Wedding party #2

The First and Last

Another wedding party, another reunion with your school babes. No need to worry about a plus-one since you were going to meet your friends afterall. Nothing to worry about someone to tag along just to brag about not being single. While for you, being single means freedom. You see it as a privilege for being able to hang out alone or with anyone, wander around alone or with anyone, and the most important thing: no need to update your whereabout and whom you are with. Yep, talking about possessive couples out there.

“I’m going to the parfait corner,” you said to your friends. You already thought no one would come with you since no one was a sweet enthusiast like you. You were wrong.

“I’ll go with you,” Doyoung stated.

“Okay, we’re not going anywhere,” said Jaehyun.

You were queuing quietly and barely said something to Doyoung who stepped in to accompany you. Sometimes you just scanned around and found your schoolmates, from seniors until juniors anywhere you looked. Many of them had married, or at least got themselves a significant other.

“Anyway, Jooyeon, I told my mother about you.” Doyoung initiated to talk, effectively distracting you from looking around. “If you miss her cooking, come by to her newly open restaurant. It’s near your office.”

“Really?” Your eyes widened with excitement. “Text me the precise location, will you?”

“Yeah, sure.” He paused while looking at you. “Or maybe we could go together. I’ll pick you up. Just mention the date.”

You nodded slowly. “Okay. Cool.”

Doyoung silently watched you eating your parfait. His eyes were quivering back and forth, looking nervous without clear reason. “Hey, what do you think if we end up together? I mean, together, like… together?”

“Together as in friends, you mean?”

“Together as in… together like Changmin hyung and Sohee noona, or Seohyun noona and Jinwoon hyung.”

You immediately got his reference. You were not surprised somehow, since you never took his words seriously. “Ha-ha, again, very funny.”

“I’m not joking.”

“You’re not?” You raised one eyebrow.

“Well, I’m single, you’re single. We’re both not taken. We have known each other for so long. We’re always in a good term. My mom knows your mom. Don’t you think it’s pretty ideal for us to be together?”

“Are you even listening to yourself right now?” You can’t help but chuckling hearing those words coming out of his mouth, which it sounded ridiculous to you.

“Did I say something wrong?” Doyoung managed to stay cool yet he was actually not so sure of himself right now.

“Suddenly I don’t know what is right and what is wrong.”

“I’m serious, Jooyeon. My mom urges me to get married. I know your mom does too.”

“If you’re serious, you should know marriage isn’t like playing Tinder.”

“Yeah, I know. And I’m not playing Tinder.” He defended himself after feeling wrongfully accused. “Just so you know.”

You scrunched your nose. You didn’t even care if he plays Tinder or not. “Doyoung, do you even have that kind of feeling for me? Because, to be honest, I don’t.”

“Well, yeah, I don’t either.” He shrugged. “But that’s not the only reason for people to tie the knot, isn’t it? Do you know how many people out there getting divorced just because they’re disappointed with their spouses, because they think they know their spouses but apparently they don’t?”

“Your point?”

“I just told you. We’ve been good friends since we were little. We made a pretty good team too.”

You sighed. “Why me?”

“Why not?”

He just got you stunned.

“Besides, I don’t think I’m up to looking for one far from my circle. New people means I need to adjust. As much as I like being social butterfly, I still don’t understand why I should struggle getting to know new people when I already have great people around me. This is a long term relationship we’re talking about. Don’t you think it would be easier to be with someone we’re already familiar with? Think about it. We’ve been friends for over 10 years, pretty long time, huh? So how about another decade or two?”

You were digesting his words. Sometimes he did manage to say a good point. While you wordlessly nodded judgingly at him, you’ve got company. Taeyong and Hyemi.

“Hey, you two look so serious. What are you talking about?” Hyemi tried to make small talks.

You made a quick eye contact to Taeyong. “Nothing.”

“Yeah. Nothing.” Doyoung repeated after you.

“You seem to be closer than before. Are you guys… a thing?” Hyemi asked again. There was a hope in her way of speaking about you and Doyoung. Probably she was praying for you to have your own man very soon, so she wouldn’t have to worry about Taeyong coming back to you.

“No, no, no,” you answered in panic. “We’re just friends. Right, Doyoung?”

“Yeah.”

“Aww. But you will make a great couple. Don’t you think so, babe?” Hyemi leaned closer to Taeyong as she gave a gentle pat on his chest.

Taeyong smiled. But you could tell he smiled half-heartedly. He looked uncomfortable with the only four of you. Or maybe he was uncomfortable looking at you and Doyoung. Apparently to him, you being with Doyoung only was an unusual sight, even in your school days. He used to see you and Doyoung always bickering over something. But again, it was never only the two of you. Usually there would be Sooyoung ganging up with you, while Doyoung had Ten teaming up with him. Now, seeing you and Doyoung very deeply engaged in conversation without targeting each other’s neck, that was… something.

“Why don’t we go back inside and join the others? We haven’t taken a photo together with the bride and groom.” Thank goodness Doyoung had his quick sense and immediately diverted the whole situation.