2 - Cafe Manager (Eunbi POV)

The Thinker who Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: Okaasan is “Mum” in Japanese and Eomma is the same in Korean. These will be how the girls refer to their parents from now on to distinguish which one they are referring to.

 

It has been one month since Sakura moved into their house. Things were slightly awkward at first, with the language barrier and Sakura’s understandable guardedness. It took a while for some habits to change-- little things like setting the right pair of bowls and chopsticks on the table, to timing chores so that she does not interrupt one of Sakura’s gaming sessions like she did two nights ago, when she barged into the store room half after a late night workout to dig out some towels from the pile of fresh laundry.

 

“Urgh…” Eunbi facepalmed herself as she relived the embarrassment in her head. Letting out a huge sigh, she put the rinsed plates on the rack before grabbing her coat and car keys at the porch. That’s when she saw the source of her embarrassment stumbled out of their bedroom as well.

 

“Morning, Saku-chan!” She greeted warmly, looking at her sister in amusement. Sakura had paused briefly when she saw the mismatched pair of socks on her feet before shrugging and continued to put her boots on.

 

“Morning Unnie…” The left heel refuses to stick in place despite the half-hearted wriggling.

 

“I thought you’re out already… it’s nine.”

 

“Yea I know, I stay up late on a..raid?..it.. longer than thought…ouch...” She stomped her feet on the floor to jam her heel into the cup, perhaps a bit too forcefully. “I thought I had it all planned out, just like the train that…….I’m gonna missifIdontgo now!”

 

“Hey..” Eunbi tugged her back on the shoulder. “Let me give you a lift to the next station. There should be more options there as a big transfer hub. We’ll look it up when we’re on our way.”

 

“Thanks, Unnie! What will I ever do without you!”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

One thing Eunbi was kind of glad is that Sakura’s language learning abilities are almost as good as Nako’s. Despite both of them trying to speak in each other’s languages, having home turf advantage and the fact that Eunbi is a bit dense in that department meant they were soon communicating quite decently in Korean. This also means no more awkward silences as they take 10 minute drives to the train station, something that’s happening more and more as the oversleeping gets frequent.

 

“Don’t they eh...what's the word for 'punish'...em er...you, in-churn?” Eunbi tries to joke playfully in Japanese as she poked the screen of her phone shut, having determined the best train route Sakura should get this morning. She failed miserably as she get stumped on her first sentence. She just wanted to ask if her company gets mad at the intern for being late and oversleeping.

 

"Haha, Unnie, you are so cute!"

 

"Sakura-ya, I won't let your Korean beat my Japanese, you know?" But she has already lapsed back to Korean.

 

"No, no, I prefer it this way." Sakura quickly poked a few things on the phone and then announced. "Ah right. Yes. I want to say-- keep your Japanese this way. You have cute lisp."

 

"Lisp? No I don't have a lisp. Do you know what that word means?"

 

"Yes, I just looked it up on Naver Translate."

 

Eunbi blushed, thinking of how she might actually sound worse than childspeak. So much for acting like an old, reliable sister, but she also kind of feel giddy that Sakura is making jokes with her.

 

"Oneesan...are you unhappy?" Sakura's voice suddenly cooled down, misinterpreting Eunbi's silence as discomfort.

 

"No!" Eunbi notices that Sakura will switch to honorifics in Japanese when she's nervous and trying to be formal. It seems that there is still some way to go before they can warm up to each other fully. She is not quite sure how to explain, and how much she will understand it.

 

There is a minute of silence as the morning radio rambles on about the weather. Sakura tries to restart the conversation.

 

“It’s not so strict there as long as I am not latest one. I should be there by 9:40 something, em around-- hopefully with half of the team at the raid last night, including team leader Lee, I can be one of earliest.”

 

 

“Hah, your team is a tight one, playing games together after work, even when games ARE your line of work.”

 

“Well, checking the competition is also kind of our job. My job...we are.. change the game to make it fun for Korea people here. You gotta play with them to understand them. It’s interesting...now that I can see the….the code?...from seniors in our head office, but also how the play styles are so different here, and they allow us...allow me to change the design to make it work in Korea.”

 

Even though Eunbi couldn’t look at her due to the driving, just hearing the passion from her voice, and the way she managed to say this all without too much struggle in the vocabulary, clearly shows how much thought she has put into her work and how much she’s enjoying it.

 

“I’m glad you found something you like, Saku-chan.” Eunbi’s smile has a faint hint of sadness that her sister does not pick up.

 

“Thanks Unnie. Now please..hope no one from the Tokyo Office called before I get in, so I can pass this internship and start do new gaming projects!”

 

Eunbi laughs and wonder how the whole team must look like, slogging their way through codes, sprites and animations daily with dark circles and sore throats from all the shouting, keyboard banging they do at night. At least, that’s how she thinks those multiplayer game works, with all the noises she hears and the flashes of bright screens from door cracks as she passes by the gaming room sometimes. Yes, the gaming room, which is also the store room…

 

“Saku-chan…?”

 

“Hm?” Sakura looks up from her cell phone.

 

“I...are you sure...I know I have asked before...that the game does not have video cameras on?”

 

She heard a very audible gulp and rustling which is typical Sakura overreaction. 

 

“No...oh no, of course! No! We use the sounds, the mic, and all that for talk only!” Sakura clearly caught on what she was trying to ask. Well, no , because it just happened two nights ago. Eunbi still remembers how Sakura turned and gasped when she rushed into the room, all sweaty with nothing but sports bra and black short tights on. They both froze on their spots, as Eunbi’s eyes wandered slowly from Sakura to the screen, finally realizing the situation due to the pixelated figurines moving in it. Then, the relatively mild buzzes of game sounds were suddenly interrupted by loud screams from the speakers. A yelp escaped from Sakura as she turned back round and slammed the laptop screen shut.

 

Flashback to the gaming room two nights ago

 

“Unnie…”

 

“Sorry, I, I forgot you're here.” Eunbi slowly advanced towards the rack of towels, since...well, the game is interrupted already and she kind of needed to get what she needed.

 

“It’s okay...it’s just a quick pvp …” 

 

Then Eunbi noticed that the gamer was looking down and blushing furiously when she spoke.

 

“Was it...screams of real people I heard just now?” She suddenly felt conscious and wraps her arms around herself to cover up.

 

“O, they were my teammates, both for the game and for the work…” Her rambling got interrupted immediately by a shriek.

 

“What!? Did they see me come in? Oh my God they must have!” 

 

“Nonono!” Sakura stood up and turned around, knocking over a cardboard box that was propping up one of her side monitors.

 

Some scrambling ensued but it was Eunbi who caught the falling object and bent down over the crouching Sakura, as she stretched all the way out to grab onto the neck of the monitor, almost tripping if she didn’t have excellent balancing from her yoga classes. Sakura, who was also trying to salvage her precious equipment in a frankly pathetic attempt, could only turn her head to look back at its savior in joy and relieve.

 

Her idiotic smile darkened into a crimsoned face in an instance though. Eunbi followed her downward casting gaze until she saw what Sakura was ‘struck’ by. 

 

“I’m sorry! Not mean to look!” She covers her face with both palms as Eunbi sets the monitor back in place and pulled back, covering her the top of her bra now, and eyes darting around to anywhere but the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter