Ten

Behind That Frown

The next day, everyone is gathered around the campfire. The host is standing in the center of everyone. He is holding a clipboard like a camp counselor. 

“Did everyone sleep well,” he asks.

“Yes,” everyone sings.

“Are you ready for today?”

“Yes!”

“What are we doing today,” a man asks.

“We’re going to go on a scavenger hunt,” the host says. “But instead of bringing me the items, I’m going to ask you for 12 stamps instead.” He holds papers that has twelve boxes on it. “I’ve put the stamps around here.” He gestures to the forest. “You and your partner will go out into the woods and look for them.”

“How far away did you put them,” a woman asks.

“Not far enough for you to get lost. To help you, I’ve put arrows as your guides.”

“Can we choose our own partners,” another woman asks.

The host smiles. “Of course not!”

Everyone groans. 

“I have here,” he shows them a bunch of sticks in a cup. “Sticks. The sticks have numbers on them. Find the person who has the same number as you, and that person will be your partner. Let’s get going!”

Everyone picks a stick and has a sheet of paper.

“I’m 6,” Hye Mi tells Jiwoo. “What about you?”

“2,” Jiwoo says.

Hye Mi frowns.

“I’m 6,” a man shouts. He happily makes his way to Hye Mi.

Hye Mi immediately smiles.

Jiwoo chuckles at Hye Mi in amusement. 

Taeyang approaches Jiwoo. “I’m 2,” he says.

“Have you all found your partners,” the host asks.

“Yes,” everyone sings.

“Whichever team gets back here the fastest with all the stamps win.”

“What’s the prize,” a man asks.

“I’ll tell you after,” the host says. “Go!”

Everyone scurries into the woods. 

Taeyang and Jiwoo are trailing behind. Taeyang is leading the way, and Jiwoo is following him. He walks up to a tree and finds the first stamp.

“That was easy,” he says. He stamps his paper, and so does Jiwoo.

Taeyang starts leading the way again.

“Isn’t this too easy,” a woman asks. “We’re practically following each other.”

“I know,” her partner agrees. “Why are we doing this anyway?”

Soon, Taeyang and Jiwoo are separated from the group. They’ve gotten four stamps already. The two of them are climbing up a hill. Jiwoo is heaving and trying her best to keep up with Taeyang. She stops in her tracks to catch her breath.

“I thought they said this was easy,” Jiwoo complains to herself. 

Taeyang hears. He turns around and sees Jiwoo fanning herself. He walks back to her. “Are you okay,” he asks her.

“Yeah,” Jiwoo heaves. “I should’ve brought some water.”

He extends his hand to her.

“Would you like some help,” Taeyang asks.

Jiwoo stares at his hand and at him. She places her hand into Taeyang’s.

He gently squeezes her hand and helps her up the hill.

“Thank you,” Jiwoo says. “For helping me.”

“You’re welcome,” Taeyang says. He lets go of her hand once they reach the top. “Let’s continue.” They find the next stamp. “I don’t think anyone has been up here.”

Jiwoo stamps her paper after Taeyang. 

They look around, but find no more stamps.

“I think that’s the only stamp,” Taeyang says. “Let’s head back down.”

Jiwoo nods her head.

Taeyang extends his hand to her again. 

Jiwoo takes his hand. 

He carefully leads her down the hill.

Jiwoo is stealing glances at him. The silence is awkward. “Taeyang,” Jiwoo says to kill the silence. “Do you have a girlfriend?”

He is taken aback by her question.

“No,” he replies.

“Have you ever had one,” she asks.

“No.”

“I’ve had two,” she says. "Boyfriend I mean."

Taeyang doesn’t say anything back.

“Well that made things even more awkward,” Jiwoo tells herself.

They continue to walk down the hill.

Jiwoo's ankle suddenly gives in. She falls on her knees. 

Taeyang is stopped by her. He turns around. He looks at her worried.

"Are you okay," he asks her.

"Sorry," she says. "My ankle gave way." She stands up. Her knees are scraped by the tree branches on the ground. Jiwoo winces in pain.

"I don't think you're okay," Taeyang says. "I'll carry you."

"No!" She lowers her voice, "it's okay. I can walk." She takes a step. "See. I'm fine. Let's go." Jiwoo takes another step, but her foot slips. She falls into Taeyang's arm.

He catches her, but he loses balance. They roll down the hill. At the bottom, Taeyang is lying on top of Jiwoo. He has one of his arm around Jiwoo's waist, and the other protecting Jiwoo's head.

Jiwoo is tightly grasping his shoulders.

Taeyang lifts his head and looks down at Jiwoo.

Jiwoo looks up at Taeyang. Her heart speeding a million miles per hour.

Taeyang quickly gets off Jiwoo and sits down next to her. 

Jiwoo is lying there still in shock.

"Are you okay," Taeyang asks. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to."

Jiwoo slowly sits up and holds onto her own hands. She feels herself tremble. Leaves and tree branches are all over her hair.

"I'm sorry," Taeyang says again. 

Jiwoo tucks her hair behind her ears.

Taeyang reaches over and pulls out a leaf.

Jiwoo jumps making Taeyang retrieve his hand. 

"I'm sorry," he apologizes. "You have some leaves in your hair."

Jiwoo combs her hair with her fingers, but some crumbs are still left behind. 

"There's still some there," Taeyang says. 

"Will you get them out for me," Jiwoo asks. 

Taeyang cautiously reaches over and starts removing the crumbs.

"Thank you," Jiwoo says after Taeyang is done. She looks at his arms and gasps. "You've been cut multiple times."

"It's fine," Taeyang says. "I'm fine. Are you okay though? You must have scratches too."

Jiwoo shakes her head. "I'm okay," she says. She looks at his hair. "You have some leaves in your hair too." Jiwoo reaches over and starts removing them.

Taeyang freezes in shock. Usually, no one treats him this nicely. It seems like Jiwoo is the only person who treats him this way.

"There," Jiwoo says. "All done."

Taeyang quickly stands up. He feels his left ankle hurting, but he ignores the pain.

"Let's go," Taeyang says. "Since we're hurt, let's head back to the campsite."

"Sure," Jiwoo says. She stands up. She feels her body trembling, and her right ankle hurting, but she doesn't say anything.

Taeyang leads the way, and Jiwoo limps behind him. The two of them come across a split road.

"Which way did we come from," Taeyang asks.

"Shouldn't there be an arrow," Jiwoo asks.

Taeyang looks around. "There's no arrow," he says.

Jiwoo helps him look around. “It’s right here,” Jiwoo says. She picks up the arrow from the ground. The arrow was lying on the right side of the road. “Did it fall down from the tree or did the wind blow it to this side of the road?”

“I don’t know.” Taeyang says. “Let’s go down the right road. The arrow was found here.” 

Jiwoo hangs the arrow on the tree, and the two of them go down the right road. They walk for a few minutes. Jiwoo stops walking and raises her right foot off the ground. She’s calmed down, but her ankle is still hurting. Jiwoo sits down and hugs her ankle with her hand. 

“Taeyang wait,” Jiwoo says. 

He turns around. Taeyang walks over to Jiwoo and squats down to her level.

“Are you okay,” he asks. 

“My ankle,” Jiwoo says. “I’ll be fine as long as we rest for a little bit.”

Taeyang sits next to her.

“You didn’t get hurt,” Jiwoo asks. “Did you only get those scratches?”

Taeyang looks down. “Yes” Taeyang replies.

“Let’s get going,” Jiwoo says. She stands up. 

Taeyang follows her.

Jiwoo starts limping. 

“Wait,” Taeyang says. He walks in front of her and squats down. “Get on,” he says.

“No,” Jiwoo says. “It’s okay. We’re probably close to camp anyway. I can make it.”

Taeyang turns around and looks at Jiwoo.

“Why would she accept my help,” Taeyang asks himself. He stands up. “I’ll be your crutch then,” he says. “Is that okay?”

She nods her head.

Taeyang extends his hand out to Jiwoo. She accepts his hand. Taeyang puts his left arm around her shoulders and holds her hand with his right hand. They start walking slowly. 

Jiwoo feels his heat radiating on to her. Her heart starts increasing slowly, but it isn’t the same beating she used to feel. This time, she feels warmth.

“I’m sorry,” Jiwoo says. “I’m such a nuisance.”

“It’s not your fault,” Taeyang says. “Let’s just quickly go back to camp and get your wounds treated.”

They walk for what seems like forever, but the campsite is never getting near.

“Did we walk this far into the woods,” Jiwoo asks. “Why does it seem like camp is so far away?”

“Right,” Taeyang agrees. He stops walking making Jiwoo stop as well. “Maybe we took a wrong turn back there. Let’s turn around and take the left path.”

“Sure,” Jiwoo says.

They turn around. When the two of them reach the divided path again, the sky is turning dark.

“I hope this is the right way,” Jiwoo says. “I’m so tired and hungry.”

“It’s getting cold too,” Taeyang says. “Let’s go.”

They continue to walk. 

“Let’s rest for a little bit,” Jiwoo says. “My ankle really hurts.”

“Sure,” Taeyang says. They sit on the side of the road. Taeyang feels the exact same way as Jiwoo. His ankle is hurting too.

Jiwoo hugs herself to keep warm. 

“Are you cold,” Taeyang asks.

“Just a little,” Jiwoo replies.

He gives her his hand.

Jiwoo takes it.

He scoots closer to her. 

“Since your ankle is hurt,” Taeyang says. “Why don’t you stay here? I’ll go back to camp and get help.” He is about to stand up, but Jiwoo clasps his hand tighter.

“No,” Jiwoo says. “Don’t leave me. Let’s leave together.”

“But you can’t walk.”

“I can take the pain. Let’s go. It’s getting darker by the second.” She stands up.

“Then,” Taeyang starts. “Let me give you a piggyback ride.” He shows her his back.

Jiwoo hops on his back. 

Taeyang wraps his arms under her legs and starts to walk.

“Great scavenger hunt,” Jiwoo mumbles.

 

“Everyone is here,” the host says. “Where’s Jiwoo and Taeyang?”

“Did he do something to her,” a woman asks.

Some people gasp.

“Minhyuk,” the host says. “You have Taeyang’s number don’t you? Try calling him.”

“Okay,” Minhyuk replies.

“I tried calling Jiwoo,” Hye Mi cries, “She isn’t picking up.”

“Everyone divide and go back to the woods,” the host says. “We’ll go look for them.”

“But it’s dark,” a woman says. “What if we get lost?”

“You have flashlights on your phones don’t you? Use that.”

Everyone turns on their phone lights.

Taeyang still has Jiwoo on his back. He feels his ankle throbbing, but he holds in the pain. They enter the camp ground and see everyone ready to set out.

“Taeyang,” Minhyuk shouts. He runs over to them. “What happened?”

“We got lost,” Taeyang replies.

Everyone is eyeing him.

“Jiwoo also got hurt,” Taeyang says. “Her ankle.” He lets her down.

Hye Mi runs over to them in tears. She catches Jiwoo. “Are you okay,” she asks her.

Jiwoo nods her head. “Taeyang also got hurt,” Jiwoo says. “His arms are scratched.”

“How did you two get hurt,” the host asks.

“We climbed the hill to get the stamp,” Taeyang replies. “And we slipped down the hill.”

“Doesn’t look like it to me,” someone whispers.

“Go sit down,” the host says. “You two are probably hurt and tired.” 

Hye Mi helps Jiwoo to a chair.

Taeyang limps over to a chair and sits down. No one notices him.

Hye Mi checks Jiwoo’s ankle. “It looks a little swollen,” Hye Mi says.

“I don’t think we have ice,” Minhyuk says. “The coldest thing we have here is that waterfall.”

“It’s okay,” Jiwoo says. “I’m sure the swelling will go down by the morning. Taeyang’s cut might get infected though. You should go treat him.”

“There’s no first aid kit.”

“I have one,” the host says. 

Minhyuk cleans Taeyang’s cuts and bandages up his arms. “If mom sees this,” Minhyuk says. “She’s going to freak out.”

“I know,” Taeyang replies.

“Do you have any cuts,” Hye Mi asks Jiwoo.

She shakes her head. “Taeyang shielded me when we fell, so I don’t have any cuts.”

“How nice of him.”

“Jiwoo,” a woman starts. “Are you sure that’s what happened? You two really fell?”

Jiwoo nods her head. 

“Nothing else happened,” she asks.

“No,” Jiwoo replies.

“If something else happened, don’t be afraid to speak out. We’re here to protect you from monsters.”

“Monsters,” Jiwoo asks offended. “No. Nothing happened. We really just fell.”

The woman puts her hand on Jiwoo’s shoulder. “If you want to confess later, I’ll testify for you.” The woman walks away.

“What is she talking about,” Hye Mi asks.

“She thinks Taeyang forced himself on me,” Jiwoo says.

“Did he?”

“No,” Jiwoo protests. “He never did. He never tried to!"

“Okay,” Hye Mi says. “You don’t have to get angry, but I can see why she would think so.”

Jiwoo sighs in frustration. “I’m tired,” Jiwoo says. “Will you help me to the tent?”

Hye Mi helps Jiwoo up and helps her to the tent.

“Are you hurt anywhere else,” Minhyuk asks Taeyang.

Taeyang shakes his head. “I’m going to call it a night.” Taeyang stands up and walks to his tent. He zips the tent shut and sits on his sleeping bag. Taeyang cups his left ankle. He feels it throbbing. The pain painfully increases.

 

The next day, Hye Mi and Jiwoo heads home first. Jiwoo’s ankle got better, but the pain is still there.

Minhyuk and Taeyang also head home. Taeyang kept pestering Minhyuk. His ankle is still swollen to the point where Minhyuk had to take him to the hospital first.