Chapter 22

The Girl and the Monster (feat. BTS' RM and Jun Jung Kook)

*~*Chapter 22*~*

 

A month had passed by since RM cleaned himself up. We still kind of keep our distances from each other, but we were definitely more comfortable around each other now. He still stays in his room a lot, and every now and then he goes into the piano room to play, but at least he sometimes talks to me now. We still haven’t gotten as close as I had hoped, but we were closer now than before, so it was good enough for me.

I continued to cook breakfast for him before going to class, but now he has taken to joining me for dinner, which was a nice turn of events. He’s still pretty quiet, but I enjoy his presence. In fact, he has started teaching me how to cook some simple dishes, and I was surprised to find out that he was a really good cook. He told me it was his hobby before everything had happened.

I smiled to myself as I thought about RM. I could hear him moving about upstairs as I sat at my desk, trying to concentrate on my homework.

As for Jung Kook, it had taken about two weeks before I heard back from him. He told me they were getting close to wrapping up their drama. According to him, there were only three more episodes to shoot. In fact, he had invited me to join them for the next shoot, which happened to be today. I was ecstatic, as you could already guess.

Speaking of which, he should be by shortly to pick me up.

I checked the time on my phone. Yup; 4:30. He’ll be here soon.

I set my books away and made my way upstairs. I gently rapped on RM’s door.

“I’m going to head out soon,” I called. “Will you be okay eating dinner by yourself?”

When he didn’t answer, I pushed the door open. Sunlight streamed in through the window. He had never bothered to put up the curtains after he took them down a month ago. His room was now the bare minimum. He only had a twin-sized bed to the left and a small wardrobe on the right now.

I looked over at his bed. He was lying face down in it, his blanket dangling precariously off the foot of the bed.

I smiled to myself as I grabbed the blanket and pulled it up to cover him.

“When will you be back?” he asked. His voice came out muffled by the pillow his face was buried in. He shifted ever so slightly, just enough to look up at me.

“It’ll probably be late,” I answered.

He buried his face into the pillow again. “Okay, have fun.”

“You know, you’re more than welcome to join,” I offered.

“No thanks.”

I knew he would say that.

“Okay, well, there are leftovers in the fridge, so help yourself when you’re hungry, okay?”

He mumbled something incoherent.

I couldn’t help but smile to myself. Just then, I heard the front door open.

“Kyungi?” Jung Kook’s sweet voice rang out.

A grin split across my face. “Up here!” I called.

I heard RM groan as Jung Kook made his way upstairs.

“Well, well, well; what do we have here?” Jung Kook asked teasingly as he swung into the room. RM remained facedown in bed.

“I was just saying bye. C’mon, let’s go,” I said, grabbing Jung Kook by the arm and pulling him out before he could further harass his friend. 

“Okay, bye, RM!” Jung Kook called over his shoulder with a goofy grin. 

I kept my hand wrapped around his arm as I led him downstairs.

“So, how have you been?” he asked as we made our way down the steps.

“Good, as usual.”

“RM bothering you?”

“No, he’s actually been nice to be around.”

He grinned. “That’s good to hear.”

 

I watched as the cast took their spots as they prepared to shoot the next scene. So far in Chingu, Eun Mi had finally confessed to Jun about her true feelings. In true drama fashion, Jun also felt the same way about her and had hid his feelings for her all along, too. But now they were in a big predicament since they were both engaged to other people: Jun to Nabi, and Eun Mi to Jimin. To make matters worse, Jimin was starting to become suspicious about the two of them.

Tae Young ‘Jun’ took a seat in front of the white, grand piano. Yubi ‘Eun Mi’ sat next to him on the bench, and Jung Kook ‘Jimin’ stood down the hall, ready to walk around the corner to stumble upon the two best friends.

“Action!” the director shouted.

Tae Young started playing the piano, sweet notes filling the room. He opened his mouth and started serenading Yubi, a small smile on his lips as he let his true feelings roll off his lips, confessing the love he had hidden from her for all these years.

Yubi gazed at him, lovingly. As the camera zoomed in close to her face, I saw a hint of something else swirling beneath the surface: a bittersweet sorrow. I knew instantly that this scene was reminding her of RM.

No wonder why she’s such a good actress; I heard that the best actors draw upon their own personal experiences whenever they act.

I watched as tears welled in Yubi’s eyes. Her face twisted into emotions filled with shame and desire. A hint of regret twinkled in her eyes as she watched Tae Young longingly.

I suddenly found myself in the piano room at RM’s house. Uh, no, it’s happening again…

RM sat in front of the shiny, black grand piano. Sunlight streamed in through the floor-to-ceiling windows, setting the room aglow in its warm light. The walls were covered with sky blue wallpaper, and large landscape paintings filled all four walls. He was dressed in a black button-down and white slacks that hugged his frame in all the right places. His hair was styled neatly into place, and he was clean shaven.

I had seen this exact same scene the first time I heard RM play the piano. That time I had found myself somehow lost in his memories, too. Just like now…

But how is this even possible??

Yubi suddenly appeared next to him, a grin on her face as she watched him serenade her. But all I could hear was the happy, upbeat melody he played. I watched her face lit up as he sang, her face absolutely aglow with love and adoration.

RM beamed right back at her, his love for her filling the room and quickly spilling over. He suddenly winked at her, and she threw her head back into a laugh that I couldn’t hear, her hair flowing over her shoulder in a shiny cascade of silky softness.

Yubi stared at Tae Young, frozen in place beside him at the white piano. A faraway look crossed her eyes. Her bottom lip trembled. A couple of tears slipped down her face. The song continued on as Tae Young sang, oblivious to the pain she was feeling at that moment. With each passing moment, more and more tears slipped down her face.

 Then just as he sang, “I love you,” she grabbed him and kissed him. The music stopped in mid-note. At that moment, Jung Kook appeared in the doorway, stopping short upon seeing his ‘fiancée’ kissing her best friend from high school.

Yubi kissed Tae Young longingly, desperately trying to cling onto him in an attempt to gain back all the time they had lost. 

Tae Young’s hands slipped behind her head, pulling her deeper into him, hungrily drinking in her eagerness.

Jung Kook’s hands curled into fists. A second camera focused onto his face. His eyes darkened as pure hatred filled his eyes. 

My heart caught in my chest as I watched rage filled his usually smiling face. This side of him was scaring me a little. But, man, he’s an amazing actor as well.

With a roar, he whirled away from the door and slammed his fist straight into the opposite wall. It cracked under his fist. 

I jumped, a small squeak escaping my lips as my heart lurched into my throat. Oh, my God! Is he hurt?! 

It took me a second before I realized that it was probably a fake wall, intentionally built for him to put his fist through.

The sound of the cracking wall caught both Yubi and Tae Young’s attention, and they immediately pulled apart. 

Yubi dashed to the door. “Jimin?” she cried.

Jung Kook whirled around and glared at her. “Do I really mean nothing to you?!” he yelled. “Nothing at ALL?!!”

Tae Young appeared behind her.

“You!” Jung Kook roared and leapt forward, grabbing Tae Young by the collar of his shirt. Before Tae Young could react, Jung Kook slammed a fist into his face. Yubi screamed, her hands flying up to , as Tae Young fell back in surprise. Jung Kook leapt on top, ready to pound his face in.

“CUT!” the director shouted.

“No!” I rasped, causing the people around me to look at me in surprise. I instantly remembered I was watching them film. I smiled sheepishly and averted my eyes. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Jung Kook shoot a look in my direction, a slightly bemused look upon his face as he got to his feet.

A few people dashed onto the set. A couple of people checked Jung Kook’s hand to make sure it was all right while a makeup artist applied a bruise to the corner of Tae Young’s mouth. One assistant handed him a bottle filled with a bright red liquid, and he tipped it back it, keeping a small mouthful in his mouth.

“Okay, places, everyone!” the director called.

Tae Young resumed his sprawled position on the floor, and Jung Kook took his place towering over him.

“ACTION!”

Jung Kook swung another punch before throwing Tae Young back and standing up in a huff. Tae Young sat up and spat out the fake blood, gingerly touching where Jung Kook had punched him.

Jung Kook glared at him, his face wracked with pain. 

His acting absolutely took my breath away. All I could do was watch in awe.

Tears welled in Jung Kook’s eyes as he finally shot a look at Yubi. His beautiful face twisted with agony as he fought to keep the tears at bay.

“I’m so sorry, Jimin,” Yubi choked out, fresh tears running down her face.

Man, I can never cry on cue like that.

I’M the one who loved you all these years!” he cried, his voice breaking. “Not him!”

My heart wrenched in half as his tears broke free, huge teardrops suddenly streaking down his thin cheeks.

“Jimin,” Yubi sobbed as she reached forward to grab his hand.

He stepped back, out of her reach, and pulled the engagement ring off his finger. He tossed it at her. It hit her on the chest and fell with a clang as it hit the floor. It rolled to a stop about a foot away.

“You got what you wanted, Eun Mi,” he muttered. “I hope you’re happy.” With that, he stalked off.

Yubi let out a wail as she fell to her knees, tears streaming down her face, as Jung Kook disappeared down the hall.

“CUT!” the director called again.

The assistants rushed onto the set again. I watched as Yubi wiped away the loose tears from her face and took a few deep breaths to calm herself. Her assistant helped her to her feet and handed her a water bottle. She thanked him as she accepted the bottle and took a couple of gulps. Another assistant dabbed at her tears with a handkerchief while a makeup artist reapplied her makeup.

A couple of minutes later, the actors gathered around the director’s chair and listened intently as he pointed out the things he wanted them to change. They proceeded to shoot the same scene several more times. Tae Young spent so much time getting knocked down and spitting blood that at one point, he joked that he was getting his exercise in for the day, causing everyone around him to laugh.

Finally the director called it a wrap. I watched as he thanked the actors and crew for their hard work. Seconds later, he called me to him.

I stepped cautiously towards him as he beckoned me. I noticed Jung Kook watching me out the corner of his eyes as an assistant removed his makeup.

“Do your parents still have their restaurant?” the director asked once I was in front of him.

“Yes, they do,” I answered meekly.

“Great! Call them and tell them to prepare for 40 people.”

“Y—yes, sir,” I said with a quick bow. Then I rushed away to call my parents. I knew they would be thrilled to host the drama production crew once again.