Where Are You?

MOMMY AND ME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Where are you going?”

Turning her head at Seunggi, my mom stops at the door. “Out.”

“Looking for Changwook?”

“I need some fresh air.” Avoiding the question, my mom turns the door handle and steps out

“YoonA, come on.” Seunggi puts the pot he's currently filling with water back onto the kitchen counter. “You know you're not that good at lying.”

My mom sighs, turning her head to look at Seunggi. He has been nothing but the best. He is too kind. She feels so bad doing this to him.

“At least let me come with you.” He walks for the door.

“I don't want you to hurt.”

“I am already hurt.” Seunggi grabs his coat and his keys, coming to my mom's side. “You've made your choice clear. Changwook always comes first."

When my mom is about to deny his words, Seunggi lifts his hand to stop her. “Don't even try to say otherwise. You even put your own safety behind. Look at you, a week away from your due date and still trying to look for this man. Tsk.”

“I'm afraid something is wrong with him. It has been three weeks with no news.”

“If he's a good man, he would have called you. Even if he can't, a family member or an acquaintance should have contacted you per his request. This is probably your dear soldier running away from his responsibility once more.” Carefully, Seunggi helps my mom down the first flight of stairs.

“He never runs away. He didn't know I'm pregnant at that time.”

“Well, that brings me to another question. If he is that important, if he is that good, why didn't you tell him about your pregnancy the first time?”

“You won't understand.”

“Fine. I probably don't want to understand anyway.”

“Seunggi...” My mom stops, holding onto the railing with one hand while using the other to clutch her belly. “I said I don't want you to hurt. You've done more than enough for me. You can stop now. I'll be fine.”

“You think? Look at you. With that big belly. With a baby on the way. Do you seriously think of facing all of this by yourself? Do you think I can leave you alone knowing that this bastard probably doesn't even care?”

“Please don't curse in front of my baby.” My mom frowns.

“That's not even half of the stuff I hold back inside, YoonA.” Seunggi stands two steps down from my mom, looking up with frustration. “He turns you into this stupid person and I can't do anything about it. If wasn't for you I would have beaten this into pulp."

Shaking her head, my mom steps down slowly.

“I've been waiting for you to come around. Years after years.” Seunggi holds my mom's hand, carefully helping her conquering the last few flights of stairs to the third floor. “Even if I have to wait for another decade or two, I won't mind. Just don't be like this. Not for a man who doesn't recognize your worth.”

They stand facing each other now. My mom looks like she's about to cry, heaving after the exhausting trip. Seunggi looks like he's torn between anger and pity, staring at my mom deeply.

“Don't cry now.” Seunggi leans on the wall, sighing. “We still have two floors down.”

“You're the one who makes me cry.” Tilting her head back, my mom tries to blink the tears away. “You're so mean to me today.”

“I want you to see reality, YoonA. I want you to wake up and move on." Seunggi reaches for my mom's hand. "Look, you even refuse to move into my place, afraid of hurting Changwook's feeling. This is you hurting yourself, walking five floors down while you can easily use the elevator if you had agreed to live in my apartment.  Stop waiting for him, YoonA. You know I'm a much more responsible man compared to him.”

“I'm not refusing to move out because of him.”

Seunggi's laugh is cynical and empty as he straightens up and put his other hand behind the small of my mom's back. “Fine. Whatever. Let's find him so you can change your mind forever.”

“Hey, kids.” My mom steps out of Seunggi's car, greeting the triplets who are busy playing on the steps in front of Changwook's house. “Is your uncle home?”

“YoonA,” Seunggi yells from the driver seat. “This alley is too narrow. I'll come back after finding a parking spot, okay?”

My mom nods, coming closer to the kids. “Hey, Daehan. It's Daehan, right? Your name?”

One of the boys stops jumping up and down the steps, looking at my mom. “Yes. I'm Daehan.”

“Is your uncle home?”

“No.”

“Did he leave? When?”

“A long time ago.”

“Really? Do you know where he went?”

“No.” The little boy shakes his head.

“How about you two? Do you know where your uncle is going?”

“Salute!” One of the boys stands straight, saluting the other. “Uncle went to salute the general.”

The three boys laughing, starting to salute each other and yells loudly.

“Saluting the general?” My mom thinks for a moment. “Did he wear his uniform when he left?”

“Yep.”

Sighing, my mom tries once more. “How about your grandma? Is she home?”

“Grandma is sleeping.”

Deciding to wait for Changwook's mother to wake up, my mom sits on the step. Her gaze falls on the three boys. A smile adores her face as her hand moves to touch me through the oversized sweater she has on.

“What's in your belly?' One of the boys gets bored of playing and directs his attention to my mom's belly.

“A baby?”

“Whoa.” Another boy joins in. “Is it a boy or a girl.”

“A boy.” My mom grins. “A cute one like you.”

“Minguk's not cute.” Little Daehan comes forward. “He smells.”

“I am not! Manse smells!”

“No!”

“Yes. Manse smells!”

“No!”

“Okay. That's it. Come here.” My mom opens her arms wide so the three of them can fit into her hug. “The three of you are cute. No fighting.”

“Four.” Manse lifts four fingers. “Four with the baby.”

My mom laughs, ruffling Manse's hair. It has been a while since she laughs like this and I love the way it sounds. “That's right. Four cute babies. I can't wait to see you guys play together.”

“I missed it so much.” Seunggi comes walking, car keys in hand. “That hearty laugh.”

My mom smiles at him, letting go of the boys but not before kissing one of them on the cheek. "I can't wait to meet my baby. I bet he'll be as cute as these three."

“If he also has your smile, I'm in trouble." Seunggi smiles too, staring at the small house in front of him. "Changwook isn't home, is he?”

“No, he's not. I'm waiting for his mom to wake up. Maybe she knows something. His nephews said he went wearing a uniform.”

“Oh? He's back on duty?”

“I don't think so.” Shaking her head, my mom turns her head to look at the closed door. “Handicapped soldier needs to go through a series of assessments before going back on duty. He must have gone to see someone at the office. I'm so worried right now.”

Seunggi sighs, sitting beside my mom on one of the steps. “You haven't had any meal since breakfast yet. Why don't we go somewhere to eat and come back later.”

“I'm not that hungry.”

“Well, I am.” Seunggi pats his belly. “I was about to cook some mean ramen when you made me go  out in this cold weather.”

“Ramen!” Daehan grabs Seunggi's hand. “I want ramen, uncle. I'm hungry.”

“Me too!”

“Me too! I'm so hungry. My stomach is empty.”

“Really?” Seunggi laughs, grabbing one of the boys and take him on his lap. “You haven't had lunch too?”

“Breakfast and lunch.” Daehan shakes his head, frowning. “Grandma fell asleep before she cooks our omelet."

“What?” My mom stands up. “When was that? This morning?”

“Uh-huh,” Minguk adds. “She fell asleep on the kitchen floor, dropping the pan. I am very hungry, aunty. Let's get some ramen!”

“Oh, no!” My mom rushes to the door. “Seunggi, something's wrong! Hurry.”

Seunggi runs past my mom, pushing the door open before hastily crossing the living area to the small kitchen. “She's here, YoonA. She's here.” He immediately kneels beside the old woman who lays unmoving on the floor.

“Oh, God.” My mom waddles as fast as she could. “Check her pulse. I'm calling an ambulance.”

  "We need to perform heart surgery on her.” The young doctor ends his lengthy explanation as a nurse puts a paper on the desk. “Please sign this document of consent.”

“But I'm not.... “ My mom shakes her head, confused. Everything happens so fast. From the ambulance to the ER to this operation theater, she barely has a chance to breathe. “I was just visiting. We're not related."

“Then you should call her family and ask  for consent immediately."

“I already tried to. His only son didn't pick up. Can you just perform the surgery?”

“It's a risky one. Seeing that she was brought in way too long after the heart attack there's a 50% possibility she won't make it. Signed approval is needed.”

“I'll sign it.” Seunggi comes in with the triplets in tow, grabbing the paper.

“Seunggi...” My mom stares at him questioningly.

“I'm a distant cousin. Thes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter