Rivalry

MOMMY AND ME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Changwook watches me.

Well, he probably watches my mom sleeping but sometimes his eyes dart to my mom's belly. So I'm pretty sure he is watching me also.

I kick, creating a dent on my mom's stomach visible to his eyes. His eyes go wide as he leans closer so I kick again. He smiles widely. That proofs it. He watches me. I feel joyful. Now I know that he's my father I wonder if our smile will look alike.

"Is she still sleeping?" Seunggi comes through the front door bearing grocery bags. "Did you tell her to move into the bedroom?"

"Yeah. She prefers the couch though. She said it supports her back better."

"But it's getting colder out here." Dropping the paper bags on the kitchen counter, Seunggi sighs. "You should have coaxed her to get inside."

"I just want her to feel comfortable." Changwook comes to the counter, taking out his wallet. "How much for all of these?"

"What do you mean?"

"I want to pay for these groceries. This much stuff must have been costly."

"It's fine. You saw her give me some money earlier right?"

"Which probably only worth one-third of these groceries. Look, you even bought imported strawberries. They are not cheap."

"YoonA likes strawberries. I want her to have the best there is."

"Let me pay for these."

"I said it's fine."

"Here. I hope this much is enough." Changwook pulls out a few crisp bills from his wallet.

"What are you trying to do?"

"Huh?"

"What exactly are you trying to do? Bragging? I said it's fine. I bought YoonA stuff before. Keep your money before I punch you in the face."

"What? Come on. Don't be like that. I'm trying to help here."

"Why?"

"I'm the father of the baby. This is the least I can do."

"Why now? Where were you when she needed you the most? Why did she never talk about you before?"

"I had stuff going on, okay? I made a mistake. I'm here now and I want to do nothing but good."

"She doesn't need you."

"Maybe, but I have the right to be here. She has allowed me to."

"I know YoonA so well. It's so not her to get pregnant out of wedlock. She respects her job. She goes by the rule." There's anger in Seunggi's eyes when he stares at Changwook. "What you've done to her is despicable. You must have tricked her into this mess."

"Or it could be love. I meant, do you even know YoonA enough to see how smart she is? Do you seriously think she will fall for a man's trap?" Changwook's eyes are as fiery when he steps closer to the counter. "YoonA and I, we fell in love. Stuff happened when two people share the same feelings toward each other. Beautiful stuff. Stuff a boy like you can only dream of."

"You bastard." Seunggi's punch lands on Changwook's face as soon as he ends the profanity. For a second, Changwook staggers on his prosthetic legs. He bounces right back though, grabbing the collar of Seunggi's shirt. Seunggi doesn't stay put, immediately grabbing the front of Changwook's white T-shirt.

"!" Changwook sends his fist but Seunggi manages to catch it first.

Uh oh. They are fighting. I send my knee against my mom's ribs to wake her up. She yawns, stretching her arms up.

The two guys separate in a flash, pretending nothing has happened between them.

"Oh, Seunggi. You're back." My mom slowly stands up and heads to the counter. "Oh my, strawberries."

"Ilkook said it's from today delivery. Totally fresh. I bought mussels and prawns too. You can give that seafood pasta recipe we saw on TV yesterday a try."

"Nice. Changwook loves seafood too. You'll stay for dinner right, Changwook?"

"If you say so." Changwook grins triumphantly.

"Wait a minute. What's happened to your face?" My mom comes closer to Changwook and touches his cheek. "The corner of your lips is bruised."

"It's fine. I fell in the bathroom." Still grinning, Changwook throws a glance at Seunggi. 

"And hit the corner of your lips?" My mom throws Changwook a look of disbelief.

"I'm still learning to use these, remember?"  He pats where his knees meet the prosthetic legs. "You know how easily distracted I am."

"God. You should be careful next time. The bathroom in this apartment is very narrow."

"Yes. Ma'am."

"Sit down on the couch, please. You need some hot compresses on that bruise." My mom walks around the counter and stretches to reach for a bowl on the top cabinet. "Ah. I can't reach anymore. Baby gets in the way. Help me, Seunggi."

"Here." Seunggi takes the bowl for my mom. "Do you want me to help compress his bruise while you prepare the pasta."

"Good idea. Thank you, Seunggi."

"What? No." Changwook's protest make me laugh. The idea of being catered by Seunggi clearly doesn't sound too appealing to him.

"Don't be such a baby. We're all hungry and she cooks better and faster than both of us." Seunggi draws a stool closer to the counter. "Here YoonA, sit down. Don't stand too long on your feet."

My mom sits down, pulling the bag of mussels her way. "Get me a brush and a bowl of water, Seunggi. This mussels need to be cleaned first."

"Alright. Here." Seunggi moves around the kitchen with ease. "Do you want a glass of water to drink too?"

"Ah, you know me too well."

Seunggi throws a look at  Changwook, getting my mom a glass of water and put on a show of putting it in front of her. "Anything else?"

"Nope. Go help Changwook."

Seunggi goes slow this time around, taking his time just to pour hot water into the bowl. 

"Isn't the compress supposed to be warm?" Changwook asks from the couch, staring suspiciously at the bowl in Seunggi's hand.

"This is warm."

"You only put hot water in it."

"Don't be such a baby, it is warm." Seunggi grabs a cloth from the counter top.

"Isn't that a rag?" Changwook cranes his neck.

"It's a piece of cloth. I use it every time."

"My point exactly. Isn't there a new one? Are you trying to give me an infection?"

"Man, you're so whiny. It's not like you have an open wound." Seun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter