Chapter 3

The Girl and the Monster (feat. BTS' RM and Jun Jung Kook)

*~*Chapter 3*~*

 

Rain pounded against the window, blurring the world outside. The sky was darkening, a warning that more rain was to come.

My stomach twisted into knots at the thought of what was going to happen today. I couldn’t believe I actually took up Jung Kook’s job offer. But then again, I also felt bad that my dad was chewing him out. Plus, we really do need the money. Ugh, stupid me! Why do I always get myself into these situations?

I sighed as I pulled out Jung Kook’s business card from my pocket. I stared at his phone number. Half of me felt like this really wasn’t happening; the other half was in shock that it actually happened. Like seriously? A hot guy like Jung Kook wanting someone like me?

I laughed at the thought and shook my head. I pulled out my phone and dialed his number. It rang several times, but no one picked up. 

I bit my bottom lip and hung up. What if it was all just a joke? Some sort of sick, twisted joke between him and his crew? What if they’re all watching the phone and laughing that this short, ugly girl actually thought that he was interested in her?

I shook my head. No. I need to stop thinking like that. If it was all just a joke, he wouldn’t have done it in front of my family. That would’ve been too cruel. Right?

With a sigh, I hung up and turned my attention back to the desolate restaurant. Thunder rumbled in the distance. Oh, great. A storm’s coming. 

I hated it whenever it stormed; thunder and lightning scared me.

Jae Hyuk strolled out from the kitchen with the ‘Kalbi Time’ apron on.

“Are you working now?” I asked in disbelief.

“Is your face still ugly?” he retorted.

I shot him a death glare.

He made a face and said, “Dad forced me to; he even came to my school to pick me up. Do you not know how embarrassing that was?!” he snapped. “He said that I couldn’t hang out with my friends anymore because he needed me to work here since you can’t work anymore.”

“He said that?”

“What? Do you think I would voluntarily do this out of my own freewill?” he barked. “And it’s not like they even need me here; we never get customers!”

“Well, you’ll never know. Don’t forget that Yubi—”

“Oh, shut up about that, won’t you? That was like just a once in a lifetime event. It’s not like it’s ever gonna happen again!”

He has a point…

“And besides, where is this knight-in-shining-armor of yours and that job he offered you anyway?”

“Well, I…”

“Don’t tell me it was all just…a hidden camera prank?” he sneered.

“He’s busy,” I lied, not even sure if I believed my own lie.

Jae Hyuk smirked. “Well, maybe when he got home, he regretted offering it to an ugly girl like you.”

“Shut up, Jae Hyuk, and get lost!”

“Happy to.” With that, he disappeared back into the kitchen. I could hear him shouting something to my parents about going out somewhere and my dad arguing back for him to not go out in this weather.

I looked back at the window. Rain was pouring like there was no tomorrow. Thunder suddenly boomed. I screamed and ducked under the counter. 

Ever since I could remember, I was terrified of thunderstorms. My mom said it started when I was five. It was raining heavily one day, but I refused to leave the playground. My mom pretended to leave me alone in an attempt to make me follow her. But I didn’t care and kept playing. A few moments later, lightning struck the electricity pole nearby.

I could still feel it to this day. The blinding flash of light; the buzz of electricity tingling my skin, the deafening boom of thunder in my ears.

Thankfully I wasn’t hurt, but that moment scarred me for life. Now whenever it rains heavily, I refuse to go out. 

As I ducked under the counter, I knocked the bathroom keys to the ground, and with it, the handkerchief.

I stared at the shiny sheen of the silk fabric. It all wasn’t a joke, was it? 

The kitchen door banged open, and I heard my dad shout, “Kyungi, are you all right?”

“I’m fine!” I called from under the counter. I grabbed the bathroom keys and the handkerchief and pulled to my feet. “I knocked these off by accident, and it scared me,” I lied, putting on my best reassuring smile. I tucked them back on the shelf under the counter. “Don’t worry, Dad.”

He eyed me warily before nodding. “Okay, well, let me know if a customer comes by.”

“Yes, Dad. Sure will.”

With that, he disappeared back into the kitchen. 

I glanced down at my phone. Jung Kook will call me back, won’t he?

 

It was around 7pm, and the rain hadn’t lessened at all. Jae Hyuk was sitting in the back of the restaurant, mindlessly flipping through the channels on the mounted TV. My mom and dad were in the kitchen, whispering amongst themselves. Even though I couldn’t hear what they were talking about, I knew it had something to do with Jung Kook and job he had offered me. 

They’re probably wondering where the heck he is, just like me.

I glanced back at my phone. Still no call or messages from him. I was starting to feel like it really all had just been a prank to get my hopes up.

Suddenly headlights washed over the restaurant window. I could hear the hum of a car engine over the sound of the pouring rain.

I looked up, the headlights blinding my vision. Moments later, the restaurant doors swung open, and Jung Kook stepped in, drenched wet in the few seconds it took to walk from his car to the restaurant.

“Jung Kook…” His name left my lips before I could even stop myself. “Oh my God, you’re soaking wet!” I exclaimed, instinctively grabbing the handkerchief from under the counter. I ran over to him and dabbed the rain off his face.

He laughed and pulled my hand away. “I’m fine,” he said.

“Oh, my, God. You actually came,” Jae Hyuk said in disbelief as he approached us. “Mom! Dad! Jung Kook is here!”

Within moments, my parents rushed out from the kitchen.

Jung Kook straightened up and bowed deeply to them. “I’m so sorry it took me so long to come here; I just got off of work,” he explained.

“No, no, it’s okay!” my mom gushed. “My goodness, you’re all wet! Let’s get you dried up!”

“I’m fine. We’re about to leave soon anyway.”

“We?” I asked, blinking, dumbfounded.

He looked at me and smiled briefly before looking back at my parents. “It’s a little late today for Kyungi to start work, but I would still like to introduce her to my friend. Would it be okay if I take her for maybe two hours tops?”

Jae Hyuk started snickering. I knew he was thinking dirty things. I shot him a death glare.

“Where does your friend live?” my dad asked.

“He’s a bit out of town. So it’ll take a little while to get to him.”

“Give me his address.”

“Dad,” I whined.

“I just want you to be safe, okay!” Dad snapped.

Jung Kook smiled. “Sure, no problem. I can give you his address. Do you have a pen and paper?”

Dad made Jae Hyuk grab it from the register. After Jung Kook wrote down the address and handed it to my dad, my dad looked down at it for a while before looking up and saying, “I want her back before 10.”

“Yes, sir.”

Mom grabbed my hand and squeezed it. “Be safe, darling.”

“Mom~” I whined.

Jae Hyuk snorted. “Honestly, I don’t know what you see in her. You’re pretty good looking for a guy. You should at least be able to find a girl with a chest or an .”

“Jae Hyuk, shut up!” I warned. “You’re only 14! What do you know?”

“Pfft! More than you!”

Jung Kook laughed. “Well, it was nice seeing you all again,” he said to my family. “We should get going now before it gets dark.”

“All right, but go easy on her! She’s still a !” Jae Hyuk called after us.

“JAE HYUK!!!!” I screamed. 

He burst into a fit of laughter. 

OH MY GOD! He is so DEAD when I get back!

Jung Kook chuckled. “I’ll keep that in mind,” he teased.

I could see my dad’s eyes widen with anger as he stepped forward to say something, but my mom grabbed him and stopped him in his tracks, shaking her head ‘no.’ Jae Hyuk laughed even harder, tears springing to his eyes.

“I’ll be back soon,” I said. With that, Jung Kook and I bid them farewell.

Once we stepped out of the restaurant door, Jung Kook looked at me with a smile. “Get ready to run now, Kyungi,” he said.

“What?” The wind whipped the loose strands of hair around my face. Rain pelted the ground, sending up a thin mist of water.

“On the count of three…”

“Wait! I’m not ready!” I protested.

“Three!” Jung Kook shouted and jumped into the downpour. He grabbed my hand and pulled me after him. I screamed as I followed him into the storm. We were both dripping wet within seconds.

We jumped inside his car. The leather seat felt cool against my flushed skin as I sat back.

Jung Kook laughed as he started up the car and turned the heat on full blast. “That was fun, wasn’t it?” he asked. He pushed a couple of buttons, and my seat started to heat up. “Can’t let you get sick now, can I?” he teased, giving me a wink.

I nodded as I wrapped my arms around myself. I was starting to feel cold. “But why don’t you have an umbrella?” I asked.

He smiled. “It’s more fun this way, isn’t it?”

I looked at him in surprise. 

He grinned. “Let’s go!” he exclaimed before I could say anything else and shifted his car into gear.

 

It was about a thirty-minute ride before we arrived at his friend’s house. The house loomed ahead of us, surrounded by trees and shrouded in darkness. It stood out, dark and unwelcoming, against the other houses lit up against the thundering sky.

I couldn’t help but admire it though. His friend must be rich in order to afford a house with a fenced-in yard and a private parking garage. Most people here live in crowded apartment complexes. 

Rain continued to pour, showing no signs of slowing down. The dark gray clouds hung low in the sky, like they were trying to hug the house.

“Wait here,” Jung Kook said as he stopped the car in front of the gate. I watched as he ran out into the rain, punched in a few numbers on the keypad by the gate, and ran back to the car. The gates rolled open.

Yeah…his friend is definitely rich.

Once the gate was fully open, Jung Kook pulled into the dark driveway. The gates automatically slid close behind us, like it was trapping us inside.

Thunder rumbled in the distance. More rain poured down, making it harder to see even with the windshield wipers whirring at full speed. The sound of pounding rain grew louder.

My stomach lurched into a knot as Jung Kook shifted the car into park. I stared up at the dark house. It looked so desolate, so unwelcoming. There wasn’t a single light on, not even the porch light. It was nothing like I had imagined. I really can’t believe this is where I will be working from now on.

“This is it,” Jung Kook’s voice broke into my thoughts.

I looked over at him. 

“Ready?” he asked.

I gulped and nodded. At that moment, lightning streaked across the sky, immediately followed by a loud BOOM!! Thunder shook the car. I screamed and gripped the sides of the seat for support, squeezing my eyes shut. Jung Kook reached over and placed his hand on top of mine. 

“Hey, are you okay?” he asked softly.

I took a deep breath and nodded, slowly opening my eyes. “I—I’m scared of thunder and lightning,” I confessed.

He ran his thumb over my knuckles, sending tingles up and down my spine. “It’s alright; I’m here with you,” he coaxed with a smile. “Let’s go together; I’ve got you.”

My face flushed.

“Ready?”

I nodded.

He reached behind me and grabbed a plastic bag. I saw a white take-out box inside. I assumed it was food was for his friend. 

“Let’s go!” With that, he ran out. He rounded the car to my side and helped me out. Once the car door closed behind me, he grabbed my hand and pulled me after him as we ran up the walkway to the porch.

Another flash of blue light streaked across the sky followed by another thunderous boom.

I screamed again. Jung Kook tightened his grip on my hand and pulled me forward. Moments later, we stood, drenched wet, on his friend’s front porch.

“You okay?” he asked, peering at my face in the dark.

I nodded.

He brushed back the hair matted on my face. “See? You survived,” he teased.

I smiled slightly. Suddenly, I felt a pair of eyes watching us. I looked up. A dark shadow loomed in one of the second-floor windows. Within a blink of an eye, the shadow was gone, and all that was left was the fluttering of the curtain.

I opened my mouth to ask Jung Kook if he had seen that shadow too, but before a sound could escape my lips, Jung Kook had unlocked the front door and pushed it open. The hinges creaked as the door swung open. Darkness greeted us from inside. I couldn’t see a thing.

He reached in and flicked on the lights. The lights flickered once, twice, before it sent out a steady glow. “Come in, come in,” he said, gesturing me inside.

I stepped in. 

“Wait here, okay?” he said as he closed the front door behind us. 

I nodded and watched as he made his way up the staircase, dust swirling underneath each step he took. A puddle of water began to form where I stood. I surveyed the place.

Everything was covered in dust, as if nothing had been touched or moved in a while. A wilted bouquet of flowers sat in a vase on the kitchen table. The bouquet was covered in cobwebs. The heavy smell of mildew greeted my nose. It smelt like no one had lived in the house for a while either.

I cringed. My eyes went to the corners of the house. Sure enough, cobwebs were taking form.

What kind of friend does Jung Kook have? Who lives here like this?

Suddenly, an angry voice drifted down to me. “I never asked for you to bring her here!”

I heard Jung Kook talking but couldn’t make out anything he was saying.

“Take her and LEAVE!” the angry voice shouted.

BOOM!

Another round of thunder shook the house. My heart leapt into my throat as I suppressed my scream. It’s okay, Kyungi; it’s only thunder. You’re safe inside.

The lights flickered. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. It’s only a storm. Be calm. Nothing will happen to you. Jung Kook is here; there’s no need to be afraid.

The lights flickered once more before they suddenly went out. A small cry escaped my lips. I squeezed my eyes shut tighter.

“It’s only a storm. It’s only a storm,” I chanted softly.

Lightning flashed. I could see the flash of light against my lids.

BOOM!!!

Thunder resounded in my ears, like a heavy breath against my skin. I screamed and started forward. But in my haste, I slipped on the puddle of water that had formed beneath me. I watched in slow motion as my feet slipped out from underneath me, my feet flying into the air, the dark ceiling greeting my eyes. I landed flat on my back, slamming my head against the wooden floor. A loud thud resounded throughout the room.

Bright dots danced in front of my eyes. 

“Kyungi!” I heard Jung Kook shout my name.

Steps thundered down the stairs. 

“Kyungi!” Jung Kook skidded to my side. He picked me up into his arms. “Kyungi, are you all right?” he asked as he patted my face.

Stars continued to dance in front of me. His face blurred.

“Kyungi!”

A dark shadow appeared behind Jung Kook on the top of the stairs. A strange stench crawled up my nose. It was such a sour, putrid smell that it took my breath away.

I opened my mouth to say something, but all that came out was a gurgle.

“Kyungi!” Jung Kook started patting my face frantically. “Get it together!”

My eyes glued onto the shadow at the top of the stairs. What the heck are you? Are you real, or are you just an apparition?

Another round of lightning lit up the room. Within that split second, the shadow took human form. It was a guy with a mop of mangled hair. His facial hair stuck out in every direction. He was dressed in a frayed white, button-up shirt and tattered black slacks.

Then, just as soon as he had appeared, he disappeared. The foul stench went away.

The stars faded, and Jung Kook’s face slowly came back into focus. I immediately broke into tears and clung onto him.

“Kyungi! Are you alright?” he asked as relief washed over him.

“Take me home!” I cried as I gripped his shirt. “I want to go home! I don’t want to be here!”

“Why? What’s wrong?” he asked.

“Take me home!” I wailed.

“Okay, okay. Can you stand up?”

I nodded and struggled to my feet as Jung Kook stood up. He picked me up into his arms. As he carried me to the car, rain pummeled us. We were dripping wet once again.

My eyes flew to the second-floor window where I first saw the shadow. There were only the curtains there this time.

Jung Kook buckled me into the passenger seat before rounding the car to the driver’s seat. As he backed the car out the driveway, lightning streaked across the sky, and thunder shook the ground once again. The light in the living room flickered back on as the electricity returned.

The image of the shadow on the top of the stairs returned to me. The tattered-looking man flashed through my mind. The putrid scent drifted back to my nose.

I watched as the house grew further away. The light in the living room suddenly turned off, and the house returned to its original desolate state.