Eleven

Behind That Frown

It’s been a few months, and Jiwoo hasn’t seen Taeyang or Minhyuk. Everyday, she wonders how Taeyang’s scratches are. Did they fully heal? Did they leave a scar?

One day, Hye Mi invites Jiwoo to go hiking. The two of them go on a weekend when the two of them are free.

“This is great,” Hye Mi says. “The air is fresh, and the breeze is great.”

“Agreed,” Jiwoo says. “I needed this.”

“Why? Tough week?”

“No. I just can’t keep Taeyang out of my head. I wonder how his scratches are. Have you met him or Minhyuk?”

“Minhyuk came into our shop the other day to get a haircut.”

“Did you cut his hair?”

“No. My co-worker did, but we did chat for a little while. He told me that Taeyang hurt his ankle too. Did you know?”

Jiwoo shakes her head. “He hurt his ankle too? On the camp trip?”

“That’s what Minhyuk said.”

Jiwoo frowns. “That makes me feel worse. I should apologize to him, but I never meet him.”

Hye Mi’s phone suddenly rings. She looks at her phone to see who’s calling her.

“Darn it,” Hye Mi says. “Jiwoo, it’s my boss. Go ahead without me.”

“I can wait.”

“No. Just go without me. I’ll follow you up after this phone call.”

Jiwoo nods her head. She grabs onto her backpack straps and continues to climb. Jiwoo takes a sip of her water bottle here and there. She looks back wondering when Hye Mi is going to come up. Suddenly, her phone rings.

“Hye Mi,” Jiwoo says.

“Jiwoo,” Hye Mi pouts. “I’m sorry. I have to go.”

“Why? What’s wrong?”

“Something happened at home. I have to go.”

“What about your boss?”

“She just had a quick question for me, but my mom needs my help at home.”

“Is something going on at home?”

“Mom just wants me to help her around the house. I’m sorry. We can finish this hike another day.”

“Sure. Go help your mom.”

“Why don’t you come down too?”

“No. I’ll finish the hike. I need some fresh air anyway.”

“Okay. If anything happens, call me.”

“Of course. Bye.”

They hang up. Jiwoo continues to climb. Once she reaches the top, she enjoys the view. Jiwoo relaxes for a little while. She takes a deep breath and smiles. Jiwoo turns around to head back down, but she stops when she sees Taeyang standing in front of her.

“Taeyang,” she says. 

He doesn’t say anything. Instead, his head drops.

“Hello,” she says.

“Hey,” he breathes. 

He’s wearing hiking clothes and has his black hat on.

“Have you been well? Are your scratches healed,” Jiwoo asks. She can’t even see them because the sleeves to his shirt are covering his arms.

“Yes,” Taeyang replies. “They’ve healed.”

“They didn’t leave a scar right?”

He shakes his head.

“How about your ankle,” Jiwoo asks.

Taeyang’s head raises. “How did you know,” he asks.

“Hye Mi ran into Minhyuk one day, and he told her. Then, she told me,” Jiwoo replies.

Taeyang hangs his head again.

“Why didn’t you tell me that you hurt your ankle,” Jiwoo asks. “You even carried me on your back.”

“My ankle is fine now,” Taeyang says. “I went to the doctor, and they gave me some medicine.”

“You’re totally healed?”

He nods his head.

“That’s good,” Jiwoo says. “I’m very sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

He raises his head again. “It wasn’t your fault.”

“Yes it was,” Jiwoo says. “If I didn’t slip, you wouldn’t have gotten hurt.”

“But you got hurt too. Are you healed?”

“Yes,” Jiwoo replies. “I am.”

“I should go down now,” Taeyang says changing the subject. He turns around and starts walking down.

Jiwoo follows him.

“Do you hike often,” Jiwoo asks.

“I go when not many people are here,” Taeyang replies.

“I see.”

“Or when I need fresh air,” Taeyang continues.

“The air here is fresh. I like it.”

Taeyang doesn’t answer.

“Taeyang,” Jiwoo says. “May I have your phone number?”

He raises his head. He turns and realizes that Jiwoo is walking beside him. Taeyang hangs his head again.

“Why do you want my number,” Taeyang asks.

"To call you or text you," Jiwoo replies.

Taeyang extends his hand over to Jiwoo. She smiles happily and hands Taeyang her phone. He types in his phone number into the phone before handing the phone back to Jiwoo.

"Thank you," Jiwoo says. She saves him under his name. "Want my number?"

Taeyang hands Jiwoo his phone. She happily types her number into his phone before handing his phone back to him.

"What are you doing after this," Jiwoo asks.

"I'm going home," Taeyang replies. 

"How about tomorrow?"

"I'll be at home."

"Want to go out for lunch?"

"No, thank you."

Jiwoo frowns. "Dinner?"

"No, thank you," Taeyang replies.

Jiwoo frowns.

"We can go to dinner next weekend though," Taeyang says. He slowly raises his head.

Jiwoo smiles again. "Really?" She asks.

He nods his head. "How about pasta," he asks.

"Pasta is perfect. It'll be my treat."

Taeyang nods his head.

Jiwoo feels her heart speed. She feels giddy, and she likes the feeling.

 

Jiwoo lies down on her bed. Her heart is still speeding away. The thought of going to dinner with Taeyang is an amazing thought. Jiwoo can’t help but smile. However, that smile quickly fades. She sits up.

“Wait,” she says talking to herself. “But why am I so happy? I’m actually looking forward to this?”

Jiwoo grabs her phone and starts texting Hye Mi.

“Is everything fine,” Jiwoo asks Hye Mi through text messaging.

“Yes,” Hye Mi says. “Nothing big happened. Did you finish the hike already?”

“I did. I’m at home right now. I bumped into Taeyang on the way down.”

“Did you? Did you apologize to him like you said you would?”

“I did. We’re also going to dinner next weekend.”

“What?”

“It just happened to be like that.”

“Explain to me in detail what happened.”

Jiwoo tells Hye Mi.

“You initiated the idea first,” Hye Mi texts.

“I did,” Jiwoo texts feeling ashamed.

“Why did you do that?”

“I don’t know, but why do I feel happy? Why am I waiting for the day to come?”

“Are you nervous too?”

Jiwoo listens to herself. “Yes,” she replies.

“When did it happen,” Hye Mi asks.

“What happened?”

“When did you fall in love with him,” Hye Mi asks.

Jiwoo’s eyes widen. “Me? Love him? Are you kidding me?”

“No. Have you never had a boyfriend? Girl! You’ve had tons!”

“But I’ve never felt this way before.”

“True love?”

Jiwoo thinks to herself.

For the rest of the week, Jiwoo can’t stop thinking about the date. She’s even dreamt about it. 

The day finally comes. Jiwoo spends the whole day getting ready. When it’s time to pick out an outfit. She looks through her clothes in the closet. She pulls out a dress and wears it. Jiwoo looks into the mirror and smiles.

“I like it,” Jiwoo tells herself. She smiles happily. “Wait.” Her smile disappears. She looks at her dress in the mirror. “Is this too much? Am I trying too hard?” She picks another outfit. Jeans and t-shirt. “But this looks so plain.” Jiwoo tries another outfit. At the end, she chooses to wear shorts and a black shirt that hugs her body. She throws on a cardigan and calls it good. Jiwoo keeps her hair down.

Jiwoo sits at a table and waits for Taeyang to show up. Jiwoo takes a sip of her water. She sets the glass down and looks up. Jiwoo sees Taeyang walking over to her confidently. He isn’t wearing a black cap and his usual black clothes today. He’s dressed neatly, and his hair is neatly combed.

“He looks handsome,” Jiwoo awes to herself. “How can a human being be so handsome?”

Taeyang sits down at the table. “Sorry I’m late,” Taeyang says.

“No,” Jiwoo replies. “I just came early.”

“Did you order yet?”

Jiwoo shakes her head. 

The two of them order, and the waiter brings them their plate of pasta.

“Do you like it,” Taeyang asks.

Jiwoo is chewing. She nods her head. “It’s great,” she says. She feels so happy that she can’t help but smile. “What did you do before coming here,” Jiwoo asks Taeyang.

“I ran some errands for my mom,” Taeyang replies. “You?”

“Uh.” She can’t tell Taeyang that she was getting ready all day. “I did some house chores. Then, came here.”

He nods his head.

“His head isn’t looking down,” Jiwoo tells herself. “His head is up. His eyes may be down, but I can see his entire face. His handsome face.”

Suddenly, Jiwoo hears people whispering. 

“Isn’t he the ual assaulter,” a woman whispers.

“What is he doing here,” a man asks. 

“I would be ashamed if I were him,” another woman whispers.

Jiwoo looks at Taeyang. He has his head down. Jiwoo frowns. She feels bad for Taeyang.

“Taeyang,” Jiwoo says. “Have you eaten here before,” she asks hoping to rear his attention to her instead of the whispers.

He nods his head. “Minhyuk took me here,” Taeyang replies.

“How many times have you eaten here,” Jiwoo asks.

He raises his head. “This is my fourth time,” Taeyang replies.

“What’s your favorite dish here?”

“The dish I’m eating right now.”

“Is it good?”

“Want to try it?”

Jiwoo nods her head. Taeyang pushes his plate toward Jiwoo.

“Can I just grab some with my fork,” she asks.

He nods his head.

Jiwoo takes some pasta from his plate and takes a bite. “Mmm,” she hums. “It is really good. Did you have this the time Minhyuk brought you here?”

Taeyang nods his head. “He suggested this pasta.”

Jiwoo nods her head. 

“Is she the next victim,” a woman whispers. “Poor her.” 

“Taeyang,” Jiwoo says trying to distract him again. “You’re not wearing your hat.”

“Yes,” Taeyang says. “I told my mom about today, and she told me to dress nicely.”

“I’m glad you listened to her. You look very handsome without your hat, and the clothes you’re wearing looks very nice on you.”

“Thank you.”

“You should keep your head up too,” Jiwoo says. 

He looks at her.

“Your face is too handsome to hide all the time,” Jiwoo says.

“You think so,” Taeyang asks.

“Of course!” Jiwoo smiles. She sees his face light up. “Taeyang,” Jiwoo pauses. She tries not to blush. Her heart is beating so fast. “I.”

“Taeyang!”

Jiwoo looks behind Taeyang and sees Minhyuk walking over to them.

Taeyang turns around. “Minhyuk,” Taeyang says. “What are you doing here?”

“I came out because I’m hungry,” Minhyuk says. “Was this where you said you were going to eat with Jiwoo?” He smiles at Jiwoo. “Hey, Jiwoo.”

“Hello,” Jiwoo greets back.

“May I join you guys?”

He sits between Taeyang and Jiwoo, but of course closer to Jiwoo. He orders his dinner and starts eating.

“Mmm,” Minhyuk says. “This pasta is great as usual. Want to try some,” he asks Jiwoo.

“No, thank you,” Jiwoo replies.

“Taeyang,” Minhyuk says. “I’m so glad you came out like that. Mom was right. You look handsome when you’re not trying to hide your face.”

Jiwoo smiles.

“Thank you,” Taeyang says.

“Jiwoo,” Minhyuk says. “Are you busy next weekend?”

“I,” Jiwoo quickly thinks of an excuse. “I have to visit my parents,” she says.

“How about the other weekend?”

“Hye Mi and I made plans already.”

“The weekend after that one?”

Jiwoo tries to think of another reason. 

“Minhyuk,” Taeyang says. “Should we buy mom some pasta,” Taeyang suggests. “She likes the pasta here too.”

Minhyuk nods his head. “Sure,” Minhyuk replies.

Taeyang continues to talk distracting Minhyuk from Jiwoo.

Jiwoo sighs in relief. She continues to eat.

“Who is that man,” a woman whispers. “He’s so good looking.”

Jiwoo hears. She knows they are talking about Minhyuk.

“Why is he sitting with the ual assaulter,” a woman asks.

Taeyang and Minhyuk has stopped talking. Taeyang has his head hanging again, and Minhyuk is eating normally.

“Jiwoo,” Minhyuk says. “Should I take you home afterwards?”

“No, thank you,” Jiwoo says. “I drove myself here.”

“Should we go for dessert?”

“No, thank you,” Jiwoo replies.

“You two go ahead and eat,” Taeyang says. “I’m full. I’ll be going now.” He stands up and starts walking away.

“Taeyang,” Jiwoo calls. “Wait!” She grabs her purse and follows Taeyang.

“Jiwoo,” Minhyuk calls, but she doesn’t turn back.

Taeyang is paying for the bill.

Jiwoo stands next to him. “I already said I’d pay,” Jiwoo says. 

“It’s okay,” Taeyang says. “I can pay. You can pay next time.”

The man behind the counter gives Taeyang his card back. “Thank you,” the man says.

“Next time,” Jiwoo asks.

Taeyang walks away. 

Jiwoo follows him.

“There’s a next time,” Jiwoo asks Taeyang.

He nods his head.

Jiwoo smiles. “Taeyang,” Jiwoo says. “I have something I want to say to you.”

“What is it,” Taeyang asks.

They exit the restaurant together.

“Actually,” Jiwoo starts. “I.”

“Taeyang,” Minhyuk calls. 

The two of them stop walking.

Jiwoo curses in her head.

Minhyuk runs over to them. “How can you just walk away like that the two of you,” Minhyuk asks. 

“I said I was full,” Taeyang says.

“And I was going to pay for the bill,” Jiwoo says.

“Are you just heading home than,” Minhyuk asks.

The two of them nod their heads.

“Okay,” Minhyuk says. “Let’s go. I’ll walk you to your car, Jiwoo.”

“It’s fine. My car is just right there,” Jiwoo replies.

She walks over to her car and climbs in. Jiwoo turns the engine on and drives away.

“She hasn’t changed one bit,” Minhyuk says. He smiles.

Taeyang looks at him. "Do you still like her,” Taeyang asks.

“Of course,” Minhyuk replies. “She’s like a gem. A gem that I must have.”

“You’re not going to throw that gem away after finding a new one right?”

Minhyuk shrugs his shoulders. He walks away.

Taeyang walks after him. 

“I’m actually going to be home late,” Minhyuk says. “Don’t wait for me.”

“Don’t cause trouble,” Taeyang says.