Two

Behind That Frown

 

For the next few days, Minhyuk is persistently trying to pursue Jiwoo like he said he would. He buys her food everyday, and everyday, Jiwoo rejects him.

“Why are you so persistent on not dating Minhyuk,” Hye Mi asks Jiwoo.

They’re walking home from school.

“Because I don’t like him,” Jiwoo replies.

“Why don’t you like him,” Hye Mi asks.

“I just don’t like him. Do I need a reason why I don’t like him? I’m not saying he’s not handsome because he is, I just don’t like him enough to date him.”

Hye Mi nods her head. “Love can never be forced.”

The next day during break, Jiwoo and Hye Mi are in class eating their packed lunch. Some other students are also there.

“Did you hear,” a female student starts. “That kid,” she pauses. “What’s his name? Taeyang? Is coming back to school.”

“That kid,” her friend asks shocked. “He’s coming back? How scary!”

Hye Mi gasps too.

“Who,” Jiwoo asks confused.

“You don’t know who Yoo Taeyang is,” the female student asks.

Jiwoo shakes her head.

“Of course you wouldn’t,” Hye Mi says. “This happened when you took a leave of absence last year.”

“What happened,” Jiwoo asks.

The female student answers her. “This happened last year when school started. Taeyang ually assaulted a female student. She got pregnant and was so devastated that she commited suicide.”

Jiwoo is shocked to hear that. “Who was the girl,” Jiwoo asks.

“Nam Jihyun,” the friend replies.

“Nam Jihyun,” Jiwoo asks. “She was the top student wasn’t she?”

They nod their head.

“How sad,” Jiwoo says. “How can he do something so awful?”

“That’s what I’m saying,” the female student says. “I heard he’s going to be in our class.”

“What,” everyone asks surprised.

“You know,” the friend says. “Before Taeyang did something so horrible, he seemed like a decent guy. His grades weren’t bad. He didn’t talk much, but he was very friendly. He was also very good looking.”

“Too bad he did something so horrid,” the female student says.

“They say never judge a book by its cover,” Hye Mi adds.

“How come he’s coming back,” Jiwoo asks. “Doesn’t he have to serve jail time?”

“He came out already,” the female student says.

“Why?”

“He’s a minor, so he got a light sentence.”

“That’s so unfair. It’s like justice was never served.”

“What else can we do?” 

The next day, their homeroom teacher walks in. A male student walks in with her. 

The students gasp when they see the male student.

“Quiet down,” the teacher says. “Today we have a returning friend. You guys remember Taeyang right? Please be nice to him.” The teacher looks around. “You can take the empty seat next to Jiwoo.” The teacher points to the empty seat. 

Taeyang walks over to the empty seat.

“Oh my gosh,” Jiwoo screams internally. “He’s going to sit next to me? The ual assaulter? What if he does something to me? I’m scared.”

Taeyang sits next to Jiwoo. He puts his backpack on the desk and stares blankly to the front.

Jiwoo feels her heart increasing. She carefully scoots away from Taeyang.

The teacher starts her lecture. 

Jiwoo tries to distract herself by taking notes, but that isn’t working. Every movement he does, Jiwoo feels her heart dropping. 

“Is he going to do something to me,” she asks herself. “What if his hands come at me?” 

Taeyang moves his hands making Jiwoo jump. She causes a loud thump making everyone’s attention go to her.

“Is something wrong,” the teacher asks.

“No,” Jiwoo replies. “I’m sorry.”

The teacher goes back to her lecture.

Jiwoo scolds herself. She hides her head in her arms. 

After school, Jiwoo hurries herself and Hye Mi out of the room.

“Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh,” Jiwoo squeaks quietly. She is holding onto Hye Mi’s arm tightly. “That was so scary! And I have to deal with this for the rest of the school year?” Jiwoo shakes her head. “I don’t think my heart can handle this. Every time he moves, I’m afraid he’s going to do something to me. I can’t even concentrate.”

“He’s sitting behind me,” Hye Mi says. “I’m afraid he’s going to do something to me whenever I hear him shift in his seat.” Hye Mi is also tightly holding onto Jiwoo’s arm.

“Should we transfer?”

“Like our parents will say yes to that.”

They frown.

The next day, Jiwoo and Hye Mi are living in fear again. 

During lunch, Hye Mi and Jiwoo are eating lunch outside. After they are done, Hye Mi goes to the bathroom while Jiwoo goes back to the classroom to put their lunch boxes away.

The students are all out except for Taeyang. He’s sleeping at his desk.

Jiwoo curses in her mind. She tiptoes to Hye Mi’s desk and puts Hye Mi’s lunch box on top of Hye Mi’s desk. Then, she tiptoes to her own desk. She slowly s her backpack and puts her lunchbox into her bag, but the lunchbox slides out of the backpack and tumbles on the ground. Jiwoo gasps and quickly picks up the lunchbox. She looks up and sees Taeyang waking up from his nap. 

He looks down at her.

“I’m sorry,” Jiwoo apologizes in a frazzle. “I didn’t mean to.” Her heart is about to jump out of her chest. “What if he attacks me now,” Jiwoo asks herself. “What do I do?” She is crying on the inside. 

Taeyang doesn’t say anything. He lies his head back down and closes his eyes.

Jiwoo is surprised. “Am I safe,” she asks herself. She quickly puts her lunchbox away and exits the room. Jiwoo quickly heads to the bathroom and bumps into Hye Mi who just came out. Jiwoo gasps.

“What’s wrong,” Hye Mi asks.

“Hye Mi,” Jiwoo cries. She hugs Hye Mi. “I thought I was going to die!”

“Why? What happened?”

Jiwoo tells Hye Mi what happened.

“Oh my gosh,” Hye Mi cries. “I’m so glad you’re alive!”

“Me too!” They cry together and hug each other.

After school, Hye Mi and Jiwoo are walking out of school together. 

Minhyuk is walking behind them. When he notices them, he runs after them.

“Jiwoo,” he calls. He stops when he’s beside her.

Jiwoo looks beside her and sees Minhyuk. He’s smiling down at her. Jiwoo looks away and sighs.

Hye Mi is trying to hold her smile back.

“Are you two heading home,” Minhyuk asks.

“Yes,” Hye Mi replies.

“Should I give you guys a ride?”

“No thank you,” Jiwoo replies. “We can walk.”

“Are you sure,” Minhyuk asks.

“I’m sure.”

“How about a snack,” Minhyuk asks.

“No thank you,” Jiwoo replies.

Hye Mi looks like the third wheel.

“Minhyuk,” a guy says.

The three of them turn around. Hye Mi and Jiwoo’s eyes widen when they see the person who just talked. 

“Let’s get going,” the guy continues. “Our driver is waiting for us.”

“You go ahead,” Minhyuk says. “I’ll be there in a second.”

Hye Mi and Jiwoo watch Taeyang enter a big black car.

“Taeyang and you are brothers,” Hye Mi asks.

“Yes,” Minhyuk replies. “Actually, we’re step brothers.”

“Ahh,” Hye Mi says.

“I should go. See you two tomorrow.” Minhyuk walks over to the car and climbs in.

Hye Mi and Jiwoo look at each other in shock. 

“They’re step brothers,” Hye Mi asks. “Brothers? Can you believe that? One is a straight A student while the other one is an offendert.”

“They are step brothers,” Jiwoo says. “They can be different from each other.”

“I guess.”

The next day, Jiwoo is cautiously taking notes. She is sitting against the wall leaving a gap between her and Taeyang. Jiwoo turns her pencil around to erase something she wrote, but the pencil suddenly flies and hits Taeyang on the hand. Jiwoo gasps. Her hands are covering .

Taeyang turns his head to Jiwoo.

“I’m so sorry,” Jiwoo whispers. “I didn’t mean to.” She wants to get her pencil, but she is too scared. “This is it,” Jiwoo tells her. “I’m going to take my last breath today.” 

Taeyang picks up her pencil and sets it on her desk.

“It’s okay,” he tells her. He listens to the lecture again.

Jiwoo is surprised by Taeyang’s action, but she’s not going to question him. She picks up the pencil and continues to take notes. She feels herself trembling. Jiwoo takes a few quiet deep breaths to calm herself down.

After school today, Hye Mi tells Jiwoo that she has to go home first, so Jiwoo is alone. She is packing her belongings into her backpack. 

A few students are also still in the classroom.

Taeyang has already left, so Jiwoo doesn’t feel afraid.

Jiwoo exits the room. She is about to exit the gates, but is stopped when she hears Minhyuk calling her.

Jiwoo sighs. 

“Are you going home by yourself today.” Minhyuk asks.

Jiwoo continues to walk, so Minhyuk follows her.

“Yes,” Jiwoo replies.

“Where’s Hye Mi,” he asks.

“She went home first,” Jiwoo replies.

“Is something going on?”

“Her mom wanted her home early today. She has family visiting.”

“Ahh. I see. Can I walk you home today?”

“I prefer you not.”

“Why not? It’s dangerous for a woman to be walking alone.”

“Fine,” Jiwoo replies. “But you must leave when we’re a few blocks away from my house.”

“Promise.”

They continue to walk.

“Did you finish your homework,” Minhyuk asks.

Jiwoo nods her head.

“Is your ride waiting for you today,” Jiwoo asks.

“I told it not to wait for me,” Minhyuk says.

“Is Taeyang really your stepbrother,” Jiwoo asks.

“Yes,” Minhyuk says. “I get that question a lot.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to offend you.”

“No. It’s okay. I understand. Another question is: doesn’t it bother you that he did that? Yes. It does, but what am I supposed to do? He’s my brother. I need to forgive, but I won’t forget.”

“Is it hard,” Jiwoo asks.

“It was hard to accept it at first, and it still is, but he’s still my brother.”

“Wow,” Jiwoo says. “You’ve got such a big heart.”

Minhyuk smiles. “I’m the older one, so of course I should try to be a little more understanding.”

That gave Jiwoo a new light on Minhyuk. He’s not that bad.

The next day, Hye Mi has to go home early again, so Jiwoo is all by herself again. Once again, Minhyuk is walking Jiwoo home.

“Are you hungry,” Minhyuk asks. “I’ll buy you something.”

“Really,” Jiwoo asks.

“Of course,” Minhyuk says.

They walk to a small convenience store, and Minhyuk buys her some snacks. 

“Thank you,” Jiwoo says. 

“Not a problem,” Minhyuk says. “Tell me anytime, and I’ll buy you food.”

“Minhyuk,” Jiwoo starts. “I’m glad that you’re here to accompany me and for treating me so well, but I don’t want to be in a relationship. I’m grateful for your feelings for me. I really am, but you’re not the person I want to be with.”

Minhyuk nods his head. “I’m sorry if I came on too strong.”

“No. You never did. I’m sorry for being rude. I was just trying to draw a clear line between us. We can be friends.”

“I’d like that,” Minhyuk says. “Friends.”

Jiwoo smiles. They turn a corner and bump into a few boys.

“Ow,” Jiwoo says. “I’m sorry.”

“Watch where you’re going,” the boy standing in the middle shouts.

Minhyuk grabs Jiwoo’s hand and puts her behind him.

“Friend,” Minhyuk says. “We’re sorry. We didn’t see you turning the corner.”

“Friend,” the boy in the middle asks.

“We look like we’re the same age,” Minhyuk says. “Let’s not make trouble.”

The group of friends laugh. “We don’t want to be your friends,” the boy in the middle says.

“Then let’s not cause trouble,” Minhyuk says.

“We won’t if you won’t.”

“Good. Have a great day.” Minhyuk is still holding onto Jiwoo’s hand. He walks away from the group of friends and drags Jiwoo with him.

After they are a few blocks away, Minhyuk stops walking. 

“Thank you,” Jiwoo says. “I was afraid they were going to do something bad.”

“You’re welcome,” Minhyuk says. “I was afraid too. Afraid they might hurt you.” He turns and looks at Jiwoo.

Jiwoo suddenly feels her heartbeat, but it was a different kind of beat. It made her stomach have butterflies, and her cheeks feeling warm. She looks down at her hand and sees him still holding onto it.

Minhyuk notices that too. He lets go of her hand.

“Sorry,” he says.

“It’s okay,” Jiwoo says. “I’ll go by myself now. Thank you.” Jiwoo quickly walks away.

The next day, Jiwoo tells Hye Mi about what happened yesterday.

“I don’t know why my heart fluttered like that,” Jiwoo says.

“Cause you were touched by his action,” Hye Mi says. “He did something that made you think he is reliable.”

“He did,” Jiwoo agrees. “He helped me get away from those scary boys.”

“Does that mean you like him?”

“Of course not. It’s more like, he’s a good friend.”

 

The two of them are walking home again. 

“Jiwoo,” Hye Mi starts. “I’m going to go on vacation for a month.”

“When,” Jiwoo asks.

“Next week. I won’t be able to walk you home anymore.”

“It’s okay. Go and have fun with your family.”

“I’ll buy you a souvenir.”

“Thanks.”

“Is Minhyuk going to walk you home again?”

“Of course not. I can take myself home.”

“What if you run into those group of boys again?”

“I probably won’t. Meeting them again will be miniscule.”

“I hope so.”