Liutenant Ji

MOMMY AND ME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We're in the city. Mommy and me. After a long journey we're finally out of the mountain and away from the woods. She's now standing in front of a very huge building. General Lee Seunghwan Military Hospital says the signage standing before us.

My mom enters the building feeling a little nervous.  I can feel her marvels at the wondrous interior of this hospital. It’s completely different than the tents and the trees she has grown accustomed to. Some people inside are in army uniform, some are in nurse attire or doctor coat, only a few wearing plain clothes like my mom.

"Hi, I'm here to visit someone." My mom takes out her id while smiling politely at the receptionist. "I'm sergeant Im Yoona from platoon 207 of batalyon 09D, looking for lieutenant Ji Changwook."

"Yes, ma'am. Please wait for a moment." The receptionist types into her computer, glance up at my mom’s ID, then type again. My mom puts her duffle bag down, turning around to scan the inside of the building.

"I'm sorry ma'am but we can't complete your request."

"What do you mean you can't? He's here, right? Liutenant Ji?"

"Yes, but he's not open for public visitors at the moment."

"Public visitor? I’m her-“ My mom stops, can’t quite put a label on the relationship she has with the lieutenant. “We’re from the same platoon. I want to see if he’s alright.”

“I’m sorry, mom. Doctor’s order.”

Mom turns her head again, looking around as if the busy people in the reception area might help her. Not even one person seems to notice her.

“Can you at least tell me if he will be fine? How severe is his injury?”

“I’m afraid patient’s record is confidential here."

“Come on now. He was hit by a grenade. We are close. I need to know for sure.” My mom has her hand on her stomach now. I can feel the bile rising in and the dizziness in her head.

“I’m sorry, ma’am. I’m just a subordinate here.”

“Alright. Alright. I’m sorry.” My mom turns around. Her gaze lands on the duffle bag. Hoisting it up, she turns to face the receptionist again. “May I use the restroom?”

“Sure, ma’am. Turn left on that corridor.”

My mom practically dashes to the restroom, heaving over one of the sinks and throws up. Once, twice, three times. When it’s over, she rinses and washes her face, looking into the mirror.

“We need to find a way around.” She whispers, rubbing her belly. This is the first time she talks to me. It makes me happy.  Very happy. She then gets into one of the green cubicles, closing the lid of the toilet before lowering her duffle bag on to it. Pulling out a clear bag of her uniform set from the duffle, she changes into the camouflage clothes. After fixing her long hair into tight ponytail and dons her field cap, she hides the duffle bag under the sink and walks out of the restroom.

She hits the elevator stealthily, following two doctors and a nurse who pushes an old patient on a wheelchair. Quickly, she slips to the back and hides behind the people.

“Which floor?” A male doctor turns his head and smiles at my mom.

“Nineteen?” My mom throws a random number in, glancing at the buttons.

“Nineteen?” The doctor raises his eyebrows. “The morgue?”

“I meant nine.” her lips, my mom pulls up her best poker face.

"We're going to the eleventh floor, Doctor Oh." The nurse says, smiling at the doctor.

"Same as us then." Wiping his ID card on the sensor, the handsome doctor presses the button to floor number 9 and number 11.

“Visiting someone, Sergeant?” The patient in the wheelchair also turns his head to talk with my mom.

“Yes.”

"When I served it took me only two years to be a sergeant. How long have you been serving?"

"Four, sir."

“From which unit are you?”

“Platoon 207, Battalion 09D, Northern border, sir.”

“Oh my, the attacked platoon?”

“Yes, sir.”

“I heard you guys were ordered to fall back. I didn’t know that it’s this far back. Have our country lose its dignity?”

“No, sir. The platoon stays on the base and will get back to the border when ordered. I’m back for a personal reason.”

“Really?” The apparent veteran looks disappointed, throwing my mom a demeaning look. “Were you hit?”

“No, sir.”

 “You’re just afraid then?"

“No, sir.” My mom looks down at her boots, feeling embarrassed. It barely lasts for a few seconds. She holds her head up, staring at the man. “If it was a mere hit, I would have still stayed with my squad. We’ve served our country with great pride and I'll join them again in a heartbeat. I have to wait though. I'm pregnant."

The veterant

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter