15 - Private Detective (Nako POV)

The Thinker who Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: Thanks for waiting and reading! We'll start getting some insights this chapter as to what is weighing things down, and more misunderstanding from Nako-chan's pov! There have been quite a lot of rl Kkubi moments lately, which explains why this author is slow at updating ^_^, please forgive me.

 

 

 

Nako went to school today feeling puzzled at what got Sakura so drunk during a Wednesday night, who the person that took her back was, why that said person looks like Eunbi, and how sickly Eunbi herself looked this morning even though she insisted she was fine.

 

This only led to more questions when she came back and saw Sakura being doted with all these presents and cooking by the strange lady, who calls herself Irene, and just left after leaving a ‘mess.’

 

“Saku-chan, what’s with that?” Nako points at the massage chair and the porcelain set on the dinner table.

 

“I… I don’t know what’s gotten to her--- she’s some rich successful woman I met at work-- maybe that’s how rich people here treat their friends?” Sakura grimaces in pain as she held her still hungover head. “Look, she’s kept me up all day, and I’m going to think about how to return all these-- except the mended wall. I’m going to take a nap.”

 

“But…”

 

And there, even Sakura just disappeared from her sight, and went back into her room.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Saku-chan,” Nako spoke up at the dinner table later that night. It’s been a few days since she ate dinner with one of her sisters. She could tell that something was off since Sunday, but both of them seem to have a great knack of avoiding each other and herself. Asking Eunbi has resulted in nothing so far, but with Sakura getting so depressed drunk last night, she’s got to find out.

 

“Hm?” Sakura hummed and sipped her soup quietly.

 

“Are you and Eunbi-Unnie in a fight?”

 

“No.”

 

Liar. Nako sighs and shakes her head. She’s always been kept away from ‘adult’ stuff-- when are they going to treat her equally?

 

“We’re not fighting, Nako-chan. I’m just being a fool. I know Unnie is not going to like me telling you this-- but I--”

 

“I confessed to her.”

 

Sakura looked up from her bowl of rice to anticipate the shock on Nako’s face, which of course, never came. 

 

“Why aren’t you…”

 

“Why am I not surprised? Neechan… you guys have been acting like a married couple. Everybody knows that you’re in love!” Nako chuckles in slight disbelief and puts down her food to pay full attention to her sister now.

 

“And...and you’re okay with it?”

 

“Saku-chan, what part of our family has been conventional so far?” The petite girl shows a thoughtful look that is rare on her child-like face, which often belies her maturity. “The thing between you two has been going on for a while, so if I had wanted to object, I would have done so ions ago. I’m more surprised that you have just only confessed-- you guys have been in quite a period of denial!”

 

“Ah~huhhuh,” Sakura gave a bitter smile. “It’s mostly just Unnie tolerating all of my advances. I wish I hadn't done it now. I got rejected, and made things awkward between us…” Pausing to take a deep breath, Sakura clasps her hands together in a plea. “Nako-chan, I’m telling you this because I’m sorry, and I also need your help! Please, help me get things back to normal between Unnie and I again!” 

 

“Okay, I get it, but… is being her sister only what you really want?” Nako furrows her eyebrows. “Also, look around you. What is Unnie gonna say when she comes back and sees all this?”

 

Nako is referring to the semi-makeover that Irene Bae has left behind this afternoon. Needless to say, she’s shocked that someone that doesn’t act like a dork claims to be Sakura’s friend and brought her back last night. She’s never heard of this Ms. Bae from Sakura before, and she looks suspiciously like Eunbi-Unnie.

 

“Who is that Irene Bae anyway? Why is she loading you with presents, and why were you with her last night? Eunbi Unnie-- she looked extremely displeased seeing her last night. You better watch out when she comes back later.”

 

Eunbi Unnie is obviously jealous and worried about Saku-chan. In what universe would she reject that poor girl? Sakura may be the one that’s doing all the teenage-boy level of flirting, but Eunbi-Unnie has been acting like a romance novel heroine. She has never seen her like that-- not even when she was in her last proper relationship.

 

“I tried to drown my sorrow with alcohol--which yes, I know, I know-- is unwise. Irene-Unnie also happened to be there and she took me back. That’s all, we’re not even that close…”

 

Not close, huh?

 

At that moment, the door opens. Eunbi Unnie is back earlier than usual…

 

“Nako-ya, is Kkura still in bed? Is she feeling fine now?” Eunbi walks in, half-expecting to see Nako only. She’s stunned by all the new items in the household, her head keeps turning left and right, checking everything out in puzzlement.

 

“What...what happened?”

 

Nako’s gaze just naturally lands on Sakura, prompting the oldest to look at her with knitted eyebrows.

 

“Uh-em, Unnie, I got an unexpected visitor today, and she kinda ‘ordered’ all this…”

 

“Who?” Eunbi asked urgently with a stern face.

 

“She took me back last night. Her name is…”

 

“Bae Joohyun?!” Eunbi almost shouted. “Sakura, how did you get caught up with somebody like her? What’s your relationship with her...how?”

 

Eunbi simply went completely bonkers, taking the box of wrapped up plates off the counter, placing it on the floor, then picking it back up again and pushing it to the far side of the room. There’s a look of horror in her face-- like she doesn’t want to touch her rival’s presents, but at the same time, she’s panicking to get it out of her way.

 

“Unnie...relax. I knew her from work, and she’s just being nice. She’s eccentric because she’s kind of rich I guess. Anyway, if you don’t like it, I will get it sorted tomorrow.”

 

Sakura seems concerned about the ashen look on Eunbi’s face, and quickly approached her to calm her down. She was about to put a hand on her arm to soothe her, but Eunbi looked away.

 

“Just, make sure you don’t see her anymore. Please.” 

 

Wow~ is Unnie being so desperately jealous? That chaebol woman is surely no match to you! Nako thinks as she watches the tension between the two.

 

“Unnie, we’re not close. She’s my client’s big boss… I, I can’t just ignore her.”

 

“I know who she is. Just stay away from Irene Bae.” She gives Sakura a glare and stomps into her room, slamming the door shut. Meanwhile, Sakura continues to stand there with her eyes wide open, simply stunned.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Neither Nako nor Sakura anticipated such a massive reaction from Eunbi. She never came out of the room, and Sakura just looked too pained to try, so she ended up locking herself in the gaming room the whole night.

 

What Nako didn’t expect, was that next morning when she left the house to go to school, a luxurious car was already parked at the roadside, and out came Irene, greeting Nako with a wry smile.

 

“Ms. Bae...em, good morning, what are you doing here?”

 

“Oh,” She flicks her hair casually and takes off her sunglasses. “I’m just hoping to take Saku-chan out for breakfast.” She walks towards Nako, who’s still standing outside the door, her back standing against it so it couldn’t shut completely. She was just, too stunned to move. This woman has no sense of pace and decency! She’s going for Saku-chan, right under my Eunbi Unnie’s nose!

 

“Is she in?” She peeks through the small gap and Nako immediately pulls it shut, blocking her way.

 

“Eh~ Saku-chan is a late riser. She’s probably still sleeping…” Nako scratches her face with a finger nervously to hide her panic.

 

“What’s with the noise, Nako-ya?” Eunbi probably heard the commotion and opened the door again.

 

“Ah~ Ms. Eunbi.” The devil looking doppelganger sizes Nako’s precious unnie up. “How do you find my presents for Saku?”

 

That’s a straight throw!

 

“You..” Eunbi comes out of the house and closes the door. She walks past Nako, ignoring the looks she’s giving her to leave it, and glares menacingly towards the woman. “What tricks are you trying to play? Stay away from Sakura, I tell you.” 

 

“And what if I don’t want to?” Irene steps forward and starts to raise her voice. “Sakura! Sakura!” She shouts, causing Eunbi to leap towards her to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter