Chapter 9

The Girl and the Monster (feat. BTS' RM and Jun Jung Kook)

*~*Chapter 9*~*

 

When I woke up, the sun was barely over the horizon. I quickly showered and headed outside. The air felt cool and refreshing against my flushed skin. I made my way to a small mart I had seen on the way here in Jung Kook’s car.

There wasn’t much in the mart, so I just bought a carton of eggs, some bread, and a handful of fresh fruits. When I returned to the house, it was still calm and silent. RM probably wasn’t even up yet.

I set the bag down on the kitchen table and started cooking. Since I wasn’t a good cook, I decided to make the easiest things I could think of: hard boiled eggs and toast.

I set four eggs inside a small pot, covered them with water, and set them on the stove to boil. Next, I grabbed a pan and set two slices of bread inside. I had forgotten to buy jam and butter, so the toast would just have to be plain, toasted bread.

I turned the heat on medium for the bread and turned my attention to peeling and slicing the fruits. About 10 minutes in, I heard the stove sizzling and realized the water was boiling over for the eggs.

“Oh, crap!” I muttered as I pulled the pot off the stove. I dumped out the hot water and poured in cold water. I left the pot of eggs in the sink and returned to cutting the fruits. Soon after, I smelled something burning.

“Oh, my God, the bread!” I grabbed a spatula and flipped the bread over. The underside was burnt black. “Damnit,” I muttered. I tossed the bread into the garbage can and got started on two new slices of bread. I turned down the heat to low.

It was maybe 20 minutes later when I was finally finished with everything. The bread was unevenly toasted, the eggs peeled poorly, and the fruits cut up weirdly, but it was the best I could do. I organized everything on a plate and set them on a silver tray along with a fork and butter knife. There was no milk or coffee, so I filled a glass with water. I added it to the tray.

Carefully balancing everything, I made my way up the stairs. Once I reached RM’s door, I paused and stared at it. I wonder if he’s even up yet. Do I really want to disturb him?

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. My duty is to cook and clean for him. I have no choice.

I balanced the tray against my hip and knocked with my free hand.

No reply.

“RM?” I knocked on the door again.

Still there was no reply. I tried the doorknob. To my surprise, the door swung open.

“RM?” I stepped inside. His stench instantly filled my nose. I saw him sprawled on the bed. The blanket dangled off the foot of the bed. A pillow was on the floor.

Just as I thought: he isn’t even up yet.

I stepped inside and set the tray on his nightstand. With a sigh, I bent down to retrieve the fallen pillow.

“Why are you doing this?” he mumbled.

I jumped up. “What?” I hadn’t expected him to be awake.

“Why are you doing this to me?” he grumbled into the crinkled sheets.

I breathed a sigh of relief. He’s only dreaming…

I set the pillow back on his bed.

“No… Don’t go…” He stirred, kicking the blanket off the bed.

I looked at him. Is he dreaming of her? Is he dreaming of the girl who left him?

I grabbed the blanket off the floor and covered him with it. I tried to pull it up to his chin.

“DON’T GO!!” he suddenly shouted, his arm shooting up.

BAM! His fist smashed into the corner of my mouth. I fell to the ground, landing with a loud thud! I stared up at him, dazed. Wh—what just happened?

“Don’t go…” he mumbled and hugged the pillow next to him.

The corner of my mouth stung. I touched it and winced in pain. I can’t believe that just happened!

I pulled to my feet and hurried out of the room. I ran into the closest bathroom and stared at my reflection. The corner of my mouth was turning bright red. I hope this doesn’t bruise! What if Jung Kook asks me what happened? What am I supposed to say? RM punched me in his sleep? That doesn’t even sound plausible!

With a sigh, I turned away from the mirror and made my way back to the kitchen. I helped myself to the leftovers before situating myself in front of the TV. I switched on the television and flipped through the channels in hopes of finding something good to watch.

Park Yubi’s face suddenly flashed across the screen.

Is one of her movies on?!

I flipped back to the channel where I had seen her face.

“There is a man who loves me,” Yubi narrated as scenery flashed by. It was the beginning of Heart of Stone.

Yubi stared out the train window as landscapes rolled by, one after another.

“But I can never love him,” her narration continued, “because I was born with a heart of stone.”

The screen suddenly cut to a close-up of Yubi’s face.

Hey! This isn’t part of the movie!

Yubi smiled brightly into the camera, standing next to a woman holding a microphone.

Oh! They’re doing an interview!

I took a bite of the poorly toasted bread as I watched Yubi bow and introduce herself.

“So, Yubi,” the interviewer said after she finished introducing herself, “all everyone can talk about these days is your role in the up-and-coming drama, Chingu (Friend). It’s a pretty amazing feat for a new actress to snag the leading role in a drama! Tell me, how did you do it?”

Yubi smiled shyly. “I was just very lucky to get that role,” she answered. “The director actually wanted a relatively unknown actress for the part.”

“How do you feel your role in Chingu is different from your role in Heart of Stone?” the interviewer continued. “Do you think they’re similar or very different roles?”

Yubi smiled as she looked into the camera. I couldn’t help but admire how pretty she was. She could take anyone’s breath away with her beauty.

“I feel that they’re very different,” she started, “In Heart of Stone, my character was a very cold-hearted person. She didn’t care about anyone as long as she got things her way. But in Chingu, my character Eun Mi is a very lively, warm-hearted person. She always puts others first before herself. And that’s what leads her to live a very painful life.”

“Oh, why’s that?” The interviewer was intrigued. 

“Well, Eun Mi is stuck between two loves: her best guy friend and her boyfriend, but she can’t make a decision because no matter which path she chooses, someone will end up getting hurt.”

“Wow, that’s a very hard decision indeed,” the interviewer said. “Which brings me to my next question: LOTS of fans are wondering: do you, yourself, have a boyfriend?”

Yubi laughed at the question. “No,” she answered, looking back into the camera. She smiled, but I saw a hint of sadness behind her eyes. “But there is someone in my heart.”

The interviewer ouu’ed. “Now you have us very interested, Yubi!” she exclaimed. “So tell me, who is this person inside of your heart?”

Yubi shook her head, a small smile still on her lips.

“I see…so it’s a secret, huh?”

She smiled again in response and nodded.

The interviewer quickly moved on to talking about the drama Chingu. “So it says here that you’re playing opposite of Kang Tae Young, a very big star. How does it feel working with him?”

“He’s a great actor,” Yubi replied. “He impresses me every time we shoot a scene together. I feel so honored to be acting opposite of him.”

The interviewer laughed before moving on to the next question. “There’s also a new, up-and-coming actor playing the supporting role. And already, he has fans piling up behind him! Tell me, how does it feel like to work with Jun Jung Kook?”

My mouth dropped open. What?! Jun Jung Kook? THE Jun Jung Kook that I know? 

Yubi smiled again, looking back at the camera. “It’s actually very strange working with Jung Kook,” she replied. “We’ve been friends since university, so it’s weird to act out romantic scenes with him.”

“Ahh~~ I see. So, is Jung Kook the one in your heart?” the interviewer asked slyly.

Yubi only laughed at the question.

“I see… Another secret, huh?”

She smiled again and nodded.

“I guess we’ll have to wait and see for ourselves!” the interviewer exclaimed, grinning at the camera. “That’s all the time we have today for our interview with the lovely Miss Park Yubi. Any last words you’ll like to say, Yubi?”

Yubi nodded and faced the camera. It zoomed in on her flawless face.

“Thank you for your support,” she said. Tears began to well in her eyes. A sad, piano melody began to play in the background. “I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you,” she whispered. “Please always remember that I love you. Thank you.” With that, she bowed.

“Wow!” commented the interviewer. “That was a very emotional ‘thank you.’ Was that for your parents?”

Yubi smiled again. “They know who they are.”

“Well, that’s the mysterious--and always lovely--Miss Park Yubi for you! Now please stay tuned for a preview of Chingu!”

The scene suddenly cut to the Chingu preview. Dramatic music played in the background as the four main characters’ faces flashed by. Jung Kook’s pretty face flashed across the screen for a split second. I choked on my toast. 

OH, my God! It IS him! How come he never told me he was an actor?! But come to think of it, how come I never even realized it?! He was there to eat with the drama crew at my parents’ restaurant, and he mentioned before that his job makes him work odd hours. Oh my god! I’m such an idiot to not have realized it sooner!

Suddenly, I heard the sound of music mixing in with the noise from the TV. The melody oddly didn’t match up with the screen. What’s that sound? Is RM up? How come I didn’t hear him leave his room?

I listened closely. Wait, it’s not coming from upstairs. It’s coming from…from my room?!!

I gasped. It’s my phone!

“Oh my god!” I shrieked and bolted to my feet. In my haste, I knocked over my breakfast. I ignored it and dashed into my room. Sure enough, my phone was ringing. I grabbed my phone and quickly answered. “Hello?”

“Kyungi? Are you all right? You sound surprised,” Jung Kook’s worried voice transmitted through.

“Sorry, I was just watching TV.”

He laughed. “Well, you didn’t call me so I was worried maybe RM had thrown you out,” he teased.

“Oh, right! Sorry, it completely slipped my mind!” I apologized as I sunk to the ground.

“No worries as long as you’re fine.”

I smiled. Suddenly Yubi’s interview came to mind. “Ah, Jung Kook!”

“Yes?” He sounded surprised that I had suddenly called his name.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were an actor?!”

“Oh? How did you find out?” He sounded perplexed and amused at the same time.

“I just saw Yubi’s interview on TV, and they mentioned you.”

He laughed. “Well, I guess my secret’s out now. Surprise!”

“What?”

He laughed again. “Well, since you know now, how would you like to come see us film today?”

My jaw dropped open. “What?! Are you serious?!” I shrieked.

“Yup! Just get ready; I’ll pick you up in an hour.”

“Okay!” I quickly bid him farewell and hung up, my heart racing. I can’t believe it! Jung Kook is an actor, and I get to hang out with all these famous people today! My life just keeps getting better and better! 

But…I wonder if RM knows Jung Kook is an actor too? Well, maybe not since he’s so detached from the world...

I quickly brushed the thought from my mind as I scrambled to get ready. Now’s not the time to think about RM.

Once I was ready, I went to clean up my spilled breakfast. As I was washing the dishes, I heard RM moving about in his room. Moments later, his bedroom door creaked open. I turned off the faucet and listened as he took a cautious step out. The sound of his bare feet against the floor grew closer as he descended the steps. His sour body odor grew stronger as he came down the stairs.

“You’re up?” I called from the kitchen.

He stopped dead in his tracks. He stared at me with his hollow eyes as he stood rooted to the bottom of the steps.

“I made breakfast. I put it in your room; I hope you don’t mind.”

His eyes remained glued on me.

The hair rose on the back of my neck as he continued staring at me without a word. “I—I didn’t know what you liked, so I just made eggs and toast,” I stammered.

“Why are you doing this?” he suddenly asked.

“Huh?”

“Why are you here? Why are you doing every single thing Jung Kook asks you to do?!” His voice was rising with anger.

I blinked. I thought he was okay with me staying here since he gave me a pillow last night. Why is he suddenly pissed off again? 

Wait…does it have something to do with his dream about her?

“Don’t just stand there and stare at me!” he snapped. “Answer me!”

“I—I…” 

The front door suddenly opened, and Jung Kook stepped in.

“Jung Kook!” I cried in relief. I dropped the sponge in the sink and dashed to his side.

“What’s wrong?” he asked when I ducked behind him. He looked up at RM, who was glowering at the both of us from the bottom of the stairs. “Oh, good morning, RM!” he greeted brightly with a smile.

RM scoffed in reply. Without another word, he turned around and made his way back up the stairs.

“Kyungi is going to watch me film today. Would you like to join us?” Jung Kook called after him.

So RM DOES know Jung Kook is an actor!

RM glared over his shoulder, his bloodshot eyes piercing right through Jung Kook. I felt my blood freezing up. I had never seen such a look so full of hatred and resentment before. Then without a word, he stormed into his room, slamming the door shut behind him.

“So I guess that’s a no,” Jung Kook said, apparently unaffected by RM’s cold stare.

“W—will he be okay?” I choked out, the heat finally returning to my body.

Jung Kook looked at me and smiled. “He’ll be fine. What about you? You look kinda pale.”

“I…uh…”

Jung Kook placed a hand on my forehead. His hand felt so warm and soft against my forehead. I felt my cheeks growing hot.

“No fever,” he said at last, removing his hand from my forehead. “You should be fine. Shall we get going then?”

I nodded, not trusting my voice. I quickly followed him out the house.

As he locked the doors, he said, “I hope RM didn’t scare you too much. He’s given me so many of those death glares that I became immune to them. Plus, we argue like an old married couple anyway,” he said with a chuckle.

My eyes trailed to RM’s bedroom window. I wonder why RM gave Jung Kook such a dirty look. Is it because RM has a grudge against Jung Kook for becoming an actor? If so, why? Shouldn’t he be supportive of his friend?

I shook the thought from my mind as Jung Kook led me towards a large, black van with dark, tinted windows parked outside the gates. The infamous celebrity van, I thought as we approached it.

Just then, the door slid open, and the balding, pot bellied, middle-aged man I had seen with Jung Kook at the restaurant stepped out. He nodded his head in greeting. I quickly bowed in response.

“I hope you haven’t eaten yet,” Jung Kook said as he led the way inside the van. “The crew is having breakfast together before filming.”

“Am I even allowed to attend?” I asked as I followed him to the backseat, nervousness crawling through my veins. I glanced at the middle-aged man as he made himself comfortable in one of the second row seats.

“Of course!” Jung Kook exclaimed with a bright smile. “It’ll be fun!”

I sure hope so, I thought as I bit my bottom lip and looked out the window. But I couldn’t shake the nervousness from the pit of my stomach.