up as if he was advertising a service. “As a matter of fact, Jaehyun and I will ensure Taeyong won’t get overworked or lock himself in the studio.”

You glanced at Johnny, still with a concerned expression. You just knew there was something about Taeyong they tried to hide from you. And at this point, it was impossible to ask Taeyong directly, let alone to Hyemi.

“Jooyeon, look at the time.” Doyoung tapped your shoulder lightly, yet effectively snapping you to get yourself together. “We promised to have dinner at home. My mom must be waiting.”

“You’re right. We should go now.” You quietly followed Doyoung bidding good bye to the other guys.

The trip to Doyoung’s house was filled by utter silence. Aside from the long day you both had, you couldn’t help but thinking to yourself, again, is this the right thing to do? These thoughts would automatically fade away whenever you remembered Doyoung’s words about no turning back. And also when your parents treated Doyoung like their own beloved son, and vice versa, Doyoung’s parents always welcomed you warmly.

“Honey, what took you so long?” Doyoung’s mom greeted you with a big hug.

“Sorry. We stopped by to buy some cake for dessert,” you sweetly answered.

“Daughters are really the best. Hyesung and Doyoung’s brother now rarely come home. It would be nice if you’re around.”

You flashed a soft smile at Doyoung’s parents.

“Doyoung said you make a good breakfast set. Why don’t you stay tonight and join us for breakfast?” Even Doyoung’s dad favored you a lot.

So that was how you ended up sitting awkwardly in Doyoung’s bed after dinner and dish washing. Doyoung’s mom provided you one of her pajamas while you were waiting silently for Doyoung to come back from cleansing his face.

“Make yourself at home,” Doyoung’s mom said with mischievous eyes and smile.

Once he came back, he directly jumped on to his bed, scooted until he had contact to the wall on the other edge, and started to assemble the blanket. He was preparing for your space beside him and you just stared at him. You could feel your cheeks blushing again.

“Come on, it’s not like we never sleep on the same bed,” he snapped.