Thirteen

Behind That Frown

The next day, Jiwoo wakes up at ten. She walks into the living room and notices that Taeyang is already awake. She smells food coming from the kitchen, so she goes check to see what is happening. 

Taeyang is in the kitchen making breakfast.

“Taeyang,” Jiwoo asks shocked.

Taeyang turns around. “Good morning,” he says. “Breakfast is almost ready.”

“You cook?” Jiwoo walks into the kitchen and stands next to him to see what he is making.

“Yes,” Taeyang replies. “I stay home a lot, so I’ve picked up cooking.”

“The aroma is very nice.”

“It’s hangover soup since we drank last night. Go wash up. It’s almost done.”

Jiwoo nods her head. She goes wash up and changes into an oversized gray t-shirt and black sweatpants. She ties her hair into a ponytail and heads to the kitchen.

Taeyang already set the table and is waiting for Jiwoo to join him.

“When did you wake up,” Jiwoo asks.

“Around nine,” Taeyang replies.

“Woah. You woke up so early.”

“That’s the latest I’ve ever woken up.”

“Really,” Jiwoo asks. “My latest is noon.”

“Hurry and eat,” Taeyang says.

Jiwoo takes a sip of the soup. “Mmm,” she hums. “It’s very good. The aroma and the taste is on another level.”

“Thank you,” Taeyang says. “I’ll make dinner tonight as well.”

“Really?”

Taeyang nods his head.

Jiwoo smiles happily. “I can’t wait,” she says.

They eat in silence.

“I had a lot on my mind last night,” Taeyang says.

“Like what?”

“Like my family problem. I want to resolve it. I want to do the right thing. I’ve been doing the wrong thing, and because of that, I’ve been hiding my whole life. I don’t want that anymore. I want to be free.”

“Good for you,” Jiwoo says. “I’ll be rooting for you.”

“Thank you,” Taeyang says. He shows her a smile.

The next day, when Jiwoo wakes up, she doesn’t see Taeyang.

“Did he go somewhere,” she asks herself. 

At home, Jiwoo is sitting on the couch. She keeps looking at the front door to see if Taeyang would walk in, but he never does. Her phone dings, so she picks it up.

“Thank you very much for everything that you’ve done,” Jiwoo reads. “I went back home. I’ll be sure to repay you.”

“I wish you luck,” Jiwoo texts back. “You’re a good person. Everything will be fine.”

Jiwoo makes dinner for herself. As she waits for dinner to cook, she cleans up the bed that Taeyang slept in. Jiwoo puts the coffee table back, and finally, she eats dinner. Jiwoo showers after dinner and heads to bed.

In the middle of the night, Jiwoo wakes up to a noise. She stirs in bed. Jiwoo hears her bedroom door opening. She sits up and sees Minhyuk walking over to her.

“Did I wake you,” he asks.

“Minhyuk,” Jiwoo says surprised. “What are you doing here? How did you get here? How did you get in?” She scoots to the head of her bed.

Minhyuk sits on the bed.

Jiwoo clutches onto her blanket and looks at Minhyuk scared.

“I’m sorry,” Minhyuk says. “I didn’t mean to wake you up. Go back to sleep.”

“How did you get in,” Jiwoo asks trying to stay calm.

“Your door was unlocked,” Minhyuk replies. He smiles sweetly at her.

“That’s not true,” Jiwoo says. “I lock the door every night when I go to bed.”

“Don’t worry,” Minhyuk assures her. “Go back to sleep.”

“Please get out,” Jiwoo says sternly.

Minhyuk chuckles.

“Get out,” Jiwoo repeats herself. “If you don’t, I’m going to call the police.”

“You’re so cute when you’re scared,” Minhyuk continues to chuckle. “Go ahead,” he tells her. “I’ll stop you.”

Jiwoo feels nervous. Her heart is speeding up. She doesn’t know what to do.

“You’re not going to report me,” Minhyuk asks. “Can we make a deal?”

“What kind of deal,” Jiwoo asks.

“I’ll leave, but only after you agree to let me stay the night.”

“What? No.”

“But you let Taeyang spend the night. Actually, you let him spend so many nights here.”

“What does that have to do with you?”

“Because I like you. Letting another man sleep in the same house as you makes me mad.” He pouts. “Please? Just for one night.”

“No,” Jiwoo says sternly. “Get out!”

“Jiwoo, did Taeyang not tell you what he did when he was living with you,” Minhyuk asks.

Jiwoo shakes her head.

“He ually assaulted another woman,” Minhyuk says.

“He wouldn’t,” Jiwoo protests. 

“But he did.”

“You said he changed.”

“Because he didn’t commit any crimes for the past few years, but he suddenly started again.”

“Taeyang isn’t that kind of person,” Jiwoo protests.

“How do you know? You don’t live with him.”

“Because he’s helped me. He’s never done anything to harm me.”

“How do you know that’s not his master mind to get to you?”

“He would never.”

“Why are you treating him so nicely,” Minhyuk asks. 

“Because I like him,” Jiwoo replies.

“Why would you like someone like him?”

“Why can’t I?”

“Jiwoo,” Minhyuk says in a calming manner. He reaches over and grabs her hand.

Jiwoo pulls her hand away scared.

Minhyuk grabs her hand again.

Jiwoo pulls her hand away again.

Minhyuk grasps her arm and pulls her to him.

Jiwoo freezes in surprise. He has a vicious look in his eyes that makes her even more scared than before. She feels tears welling up in her eyes.

“What are you doing,” she asks trying not to let her tears fall.

He doesn’t say anything. Instead he pushes her down on the bed and climbs on top of her. Minhyuk holds her hands down on top of her head. Minhyuk dips his head down ready to kiss her.

Jiwoo closes her eyes afraid of him. Her heart accelerates. A tear escapes her eyes. She waits for Minhyuk to continue even though she doesn’t want this to happen. 

Suddenly, she feels Minhyuk’s hands let go of hers. Another pair of hands grab her and pulls her out of bed.

Jiwoo opens her eyes and sees Minhyuk lying on the bed, and she is hiding behind Taeyang.

Taeyang is holding her behind him securely.

“Minhyuk,” Taeyang says. “It’s time you stop.”

Minhyuk sits up. “How did you know I was here,” Minhyuk asks.

“I followed you.”

“You followed me?” Minhyuk chuckles. 

“How many more women are you going to harm,” Taeyang asks. “Wasn’t the girl back in high school enough? Why are you going around hurting more people?”

 “Why,” Minhyuk asks unfazed. “Should I listen to you?”

“Because I don’t want to live like this anymore,” Taeyang replies. “I’ve taken the blame for everything you’ve done, and I’m done.”

Jiwoo looks up at Taeyang.

“The girl back in high school,” Taeyang continues. “You assaulted her, but I took the blame. Mom and dad told me that I should, so you can go to college. I did everything that you’ve told me to do, so why are you still treating me like this?”

“Because you’re an easy target.” Minhyuk is smiling. “You will do anything my family wants because you feel the need to repay my parents for taking you in. You orphan.” Minhyuk slowly scowls at Taeyang.

“Because of you,” Taeyang says. “Because I was scared that this day was going to happen,” Taeyang pauses. “I’ve been following you around like a stalker. I’ve been following Jiwoo around like a stalker.”

“You followed me,” Jiwoo whispers. 

“I was afraid you would jump her in a dark alley. I even had to follow the other women you were around because I was afraid you would jump them, but Jiwoo seems to be like your biggest target. What are you going to do? Assault her? Then put the blame on me again?”

“Of course not. I was going to marry her. Since high school, I’ve been in love with Jiwoo. She’s the prettiest gem that I found. Why would I toss her away?”

“Well she doesn’t want you. Leave her alone.”

Minhyuk laughs hysterically. “Are you jealous that mom and dad don't love you as much as they love me? I get everything I want and you don’t?” He wipes the smile off his face. “What are you going to do about it? Call the police? Go ahead,” he threatens.

“I will. I will reveal everything that you’ve done to the police and make you go to jail.”

Minhyuk laughs. “How are you going to make me go to jail,” Minhyuk asks. “Do you have proof?”

“If you can’t go to jail for what you did in the past, go to jail for what you did in the present and what you’ll do in the future.”

“Send me to jail,” Minhyuk says in a warning tone. He stands up and starts walking toward Taeyang.

Jiwoo grips onto Taeyang’s shirt even tighter than she was before.

Taeyang doesn’t move an inch.

“I’m the CEO of father’s company,” Minhyuk says. “I have the money to release myself.”

“At least your crimes will be on record then,” Taeyang says.

“I have the money to erase that too.”

“I’ll make sure it doesn’t get erased. From now on leave Jiwoo alone.” Taeyang grabs Jiwoo’s arm and pulls her out of the house. 

Taeyang walks as far away as possible from Jiwoo’s house. When he feels that they are far enough, he stops walking. Taeyang turns to Jiwoo. He lets go of her hand.

“Are you okay,” Taeyang asks. “Minhyuk didn’t do anything to you did he?”

Jiwoo bursts into tears. She closes to muffle her cries because she doesn’t want to wake up the neighbors. Jiwoo shakes her head telling Taeyang that Minhyuk didn’t do anything to her. She throws herself at Taeyang and hugs him.

Taeyang stumbles back. Of course, he is surprised at Jiwoo’s actions, but he hugs her back. He can understand how Jiwoo is feeling. Taeyang her hair. 

Jiwoo cries into his chest. She takes a deep breath to stop her from crying, but it isn’t helping.

Taeyang pulls her away from the hug and bends down to her level.

“Do you have a place to stay tonight,” Taeyang asks her.

Jiwoo shakes her head. She bites her hand to muffle her cries.

Taeyang wipes her tears.

“How about Hye Mi,” Taeyang asks. “Maybe your parents?”

Jiwoo nods her head. She takes a deep breath. “My. Parents,” she cries.

Taeyang nods his head. “I’ll take you to your parents house.” He walks her to his car and drives her to her parent’s house. On the way there, Jiwoo has a box of kleenex on her lap. She is quietly crying and wiping her tears. 

Taeyang walks Jiwoo to her parents front door. He rings the doorbell.

Jiwoo wipes her tears with her hands.

Taeyang rings the doorbell again. He turns to Jiwoo. Taeyang takes her hand and slightly squeezes it. 

Jiwoo raises her head. Her eyes are red and puffy.

The front door opens, and Jiwoo’s dad is standing in front of them.

“Jiwoo,” her dad says. “Why are you here this late? Why are you crying?”

“Dad,” Jiwoo cries. She lets go of Taeyang’s hand and falls into her dad’s arms.

“What’s wrong,” her dad asks. “Who’s this?”

Her mom runs in.

“Jiwoo,” her mom says.

“Mom,” Jiwoo cries. She walks over to her mom and hugs her.

“Did he make you cry,” her dad asks. He is glaring at Taeyang.

Taeyang’s eyes widen and shakes his head.

“No,” Jiwoo says. She breaks the hug and walks over to her dad. Jiwoo wipes her tears. “He helped me,” Jiwoo cries.

“I’m sorry for intruding so late at night,” Taeyang says. “But Jiwoo was in trouble and had no place to go.”

“What happened,” her dad asks.

Taeyang explains the situation to her dad.

“Thank you,” her dad says. “For helping our Jiwoo. You may go now.”

Her dad closes the door. They go sit on the couch.

“Is what he said real,” her dad asks.

Her mom is comforting her.

“Yes,” Jiwoo replies. “He’s my classmate from high school.”

“I’ll make sure he pays for what he did to you,” her dad says.

“Dad,” Jiwoo says. “Can you help Taeyang too?”

“The man who brought you here?”

Jiwoo nods her head. 

“I wasn’t going to say anything,” her dad says. “But didn’t he assault one of his classmates back in high school?”

“Minhyuk did that,” Jiwoo says. “His older brother. He only took the blame because his parents made him do it. He’s innocent. Please help him prove his innocence.”

“It’s not going to be easy. It’s been so long ago that this has happened.”

“Dad, I know you have the power. Please help him.”

“Why should I?”

“Because he’s helped me, and I want to help him too.”

Her dad nods his head. “Okay, I’ll see what I can do.”

“Thank you, dad.”