7 - Shall we play this Game? (Sakura POV)

The Thinker who Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: Thanks for the comments....I finally figured this out, I feel so stupid now ^.^ Paying tribute to aienbest-nim’s 'The Second Snowfall' with the snowflake and scarf reference here… the fic cemented my Kkubi shipping, much needed since Yuunaa is my fav and compared to that, Eunsaku gives crumbs vs feasts in real life LOL.

 

 

 

 

“Unnie, pleaseee!” Minju is giggling as Sakura tries to snatch the controller back from her.

 

“You can’t cheat like that!” Sakura exclaims. “I was winning!”

 

“That’s because you always aim the banana peels on me, and that’s no fair, Unnie!” She pouts and finally finishes the race at 5th place. They have been playing Mario Kart in Minju’s dorm room all afternoon, and Sakura had been having fun teasing the novice gamer with bombs and traps whenever she has the chance.

 

“Oh come on, I’m so far ahead of you… how are you so sure it’s my peels?” Sakura laughs but the froggie just punches her shoulder in protest.

 

“Aw Ouch...Min...that hurts!”

 

“If it doesn’t hurt, why would I do it?” The younger girl reminds her indignantly. She now sports bright pink hair, a new color she dyed because she wants to look into the mirror and see cherry blossom colors. 

 

“Hey...enough now, do you want to order delivery?” 

 

“Yeah, sure, but Unnie, I'm so hungry already... make me some cheese strings please?”

 

Sakura moved her face close with a cheeky smile as she wanted to observe the girl's pout and about looking like Pepe again. However, she met Minju’s eyes midway and paused instead. The hesitation was enough to ruin the moment, so she smiled and ruffled her hair. Then she stood up, stretched her arms and walked towards the mini pantry, where the fridge and the microwave is. Lately, she is making herself quite at home in the dorms, spending most of her suddenly abundant free time here with Minju. The first night happened because she was greeted with a pile of mess by inviting herself inside after walking Minju home-- the power of a breakup is as destructive as a hurricane, Sakura found. She was all spent after tidying up the place with her new friend, and they both fell asleep cuddling each other on the sofa, earning very painful neck cramps the day after. Minju felt very sorry and wanted to repay her, so that’s how it all got started.

 

Minju...she is a much needed distraction. A blank slate who, unlike Yena and Hyewon, is not her co-worker, or unlike Nako and Eunbi, is not her family. Moreover, Minju is just so stunning to look at, with pronounced features but a soft face, and very slender and model-like proportions. She is exactly Sakura’s type, a visual that will just make her doki doki with excitement, and one who she can have fun with, without worrying about how the relationship would take them. She accepts her everything without any expectations and questions, and that is precisely the breather she needs. 

 

What they are doing right now… are they going on dates? Is Minju her girlfriend, like everyone thinks she is? She doesn’t have to worry too much, because Minju never presses her on about that, and even though they look inseparable, it’s only them who know that they haven’t even shared a kiss for all the nights they spent together.

 

Sakura admits she was not rushing to clarify the relationship only because she still remembers how she has narrowly missed confessing her crush towards Eunbi. It was a dangerous night, where she openly ogled and touched her-- her Oneesan. It already crossed the line of being embarrassing-- Eunbi is her sister, and she is straight! She was glad that she did not divulge her thoughts further, or else what could have happened now? Would she be willing to look out for her when she was sad, and comfort her to sleep in her arms if she knew? Sakura felt she is not ready to lose that all over a passion that is probably going to be short-lived.

 

It also did not escape her that she tried very hard to set Minju up with her. She was probably just trying to be supportive, but Sakura cannot help but feel that this is effectively drawing the line and defining their relationship as sisters that they should be… and she needs to respect that. If she could survive Jurina, then eventually, this crush she has on Eunbi will pass...

 

If she fails in her career already, she can’t fail in her family. More still, she shouldn’t fail in her love life. Shall I go for Minju? Sakura continues to swim in her jumbled thoughts, and these days, she just tires her best to cruise along the enjoyable bits that Minju is offering her. Taking the string of cheese out, she walked back towards the couch and plopped herself into the sofa.

 

“Min… ahhhhh~~” She makes a voice and the girl beside her immediately opens to be fed. Getting closer and closer, Minju wraps her arms around her unnie’s waist and leans onto her after taking the last bite.

 

“Hey you almost bit me, Minguri!” Sakura snickers as she threw the now-empty packet away on the coffee table.

 

“Kkura-Unnie, I’m cold.” The girls snuggles in closer.

 

“Where is the scarf I bought you?” Sakura asks as she rubs the shoulders of the girl in her arms, looking around.

 

“O...it’s still in the bag over there…” Minju’s tone sounded noticeably flat compared to the childish whines she was doing just now.

 

“Hey~” Sakura stood up and walked across the room to unwrap the bag, looking slightly perplexed rather than unpleased. “We chose this together the other day...don’t tell me you’ve forgotten about it?” She finally got the wrapping paper off, revealing an oversized purple wool scarf with a snowflake pattern on it. Uhmmmm, that looks cosy to be in and so fitting...

 

Walking back into the couch, she wrapped them round Minju and herself and smiles satisfactorily as she puts the TV on to some random variety program playing on the background.

She almost forgot about her own question but Minju finally spoke up after a few moments of silence.

 

“No, I haven’t. It’s very nice and warm.” Minju once again snuggles further into Sakura’s chest and rubs her knees gently to show her appreciation. “I love it, Unnie.”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Another slow day at work passed by, where Sakura adeptly finished all the design changes for some campaigns they are running in a couple of games. Lately, she’s been given a lot of individual work on small changes here and there, something she knows is still a testament of trust that her team has on her, but nothing that is frankly as exciting as designing the games.

 

A ping on her phone leads her to check on Minju’s Kakao message.

 

“Hey~~~ I made Tiramisu just now, let me smuggle it to the movies later, so don’t you dare stuff your stomach full of Hyewon-ssi’s snacks before I see you. *heart emoji*”

 

The thought of Minju reprimanding her puts a huge smile on Sakura’s face, but her phone was snatched up by Yena, who happened to pass by and see the message.

 

“No wonder you are making such a goofy face...it’s your wife calling, right?”

 

“Wife...no! How many times have I said already, Minju’s a friend.”

 

“You are foolish to let this beauty slip away, Kkura! God, why are you so lucky, being surrounded by cute lolis, y unnies, and beautiful girls who also bakes you dessert? While I here...am stuck with another night of over time…”

 

Honestly, Sakura thought to herself, I am willing to trade places with you right now. Instead of voicing this out loud, Sakura stood up and smacked her sunbae’s head in order to get her phone back.

 

“Ya...ya, talking as if you don’t have a cute girlfriend who brings you dinner and overlook your careless mistakes and flaws…”

 

“Hey that’s different, she’s feisty!” Yena flashes a wicked grin. “Are you all done today?” She looks at the handbag that Sakura just slips onto her shoulder.

 

“Yes. What hours could a couple of bug fixes and community reports really take up? I left my brain at home today...gotta scoot now to pick it up for the movie we’re seeing tonight.”

 

“Hey…” Yena stood up and walked over. “Don’t be so sour Kkura-ya. You have been doing great, and you do know that bugs don’t get mechanically fixed so easily, right? We all love the work you do, you gotta hang in there. And also, you gotta come back to our gaming nights more!!”

 

She has been getting this quite often and needless to say, she is thankful to have such great colleagues who are so nice to her. But it’s true that the sidelining at work while she sees her team having secret meetings in the glass “war room” does take a toll, and is making her bitter every passing day.

 

At the same moment, the phone on her desktop rings. What can’t wait till tomorrow? Sakura wonders as she picks up the phone. 

 

“Hi Miss Kwon Sakura, this is Park from the General Manager office. Mr Ji would like to see you now, is that okay?”

 

Mr Ji? The General Manager? How come?

 

“Yes, I will come right away.” She sets her phone down and takes a deep breath. What did she do wrongly? But wait, even if it’s a mistake, she’s such a nobody that it shouldn’t take a general manager to deal with her. Well, what could it possibly be?

 

The elevator pinged a notification as it reached the top floor. It was only when the door slid open, that Sakura can finally feel the adrenaline rush of stepping into a place she never thought she would step foot on. 

 

Walking carefully past Ms. Park after bowing to her gingerly and getting the secretary’s approval, she knocked and open the double doors of the Korea GM’s office. Walking in, she realizes that the desk is empty, but instead, Mr Ji is sitting on one of the sofas, with the back of another man who sits across him facing Sakura.

 

“Good afternoon, Mr. Ji.” She greeted the biggest boss in this country.

 

“Come over here, Miss. Kwon. I would like to introduce you to the new chief creator who has joined WizOne Productions at the Japan HQ.”

 

Sakura can feel her hands tremble as she walks towards them. Why are such big shots spending time to meet with me? Are they trying to get perspectives of young customers from the newbie? Or is she called because she is Japanese? Or, did they want to see her because of the last adaptation launch?

 

“Sakura…” A baritone voice shook her brain and froze her steps.

 

“Let me introduce you to Miyawaki Gentaro, which I’m sure, needs no further introductions.”

 

Sakura tries to open to speak, but she finds dry as she stares in horror the smiling man in casual suit and thick rimmed glasses gazing upon her.

 

She understood what Mr. Ji meant when he said the man needs no introduction. He is the most revered game designer who churned out two hit series in the playstation consoles, all in the adventure and action genres. That a man of such stature would join a company known for online multiplayer games is very exciting and unexpected for the community.

 

However, the man needs no introduction to Sakura, because he is her father.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Sakura arrived outside the cinema where no one else was left except Minju and her popcorns.

 

“Unnie, you’re late!” Minju wanted to throw a bit of tantrum at her date, but seeing the ashen look on her face, she immediately rushed towards the girl.

 

“Sorry, Minju…” Sakura woke herself from her own trance and glanced around, finally realizing that no one else was around. “Am I that late?” 

 

“You look unwell. Did something happen?” Asked Minju urgently.

 

“Minju-ya…”

 

“Unnie, let’s not watch the movie. Tell me all about it.”

 

The couple found a place to sit down. Minju saw how Sakura is biting her lips and fidgeting her fingers in deep thought.

 

“I..I don’t know where to start…” She finally looked up and measures the worried girl carefully, thinking about how much she should talk about. She never thought Minju to be the first person she will cofide this in, but somehow, their relationship has come to that. “I, I saw my father today.”

 

“Your dad? When did he come to Korea? Does Nako-chan know?” Minju reacted in surprise, and Sakura shook her head.

 

“He came, as the new chief creator of our company. That’s like, the boss of my boss of my boss of my boss. He’s...how should I say it. He’s huge in the industry, but I never thought I would meet him like this. We’re in practically different fields.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter