Chapter 13

The Girl and the Monster (feat. BTS' RM and Jun Jung Kook)

*~*Chapter 13*~*

 

The sun was starting to set over the horizon when Yubi drove me back to RM’s house. The setting sun seemed to set the house ablaze in warm reds and yellows. 

“I’m right here,” I said, pointing to RM’s house.

She slowed the car to a stop, her eyes scanning the place. “So you don’t live with your family anymore?” she asked.

“Yeah, at least, not for the next six months; my job requires me to live here now.”

“Alone? With Jung Kook’s friend?” She seemed in disbelief. 

I don’t blame her. It is kinda weird that a man and woman who have no relationship with each other are living together under the same roof.

“Yeah.” 

A long silence followed as Yubi’s eyes traced over the neatly manicured lawn. “It looks nice,” she said at last.

“Would you like to come in?”

She looked at me in surprise. “Can I?”

“Yeah, sure! I never get guests, so it’ll be nice to host one!”

“Okay...”

I jumped out of the car and unlocked the garage gate. I followed behind her car as she pulled into the driveway and parked. As she got out the car, I said, “This way.”

She paused and looked up at the house. I followed her eyes. Only the dark burgundy curtains greeted us.

“Don’t worry,” I said, looking back at her. “He mostly stays in his room.”

“Did Jung Kook say what was wrong with him?”

“RM?”

She looked at me in surprise at the mention of his name. “Yes…”

I shrugged, not wanting to go into details, since I wasn’t 100% sure myself. “He just said something about a heart ailment.”

Yubi nodded, as if contemplating the information. “Are you sure I can go in?” she asked again.

She sounded worried. Maybe she’s terrified of RM too.

“Umm…I think as long as RM doesn’t see you, you’ll be fine,” I said.

Her eyes went back to RM’s window. Her feet seemed rooted to the spot, unable to move. “Maybe…I should come back another day,” she mumbled.

“Are you afraid of him too?” I asked.

She looked at me in surprise. “Afraid of him?”

“Yeah. He terrifies me too, but he usually keeps to himself,” I explained. “Have you met him before?”

She nodded. “A long time ago…”

Oh, well then she probably doesn’t want to see this side of RM. The one she knows is probably clean-cut and well put together. 

Just like the one I had seen in the piano room memories…if that was even remotely possible...

“Yeah…I think you shouldn’t come in today,” I agreed, looking back at her. 

Her eyes widened at my sudden change of heart.

“I just moved in, and I would hate for RM to throw me out,” I explained.

She looked back at his room. “I understand.” She paused, eyes trained on the curtains again. Finally, she looked back at me. “Well, goodnight, Kyungi. Keep in touch.”

“Thank you for the ride. Goodnight.”

She bowed and made her way back to her car. I watched as she backed out of the driveway before making my way to the house.

“RM?” I called as I entered. Silence greeted me. “I have dinner,” I called as I peered up the stairs. I had brought leftovers from my parents’ restaurant. They were packed in a white take-out box, which was then put in a plastic bag along with some plastic utensils and wooden chopsticks.

I made my way up the stairs, the steps creaking under my weight. “RM?” I paused in front of his door. I knocked, but there was no answer. “I’m coming in,” I said and opened the door.

The wave of putrid B.O. hit me all at once. I don’t think I will ever get used to this smell.

I glanced at his bed, but he wasn’t there. I looked behind the door. Nothing. 

Then I spotted him, back flat against the wall, standing motionless next to the window facing the driveway, a faraway look in his eyes.

“Your dinner,” I said, holding up the plastic bag with the take-out box. “I’ll put it here on the nightstand, okay?” I said as I made my way over to the nightstand. The dishes on the tray were empty; he had eaten his breakfast. I smiled as I picked up the empty tray and set the take-out box in its place.

RM suddenly mumbled something, his voice low and deep.

“Excuse me?” I asked since I wasn’t sure if I had heard him. I looked over at him. His eyes were on the ground now. He muttered something again, but I still couldn’t hear what he said. “I’m…going to go…” I said, slowly backing out. He didn’t seem to hear me as he continued staring down at the ground, mumbling to himself. I closed the door behind me and hurried down the stairs to my room.

It was late at night when I was awoken by the sound of a piano. I pulled into a sitting position. I had fallen asleep at my desk while doing homework. The moon was high in the sky, illuminating my room in a pale, blue glow. Sad musical notes from the grand piano swirled in the air.

I opened my bedroom door. The melody grew louder. Is RM playing the piano again? Is he thinking of her again?

I crept out of my room and made my way upstairs in the dark. The music got louder as I got closer to the piano room. It was the same melancholy notes I had heard the first time. 

He is definitely thinking of her!

I paused outside the piano room and peered in. Moonlight streamed in through the floor-to-ceiling windows, illuminating RM in an eerie blue light. I couldn’t help but think how similar he looked to a ghost.

Suddenly the music stopped, and he sat there, his arms falling limp by his side. He stayed there, motionless, as he stared off into space.

“RM?” I asked.

He didn’t budge.

“RM?” I stepped inside the room. I suddenly caught a whiff of his body odor. I stopped short.

He slowly turned and looked at me. 

I froze. His eyes… There was so much sadness and hurt in them. Even in the moonlight, I could see the tears welling in them. 

When he saw me looking at him, he turned back to face the piano. “I miss her…” His voice cracked as he spoke.

My heart went out to him. It was the first time he was actually opening up to me. Every ounce of my body wanted to go console him, but I didn’t know how to approach; I was afraid I would anger him. So instead, I just stayed in place, eyes trained on him. “I know,” I whispered.

“Do you think she misses me?” he asked, his fingers touching the piano keys lightly.

A lump formed in my throat. 

Without waiting for my answer, he started playing the piano again. This time, the notes sang out, low, longing, yearning for his lost love. I remained by the doorway, helpless and at a loss on how to console him. When the song finally ended, silence fell over us. Seconds ticked by.

He was the one who broke the silence first. “Was she pretty?” he whispered.

“Who?” 

“The girl outside today.”

So he HAD seen us in the driveway! Did Yubi see him too then? Was that why she kept looking up at his bedroom window?

“Park Yubi?” I asked.

“She looks pretty…”

Is he…a Park Yubi fan too? Is that why he gave Jung Kook such an angry look when he invited him to join us at the drama shooting? Was it because he knew Yubi was in love with Jung Kook and would never go for a guy like him?

I smiled. “Yes, she’s really pretty; she’s even prettier in person. Why? Are you a Park Yubi fan?” I teased. When he didn’t answer, I continued, “She’s in love with Jung Kook though.”

He hit the piano keys randomly, as if he already knew that information.

“Actually, she asked me today to help them get back together.”

His fingers stopped in midair, the notes evaporating into thin air. I suddenly felt like I had said something wrong. Finally he said, “Good for them,” and stood up. “I’m going to sleep.”

“Goodnight, RM.”

He paused before glancing over his shoulder at me. “Goodnight,” he mumbled.

A smile tugged at my lips as he passed by me. I felt a slight flutter in my chest.  It was the first decent conversation we’ve had since I met him. It finally felt like we had made some progress today.