Chapter 8

The Girl and the Monster (feat. BTS' RM and Jun Jung Kook)

*~*Chapter 8*~*

 

I slouched down in my seat as we pulled into RM’s driveway. The moon floated high overhead, casting the dark house in an eerie glow.  

My heart grew heavy upon the sight. I was starting to have second thoughts. Maybe living at home and struggling with financial problems was better than living here with a heartbroken monster who thought only about his own misery. 

Jung Kook looked over at me as he parked the car and switched off the engine. The headlights turned off, and darkness immediately sank in. “How are you holding up?” he asked. “You look pale.”

“What if RM throws me out?” I mumbled, remembering the way he had yelled at me to get out of the piano room.

“Then I’ll just throw you back in,” he joked.

I looked at him, wide-eyed.

He chuckled and nodded towards the dashboard drawer. “Open it,” he instructed.

I pulled the drawer open, the light switching on inside. Nestled inside was a small white box with a silver bow. “What’s this?” I asked as I pulled it out.

“You’ll see.”

I opened the box. Inside was a black credit card. I looked at him in surprise. “I can’t take this!” I exclaimed.

“Why not?”

“This is too much! You’re already paying for my tuition, my food and clothes, and now this?!”

“It’s okay,” he said with a smile. “I knew what I was getting into when I asked you to move here. It’s not really much at all. And besides,” he said, sitting back in his seat with a smile, “there’s a $3,000 limit, so it’s not like you can actually go crazy using it.”

“But I…”

“Go ahead and take it. It’s yours to use as long as you’re still employed here.”

“Th—thank you then,” I said, dazed, as I stared down at the credit card.

“What? That’s it? I don’t get a thank you kiss or anything?” he teased. “Come on, now; how about one right here?” he said, pointing to his cheek, as he leaned in close to me.

My face grew hot as I looked at him, at the soft, flawless skin in front of me. I took in the platinum blonde hair that smelled like heaven and the full, supple lips that taunted me for a kiss.

“I’m waiting~” he crooned.

My heart thudded in my chest. I could hear it pounding in my ears. I gulped and closed my eyes, finally leaning in towards him.

Jung Kook suddenly fell back with a laugh. “I was just kidding!” he exclaimed through his laughter.

My heart plummeted to my feet. I turned and stared out the window at the darkness, my face growing hot. 

“You didn’t think I was for real, did you?” he asked, his eyes studying me.

“No,” I squeaked, hoping that he wouldn’t notice that my skin was bright red now.

“If you really want to do it, I’ll let you.”

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. This is a trap, Kyungi. Don’t fall for it.

“I’m fine,” I mumbled as I opened the door and got out.

Jung Kook scrambled to his feet and followed me out. “Wait! Let’s go together!” he called after me. I heard him take my suitcase from the trunk and jogged after me. We reached the porch at the same time. 

“Oil, oil,” he said as he punched in the pass code to the keypad.

“What?”

He looked at me, flashing me a bright smile. “5-1-5-1.”

Is he making some kind of lame joke?

When he saw that I didn’t get it, he just laughed and pushed the front door open and switched on the lights. “Wait here; I’ll go talk to RM.”

I didn’t argue as I waited by the front door. I watched as he made his way upstairs and disappeared into RM’s room.

“I see you’re back,” RM’s sarcastic voice floated down to me.

“Kyungi’s going to stay here with you,” Jung Kook replied.

“I don’t want her here,” he retorted.

“She needs a place to stay.”

“Then why not with you?”

“Why does it matter if she lives here or not?” Jung Kook snapped. “You’re like a ghost anyways.”

“I’m not a ghost!” RM shouted. “I’m still alive and breathing, aren’t I!”

“Then act like it! Don’t just roam the place like a forgotten soul, goddamnit!”

Silence followed. Then I heard RM mutter, “Leave.”

Jung Kook didn’t argue. He came back down the stairs and calmly said, “You can stay here.”

“But RM just said—”

Jung Kook ignored me as he grabbed my suitcase and took it to a room towards the back of the house. Feeling like I had lost again, I followed him quietly.

“This will be your room,” he said as he switched on the lights and set my suitcase inside.

I peered over his shoulder. The room was bare. There was only a window with sheer, white curtains.

“I’ll get you a bed tomorrow,” he said as he stepped back. “Got your phone and credit card?”

“Y—yes.”

“Good.” He paused, his eyes studying me. 

I looked at him, contemplating if I should tell him RM had yelled at me earlier to leave the piano room. 

Suddenly Jung Kook placed both hands on either side of my face and brought his face close to mine.  

I fell back a step, squeezing my eyes shut tight, my mind reeling with the thought of a prospective kiss coming on. If he kisses me now, I swear I’m going to faint.

Seconds ticked by. Finally, he chuckled and said, “Call me tomorrow,” then walked away.

I listened to the sound of his footsteps growing distant. I slowly opened my eyes, my heart racing a million beats per minute. The front door creaked open before closing softly behind him. Silence fell over the house. And just like that, I was alone with RM again.

I sunk to the ground. I really can’t believe I will be living here for the next six months. What am I doing to do if RM stays like this? Or worse, what if RM throws me out tonight?

My heart grew heavy at the thought. With a sigh, I got up and entered my room, shutting the door behind me. I started to unpack. Just my luck; I didn’t think to pack any blankets or pillows.

I grabbed a sweater. This will have to do, I thought as I folded it to resemble a pillow. I shut off the lights and chose the spot furthest away from the door. I laid down on the floor, slipping the sweater under my head, and curled into a ball, turning to face the wall.

“I want to go home,” I whispered. Silence greeted me. I squeezed my eyes shut tight. Strange noises creaked all around me. Before long, I fell into a restless sleep.

I jolted awake to the sound of the stairs creaking. I heard the soft pitter-patter of bare feet against wood, footsteps heading in my direction. My eyes sprang open. My heart raced. Oh, my god! Is RM coming this way?!

The doorknob to my room rattled. 

I wrapped my arms around myself and squeezed my eyes shut tight. My heart thudded. I huddled as close as I could to the wall. The thought of suddenly seemed very real to me. Here I was, alone in some strange man’s home. Can’t believe I let myself get into this situation!

The door creaked open.

Oh, God, please don’t tell me this is how I’m going to lose my ity!

Then it was silent. I slowly opened my eyes, staring at the pale moonlight seeping in through the window. I couldn’t hear RM but I knew he was there because I could smell his B.O.

Then without a word, the door closed, and RM’s footsteps started away.

I let out a deep sigh of relief. Thank God nothing happened. I hadn’t even thought about the fact that I was the only woman here with a man who hasn’t had contact with women in who-knows-how-long.

That thought alone sent panic spiking through my veins again, but it quickly died away when I heard RM’s footsteps disappear upstairs. I was safe again.

But then to my horror, his footsteps returned. I heard him coming back down the stairs.

Oh, my, God! Someone, save me, please!

His footsteps disappeared into the living room before continuing my way.

I’m such an idiot to let Jung Kook trick me into this! What if they’re just serial rapists, preying on stupid girls like me?! 

I gasped. My phone!

Just as I thought about grabbing my phone from the top of my suitcase, the door swung open. I froze in place, my breath caught in my chest. I listened as RM advanced towards me.

If I fight against him, he might kill me. What should I do? Should I just lay here and let him have his way with me?

I couldn’t hold my breath any longer. I gasped for air. The moment I did, the putrid smell of his body odor enveloped me.

RM stopped short.

My nose burned, my eyes watered. I fought against my body to keep from gagging aloud, afraid that it would infuriate him.

I can’t believe this is how I’m going to lose my innocence! To a man who hasn’t bathed since God-knows-when!

When I didn’t move, RM came closer. He kneeled beside me. His B.O. became overpowering. I bit my bottom lip to keep from crying out loud.

His hand touched my head. 

I couldn’t hold it in any longer. A sob escaped my throat. “Just take it!” I cried. “Hurry up and get it over it!” I rolled onto my back. “I won’t fight you! Just do it!”

RM fell back with a soft thump. My eyes flew open. Next to him was a throw pillow from one of the couches.

Oh, my God. He was going to suffocate me so no one could hear me scream!

“I’ll let you do whatever you want; just please don’t kill me,” I pleaded.

RM scoffed and pulled to his feet. He turned away. “Use that as your pillow,” he said, nodding in the direction of the throw pillow.

Wait… He was just trying to give me a pillow? I sat up and watched as he walked away. He wasn’t trying to take advantage of me?

The door clicked shut behind him.

I stared at the throw pillow. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach. For some weird reason, I felt honored that he tried to give me a pillow even though he said he didn’t want me here.

I looked back at the door. “RM!” I shouted. I jumped to my feet and ran out into the hallway. I saw his silhouette in the dark hallway as he made his way to the staircase.

“RM!” I shouted again.

He didn’t bother to stop or turn around. His silhouette grew smaller as he walked further away.

“Thank you!” I called after him.

He disappeared up the stairs. I listened as he entered his room. The door slammed shut behind him. I turned back to my room, my eyes falling upon the throw pillow. I couldn’t help but smile. I laid back down by the wall, pulling the throw pillow under my head. Soon, I fell into a deep, peaceful slumber.