9.1 - Break Out (Sakura POV)

The Thinker who Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Sorry, this chapter turned out to be too long, so I had to cut it into two parts... so there are two chapters to check out in this update.

 

“Unnie, I am not going to Tokyo.”

 

She could feel that Eunbi wanted to push away to ask questions, but Sakura clamped down on her embrace to keep her unnie in.

 

“I just talked to my father, and I told him that I am staying here, with you.”

 

Eunbi gasped at the news but Sakura wasn’t sure if she understood it enough when she said ‘with you’. Even though her words last night to Sakura were unnecessarily harsh, it did cause her to think again. It’s true that she never fully understood if she had simply wanted her talent to be recognized, or even that she wanted it just because of her father. Somehow, having those questions asked by Eunbi directly feels completely different from talking to herself and running round circles in her head with it.

 

Eunbi’s accusations on her and Minju seemed very shocking, but it had made Sakura stop to ask herself why she was running away from her in the first place. Why was she so afraid to disappoint Eunbi or face her in her current state? When she achieves her dreams, who does she want to be by her side to share the joy with? And speaking of dreams, what are the dreams she truly wants? She remembers how Eunbi’s face lit up when she tried to explain how making real time multi-angle viewing in a battle royale game is hard. It didn’t matter that she couldn’t get one bit of it-- she knew she had all of Eunbi to herself at that moment. Maybe that's why she couldn’t face her with the fact that she was feeling weak and unmotivated at work, because she was scared of disappointing her. Ultimately, she wants to make a game that she can show and play with Eunbi. She wasn’t exactly running away from a crush; she was running away from her dreams.

 

Flashback to call with Minju last night

 

She had called to tell her how she broached the subject, and how Eunbi just threw a fit and dashed out of the house without eating her dinner.

 

“Minju-ya, I think Eunbi Unnie is really mad at me. She’s never shouted like that before…”

 

“I couldn’t believe you waited till now to tell them. And Nako...isn’t that her dad too? Are you planning to let them meet up?”

 

“I… I don’t know Min… Nako never showed interest in him and...and she looked like she expected this and accepted immediately, which in itself is eerily upsetting… but Eunbi-Unnie… she’s never… her glare was devastating, and… and… I’m confused. I got so many things in my head right now. I don’t have anyone else to turn to but you…”

 

To Sakura’s surprise, Minju’s sigh could be heard from the other end of the line.

 

“You told me about it all this time, and yet you decided not to talk to Eunbi-Unnie about it?” Her voice was even slightly agitated. “You’ve already made the decision and then you finally decide to ‘consult’ with them-- with her?”

 

“Min...are you mad? Of course I needed to speak with you first to get your opinion… I needed someone I can trust to give me council, since you’re my…” Sakura felt a lump in as no word seems to be able to form in her mind.

 

“Since I’m your what?” Minju asked rhetorically. “Unnie… we both know… or maybe it was just me… I knew. I told you on the first night we met that purple was Eunbi-Unnie’s lucky color, the color she always wore to exams.”

 

“So?” Why were we suddenly talking about colors?

 

“I know who you’re looking at when you wrapped the scarf around me at the shop that day and said, ‘It fits you well.’” 

 

Oh, the purple scarf I gave her. Sakura held her breath as she had never thought of it that way. Although now that Minju put it this way, she couldn’t deny that all these times, she was choosing ‘her’ color, she was looking at ‘her’ face, and she was apprehensive of how she would disappoint ‘her’ with her work life, with her love life, and with the choice she was making now.

 

“I think for the person you care so much about, it’s time to tell her how you think. Kkura-Unnie, thanks for everything. You helped me rebound to my usual self by being here with me, but I can’t do anything for you in return, even if I gave you all my support for your decision. If your father represents a significant part of who you came to be, then I can tell you that I do not make up the future you envision. So nothing I said is going to make a difference as long as you don’t have Eunbi-Unnie on this with you. Do you understand?”

 

End of Flashback

 

Perhaps past regrets shouldn’t dictate her current dreams. She’s always been headstrong, so what is she afraid of this time? She decided to talk to her father today to make up her mind, and just now, she got her answer.

 

She releases the girl in her arms and lower her gaze slightly towards Eunbi, who looks back in confusion and mouth agape. She is so cute and precious...Sakura thought. It gave her the courage to speak up on a past she had wanted to bury.

 

“Have I ever told you about the real reason why I didn’t move in with the family three years ago? I think it’s time I let you know everything.”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Flashback to three years ago

 

[At the Sashihara household]

 

“Sakura, Kaeun is someone I love, and plan to spend the rest of my life with. I know that you are old enough to make your own decision and live your own life… but I really want you to come live with us as we start anew in Seoul. Could you consider that?”

 

“What about Dad? Is there really no way you can get back together with him?”

 

“Saku--” Her mother sighed and smiled sadly. “It’s been nine years… and… there are some things that make this complicated. It’s not as easy as it looks. I am so sorry we tried the way we did and failed on you. One day, I will let you know everything and hope you can forgive us for it.”

 

“I, I don’t want to know.” Sakura bowed her head and shake it in dismay. “My question....is quite unreasonable though, I understand that. I was just… you know… hypothesizing. Congratulations again, Mum.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter