018

We Are Just

 

THIRTY minutes was a lie though. He finished editing at around 5 in the afternoon which made Eunji slept and woke up at his warmth and smell. They met Sohye at 6 in the evening for dinner.

 

Sohye was very excited to meet Chanyeol again after a long time. She had come early to the grill house where they were meeting.

 

"WOAH, CHANYEOL!!!" Sohye exclaimed. "Is this for real? Are you actually here with us?"

 

"Hi Sohye. It's been a while." He greeted.

 

"Oh my god. It's him, Eunji!" Sohye screamed and Eunji nodded in approval. She enveloped Chanyeol in a hug. "Man, it had been so long."

 

"HAHAHA. You're still so funny, Sohye."

 

Sohye stopped and glared at him, "Just funny? Not pretty?"

 

Her remark cracked up Chanyeol even more that he started hitting Eunji's arms.

 

"Yah! Yeolmae! Stop it!" Eunji protested.

 

"Hahahahaha! Sohye is really funny." He laughed again.

 

"Let me tell you something funny, Park." Eunji started saying again.

 

Chanyeol wiped the tears that had formed around his eyes. "What?" He asked still smiling.

 

"You're treating us dinner tonight." Eunji muttered and Sohye started laughing this time.

 

The three high school friends spent the night talking about high school and how much their lives had change since. Chanyeol paid for the food as the girls refused to pay a penny for what they had ordered.

 

Since it was Sunday and the finals week would start tomorrow, they skipped the heavy drinks and just decided to find some cafe to eat something sweet after eating greasy meat. They chose a cafe near the bus station. The place was quite spacious and a live band was preparing for a performance.

 

Eunji, Sohye, and Chanyeol found themselves cozy in a table by the windows while waiting for their bubble tea and iced coffee drinks to arrive. Their conversation started with Sohye's course so it baffled Eunji how the it lead to...

 

"So Chanyeol, do you have any news about Joohyun?" Sohye finally dropped the question she had been dying to ask the whole night. Actually, it had been a question she had wanted to ask since Chanyeol came back to Eunji's life.

 

Eunji shot her a glare and kicked her under the table. She winced slightly but did not remove her gaze from Chanyeol.

 

"No, I haven't heard of her since high school." The guy casually answered.

 

Sohye smiled triumphantly. "By any chance, are you dating anyone right now? Or is anybody under the impression that they're in a relationship with you?" When she asked her last question she side-eyed Eunji meaningfully.

 

Chanyeol grinned, "Dating? I don't have time for that. My subjects are killing me this term."

 

Chanyeol was confirmed to be single. In almost the same time, the girls heaved a sigh of relief and Chanyeol was quick to notice that. "Oh, what is that about?" 

 

"Nothing, nothing." Sohye said. "Hahahaha! What a nice night, isn't it?" Then she started humming Can You Feel the Love Tonight happily which made Eunji roll her eyes.

 

Right then, the band who had finished setting up their equipments started performing their first song. When they finished, the members asked the small audience of the cafe if anybody wanted to perform for the second song.

 

Without hesitation, Sohye raised her hands up in the air, "HERE! RIGHT HERE!"

 

"We have a volunteer performer on that table." The vocalist announced.

 

"Woah. You singing Sohye?" Chanyeol asked and she was quick to shake her head.

 

"You're singing." Sohye replied. The vocalist on stage was asking the name of the performer and Sohye screamed Park Chanyeol's name.

 

"What the hell, Im Sohye?" He asked completely mortified.

 

"Come on, Chanyeol. Sing for us! I miss hearing you sing!" Sohye insisted.

 

Chanyeol would have protested some more but the vocalist who was announcing through the microphone had lead the small crowd into calling his name. In the end, Chanyeol found himself walking to the small makeshift stage of the cafe.

 

On the table were the girls stayed, Sohye could not contain herself.

 

"Holy , Eunji. I'm telling you and you have to believe me..." She seriously said. "That guy, that big giant right there, he still likes you." Sohye pushed.

 

"Ohmygod, Sohye. Let's quit this nonsense already. You have been insisting the same thing since high school."

 

"You always refuse to believe." Sohye remarked. "There's no Joohyun anymore, and he's not in a relationship. What's stopping you girl?"

 

Eunji would want to say something to stop Sohye from making these theories but Chanyeol had taken the stage already and the mere sight of him with a guitar in his hands and a big goofy smile in his face was enough to warm her heart.

 

"Hello," He greeted with his deep voice echoing in the corners of the cafe. "It's been a while since I last did something like this so I'm a little nervous... Anyway, the song I'll be playing is an original composition I had written in high school. I hope you enjoy this."

 

He started strumming the strings of the guitar the band lent him and Eunji could not take her eyes off him.

 

"I know this song." Sohye muttered beside her.

 

"Spring," Eunji uttered the song's title and nodded. "I know this too."

 

Her heart started beating fast. She knew the song he was about to sing quite well. She was with him when he wrote it. She was the first person to listen to this song when he finally found the confidence to sing this out loud. He used to perform this as his band's last song in their gigs way back in high school.

 

"At first, the moment when I met you

The memory of being out of breath

The fear that you might hear me

The fear that I'm discovered,

I was so anxious I remember that"

 

She thought of a young Chanyeol feeling all of these emotions for someone strong enough for him to write it and transform it into such a beautiful song.

 

For whom? For Joohyun. It was his song for Joohyun. Eunji recalled.

 

"Your voice was so good

I liked it even more when we walked together

Yes, I had the days

The days I loved you heartbreakingly"

Did you hurt that much to love her?

 

Eunji thought sadly. The sad acoustic sound of the guitar and his soothing voice made her feel even sadder.

 

". Sohye, I feel like crying," She mumbled tearing away her gaze from Chanyeol. "He wrote it for Joohyun."

 

Sohye stared at her for a moment, "Joohyun?"

 

Eunji nodded with a sad face. 

 

"He wrote it way before Joohyun came, remember? He wrote it in eleventh grade. Did you forget?" Sohye asked. "You told me, he wrote it with you. How come this song was written for Joohyun?" 

 

Eunji stopped and transferred her gaze back to Chanyeol. Sohye was right. The song had been written prior to Joohyun's arrival in his life. So to whom did he write this for, then?

 

She stared at the guy, heart pounding loud and fast. She listened to the song for the first time again. Is this what Sohye had been telling her all this time? That this song was Chanyeol's love confession to her?

 

"To me, you are my first love everyday

Like the snow in the spring,

I'm waiting for you

The day when my heart was pounding

The night when I was drunk

I feel strange

When it gets windy"

 

Chanyeol went on singing the song until it reached the last chorus, and he caught her gaze among the crowd. The world around them seemed to have stopped and Eunji could only see his face.

 

They looked at each other as he sang the last lines of the song. He spoke the words like it came from his heart and as though they were meant for her alone.

 

"To me, you are my first love everyday

Like the snow in the spring, I'm waiting for you

The day when I cried so sadly

The night when I was staggering

I feel strange

When it gets windy even now..."

 

The audience applauded for his heartfelt performance. Even Sohye swooned but Eunji remained steady at her seat, unable to believe that it took her too many of his performances to finally realize that she might be Chanyeol's Spring all along.

 

---

 

 

The thing about the hell week of the University also known as the finals exams week, it freed Eunji's mind from personal things that bothered her. The call to review and study her lessons for the test was stronger than to lurk and think about her heart problems at the moment.

 

So she took that as chance to stop thinking about Chanyeol and entertaining the feelings she had started to develop again around him. The same thing must be for the other guy for he had not pestered Eunji to hang out that particular week. They just meet on Monday for the exam on the lit class.

 

Hwang Dongryu, their student aid for Professor Kwon's class became their exam proctor. After everybody had passed their paper it was announced that Professor Kwon was planning to retire by the next term.

 

"Isn't he too young to retire?"One student asked.

 

"Give the man a break!" Another one answered.

 

Dongryu cleared his throat to gain authority over the noisy freshmen in the class. "The professor extends his gratitude to you for being one of his final classes."

 

Eunji found it sweet that the Professor had grown fond of their diverse class. Most students in this supposedly Lit Class offered to Business Majors were filled with students from Chemistry, Film and Engineering Course Programs.

 

"So in view of this, you guys are invited to a 2-days and a night trip to his family's hanok."

 

"WOAAAAH!" The kids marvelled at the news. "Is the trip for free?"

 

"Yes."

 

Everyone knew that the Professor came from the Kwon Family of the South. So they were all thrilled to experience what the southern part of the country had to offer.

 

"Anyways, if you guys are interested to come just tell me your confirmation. I'll be waiting until Friday this week so we can make arrangements over the weekend. The trip will probably be next week. Is everything clear?"

 

"Yes, sunbae-nim." The rest of the class replied.

 

When the student aid left, the Lit Idiots contemplated whether to join the outing or not. In the end, they agreed to just come and relax themselves from the emotionally and mentally draining week of their final exams.

 

"By the way, the mini film fest will be on Saturday. I hope you can come..." Chanyeol uttered as they went out of the Business Department building.

 

"Of course, hyung. We will be there." Eunwoo said. "I'm the lead guy after all." The he smiled that his eyes disappeared into a thin line.

 

Eunji placed a hand over her chest. "Aww. My dongsaeng is so cute." She blurted out admiring Eunwoo's handsome features.

 

"Cute my foot," Chanyeol retorted.

 

Eunji rolled her eyes and face the giant, "Did you invite Jinyoung too?"

 

He nodded his head. "He had been expressive of how much he hated me lately but I guess he will still come on Saturday."

 

"What time will it be on Saturday, hyung?" Sehun asked.

 

"I think it will start at 4 in the afternoon. Don't be late you guys. I'm so thrilled for you to see the film." Chanyeol excitedly muttered. The three nodded their heads in agreement. The four of them separated after that.

 

---

 

Saturday | Film Department Theatre

 

Students started gathering at the mini-theatre of the Film Department. Jinyoung, Sehun, Eunwoo, and Eunji sat somewhere in the middle of the theatre while the students whose films would be shown were in front. Chanyeol who was a mixture of excitement and anxiety greeted them at the hall way.

 

He looked decent in his suit. They were asked to dress formally for the event as though it really was a film fest. She stared at him for what seemed like a good five seconds. Had Jinyoung not nudged her to keep walking as she was blocking the guys' way, she would not have moved and spent more minutes admiring how good looking Chanyeol was.

 

"How many are the entries anyway? I only saw like 6 posters outside?" Eunji asked as Chanyeol walked them to their seats.

 

"Six... There were 5 groups and me."

 

"Excuse me?" Jinyoung asked. "Five groups and YOU?"

 

Chanyeol nodded.

 

"I thought this was an individual project?" Sehun asked.

 

He shook his head politely. "It was a group project I ended up doing individually."

 

His support system stared at him. They helped him all out because they thought it was like an individual project he had to work on by himself. And now he was telling them this?

 

"You mean, you had us do a project which you could have done with your classmates?" Eunwoo asked.

 

"What? I have trust issues but I trust you guys." He assured. "Anyway, I think the film was about to start. I'll see you later." Just like that he was quick to escape.

 

"I can't believe he conned us to do all of that." Jinyoung commented as they slumped on their seats. "I hate him." 

 

"YAH. Park Jinyoung, why do you always say you hate Chanyeol?" reprimanded Eunji. 

 

"Can't I, noona?" asked Jinyoung, eyes widening. "I'm here hating him for the balance of nature. You love him enough anyway." Jinyoung's words caused the other two guys to tease Eunji.

 

Apparently, just like Sohye, they had not stopped with their advocacy that they should just be together. She shook her head and ignored their teasing.

 

"Eunji?" A voice called from her left. Eunji looked over to find Jiyeon walking towards her.

 

"Jiyeon-ie!" She excitedly said and waved both of her hands. "My, I missed you! I'm sorry I had been busy over the term." She apologized as Jiyeon settled herself in an empty seat beside her.

 

"Me too," Jiyeon pouted. "What brings you here anyway?" She grinned sweetly.

 

"Oh, my friend directed one of the films that will be shown today."

 

"Is he a freshman?" Jiyeon asked.

 

Eunji nodded with a smile. "How about you?"

 

"Oh, we were asked to be the audience for this film fest. I thought I really needed to come because the freshman I am talking about? He's here!" Jiyeon excitedly said.

 

Eunji shook her head, "You still like him? It had been months."

 

"You have to see him for yourself, Eunji. And you'll tell me why I haven't gotten over my crush for him until now." She craned her neck to look for him. "I guess he had not arrived yet. Anyway," Her eyes darted to the guys sitting at Eunji's right. "You're with them?" Her eyes sparkled at the sight of the good looking guys beside Eunji.

 

"Oh right." Eunji remembered her dongsaengs. "Guys," She called them.

 

"Oh noona!" Jinyoung said waving his hand.

 

"Hi Jinyoung-ie!" Jiyeon greeted back.

 

"Of course you know Jinyoung." Eunji whispered. "This is Oh Sehun and Cha Eunwoo from the lit class I attended in the Business Department. Guys, this is Jiyeon my friend who is also a film major."

 

"Hi sunbae-nim..." The guys greeted her.

 

Jiyeon stared in awe at their handsome faces. "Well, hello, dear hoobaes~!" She said sweetly and leaned close to Eunji, "Yah, you should have told me you were classmates with these good looking kids. I should have re-enrolled that class."

 

Eunji laughed. Soon after the film fest started. They waited patiently until almost every group's film had been shown.

 

"Is his the last?" Jinyoung asked.

 

"Yeah, probably." Sehun answered.

 

Eunji quietly waited until the screen went blank again and a melodious background music started filling the room.

 

"Holy . This is his..." Jiyeon finally spoke beside her.

 

"His?" Eunji asked, reeling towards Jiyeon's direction. 

 

Jiyeon nodded, "The freshman I was talking about. My Romeo..."

 

Eunji's heart stopped beating for a moment. Jiyeon was not talking about Chanyeol, was she? She thought while she stared at her friend who was close enough to be a sister.

 

And when the screen burst into light and Eunwoo's storytelling began, Eunji's mind went blank.

 

"Oh!" Jiyeon exclaimed as Eunwoo's face registered on the screen. "It's him." She pointed at the guy sitting on Eunji's right. The next scene consisted of Eunji waking up next to Eunwoo. "Ohmygod!" She tried to squeal as silently as she could. "It's you, Eunji?!"

 

She did not answer and just stared on the screen. She decided to focus on the film which Chanyeol had directed. The transitions were smooth and the storytelling was presented nicely. The shots were excellent too as it captured the significant little moments Eunwoo's character had to experience. In general, they were satisfied with the output. Chanyeol did a great job.

 

The audience were awed at the revelation towards the end when Eunwoo was actually blind all along. There was a long silence until the credits rolled and everyone applauded after.

 

"My, that was beautiful." Eunwoo said.

 

"Hyung was amazing." Sehun commented.

 

"I can't believe you guys were his actors." Jiyeon said. "You all did great."

 

Eunji was also astounded by the film but her attention was immediately brought back to Jiyeon... Jiyeon who likes Chanyeol.

 

"Chanyeol, hyung!" Sehun called out.

 

Eunji looked up to find Chanyeol smiling proudly at them. The guys congratulated him until his gaze landed to Eunji who was just looking.

 

"Hi Chanyeol!" Jiyeon said beside her. "That's a beautiful concept. Congratulations!"

 

Eunji saw how his gaze diverted to Jiyeon. Her favourite person Jiyeon. She remembered back in high school. She remembered Joohyun. Will the same thing happen to her now?

 

"Hi, Jiyeon." Chanyeol greeted back. Eunji drifted he gaze back at her feet unsure of what to feel and what to think anymore.

 

"Ji-ah?" He called her out of her reverie.

 

"Oh?" She looked up to find all of them staring at her, as though they were waiting for something. She had spaced out so like a lost kid, she looked up to the closest person beside her. Jinyoung was tilting his head to Chanyeol's direction. "Umh. You did well, Yeolie." She said quietly.

 

"Thank you, Eunji-yah." He said smiling.

 

The three guys exchanged a meaningful look again as though to tease them but nobody spoke until Jiyeon interrupted.

 

"So where are you guys celebrating after this?"

 

Nobody answered the question exactly but somehow they all ended up in a grill house few blocks from the school. Chanyeol, the boys, Eunji and Jiyeon. Jiyeon eventually tagged along as it would be awkward not to invite her when she had been with them the whole evening.

 

Jiyeon was really warm and bubbly. The younger guys were fond of her already. Chanyeol interacted with them a lot too. Eunji tried to match their energy too and pretended everything was okay. After all, the night was for the celebration of Chanyeol's short film which managed to bag one of the awards that night.

 

The drinks were served later when the night grew deeper.

 

"Noona, do you want a drink?" Sehun asked ready to pour a glass to Eunji.

 

"Yes, please." Eunji readily extended her hand to reach for the glass Sehun was pouring when Chanyeol grabbed it first.

 

"Don't give her that, she did not even touch her food."

 

"Park Chanyeol." Eunji demanded.

 

"No." Chanyeol said firmly and drank the glass. "Eat your food first. Stop this habit of drinking with an empty stomach."

 

Eunji rolled her eyes and drank water instead. She wiped her lips and glared at Chanyeol who was busy stuffing his mouth with food. She then excused herself to go to the comfort room. After peeing, she went out of the cubicle and found Jiyeon retouching her makeup.

 

"Oh! Eunji-yah!" She met her gaze in the mirror and quickly turned to face her. "Ohmygoood!!!" She squealed giddily. "I can't believe you're actually friends with Chanyeol."

 

"Yeah, me too." She forced a smile.

 

"He always acted cold towards me so you two must be really close. It's the first time I saw him actually smile like... Genuinely." Jiyeon mused. "Eunji, this is so completely random but, since you two are close..." Oh dear God.

 

"Can you..." Jiyeon's eyes sparkled that made Eunji's heart sink.

 

Don't ask me for any help please. She desperately pleaded. The last thing she wanted again was to become a bridge again. The last time she did it caused her too much. She couldn't go through the same ordeal again.

 

"... help me with Chanyeol please?"

 

 

(Nacha's Note: We got two more chapters for this fic and an epilogue. I was too lazy to write song lyrics for Chanyeol's supposedly original song in this fic so I ended up using Epitone Project's First Love which has the same concept. I do not own the song. 😊)