The Leaf in Autumn

The Happily-Ever-After Miyawaki family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Anytime soon. 

 

Anytime. 

 

 

 

Sakura took a long break from his work. 

 

Days became more intense. 

 

Every single movement from Hyewon could trigger his alarm.

 

 

 

 

“Yahhh Sakura I understand your concerns but-”

 

 

He phoned Yena almost every day. 

 

 

“I’m so worried I don’t think she can take it what should I do Choi??”

 

 

Yena knew how it feels, he tried to assure his friend as much as possible. 

 

“You weren’t like this before Sakura, just try to keep calm, she’ll be fine.”

 

 

“Oh God, Choi, how am I supposed to be calm?”

 

 

“What she needs the most now is your presence and care, not you overreacting over it on the phone.” 

 

 

“She’ll be fine, I know her, she’s tough.”

 

 

“Now, get your back to her side and be her shoulder to lean on.” 

 

 

 

Apart from being on pins and needles, the anticipation too was unbearable.

 

The father prepared everything he could think of to welcome his beloved baby boy. 

 

He even decorated his room with colourful mattress, heaps of plushies and toys. 

 

“Our little prince must get the best of everything.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Miyawaki couple kickstarted the first day in September with a light Western breakfast made by the husband. 

 

Approximately since mid-August, the weather had gradually transitioned from blazing hot summer to breezy, beautiful autumn. 

 

Hyewon remained seated in front of the dining table, lazily spaced out with her chin placed on her hands while staring at the silvery wind chime hung at the backyard which they brought back from their short trip to Okinawa last year. 

 

Sakura insisted her to leave the mess all to himself and just take her time relaxing after the meal. 

 

Listening to the ambient sound around her, with Sakura humming to some unknown songs in front of the sink which was often interfered by the noise of the porcelain plates and cutleries when they made contact. 

 

In contrast to Sakura’s anxiousness, Hyewon surprisingly was feeling leisurely serene.

 

All she needed was Sakura.

 

As long as he could always stay by her side, everything would be fine, she believed. 

 

 

 

“Wonnie~” Sakura put his arms around her shoulders, the citric fragrance of the dishwashing liquid coming from his hands lingered in the air, “Shall we go for a walk in the park? If you’re not feeling tired.”

 

She held his palm and nuzzled it with her cheek, it was so fluffy and soft he lovingly pinched it gently, “Why not? I want to visit the poor fallen leaves.”

 

“Of?” 

 

“The maple trees.”

 

“Eh?” He tilted his head, “-oh right it’s entering autumn season.”

 

She accusingly bit his pinky finger, “How can you not notice Kkura? It’s already the 1st of September.” 

 

“Ouch.” 

 

 

“Let’s get going Kkura, I might want some pancakes with maple syrup from that cafe before the morning menu got taken down.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Her small hand in his big hand, they leisurely strolled along the manmade stone paths in the park. 

 

Rays of sunlight penetrated the thick layer of mixture of yellow and coral above the park. 

 

Leaves swayed in the air when the breeze gently brushed over them.

 

 

“Let her exercise her body a bit, it might help to reduce the struggle during labor.”

 

It would be harder for Hyewon to pick those fallen leaves laying on the ground, but she wanted one. 

 

The stubborn side of hers arose, she stopped under a tree with a branch growing lower than the rest, raising her palms. 

 

“What are you doing babe?” 

 

“Catch a fallen leaf.”

 

He placed her beige handbag he’s been holding on the ground, jumping repeatedly to snatch one away from the branch. 

 

“Babe don’t.”

 

“Don’t you want one?” He confusedly stared at her. 

 

She glanced at the branch, still patiently waiting for one to react to the gravity, “It’s not called a fallen leaf if it doesn’t fall from the trees.”

 

 

“We wait for it to willingly let go of its grip.” 

 

 

Sakura slid his hands into his coat pockets, the handbag slung on his left arm. He silently admired the view of the most perfect woman in the world with a gentle smile, under the golden layer of leaves. 

 

She brought both excitement and serenity into his life. 

 

She is mine. 

 

 

 

A slight weight landed on his head. 

 

Before he could grab it, Hyewon excitedly pressed his shoulders down to reach the leaf on his hair. 

 

“Look, it chooses you. Blessings from the tree falls upon you.” after observing it keenly, she placed the coral coloured maple leaf into his palm. 

 

“Then,” He stuffed the piece back into her palm, “I give the blessing to you.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

The breeze grew stronger. More leaves started to fall. 

 

She wasn’t interested in waiting for the leaves anymore so he brought her to the nearest bench. 

 

The leaf given by him was carefully protected in her small hand. 

 

 

“I’ll get you some water and another coat from the car, wait for me here.” 

 

Their Mazda was parked at quite a distance from the park. Next to a shoplot with some cafes and restaurants. 

 

Oh right!

 

 

 

 

15

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter