One

Behind That Frown

 

The bell rings indicating that class has ended. Before that, all the students were in their assigned classrooms listening to their teachers give them lectures.

“That’s all for today,” the teacher says. “Make sure to get home safely. Study for the upcoming test on friday.”

The students groan.

The teacher taps on the stadium he stands in front of. “No groaning,” he warns. “Have a good day.” He walks out, and the students turn to their friends to start talking.

Hye Mi turns around. “Want to go get some food,” Hye Mi asks her friend.

Jiwoo nods her head excitingly. 

The two friends pack up their notebooks and pencil pouch. They shove them into their backpacks and swing their backpacks on their back. They lock arms and head out.

Other students are already in the hallways. Some are standing on the side talking to each other, and some are running around playing with each other.

“Oh my gosh it’s Minhyuk,” a male student says. “I see him everyday, but his looks improve each day.”

“I know,” a male student agrees. “He gets good grades without even trying to study, and on top of that, he’s handsome. All the female students want to date him, and all male students want to be like him even me.”

Hye Mi and Jiwoo stop walking. They see Minhyuk strolling down the hallway. He’s talking with his friends and smiling happily. He’s shining so brightly gaining everyone’s attention.

“Wow,” Hye Mi tells Jiwoo. “He’s beautiful.”

Jiwoo stares at Minhyuk. “I guess,” Jiwoo agrees.

“Too bad we can’t even start a conversation with him.”

“We don't have to anyway.”

“Let’s just go eat.”

The two of them continue to walk to the cafeteria.

The next day at school, Hye Mi and Jiwoo are in the lunch line receiving their food. The two of them carry their trays to an empty table. As they walk, someone suddenly bumps into Jiwoo making her food spill all over. Jiwoo gasps.

Everyone's attention goes to her.

"Oh my gosh," the male student says shocked. "I'm so sorry."

Jiwoo looks up and sees Minhyuk standing in front of her. He may look great, but he just made her spill her lunch.

Jiwoo disgustingly dusts her shirt off.

"I'm very sorry," Minhyuk apologizes. "I'll pay for your dry cleaning."

"No thank you," Jiwoo says annoyed.

"I'll buy you lunch too."

Jiwoo sighs. "No thank you. Hye Mi, you go ahead and eat lunch, I'm going to clean myself." She squats down and starts cleaning up the mess.

Minhyuk looks at her apologetically. He squats down and helps her.

Jiwoo is surprised at Minhyuk’s action. 

"I caused this mess," Minhyuk says. "I'll help clean it."

Jiwoo doesn't complain. After cleaning up the mess, Jiwoo heads to the bathroom to clean herself up. After doing what she can, Jiwoo walks out of the bathroom and sees Minhyuk waiting for her.

"Again," Minhyuk says. "I'm very sorry for what happened." He hands her a sweater. "Wear this. It'll hide the stain."

Jiwoo accepts the sweater. "Thank you," she says.

"You're welcome," Minhyuk replies. "You can give that back whenever you want."

"This is yours?"

"Yes," he replies. 

Jiwoo walks away.

"I'm very sorry," Minhyuk shouts.

The school bell rings indicating school is over. Hye Mi and Jiwoo are walking out of school. Students are spread everywhere.

"That sweater belongs to Minhyuk," Hye Mi asks.

"Yes," Jiwoo says. "He gave this to me to cover up the stains on my shirt."

"That's so nice of him," Hye Mi awes.

“It’s so hot, but I can’t even take it off because of the stains.”

“At least he gave you a sweater.”

"Because of him, I smell like stinky tofu."

"I know you're mad, but you got to talk to him."

Jiwoo sighs annoyed. "Let's just go home," Jiwoo says. "I have to wash my shirt and go take a shower."

 

The next day, Jiwoo is sitting at her desk writing down notes. Hye Mi is in front of her doing the same thing. 

It is break time, and all the students are scattered around the hallways and classrooms. 

Minhyuk strolls down the hallway. He is holding a white bag in his hand. Minhyuk stops at a classroom and looks inside.

A female student walks by and gasps, “Minhyuk,” she breathes. 

Minhyuk turns his head and sees the surprised student. He shows her a warm smile making her heart melt. “Are you in this class,” he asks her.

She nods her head.

“Is Woo Jiwoo in your class,” he asks.

“Yes,” she replies.

Minhyuk looks around in the classroom and finally sees her sitting at the back. He smiles. “Thank you,” he tells the female student. Minhyuk walks into the classroom and heads straight to Jiwoo. He sets the bag down on her desk. 

The students in the classroom were loud, but they’re now quiet. They’re surprised that Minhyuk is in the classroom. He goes straight to Jiwoo.

Jiwoo sees the white bag. She lifts her head up and sees Minhyuk standing in front of her. “What’s this,” she asks him.

“This is my apology,” he says. “Since I spilled your lunch, I bought lunch and some snacks for you.” He sets the bag on her desk.

The female students awe.

“I don’t need it,” Jiwoo rejects. “Take it back.”

Minhyuk is taken aback, and so are the students.

“Since we’re on the topic,” Jiwoo says. She turns around and grabs the sweater that is hanging on the back of her chair. Jiwoo hands the jacket over to Minhyuk. “I’ll return this to you.”

“Thank you,” Minhyuk says. He accepts the sweater. 

“He gave her his sweater,” a female student says jealous.

“That’s so sweet! I wish I was her,” another student comments.

“You can take your food back,” Jiwoo says.

“I bought the lunch,” Minhyuk says. “And I already gave it to you. You can eat it or throw it away, but I won’t take it back.” He smiles. “Have a good day.” He turns around and exits the classroom.

All the students rush over to Jiwoo and asks her what happened.

Jiwoo explains to them what happened. “I don’t want this,” Jiwoo points to the bag. “You guys can have it.”

A female student grabs the bag and runs away. The other students groan and run after her.

Jiwoo continues to write down notes again.

Hye Mi turns around.

“Do you think Minhyuk likes you,” Hye Mi asks.

“Me,” Jiwoo asks. “Never.”

“Then why is he being so nice to you?”

“Because of the accident.” Jiwoo sighs. “It’s actually annoying.”

“Why? The smartest and hottest guy in school is talking to you. If I were you, I would be so happy! I’d probably even date him.”

“I admit to him being handsome and smart,” Jiwoo says. “I’m grateful he would even talk to me and feel so apologetic, but I wouldn’t date him.”

“Why not?”

“Did you not see those students? They went crazy over a bag of food he bought. Imagine me dating him. If we were to hold hands, I think they would go even crazier. I’d be their target of gossip.”

Hye Mi thinks. “True,” she agrees. “Minhyuk is as popular as an idol. If I date him, there will be paparazzi everywhere we go.”

“Exactly.”

“It’s better to date someone else.”

Jiwoo nods her head.

“I still think he likes you though,” Hye Mi says.

Later that day, Minhyuk pulls Hye Mi to the side.

“Why did you want to talk to me,” Hye Mi asks.

“Go Hye Mi,” Minhyuk starts. “You’re Woo Jiwoo’s best friend right?”

“Right.” Hye Mi nods her head.

“I want to ask you what she likes. Like her favorite food? Her favorite snack?”

“Jiwoo likes chocolate,” Hye Mi replies.

“Chocolate? What kind of chocolate? Dark chocolate?”

“Milk chocolate.”

“Milk chocolate. Okay. Thank you.”

“Why are you asking?”

“Because I’ll buy her some.”

“She’s going to reject it like she rejected your lunch this morning.”

“That’s fine. I just want her to forgive me.”

 

“I think I’m right,” Hye Mi tells Jiwoo. “Minhyuk definitely likes you.”

“What makes you say that,” Jiwoo asks.

They’re both walking home.

“He asked me what your favorite food was,” Hye Mi replies.

“And what did you tell him,” Jiwoo asks.

“That you like chocolate. You’re probably going to receive chocolate tomorrow.”

Hye Mi was right.

Minhyuk and Jiwoo are at the back of the school. He is holding out a bar of chocolate.

“I heard you like chocolate,” Minhyuk says. “So I bought you one.”

“I heard that you were going to buy me chocolate.”

“Hye Mi told you?”

Jiwoo nods her head. “I’m sorry, but I can’t accept it.”

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t want to.”

“Does that mean you’re still mad at me?”

“I was. Not anymore.”

“So you forgive me,” Minhyuk asks with hope in his voice.

Jiwoo nods her head.

Minhyuk smiles. “That’s a relief.”

“You can take your chocolate back,” Jiwoo says.

“No,” Minhyuk replies upset. “The chocolate is for you. You can take it and throw it away if you want.”

“Why are you so persistent? Do you like me?”

Minhyuk shyly smiles. “Am I that obvious,” he asks.

Jiwoo sees his cheeks turning red.

“Is something wrong with your eyes,” Jiwoo asks.

“What,” Minhyuk asks taken aback.

“Why me? There are so many pretty girls here. Comparing me to them, I’m just average. Maybe even below average.”

“Not at all.” Minhyuk shakes his head. “You’re beautiful. Your smile is beautiful, your hair, everything about you is beautiful. You’re even smart.”

“I’m not smart. I study a lot hoping to gain some knowledge, but after some time, my brain filters out what I learned. I don’t remember a single thing I read. It’ll be better if you dated another girl and not me.”

“No,” Minhyuk says. “You’re perfect, and I won’t stop pursuing you.”

“I’d appreciate it if you’d stop.” Jiwoo walks away.

She sits down at her desk. Hye Mi turns around.

“What happened,” Hye Mi asks. “He gave you chocolate right?”

Jiwoo nods her head. “But I didn’t accept them. He even confessed to me.”

Hye Mi gasps. “He did?”

Jiwoo nods her head. “I rejected him.”

“He has good taste.”

Jiwoo shakes her head. “It’s annoying.”