Chapter 23

The Girl and the Monster (feat. BTS' RM and Jun Jung Kook)

*~*Chapter 23*~*

 

“Waiter!” someone from the back of the restaurant called out. Kalbi Time was bustling. It felt so strange being back here, especially since my life had changed so much the last time the restaurant was this full.

My parents were ecstatic to host the production crew for dinner again, and so was Jae Hyuk since he could finally meet Yubi. Even better, Tae Young and Na Young had joined this time.

I rushed over to the table that had called me to see what they wanted. I had donned on the black ‘Kalbi Time’ apron the moment I stepped foot into my parents’ restaurant. Jung Kook wanted me to eat with the cast and crew, but I knew my family needed me more. So while the crew ate, I served them.

“Two more servings of kalbi, please,” one of girls whom I recognized as an assistant asked.

“Right away.” I went to ring up the order before retrieving it from the kitchen.

“How are you holding up?” my dad asked once I entered the kitchen.

“I’m okay. Jae Hyuk’s here to help this time, so it’s not too bad.”

My mom beamed at me from where she stood by the stove, stirring a huge pot of kimchi stew. “It must be so weird for you to be back here,” she said with a chuckle.

She was right. It did feel a bit weird to be serving again after just keeping house at RM’s place.

My mind suddenly shifted to RM. I wonder how he’s doing. Did he eat dinner yet, or did he just skip it altogether?

I pushed the thought from my mind when I heard another table calling for service. I quickly delivered the other table their serving of kalbi before attending to the new table.

It was maybe two-and-a-half hours later before the cast and crew slowly started trickling out. After a while, it was just the director, Jung Kook, and Yubi left.

I glanced at the clock hanging on the wall. It was well past 3 a.m. now. I brushed my hair, which was now matted with sweat, off my face as I strolled into the kitchen, where the rest of my family sat, visibly exhausted. It was way past our usual closing time; since we rarely had customers, we usually closed around 10 p.m.

“Go to bed,” I instructed as I walked in. “It’s just three of them left now, so I can handle them.”

A yawn escaped Jae Hyuk’s mouth as he stood up with a stretch. “Yup, bedtime,” he agreed.

“Are you sure?” Mom asked, looking at me warily. I could see that the bags under her eyes had gotten deeper from tonight’s rush.

I smiled. “Yeah, go home. I think they’re almost finished drinking, so I’ll close up soon.”

Dad nodded. I could see his eyes drooping with exhaustion. “Good night, then, Kyungi. Let us know when you get home.”

Home…he says it as if I don’t live here anymore.

A lump formed in my throat. “I will.” I hugged them each in turn, patted Jae Hyuk on the head, and wished them all a good night. With a heavy heart, I watched as they left out the backdoor to turn in for the night.

Finally with a moment’s rest now available, I walked back into the dining area where I heard the director loudly pressuring Yubi to drink. She kept waving him off, but he continued to insist. Jung Kook just watched without a word. I couldn’t tell if he was drunk or sober, but I knew the director was drunk because he kept falling upon Yubi as he leaned in, a shot of soju in his hand, whining for her to take one more shot with him. Yubi was leaning away, repeating that she couldn’t drink anymore, but the director wouldn’t let up.

“That’s enough now,” I said as I sat down in the empty seat next to Jung Kook.

The director looked over at me, his reactions slightly delayed. “What?” he asked. “Who are you to tell me what to do?” His words slurred as he pointed a swaying finger at me.

“She doesn’t want to drink.”

“She works for me, so she’ll do…whatever I tell her to do...”

“She’s not your slave.”

“You!” he shouted as he slammed the glass of soju onto the table, spilling a bit over the side. He looked at me accusingly, as if daring to ask who I thought I was.

Yes, I’m a nobody, and you’re the director of the most watched drama in this country at the moment. So what?

Jung Kook suddenly reached over, grabbed the shot glass from him, and downed it in one shot.

The director grinned a crooked smile. “There's my good boy,” he said and patted Jung Kook on the cheek, lovingly. With a loud burp, he stood up, stumbling back a step. “I should go home now.”

Both Jung Kook and Yubi instinctively stood up to bid him farewell. I remained seated. The director turned to me, pointing yet another accusing finger at me.

“You…”

I waited for him to tell me off.

Instead, he hiccupped and said, “See you next time,” then staggered off.

I let out a heavy sigh and stood up to clear the dishes.

“Let’s drink,” Yubi said softly, her eyes on the table.

I looked at her in surprise. She looked across the table at Jung Kook.

“Will you join us?” she asked him.

He glanced at me. I could see his eyes were glassy and bloodshot. He shrugged like he didn’t mind.

“Sit,” Yubi said and tugged the bottom of my apron. I took a seat beside her. She poured us each a round of soju. 

“I thought you didn’t want to drink anymore,” I remarked.

“I just didn’t want to drink with him,” she replied, nodding towards the door where the director had left through. As she picked up her shot glass, she said, “To friendship.”

Jung Kook scoffed but held up his glass nonetheless. 

I held up my shot glass. “To friendship,” I echoed. 

We all clinked our glasses together and downed our shots.

I made a face as the alcohol burned my throat. I shook my head. “Ugh, disgusting.”

Jung Kook took a sip of the leftover kimchi stew still on the burner.

“So, how have you been?” Yubi asked, turning to face me. “I’ve been so busy filming these days, I haven’t had a chance to catch up with you.”

Jung Kook snorted in response but remained silent.

I glanced at him. I’m surprised Yubi is tolerating his attitude well.

“Good,” I replied. “My midterms are actually coming soon, so I’m going to have to start studying a lot.”

“Oh, when are they?”

“Next month.”

“Next month?” she sounded surprised. “The same time as RM’s wedding?”

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jung Kook stiffen up. I could tell he was intrigued to see where this conversation would lead.

“Uhh…I guess so…”

“Do you know if it will be a private or public wedding?” she asked.

“Private,” Jung Kook suddenly butted in. 

Yubi looked at him in surprise.

“He doesn’t want nosy people getting into his business,” he replied. I knew he was taking a jab at her.

“I see…” Her face fell. She reached for the soju bottle. I grabbed it first and poured her a drink. She thanked me quietly before throwing it back in one shot. She held the glass out to me again, so I poured another shot. She drank that too. And another…and another… 

She was about six shots in back-to-back before I stopped serving her. By then, she was leaning on the table for support. I had no idea how much she had drank with the crew before I joined.

“Is he happy?” Yubi asked to no one in particular. Her words slurred, and I could tell that she was having a hard time focusing now. I also noticed how her upper body was slightly swaying back and forth even though she was sitting still.

“Happiest I’ve ever seen him,” Jung Kook retorted.

I looked at him. I felt bad that he was lying to her while she was intoxicated. I leaned in towards him and whispered, “Stop it.”

“Stop what?” he asked, meeting my eyes with a sharp glare. Even though his eyes were glassy and bloodshot from drinking, I could tell he was still conscious about what was happening around him.

“Don’t do this to her right now.”

“But she deserves it.”

“Not while she’s drunk.”

A whimper suddenly escaped Yubi’s lips, catching both of our attention. We looked at her. 

She slumped down in her seat, mumbling the words, “I miss him…”

“Who?” I asked even though I knew full well who she was talking about, but I wanted to hear the name straight from . She had constantly lied to me that it had been Jung Kook who she had dated in the past, but now while drunk, it seemed as if she couldn’t even remember her own little lie.

She whimpered again, her bottom lip full on trembling now. “RM…” she choked out, her eyes welling with giant tears. Upon saying his name, her tears broke free, and a sob escaped .

“Now look what you did,” Jung Kook whispered to me.

I gave him a dirty look. I’m not the only one to blame. And I’m not so sure if I like this drunk Jung Kook.

“It’s okay,” I crooned as I scooched closer to her. I wrapped one arm around her shoulders as she leaned against me for support, her body shaking with sobs. 

She shook her head. “It’s not okay,” she cried.

“Shhh…” I tried to comfort her, looking at Jung Kook for help. He only looked away. “Why don’t you tell me everything?” I asked her.

She took in a raspy breath as more tears ran down her face. “I did something bad...”

“What did you do?”

This only made her cry harder. I glared at Jung Kook, eyes widening as if threatening him to help me. 

Finally he sighed and faced her. “We lied; RM’s not getting married.”

Yubi’s sobs stopped for a split second before she continued crying again. She shook her head.

“What is it now?” he asked impatiently.

“It’s all my fault,” she wept.

“Of course, it’s all your fault.”

I kicked him under the table. He jumped in surprise at my sudden attack.

“Not helping,” I whispered sharply.

He let out a heavy sigh. “Why don’t you tell us so we can help you,” he said rather dryly.

She shook her head as more tears came.

He looked at me, as if saying ‘I did the best I could.’

“I just miss him so much, I could die…” she choked out.

Her words suddenly flung me back into the past. 

“I just miss her so much, I could die…” RM’s words resounded through my head. He had said the exact same thing the night he finally confessed to me about Yubi being his ex. I remembered the way he sobbed, yearning for his lost love, his heart aching, crying out for her. And the only thing I could do then was just hold him.

And here was his ex, doing the exact same thing, wanting the exact same thing as him. And in that moment, I realized, why the heck are Jung Kook and I even preventing the two of them from getting back together? RM has returned to his old self—at least physically—and maybe seeing Yubi will bring him back emotionally.

“Come on, I’ll take you to see him,” I offered.