Six

Behind That Frown

 

The next day at school, Jiwoo is in her desk writing down notes in her notebook. Taeyang comes walking in and sits at his desk. 

Jiwoo notices him, but she isn’t fazed anymore. 

Taeyang reaches into his pocket and pulls out a new pair of headphones. He sets the headphones on Jiwoo’s desk.

Jiwoo notices and looks at Taeyang.

“What’s this for,” Jiwoo asks.

“Yours broke,” Taeyang says. “So I bought you new ones.”

“Why? You didn’t have to.”

“I just feel bad for what happened.”

Jiwoo cracks a small smile. “Thank you.” She accepts the headphones. She tries to open them, but she can’t.

“Want me to help,” Taeyang asks.

Jiwoo nods her head.

Taeyang opens the headphones and hands them to Jiwoo.

Jiwoo accepts them. She tries them on and nods her head. “It’s perfect,” Jiwoo says.

Taeyang gives a small smile.

Jiwoo notices. “He looks like a normal person when he smiles,” Jiwoo tells herself.

After that, Jiwoo starts sitting with Taeyang at lunch. Along with Minhyuk of course.

During physical education, their teacher tells them that they’re going to do a relay race around the relay course. The students groan.

The students who start the race are holding onto batons. 

The teacher blows his whistle, and the students start running.

Jiwoo is sweating under the hot sun. She fans herself and tries to maintain her balance. Her head feels light, but she tries to overcome it.

The second group of runners are now running. 

Jiwoo cups her forehead and takes a deep breath. She watches the runners go to the third group. Jiwoo starts doing little jumps. She’s next. 

Taeyang is the one who is going to hand her the baton. 

She watches him run over to her. Jiwoo puts her hand out ready to catch the baton. 

Taeyang hands her the baton.

She grabs it and is ready to run.

Taeyang accidentally bumps into her making her fall. He gasps. “Are you okay,” he asks her.

Jiwoo sits up, but her head is pounding. She can’t open her eyes, and she puts her head in her palms. 

“Are you okay,” Taeyang asks again.

The teacher runs over. “What happened,” he asks.

“I accidentally bumped into her,” Taeyang says.

“I don’t feel so good,” Jiwoo breaths.

“Take her to the nurse’s office,” the teacher says. 

Taeyang nods his head. He helps Jiwoo up and supports her to the nurse’s office.

“You have a fever,” the nurse tells Jiwoo. “Lie down for a little bit then you can go back to class.”

“Thank you,” Jiwoo says.

The nurse walks away.

Taeyang is standing at the foot of the bed.

“I’m sorry,” Taeyang says, “for bumping into you.”

“It’s okay,” Jiwoo says. She is grasping onto the blanket. 

“Get some rest. I’ll go tell the teacher.”

“Thank you.”

Jiwoo ends up going home early and taking a few days off from school. When she goes back to school, Taeyang gives her the homework assignments that she missed.

“The teachers wanted me to give this to you,” Taeyang says. “Because I’m your seatmate.”

“Thank you,” Jiwoo says. She looks at the stack of papers in front of her. Jiwoo sighs.

“Do you need help,” Taeyang asks. “I can help you with math.”

“Really,” Jiwoo asks.

Taeyang nods his head. 

“Can you stay after school today,” Jiwoo asks Taeyang. 

“Of course,” Taeyang replies. 

After school, the two of them are the only ones left in class. Taeyang is teaching Jiwoo math. 

“So you find the square root of 108, and that’s your answer,” Taeyang says. He looks at Jiwoo, and she looks confused. “Got it,” he asks.

“It sounds like you just spoke a foreign language to me,” Jiwoo says. “Will you dumb it down for me?”

Taeyang thinks of another way to put it. “I can’t,” Taeyang says. “I don’t know how else to explain this to you.”

“I’m ruined,” Jiwoo cries.

Taeyang is taken aback. “Let’s continue to do this until you get it,” Taeyang says. Taeyang gives her the notebook and walks her through the problems.

 

“I still don’t get it,” Jiwoo says.

An hour and a half has already gone by.

“Let’s continue tomorrow,” Taeyang says. “The sky is turning dark. Let’s go home.”

“We’ll do this again tomorrow,” Jiwoo asks.

Taeyang nods his head. “We’ll do it until you get it.”

 

The next day comes. Taeyang and Jiwoo stays after school again to finish Jiwoo’s math homework.

Jiwoo is working out the problems, and Taeyang is guiding her.

Jiwoo suddenly gasps. “I got it,” Jiwoo says surprised. “I got it!” She drops her pencil and starts punching the air. “I got it!”

Taeyang chuckles at her.

“Thank you,” Jiwoo says happily. “Thank you!” She takes Taeyang’s hand and shakes it. “Thank you!”

Taeyang is taken aback by Jiwoo’s action.

Suddenly, she realizes that she is holding onto Taeyang’s hand. Jiwoo stops smiling and drops his hand. “Sorry,” she immediately apologizes. Jiwoo rubs her hands onto her skirt.

“Since you got it,” Taeyang says trying to change the subject. “Let’s go home.”

“Sure,” Jiwoo says. Jiwoo starts packing up.

Taeyang grabs his backpack and stands up. He exits the room.

“Why did you do that,” Jiwoo scolds herself. “Why would you grab his hand? Are you an idiot? What if he tried something on you? What if he thinks that was a green light? You idiot!” She finishes packing her books and exits the room. 

Jiwoo is walking to the gates. She has her headphones in and music blasting. Jiwoo is quietly singing along to the music.

Taeyang runs over to her. He stops and walks behind her. Taeyang gently taps her shoulder. 

Jiwoo turns around. When she sees Taeyang standing behind her, she is surprised. Jiwoo removes her headphones.

“What are you doing here,” Jiwoo asks. “Didn’t you leave already?”

“No,” Taeyang says. “I went to buy drinks.” He hands her a can of orange juice. “This is for doing a good job today.”

“Thank you,” Jiwoo says. She accepts the can.

They start walking together. 

Taeyang opens his can of apple juice and starts drinking it. 

Jiwoo stares at her can. “Should I drink it,” she asks herself. “What if he put something inside? But if he did, the can would be open.”

“I’m going this way,” Taeyang says. He points to the left. “You’re going the opposite right?”

Jiwoo nods her head. 

“Goodbye,” he says.

“Bye,” Jiwoo says.

They go their opposite ways.

That night, Jiwoo is in her room staring at the can of orange juice Taeyang had given her. 

“Should I drink it,” she asks herself. “I’m at home. If anything happens, I have mom and dad.”

Jiwoo opens the can and takes a sip.

“Mmm,” she hums. “Not bad.” She takes a bigger sip.

The next day, Jiwoo wakes up. She is sitting in bed listening to her body. 

“I feel the same,” she says. “He didn’t put anything in the drink.”

On her way to school, she stops by the convenience store and buys some candy. Jiwoo walks into the classroom. Her classmates are already there including Taeyang. She walks to her desk and sits down. Jiwoo places the white bag she is holding onto Taeyang’s desk.

“What’s this,” Taeyang asks. 

“A gift,” Jiwoo says. “For helping me with math and giving me the drink.”

“There’s no need for a gift,” Taeyang says. He stares down at his desk.

“I didn’t know how else to repay you.”

“You don’t have to repay me.”

“I’ll feel like I’m in your debt if you don’t accept it. Actually, I owe you so much more. You’ve helped me so much.”

“I’ll take it,” Taeyang says. He takes the bag. “We’re even now.”

“I feel like that’s not enough though,” Jiwoo whispers.

After school, Minhyuk is waiting for Jiwoo at the front gate. When he sees her, he greets her with a smile. “No more tutoring after school today,” Minhyuk asks.

Jiwoo shakes her head. 

“Great,” Minhyuk says. “I’ll walk you home.”

They start walking.

“Are you hungry,” Minhyuk asks. “Should I buy you something to eat?”

Jiwoo shakes her head. “No, thank you. I’d rather just go home.”

“Sure.”

“Minhyuk,” Taeyang calls.

Minhyuk stops walking and turns around. Jiwoo does the same thing.

“Where are you going,” Taeyang asks.

“I’m walking Jiwoo home,” Minhyuk replies.

“What about mom? She wanted us to go home early for dinner.”

“I’ll call her,” Minhyuk says. “I’ll be late.”

“She’s going to be upset,” Taeyang replies.

“I’ll just buy her favorite chocolate.”

“Let’s go together then,” Taeyang suggests. “I want some chocolate too.”

“But I bought you some chocolate,” Jiwoo says. “It’s in the bag you’re holding.”

Taeyang looks down at his bag. “I want more,” Taeyang says.

“Tell me which one you want,” Minhyuk says. “I’ll buy it for you.”

“It’s okay,” Taeyang says. “I don’t want you using your money on me. I’ll go with you and buy my own chocolate.” Taeyang joins them. “Let’s go.” He takes the lead.

Jiwoo follows him.

Minhyuk pouts, but he follows them too. He ends up walking next to Jiwoo. “Why did you buy Taeyang candies,” Minhyuk asks.

“It was a thank you gift,” Jiwoo replies. “Since he helped me with my homework.”

“How nice of you. I see you two are becoming great friends already.”

“I wouldn’t say so,” Jiwoo says.

“Why not? Ahh. Is it because of his charges? Of course. I would be uncomfortable too if I were you.”

Taeyang slows down.

“How do you deal with him when he’s your seat partner,” Minhyuk asks.

“It was hard at first,” Jiwoo answers. “But as time went on, I kind of got used to him.”

“Did you now? How lucky are you,” Minhyuk tells Taeyang. “You have someone who isn’t afraid of you. Isn’t she a keeper?”

“No one should be afraid of me in the first place,” Taeyang says.

“Of course not,” Minhyuk says. “You’re just a normal person who has a ual charge against you.”

“What do you mean,” Jiwoo asks. “People shouldn’t be afraid of you?”

“It’s nothing,” Minhyuk answers. “He’s just a changed man is all he’s saying. Trust me. I’m his brother. I know him, and he’s changed.”

“Yeah,” Jiwoo asks.

“But that won’t change the fact that people are still afraid of him.”

Taeyang holds in his anger. He balls his fingers into a fist. 

“Should we go buy chocolate first,” Minhyuk asks.

“Sure,” Jiwoo says.

They stop by a convenience store. Taeyang and Minhyuk pick out some chocolates.

“Jiwoo,” Minhyuk says. “Don’t you want any chocolates?”

“I’m fine. Thank you,” Jiwoo says.

“Are you sure? I’ll buy them for you.”

Jiwoo shakes her head. 

Minhyuk and Taeyang drop Jiwoo off a block away from her house. 

“Thank you,” Jiwoo says. “I can go by myself now.”

“Bye,” Minhyuk waves happily to Jiwoo. 

She walks away.

“Have you never gone to her house,” Taeyang asks Minhyuk.

“No,” Minhyuk says. “She doesn’t want me going, and I respect her for that. Have you?”

Taeyang thinks of all the times he secretly followed her home. “No,” Taeyang says.

The next day at school, Jiwoo walks to the gates and sees Hye Mi standing there.

“Hye Mi,” Jiwoo screams.

Hye Mi turns her head. “Jiwoo,” Hye Mi screams back.

Jiwoo runs over to Hye Mi and gives her a hug.

“I missed you so much,” Jiwoo cries.

“Me too, girl!”

“How was your trip?”

They break the hug.

“Great,” Hye Mi sings.

The two friends walk into school.

Hye Mi goes on and tells Jiwoo about her trip. She doesn’t stop talking until the bell rings, and the teacher walks into the classroom.

During lunch, Hye Mi continues to tell Jiwoo about her trip all the way until class starts again.

“Do you have anything else to tell me,” Jiwoo asks Hye Mi.

It’s after school. The two friends are walking out of school.

“No,” Hye Mi says. “I’m done.”

“Your trip sounds so good,” Jiwoo says. “I wish I would’ve went with you.”

“Me too, girl! Did anything happen while I was gone?”

Jiwoo cries and hugs Hye Mi’s arm. “So much happened,” Jiwoo cries. Jiwoo tells Hye Mi what had happened to her. They even stopped at a cafe to drink and talk. Of course. Jiwoo told her parents first before they went.

“Oh my gosh,” Hye Mi cries.

Jiwoo cries with her.

“My poor friend,” Hye Mi continues. “I’m so glad nothing happened to you!”

“Me too,” Jiwoo says. She sniffles. “If it wasn’t for Taeyang, I would be a corpse already.”

“He doesn’t sound bad now that you told me that. He sounds like he’s helped you so much since I’ve been gone.”

Jiwoo nods her head. “He has. I’m actually starting to think he’s a nice guy.”

“Maybe he is. Maybe he’s not.”

“I know. I have second feelings too. It’s like, I want to believe he’s nice, but with his past, I’m afraid he’ll hurt me.”

“I think it’s best if you don’t get involved with him.”

“But Minhyuk said he’s changed. He isn’t the same person he was in the past.”

“Then maybe you should believe him. They are brothers. They live together.”

“I don’t even know.”

“But why are you so interested in Taeyang? Do you like him?”

“No. It’s not that. It’s just, he seems like such a nice person from what other people have said.”

“Don’t judge a book by its cover.”

“But he’s had so many opportunities to take advantage of me, and he didn’t.”

“What if he’s tricking you? What if he’s trying to make you think that he’s nice, but in reality, you’re his next victim?”

Jiwoo sighs. “I don’t know. I get a headache every time I think about this.”

“Maybe he is actually a nice person. Maybe he’s changed?”

“Let’s go home. I’m tired.”