Five

Behind That Frown

 

During history, the teacher assigns them an assignment before the bell rings.

“I’m handing out a list of items for your assignment. It’s a scavenger hunt,” the teacher says. He hands out white sheets of papers. “Instead of collecting the items, I want you to take pictures instead. I want you to put the pictures on a powerpoint or on a poster board. Do whatever you want just don’t hand in the pictures plainly. If you decide to do this on a PowerPoint, email your PowerPoint to me by Monday before class, and if you're doing a poster, hand it on at the beginning of class on Monday."

The class groans. 

“Now. Now,” the teacher says. He is done passing out the papers. “You have the whole weekend to finish it.”

The class groans even louder.

“Stop,” the teacher raises his voice. “You’ll be doing this with partners.”

The class cheers.

“That I choose,” the teacher says.

The class groans.

“Your partners will be your seatmates,” the teacher says.

Some students groan, and some high five each other.

Jiwoo cries internally. “I’m going to have the worst weekend.”

"Do we have to present this," a student asks.

“No. Just make it look fancy with the poster or PowerPoint. Discuss with your partner about this and turn this in on monday at the beginning of class,” the teacher says. “Class is dismissed.”

Jiwoo starts packing up her books into her backpack.

“When should we meet,” Taeyang asks.

“Huh,” Jiwoo asks shocked. “Oh. Whenever you’re not busy.”

“How about tomorrow then?”

“Sure.”

“Okay. I’ll see you at eight tomorrow.”

Taeyang stands up.

“Wait,” Jiwoo says. “Where are we meeting?”

“I’ll meet you at your house,” Taeyang says.

“But you don’t know where I live.”

“Right,” Taeyang tells himself. “She doesn’t know I know where she lives.”

“Should we meet in front of the school gate tomorrow at eight in the morning,” Jiwoo asks.

Taeyang nods his head.

“I’ll have my phone,” Jiwoo continues. “We can take pictures with that.”

“I’ll bring mine too,” Taeyang says.

“See you then.”

Taeyang exits the room.

Jiwoo puts her head on her desk and sighs. “What am I going to do,” Jiwoo asks herself. “I’m scared.”

 

The sky is bright blue and the sun is out the next day. Jiwoo is standing in front of the school gates waiting for Taeyang. She takes out a watch from her pocket and puts it around her wrist.

“If he attempts anything,” Jiwoo’s father said. “Press the red button. The police will come within ten minutes.”

“Thanks, dad” Jiwoo said. “I’m scared, but what can I do? It’s for school.”

Jiwoo takes out the assignment sheet and reads down the list.

“There’s about thirty items,” Jiwoo tells herself. “Will this take the whole day?”

“Sorry I’m late,” Taeyang says.

Jiwoo looks up. She takes a slight step back. “It’s okay,” Jiwoo says. “I just got here.”

“Let’s go,” Taeyang says.

Taeyang leads the way. 

Jiwoo follows him, but she is keeping a distance away from him.

“First on the list,” Jiwoo says. “Take a picture of your group.” Jiwoo stops in her tracks.

Taeyang turns around. "Let's take a picture then," he says.

He walks over to her and stops when he is at a small distance. Taeyang takes out his phone and opens up his camera. He turns his back to Jiwoo and points the camera at them.

Jiwoo forces a smile while Taeyang doesn't smile.

Taeyang takes the picture. "Done," he says. He puts his phone away and continues to walk.

Jiwoo follows him.

"So how do you want to do this," Taeyang asks her. "PowerPoint or poster?"

"I think PowerPoint will be easier. We can email him afterwards," Jiwoo answers.

"Okay. Should we go to my house and finish the assignment today?"

"No," Jiwoo says loudly. "We can go to my house."

"Okay."

They're about half done with the assignment, and it's already lunchtime.

Jiwoo can feel her stomach growling.

"Are you hungry," Taeyang asks.

Jiwoo is shocked. It's like he read her mind.

"Yes," Jiwoo replies.

"Let's go get lunch," Taeyang says. "I'm hungry too."

"He can't read minds," Jiwoo tells herself. "He's hungry too."

Jiwoo follows Taeyang to a restaurant. They are seated in the middle of the room. The two of them eat in silence.

"Should I start a conversation," Jiwoo asks herself. "It's so awkward."

"Isn't he the kid," Jiwoo hears the older ladies whisper.

"It is him," another lady replies. "My grandson goes to the same school as him. He fears for his life every time he goes to school. Why are they making the other students suffer? Can't they ban him or something?"

"That's what I'm saying. He looks scary too."

Jiwoo pokes at her food. She notices Taeyang eating normally. He's pretending he can't hear them.

"Is she the next victim," the lady asks.

Taeyang freezes. He lets out a quiet sigh and continues to eat.

Hearing that gave Jiwoo goosebumps. It's already awkward and uncomfortable enough, but those ladies are making it worse.

Jiwoo tries to eat calmly. She glances over at Taeyang. He looks hurt. Does an assaulter know how to feel hurt after what he did? Usually, they're unfazed. At least that's what Jiwoo read.

"The food is good here," Jiwoo says trying to start a conversation.

Taeyang doesn't say anything.

"Do you eat here often," Jiwoo asks.

"No," Taeyang replies. "This is my first time eating here."

"Do you eat out often?"

"No."

"I can see why," Jiwoo tells herself.

After they finish, Taeyang pays the bill.

"I can pay," Jiwoo says.

"It's okay," Taeyang says. "I got it."

The lady hands Taeyang the receipt.

"Thank you," Taeyang says.

The lady bows her head.

Taeyang exits the restaurant, and Jiwoo follows.

"Thank you," Jiwoo says. She runs to catch up to him. She walks beside him. "I could've paid."

"It's fine," Taeyang replies. "Let's hurry and finish this assignment."

Taeyang walks faster leaving Jiwoo trailing behind. 

After they are done, Jiwoo calls her mom to tell her that Taeyang will be coming over, so they can finish their assignment.

They are picked up by her mom.

Jiwoo and Taeyang are working on her computer in her room. The door is wide open.

Jiwoo is sitting in front of the computer, and Taeyang is sitting next to her.

"Do you have an outline you want to follow," Jiwoo asks.

"No," Taeyang replies.

Jiwoo starts the PowerPoint. 

Taeyang gives her some ideas here and there, and Jiwoo incorporates them into the PowerPoint.

When they are done, the time is four in the evening.

"I'll email this to him tonight," Jiwoo says.

Taeyang nods his head. 

The next day at lunch, Jiwoo stares at Taeyang eating lunch. 

"He's alone again," Jiwoo tells herself. "Of course even I'm too afraid to eat lunch with him. Who else would join him? He does look lonely though. Maybe he prefers to sit alone, but what if he's choosing his next victim?"

Taeyang stares out the window.

"Stop," Jiwoo scolds herself. "You're overthinking." Jiwoo looks down at her platter of food. "But what if he's not choosing his next victim? What if he's a changed person? What if he's not?" She shakes her head.

After school, Jiwoo is at her desk, working on her math homework. She erases her work and tries again, but she ends up erasing her work again. Jiwoo drops her pencil in frustration. 

"Why can't I get this," Jiwoo asks herself. "This is frustrating."

She lies her head on her desk. Jiwoo stares out the window. The trees are dancing with the wind. The sun is still up. 

"What are you doing," Taeyang asks.

Jiwoo jumps and puts her hands to her chest.

“Sorry,” Taeyang says. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

Jiwoo sighs. “Did you forget something,” Jiwoo asks.

“My phone,” he answers.  He picks up his phone from his desk.

Jiwoo calms herself down and picks up her pencil.

“It looks like you need help,” Taeyang says.

Jiwoo sighs. “I can’t figure this math problem out. I’ve tried it two times already.”

Taeyang sits down at his desk. “Can I see it,” Taeyang asks.

Jiwoo pushes her math book and notebook to Taeyang. He looks at it. “You have the wrong formula,” Taeyang says.

“What,” Jiwoo asks in disbelief.

“You don’t add. You multiply.”

Jiwoo puts her forehead into her palms. “I had the wrong formula this whole time,” Jiwoo asks.

Taeyang pushes the math book and notebook back to Jiwoo. “Try it again,” Taeyang says.

Jiwoo picks up her pencil and starts working the problem out. After she is done, she checks the answer from the back of the book, but the answer is still wrong. Jiwoo internally cries.

“May I see your notebook,” Taeyang asks.

Jiwoo gives Taeyang her notebook. He scans the problem. Taeyang puts the notebook down. “This number is negative,” Taeyang says. “Not positive.”

Jiwoo sighs again. “I don’t want to do this anymore,” Jiwoo tells herself. “I want to go home now.”

Jiwoo fixes the problem, and Taeyang watches her.

“There you go,” Taeyang says. “You got it. Do you need help with anything else?”

“This was my last problem,” Jiwoo says. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” Taeyang stands up and starts walking away.

Jiwoo packs up her books and pencil. She stores them into her backpack.

“Wait,” Jiwoo says. “Taeyang just helped me with my math homework, and I didn’t feel scared.” Jiwoo turns her head towards the door. 

Jiwoo walks home by herself. The sky is still bright. She turns the corner and bumps into someone. Jiwoo stumbles back. She immediately apologizes.

“It’s okay,” the guy says.

Jiwoo looks up and sees Taeyang.

“What are you doing here,” Jiwoo asks.

“I wanted to take a walk before I head home,” Taeyang answers. 

Jiwoo nods her head. “Have a good day,” she says. She walks past him.

“Wait,” Taeyang says.

Jiwoo turns around. “What does he want,” Jiwoo asks herself. “Is the day finally coming?”

Taeyang walks over to her.

Jiwoo squeezes her backpack straps and takes a step back.

Taeyang extends his hand out to Jiwoo. She feels her heart increase. “I found them at the alley from the other night,” Taeyang says.

Jiwoo looks down and sees black headphones. “Those are mine,” Jiwoo says. She takes the headphones from him. “Thank you.” Her heartbeat goes back to normal. 

“Does it still work,” Taeyang asks.

Jiwoo tries them. “It doesn’t work,” she says. Jiwoo crumbles up the headphones in her hand. “Thank you,” she tells him again. Jiwoo walks away. “Maybe he isn’t so bad,” Jiwoo tells herself. “There’s been so many opportunities to harm me, but he didn’t. He even saved me.”