Chapter 10

The Girl and the Monster (feat. BTS' RM and Jun Jung Kook)

*~*Chapter 10*~*

 

It took about an hour before we arrived on scene. There were black vans all over the place, and people were running back and forth as they carried various equipment around.

“This way,” Jung Kook said as we got out of the van. I followed him through the maze of people and vans until we arrived at a big, blue canopy tent. There were probably 50 people under the canopy. A few were seated at tables while some were helping themselves to food.

“Help yourself. I’m going to go say hi to the director; I’ll be right back.”

I nodded dumbly as Jung Kook took off. Feeling out of place, I stepped to the side and watched as people moved around me, no one bothering to give me a second glance. Minutes passed by, and I felt stupider and dumber standing all by myself. I’m such an idiot for following Jung Kook all the way here! I should’ve known that I would be neglected since he’s one of the main characters!

“Come this way,” a voice suddenly said from behind me.

I looked over my shoulders. It was the middle-aged man from the van. I followed him as he led me towards the front of the canopy tent. As we walked, he introduced himself. “I’m Jung Kook’s manager, Mr. Park.”

“I—I’m Kyungi.”

“You look familiar. Where have I seen you before?”

“I work at ‘Kalbi Time.’ You guys stopped there for dinner a couple of weeks ago.”

“Ahh! That girl who was working alone!” Mr. Park exclaimed. “I didn’t realize you and Jung Kook were close friends.”

I opened my mouth to respond, but we had already arrived at the director’s table. The director was seated at the head of the table with the four main characters seated on either side of him. Jung Kook was seated next to the supporting actress, Lee Na Young, and across from them were Yubi and Tae Young.

My heart raced. How am I supposed to act with so many famous people around!?

Jung Kook smiled at me when he saw me approaching. 

When the director saw him smiling at me, he turned to him and asked, “Who’s this?”

Jung Kook stood up. “This is my friend, Kyungi,” he said. He offered his seat to me. Feeling like I couldn’t decline, I sat down. Mr. Park pulled up an extra seat for Jung Kook before rushing off to run an errand. The supporting actress, Na Young, scooted over to make space for him.

The director eyed me. I could feel his eyes scanning me up and down. He’s probably wondering how Jung Kook knows such an unworthy girl such as me. I definitely don’t deserve to be sitting here at the director’s table.

My stomach twisted into knots. I played with my fingers in my lap. I felt five pairs of eyes watching my every move.

“So what’s your name?” he asked.

“L—Lee Kyungi,” I stammered, my face growing hotter and hotter with each passing moment.

“You look familiar,” Yubi commented.

I nodded, refusing to make eye contact with any of them, afraid they would see how red my face had become. “I work at ‘Kalbi Time’ with my mom and dad.”

“Oh! I remember now!” she exclaimed. “You were the only waitress at that restaurant!”

“Which one?” asked the director.

“The one where the girl fell flat on her face serving soju,” Jung Kook butted in.

Oh my god! I completely forgot that had happened!! My ears burned. Thanks a lot, Jung Kook.

The director burst in laughter. “I remember now! You took a pretty hard fall that night! Are you alright?”

I nodded, wishing a hole would open up and swallow me right then and there. “I wasn’t hurt,” I replied.

Jung Kook laughed and threw his arm around me, bringing his face close to mine. “Oh, my, look at how red her face is now!”

My face burst into flames. The whole table laughed.

Why?!!! Why must I turn red so easily!! This is so embarrassing!! 

 

“Positions, everyone!” the director shouted. They had just finished shooting a dinner scene with the four main actors. Yubi (‘Eun Mi’) had gone outside to bid Tae Young (‘Jun’) and Na Young (‘Nabi’) farewell. She was now getting ready to re-enter Jung Kook’s (‘Jimin’) apartment.

Yubi took her spot outside the apartment door. Jung Kook waited inside the kitchen, standing beside the kitchen table. On the kitchen table was a small cake with one candle in the center. 

“Ready…and ACTION!”

All the lights shut off. At that moment, the apartment door opened, and Yubi stepped in. 

She stopped short, enveloped in the darkness. “Jimin?” she asked. I could hear the amusement in her voice, the sound of her feet against the floor as she shuffled into the dark room. “Where are you?”

Silence.

“Jimin?”

Then there was the sound of a match being struck, and soon, a small orange glow emitted from Jung Kook, revealing Yubi standing right in front of him. Camera 2 focused on her while Camera 3 zoomed in on his face. He smiled, his lips pulling to one side as he lit the candle on the cake.

My heart fluttered as I watched him smile. He gets me every time with his smiles.

Yubi stood rooted to the spot as Jung Kook shook the match out. 

“Eun Mi-ya,” he started, his voice soft and warm. He looked at her, his eyes gleaming in the candlelight. “You know I’ve loved you for a thousand days…” He took her left hand into his. “…and with each passing day, I fall more and more in love with you…” He got on one knee.

Yubi gasped, falling back a step. Camera 2 zoomed in on her face. Tears glistened in her eyes the moment she realized what was coming next.

“I can’t imagine my life without you anymore,” Jung Kook whispered. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a diamond engagement ring, holding it up towards her, the candlelight glinting in the jewel. “Eun Mi, will you marry me?”

She stared at him, the diamond ring reflecting in her eyes. Behind her eyes, I saw sadness swirling in them. ‘Jun’ (Tae Young), her best guy friend, had returned to her life, and with it, her feelings for him. But he was engaged now to ‘Nabi’ (Na Young); and ‘Jimin’ (Jung Kook), who she had loved for the past 2+ years, was now professing his love to her by asking her to be his for the rest of her life.

Seconds ticked by, and she remained silent.

My heart thudded loudly in my ears. What’s going to be her answer? Will she choose the guy she has secretly been in love with since high school, or will she choose the guy who wants to spend the rest of his life with her?

“Eun Mi?” Jung Kook asked.

Yubi opened , but no words came out. Finally, she stammered, “I…I… I can’t...”

Jung Kook’s hand wavered; the ring trembled. His face fell, and with it, so did my heart. I fought back the gasp attempting to escape my mouth. I really thought she would’ve said yes. I mean, who in their right mind would choose someone they’re secretly in love with over someone who actually loves them?

Yubi suddenly started laughing, as if she had pulled the funniest joke in the world. Jung Kook looked at her, his face twisted with both confusion and curiosity. My face probably looked the same way.

Finally she exclaimed, “Babo-ya (Fool)! Of course I will marry you!”

Jung Kook’s face instantly lit up.

What? She was just joking?

He jumped to his feet, a huge grin plastered on his face as he slipped the engagement ring on her ring finger. Yubi choked out a laugh as she looked at him excitedly.

“I love you, Eun Mi!” he exclaimed.

“I love you too!” she replied.

With that, Jung Kook grabbed her, hands on each side of her face, and pulled her close. Their lips met, and they kissed passionately.

I gulped, watching the ardent way he kissed her, as if he was drinking in every last bit of her, his body pressing into hers, ready to become one.

“…and CUT!” the director shouted.

Jung Kook and Yubi quickly pulled apart, and the lights flicked on.

“Wow…” I muttered breathlessly. I wonder if he would have kissed me like that too. I blushed as I reminisced the way he placed both hands on the side of my face just like that the other night. If only he had leaned in and kissed me instead of walking away… 

My face flushed as I watched Yubi and Jung Kook gather around the TV screen and watched the replay. 

“Perfect. Absolutely perfect!” the director exclaimed at the end. “That’s a wrap for today! Thank you, everyone, for all of your hard work!” 

Everyone started clapping.

I waited by myself as the actors made their rounds, thanking everyone for their hard work. At last, Jung Kook returned to me.

“So how did I do?” he asked, smiling at me, his eyes twinkling.

“Oh, my god; you took my breath away!”

“That good, huh?” 

“Are you kidding me?! You guys are all amazing actors! I was seriously holding my breath the whole time!” I exclaimed. “And I still can’t believe I got to watch Tae Young, Na Young, and Yubi act in real life! I’m still in shock from it all! Today just felt so surreal!”

Jung Kook laughed at my amazement.

Suddenly someone called his name. We both looked in the direction of the voice. Yubi approached us. When she saw me, she smiled and nodded in greeting.

“Yes?” Jung Kook asked, his tone of voice changing abruptly. He sounded annoyed now, which caught me off guard. I’ve only heard him use that tone with RM when they argued. 

“So…how’s everything?” she asked meekly.

“I’m kinda busy right now,” he replied curtly.

I looked at him in surprise. His tone was completely different from the way he had spoken with her character, Eun Mi. I looked back at Yubi. What’s going on? What am I missing?

Yubi’s eyes landed upon me.

Is it because of me? Is it because I’m here? Is there something between them that I’m not supposed to know? Come to think of it, in Yubi’s interview, she DID say there was someone inside of her heart, but she refused to answer whether or not if it was Jung Kook. Is it him whom she likes?

“You know Kyungi, right?” Jung Kook said, throwing an arm around my shoulder. “You remember her, right?”

“Yes, I do,” she said, her eyebrows pressed together in confusion, as if she wasn’t sure where he was going with this.

“Well, she’s taking care of my friend, RM, right now.”

“RM?” A blank look crossed her eyes. She looked even more confused.

“Yeah, so I better take her back before RM starts missing her,” he said, tightening his hold on me.

I looked between the two of them. I couldn’t help but feel like I was stuck between a lovers’ quarrel.

“Say goodbye, Kyungi,” he directed me.

“I have to go now; it was nice meeting you,” I said and bowed quickly to her.

“Wait,” she called out.

We paused.

“Do you have time tonight?” she asked softly, peering at Jung Kook with hopeful eyes.

Yup, this is definitely a lover’s quarrel! The person in her heart is definitely Jung Kook!

“I’m sorry; I’m tired.” With that, he pulled me after him. I looked over my shoulder at Yubi. She was staring hopelessly after us.

“What’s going on?” I asked as Jung Kook pulled me through the maze of vans.

“Nothing,” he replied. “Let’s get you back home, shall we? It’s getting late out, and RM might be hungry.”

The image of the tattered RM who reeked of B.O. came to mind. I shuddered at the thought.

“What’s wrong?” he asked. “Are you cold?” 

I shook my head. “I’m fine,” I replied with a small smile. The forlorn image of Yubi drifted through my mind. “But Yubi…” 

Jung Kook’s steps slowed. 

“I think she likes you a lot.” 

He stopped.

“Maybe you should meet up with her tonight,” I suggested.

He looked over his shoulder at me. His eyes studied me, as if he was trying to decide if I was serious or not. 

“You should give her a chance. I mean, there are so many guys who would kill for a chance to even go on a date with her!”

He suddenly burst into laughter, catching me off guard. 

“What? What’s so funny?”

He wiped a tear from his eye and suddenly looked at me, dead serious. “But I’ve already found the girl for me.”

“What?”

He leaned close to my ear, his breath hot against my skin. “There’s already somebody else in my heart.”