019

We Are Just

 

HER biggest flaw had always been her inability to say no. So when Jiyeon asked her, she did not say no. She said she would think about it but Jiyeon obviously took it as a yes as she was very happy about her answer already.

 

That night, Eunji went home distracted and bothered. Jiyeon insisted that they go home together since their family driver would pick her up and she could drop Eunji on the way. But Eunji was terrified that she would ask questions that she might have difficulties in answering so she refused. When Chanyeol asked if he could walk her home, she also refused. 

 

She just wanted a time for herself and so opted to go home alone. She went to bed early but her mind could not focus on sleeping as all her thoughts brought her back to Jiyeon's request earlier.

 

If she helped Jiyeon she would lose Chanyeol again. If she did not, she might lose Jiyeon. She heaved a sigh as her thoughts ran through an endless loop. She fell asleep unsure of what to do. 

 

The dawn of the next day brought her an epiphany and that was to avoid both Jiyeon and Chanyeol. 

 

She did not open their chatroom and was not answering any of their messages or calls too. She was also careful not to post anything on her social media account as it may trigger warning to her lookers that she was still alive. Eunji thought that it would be better for them to think of her as a dead person. 

 

But when Jiyeon messaged that she would drop by the dorm to watch some flicks with Eunji, she was forced to send her a reply. 

 

Eunji: We can't do that, Jiyeon-ie. 

Jiyeon: You busy? 

Eunji: I'm going home to Gangwon. Sorry. 

 

So in the middle of the day, after sending that message... Eunji packed her bag and went home to Gangwon to see her mother. 

 

---

 

The strangest thing Jung Yeobin had seen in a while was her daughter at her doorstep. 

 

"Eunji-yah?" She called as she was just staring at her apparition. 

 

"Eomma!" Her daughter walked inside the house and gave her a bear hug.

 

"Are your exams over?" 

 

She nodded as she squeezed her body against her mother. "Yes," She withdrew from their embrace to close their front door. "But I still have some requirements to submit so I'm coming back to Seoul tonight." 

 

Her mother nodded, "Have you eaten?" 

 

She shook her head and pouted. "Left Seoul with an empty stomach."

 

"Aigoo. This child." Her mother ruffled her hair a little. "Come inside. I'm just about to eat." She mumbled with a sweet smile. 

 

She seldom went home these days so having her around on a Sunday brought joy to her mother who had also slacked in visiting her in Seoul. 

 

Yeobin made sure to let Eunji eat everything that she had prepared because she knew so well what it was like to study away from one's parents. 

 

They ate healthily and even told stories. Yeobin recounted how the work in the bank had been stressing her lately and Eunji narrated about how the term had been life out of her because of her unending requirements. The two promised to spend the holidays nicely together this year to declutter. 

 

"I'm thinking about visiting Gyeonggi. What do you think?" Yeobin suggested as she munched the spinach from her japchae. 

 

"That'll be nice." She nodded but she recalled her father's request to spend the holidays at his penthouse. "Any thoughts on visiting appa in Seoul this year?" 

 

The mention of her dad put halt at Yeobin's munching. She gazed at her daughter and flushed. "Look at this child."

 

Eunji grinned. "Come on! It should not be a big deal. You have moved on, right?" She teased further.

 

"Of course, I have..." Yeobin replied defensively. 

 

"And Hyunsung's really adorable. You'll love the kid." Eunji persuaded. Hyungsung was her little brother.

 

"I'll think about it." 

 

While looking at her mother, Eunji thought that the only thing that could make her mother blush this hard or could make her drop everything that she was doing was her father. 

 

"Eomma..." 

 

"Yes, child?" 

 

"Did it ever cross your mind to give appa another shot after his divorce?" She questioned. Her father had mentioned about this to her before. How he wanted to get back with her mother but the latter acted indifferent so he reclined. 

 

Yeobin raised her gaze to meet hers, "I would lie if I say I never thought about that." 

 

Eunji's eyes glinmered at her mother's response. She never asked about these things before so it took her by surprise that her mother actually had thought about it. "Then, why don't you?" 

 

"Things are different know, Eunji-yah. If I were my younger self, who was aggressive and bold, I would have given us a second chance after his divorce, he kept in touch as you know." Yeobin explained. "But having you is enough for me already. You are my happiness, Eunji." 

 

She felt like crying at her mother's words. This was the reason why she always strived hard to make her mother proud. Yeobin put up on a lot of things to raise her alone. 

 

"Eomma..." She sobbed. 

 

"Don't cry. We're eating." Yeobin warned and she had to swallow her tears back. 

 

"I wanted to be like you eomma." 

 

Yeobin beamed. "Sure, but don't be a single mother." 

 

"What's wrong about being a single mother? You yourself is one." Eunji defended. 

 

"My dream is for my grandchild to have a complete family." Her mother stressed. "So make sure to find a good man. Okay?" 

 

Eunji stared at her mother with a disgusting look on her face. "Eomma, what's with this pep talk? It makes me cringe. Why are we talking about your grandchild already? Can't I graduate first?" 

 

Yeobin laughed. "You get some nice finds in college, so listen to me young lady." 

 

"What?" 

 

"If you think you find someone worth your time, don't back away. This person may be worth a try." Yeobin explained further. "Love is always, always worth a try." 

 

--- 

 

At 3 in the afternoon, on the chilly weather they went out to buy some ice cream for snacks. On the way home, they meet Mother Park. 

 

"Chanyeol's eomma!" Yeobin called.

 

"Oh, Yeobin." Mother Park turned to face them until her eyes landed to Eunji. "Eunji?" 

 

"Hello, ahjumma." She bowed down. "How have you been?" 

 

"Oh it's been so long, Eunji!" Mother Park exclaimed getting excited to see her too. 

 

They walked together on the way home and exchanged stories. They mostly talked about what Eunji had been up to since she transferred to Seoul as well as her life in the university. 

 

"How come you did not bring Chanyeol with you?" Mother Park asked as they boarded the elevator. 

 

"Chanyeolie?" Yeobin asked reeling her head towards Eunji. 

 

"Yes," She nodded to her mother. "We're schoolmates." 

 

"He goes to Yoksei?" Her mother asked again. 

 

Mother Park nodded. "They're even classmates in one subject. Right, Eunji-yah?" 

 

"Haha!" Eunji laughed nervously as her mother eyed her suspiciously. She deliberately chose not to talk about Chanyeol as she recounted her stories earlier. The plan had obviously back fired. 

 

"I hope Chanyeol is doing great at school. He was a warm but very stubborn child." Mother Park mused. "When would you be back to Seoul, Eunji-yah?" 

 

"Tonight, Ahjumma." 

 

"I cooked some food. Would you be so kind to bring some to Chanyeol?" The middle aged woman asked with a smile that made it hard for Eunji to say no. 

 

"Of course, ahjumma. I'd be more than willing to." She responded. 

 

 

---- 

 

The funniest thing that happened on that Sunday was when Eunji left Seoul to avoid Jiyeon and she went back to the same place to meet Chanyeol to deliver his foods. 

 

As she got off the subway station, she messaged Chanyeol if he was at home. The guy replied that he was in a grill house just few blocks from the subway. She did not respond and just went to the place where he told her he was. 

 

To her surprise, Eunji found both persons that she was trying to avoid eating dinner on the same table together with her dongsaengs Eunwoo, Sehun and Jinyoung. 

 

"Eunji!" Jiyeon was the first to recognize her as she entered the restaurant. The girl was a bit hyperactive. When she saw the bottles of Soju on their table, she realized that Jiyeon might be intoxicted.

 

"Noona, why do you not respond?" Sehun asked pouting. "We cannot reach you so we just went here without you. I'm sorry, noona." 

 

She found it sweet that Sehun was apologizing that they met without her so despite the little pang of betrayal that she felt at the instance when they saw their small group, she told her soft-hearted dongsaeng, "It's okay, Sehunnie." 

 

Eunwoo nodded, "Jiyeon sunbae invited us to meet."

 

"I went home to Gangwon." She mumbled. 

 

On her left she heard Chanyeol asked, "When?" He looked very bored when she came in but now he sounded a bit energetic. 

 

But she did not reply anymore as her eyes found Jinyoung who was already drunk. Eunji recalled how Jinyoung had low tolerance when it came to alcohol. Her dongsaeng was already flustered with his head lying on the table.

 

"Ohmygod. How much did you give him?" Eunji panicked.

 

"Noona, it was just a bottle." Eunwoo explained.

 

"Jinyoung never drinks more than a glass." She leaned over to check on him. "Jinyoung-ie, do you hear me?"

 

He opened his eyes and stared at Eunji, "Noona... My Eunji noona!" Jinyoung wailed and wrapped his arms around Eunji's neck before.

 

"Ahhh. You're so heavy!" Eunji complained as Jinyoung's weighed pressed onto her.

 

"Yah! Park Jinyoung!" Chanyeol bellowed and quickly removed Jinyoung from clinging to Eunji. Jinyoung clung to his neck this time muttering, "Hyung... I hate you." He whispered, his breath reeking with alcohol.

 

"I know," Chanyeol said and hugged Jinyoung too. They looked like lovers holding each other, if this was another occasion Eunji would have laughed and taken a picture of them both. But she was very much concerned of her dongsaeng.

 

"I'm taking him home." She announced. "You guys should stay here and finish your drinks." She turned to take Jinyoung from Chanyeol's body, "Jinyoung-ie, let's go home."

 

Chanyeol held on Jinyoung and refused to give him back to Eunji, "Let's take him home together."

 

"Do you, umh, also know each other's houses?" Jiyeon asked curiously.

 

"Jinyoung is Chanyeol hyung's roommate..." Sehun explained.

 

"And Eunji stays with Jinyoung's sister." Eunwoo added.

 

"Ooooh. I see." Jiyeon nodded.

 

"We're leaving now." Eunji announced. "I'm sorry, guys... Jiyeon-ie."

 

"It's okay. Take care of Jinyoung-ie." Jiyeon said and waved them good bye.

 

Chanyeol carried Jinyoung at his back. And just like that, they found themselves again together after a long day.

 

---

 

They decided to just bring Jinyoung to Chanyeol's place even though Eunji's was closer. They contemplated that it would be more convenient to bring him to where his things were and that was Chanyeol's place. In case he needed to get changed, his clothes would be readily available.

 

After what seemed to be a long and quiet commute, they reached the house which was empty meaning to say that Minseok was not at home yet. They helped Jinyoung to settle in his bed.

 

"Ahh Park Jinyoung, do you hate me that much?" Chanyeol asked as he slightly patted his shoulders that felt sore after carrying the guy.

 

Jinyoung made an incomprehensible sound that Eunji thought of a confirmation to Chanyeol's question. "I'll help him change." Chanyeol announced which sent Eunji outside Jinyoung's room.

 

She stayed at the living room and was left wondering if her only role in life was to babysit her dongsaengs, or tend to sick and drunk people. She shook her head and just stocked the food containers, Mother Park told her to bring. Few moments later, Chanyeol went out of Jinyoung's room.

 

"Is he good?"

 

"He's sleeping." Chanyeol said, eyes growing tired from baby sitting his roommate. He had removed his warmer and was now just wearing his white shirt that had been ed on top.

 

"I left the food Mother Park gave to the fridge." Eunji announced. "I'll get going then..." 

 

"What? Like right now?" Chanyeol asked. "It's snowing, Ji-ah." He said and pointed at the windows behind Eunji. She turned and saw the exact thing he was describing.

 

"Crap," She murmured. "I need to go home."

 

"It's not like your dorm would leave." Chanyeol reasoned. "This isn't stopping anytime tonight I guess. The other room's unoccupied so..."

 

Eunji stared at him.

 

Chanyeol suddenly looked uneasy. "I just can't send you outside, Ji-ah. The snow is falling heavily. Just stay here, okay?"

 

Eunji sighed finally giving in, "Where?"

 

Chanyeol lead her to the empty room located next to his. It was the same room they used to shoot the bed scenes with Eunwoo. The sheets were still clean.

 

Chanyeol offered his hoodie to Eunji again so she could change into them. He also lent her a pair of his trackpants that were too big on her waist. Good thing was it had strings that she just had to draw to fit.

 

"Ji-ah, I prepared some hot chocolate." He called.

 

Eunji marched to the couch where Chanyeol was already sitting. The guy threw her a look that traveled from head to toe. Then he burst out laughing.

 

"HAHAHAHAHA! You looked like a dwarf, Eunji."

 

"Thanks, borrowed my clothes from a giant." She retorted before taking the seat beside him.

Chanyeol reached for the big hot mug of chocolate and gave it to her. Eunji felt warm as her fingertips touched the hot mug. They sat on the couch and watched the TV. A drama was playing on the screen. She sighed that caught Chanyeol's attention. 

 

"Ji-ah..." Chanyeol called, his words were unsure, careful not to use a wrong word. "You have been ignoring my messages." He thought of asking if he did something wrong but stopped. "Is everything okay?" 

 

Eunji chewed her lips. He noticed that she was ignoring him. She was too tired of overthinking too. She remembered her mother's words earlier...

 

"If you think you find someone worth your time, don't back away. This person may be worth a try. Love is always, always worth a try." 

 

So she sat up straight, dragging her legs to the couch. Doing that made the couch a smaller place for both of them. Chanyeol sat up straight too and faced her. The noise of the TV grew faint against her breathing and her heart pounding. 

 

"I don't feel so good, Chanyeol. "

 

"Tell me what's wrong."

 

"Should I?"

 

Chanyeol nodded, convincing her to go on. His eyes were dark, as dark as his locks.

 

"I hate you." 

 

He looked hurt at her first words but he did not ask why. 

 

"I hate that you're genuinely kind and passionate about the things you like doing. I hate that you always tease me, make fun of me. I hate that you're a carefree spirit and that you give so much, sometimes, even more than you receive..." She paused, running after her breath. 

 

"Do you hate me that much?" He asked quietly. 

 

"Yes," replied Eunji who did not even bat an eyelash. "And I hate that a lot of people like you because you're good looking or talented or because you're so much fun to be with..." she inhaled, Chanyeol dropped his gaze on his hands and did not say a word. 

 

"Jiyeon asked me to help her with you." Eunji confessed. "Help her be close with you, or possibly help her to be your lover or something." Her heart was pounding as she began speaking. Good thing was she was just sitting, otherwise her legs would not be able to support her being.

 

Chanyeol did not speak.

 

"And I don't want to do that, Yeolie." She said, trying to sound her voice as monotonous as she could.

 

"Of course," Chanyeol agreed, his expression remained deadpan. "You don't have to do anything that you don't feel like doing."

 

"I don't think I can go through the same ordeal again." She muttered. "I did that in high school, I don't think I can manage to be in such a situation again... To see you with another girl, and worst of all, a friend of mine." She felt the hot tears forming around her eyes this time. "Oh god. I hate myself too."

 

At this point, Chanyeol looked at her confusedly.

 

She gasped for air, she had started speaking, not saying all her heart's content at this moment would be complete waste of time. She held Chanyeol's gaze before saying, "The truth is... I like you, Chanyeol." She said almost in a whisper. "A little more than a friend should and certainly, because of the same reasons why I hate you." She finally said that left Chanyeol completely dumbfounded.

 

Eunji thought it would be awkward for her to say these things to him but turned out, it was easy. It was probably because her feelings were sincere and no matter how unsure she was of his feelings, she knew she had to let these things out.

 

Chanyeol put his hands on his face. He leaned down to his knees. She could not see his face so she could not tell what his reaction was like. He just stayed still on the same position. He was probably completely shocked at her revelation. There was a long silence until he started sobbing.

 

"Are you crying?!" Eunji asked with wide eyes. 

 

Chanyeol raised his head and wiped the tears around his eyes.

 

She wanted to laugh and take a picture of him to use against him in the future but he looked so soft and sincere so she just proceeded to ask, "Why the hell are you crying, Chanyeol?"

 

"I'm not. I had something in my eyes." He removed his glasses and wiped the glass with the hem of his shirt. Then he started crying out loud again. Eunji scooted close to him enough to reach for his face.

 

He stopped crying and looked at her, "I was always afraid that you would run away if I told you the same thing. . And now you're here, telling me the exact words I've been dying to tell you."

 

She asked as she stopped wiping his tears. "What words?" She panicked. 

 

He held her hand on his cheek. "I like you too, Eunji." Chanyeol confessed. "Since that summer before high school..." He was sobbing between his words.

 

It was her turn to be astounded.

 

"But you were all about studying back then and I was in no business to stop you from doing what you loved. So I kept it to myself and wrote you songs, walked you home, waited for you." He recalled bitterly.

 

"Then Joohyun came and you..." He raised his blurry gaze to meet Eunji's eyes. "You were basically setting me up with her. You didn't know how painful it was to know that it was okay with you that I got to be close to her when the girl I ever wanted wouldn't even look at me."

 

Eunji felt tears started to form around her eyes too. "Chanyeol..." 

 

"Then you left one day and I thought I won't be able to find you again. But I found you, Ji-ah. I found you again." Chanyeol murmured. Eunji wrapped her arms around him this time. His speaking ability had left him useless and so he just cried. They stayed like that for a time. 

 

"Ugh. You're such a baby." Eunji murmured as she held him in her arms while crying too. Her lips practically resting on his ear. 

 

"Am I your baby now?" He whispered in his low, deep voice. His hot breath on her bare neck sent shiver down her spine. 

 

"The , Chanyeol?" Eunji cursed and laughed at the same time.

 

"Cause you're my jagi now whether you like it or not." He said. Chanyeol hugged her tight as though afraid she might leave soon. "Can you do me a favour, jagi?"

 

"Yes?"

 

"Please be selfish and don't give me to anyone again." He pleaded and buried his face on her neck. "I don't want anyone else but you anyway."

 

She felt dangerously happy at his words. If this would be the closest feeling she would have to heaven, then she had no intention to let this go. Her arms wound around him tightly. "I won't."

 

He detached himself from her at once, still his hands were locked together at her back. "Another thing."

 

"What?" She asked irritated as he withdrew from their embrace. She still wanted his warmth pressing against her body.

 

"You mad?" He asked with the cutest pout she had seen from him. His hooded ears made him even cuter.

 

Ugh. Bless my soul. Eunji uttered looking up above before looking back to Chanyeol. "What do you want, my baby?"

 

"Can I kiss you?" He asked shyly, cheeks and ears flushed.

 

Eunji did not say a word and just stared down at his lips that looked pale and dry in the dark. She pulled his face and planted a kiss on his lips. Chanyeol tasted like hot chocolate, lips still stained with the drink he just had. Their lips were hesitantly pressed against each other at first.

 

Chanyeol waited for Eunji to pull back or break it off. But when she pushed back against him, Chanyeol acknowledged her approval.

 

Chanyeol deepened the kiss, opening his mouth softly against Eunji's and her lower lip. The action took her by surprise which eventually made her open her lips and allowed him inside. Her hands, as though moving at their own accord, travelled and rested to his hair. His were cupping her cheeks.

 

They were both panting when they withdrew from the longest kiss they both had.

 

"WOW." Chanyeol exclaimed unable to contain himself.

 

"Yeolie..." Eunji called, also astounded by the intensity of the physical and emotional activity that happened between them. "Can I ask you a favour this time?"

 

"What is it, jagi?" He looked over to meet her gaze.

 

"Let's do that again, baby."

 

"I thought you'd never ask." Chanyeol grinned before taking Eunji by her lips again.