Why can't I?

The First and Last

You walked in to a cafe nearby your house with a pounding heart. Earlier you received a text message from Taeyong, saying he wanted to see you. You embraced his invitation with a warm heart. Finally after a long time, this could be the chance for you to explain the whole condition and gain his trust again. To gain your friend back.

You spotted him sitting alone in a corner. He looked a bit off. Was it because Hyemi wasn’t around? You could only hope he was fine. You were worried his mood will affect the conversation between you and him. After trying to calming yourself down, you approached him with a big smile. “Hey, did you wait long?” you greeted.

“Hey,” he greeted back with his little smile. He surely looked low in spirit, making you hesitate whether you should ask about Hyemi whereabouts just for a small talk.

The first ten minutes was spent in dead silent. You only exchanged an awkward smile whenever your eyes met. “How are you doing?” Finally you initiated the conversation.

“Just living life,” he answered shortly. His eyes were locked on his empty cup, sometimes he looked up at you. His hands were fidgeting, either tapping the table lightly or playing with his rings. “Jooyeon, do I really not have any chance?” He finally let out what had been in his mind.

You frowned as you looked away. “Taeyong, please, we’ve talked about this.”

“I’m just hoping you would change your mind. Because…” He pulled a tiny blue tiffany box from his pocket, then he opened the lid to expose a ring lying inside.

It took some time for you to recognize that ring. Until you recalled a memory when Taeyong was almost 24/7 by your side. One day several years ago, you and him went to a jewelry shop to buy new earrings, then your eyes caught some limited design of rings from the shop. You were excited to see them, and of course you told Taeyong about how you liked those rings, yet for you, buying one of those rings was not on your priority list. Back then Taeyong only nodded and gave a short ‘yeah, yeah’ answer.

But now, he got one of those rings presented before you. If this happened several years ago, you would gladly accept that ring but only as a regular gift from a friend. But today, when both of your wedding days were counting weeks, it just felt very wrong. “Taeyong, are you out of your mind?!”

He stayed silent.

“Don’t do this, Taeyong. Hyemi doesn’t deserve any of this,” you pleaded.

Hyemi again. He started to regret why he used to be so stubborn dating Hyemi. She always became his major excuse whenever he had to turn down his friends’ invitation for hanging out. “Sorry, but now I really don’t care about that,” he snapped. “Call me selfish or anything. What matters for me now is whether I could have another chance, and whether we could give it a shot.” He inhaled deeply before continuing his words with shaky voice because he was holding himself from breaking in tears. “I’m this close to leave everything behind just to be with you.”

“I can’t do this.” Unexpectedly, you were the first one to burst crying. This was the most unexpected side of Taeyong. You had no idea he could be this desperate just because he loves you for a very long time and he can’t accept if he had to let you go.

“What is it that you don’t like about me, Jooyeon? What is is that makes you can’t stand being with me?” He cried even more sadly. “Just tell me, and I will fix it.”

You shook slowly, unable to answer him anymore. Both of you just cried silently because it was difficult to find a way. Win-win solution seemed to be impossible for you and him.

“Do you even love Doyoung? Because I’m sure he doesn’t.”

That was something you fully comprehended. It was true that your and Doyoung’s feelings were mutual in terms of not loving each other romantically. But to confirm that to Taeyong wouldn’t do any better, instead it might become worse and it would make him mad. It wouldn’t get to his sanity how two people who were not even in love yet they could get married.

“Hey, Lee Taeyong, cut it out.” A familiar deep voice with irritated tone suddenly barged in before you could say anything. You turned and found Doyoung with unusually displeased look in his face although he still remained calm. But you knew he was gritting his teeth. On top of that, you were confused when he arrived and how long he had been there. You did tell him that you were going to meet Taeyong at this particular cafe. But you didn’t expect him to be there.

Taeyong wiped off his tears in agony. Then he laughed cynically. “Unbelievable. Where is the Choi Jooyeon I used to know?”

Doyoung slowly took your hand, giving you signs to just leave for now. You were hesitating, thinking of staying for a while, just who knows Taeyong would lower his temper. But Doyoung who could read you shook his head, locking his bunny eyes at you with his brows curled. To him, it was quite impossible being coolheaded talking to Taeyong who was headstrong.

Eventually you loosened your arm and let Doyoung take you. “People change, Taeyong. Feelings can change too..” you weakly said after sniffling. And after that you left him with heavy heart.

“If feelings can change that easily, why can’t mine?” he asked loudly to you who did not even turn your back to see him again.

You let Doyoung hold your hand on the way walking you home after the unsuccessful meeting with Taeyong. Unusually, he didn’t speak much. The Kim Doyoung you knew was a person who hated being in silence. He would try to come up with anything that can be talked about. Even when he was upset or feel ecstatic, he would express it through words.

You were already assuming things when Doyoung appeared in the middle of the crying scene between you and Taeyong. It can’t be he followed you and started to act like a protective boyfriend, right? You literally shared your thoughts about that just a few days ago. He wouldn’t cross that line, right?

You started to slow down and eventually stopped walking, making Doyoung who was in front of you leading the way pause his steps as well. He turned around to look at you and your puffy eyes. “Why were you there?” you confronted.

“Don’t get the wrong idea, Jooyeon. I was there because I thought I needed to talk to him too. Not because I followed you,” he explained, knowing where your question would go. “I was going to show up nicely and say hi joyfully. But then I heard him and I just…” He hung his words. His eyes were quivering since he wasn’t sure if he should say that he got triggered by Taeyong’s words. But then it may trigger you and would lead to an unwanted hard conversation since it would make him the least wanted person in your life: a possessive boyfriend. “It just surprised me that how stubborn he was. I’m sorry,” he finished.

You sighed. “No, it’s okay. I didn’t know that he was going to talk about it again.”

“I’ll try to talk to him again with the other guys. Johnny and Jaehyun as mediators might do it.”

Your expression softened. Doyoung pulled you gently to his embrace. He rubbed your back, hoping it could comfort you.

“I appreciate that you’ve been so determined at everything, Doyoung,” you mumbled, looping your arms around his waist.

 

— the very next day

Doyoung as usual picked you up from work. He had been doing this for two weeks. At first, of course you found it weird that he started to act like those typical boyfriends. Eventually you just got used to it and didn’t mind it at all. Doyoung was your friend after all and he kept his word to maintain your friendship and not being that kind of couple. At least not drastically. This effort of his resulted in your parents, particularly your father being very pleased that finally his princess had her guards. No more sleepless nights waiting for you to get home when you had to work overtime.

“Let’s grab dinner before heading home,” Doyoung said as he the car engine. He knew you would reject him directly since it was only Monday and there was never a ‘thank God it’s Monday’. That was why he explained himself quickly. “No worries about Mom and Dad. I have told them you’re going to be late because we’re going on a dinner date. And Dad said okay.”

You shrugged as you had no choice. On the other side, you were actually amazed at how fluent he was calling your parents as mom and dad as if they were his own parents. “Okay then. What do you want to eat?”

“There is this noodle shop near my place,” told him as he drove off.

“Your place?”

“Actually I want to show you the place I’m moving to. It’s fully furnished. All we have to bring is our body and clothes.”

We?” You raised an eyebrow. Well, the last conversation about moving in didn’t finish neatly. As usual, you didn’t take him seriously when he asked you to move with him.

“Only if you agree to move in with me,” he gently spoke, noticing your serious tone and a slight reject intention. So, again, he explained even before you could speak. “You know our parents would wonder where we’re going to stay after marriage. So I have this apartment ready.”

You mouthed an 'oh’ as response, but not continued to say anything.

“Just in case. But staying in either your or my Mom and Dad’s house is fine too,” he added.

Sometimes you almost forgot that you and him were getting married. It had been felt like you just spent your time with a dear friend in the past several weeks. Except the day before when it hit you hard with the rough talk with Taeyong.

You didn’t answer Doyoung anymore until he arrived in his apartment complex. He lead you to his unit while telling you how he got this apartment, how he designed the interior, and how his buddies also had their units in different floors and towers. That means you were going to be neighbors with them if you move in. Taeyong probably had his unit too, yet Doyoung didn’t even mention his name. You started to think it would be a bad idea to live in the same neighborhood when Taeyong could encounter you and Doyoung together anytime anywhere.

You looked around his room which was a perfect replica of his room in his parent’s house. A wide variation of plants in small pots were all over the place and corners. Some matching paintings, mostly white and green with either abstract pattern or plants drawing, were attached on the walls. “It’s nice and cozy,” you commented with a smile. He smiled back.

“Just let me know if you change your mind. If… you know, moving and living together prior to the D-day. You know, getting to know your roommate,” he nervously said. “I, uh.. actually have spared some space in the closet and in the shoes drawer.”

The images of you and him living together in this new place suddenly flashed in your mind. You did wonder whether it would be awkward, or it would be nice to move to a new environment. Will Doyoung really act like only a roommate to share this room with? Or will you have that newly weds life and be real lovebirds with him?

“You’ll be the first to know if I change my mind,” you concluded.

“Okay, I guess I shall wait for that day. Now let’s get some food and then I’ll drive you home.”