009

We Are Just

 

When Eunji went to sleep that night, she found a message on her phone from Kyungsoo who was asking where she was. She had not gone back to the dinner after excusing herself.

 

She replied saying she felt sick and just headed back to her room. So the next day, during breakfast, Kyungsoo went to her table to check up on her.

 

"Do you feel okay, Eunji?" He asked.

 

Eunji stared. One thing she learned about life in her young age is not to mess with another woman's man. She did not want whatever happened two years ago to come and hunt her back now that she knew Kyungsoo is in a relationship. She bit her lip and nodded her head.

 

He waited some more for her to speak up before he placed a bottle of raisin tea in front of Eunji. "Drink this up for your hangover." He said shyly and went away.

 

"What the hell was that?" Jiyeon who was sitting beside her all this time, staring back and forth to them questioned. "Yah, did you hit your head somewhere?" She asked. "What's with the cold treatment towards Kyungsoo?"

 

Eunji wanted to tell everything to Jiyeon but she thought this would only complicate things so she chose not to say anything. "My head hurts." Despite hating on Kyungsoo for constantly raising her hopes up when he in fact had a girlfriend, Eunji still accepted his drink. She opened the bottle and drank her pride away. She passed it on to Jiyeon who also was sharing her fair share of a really bad hangover.

 

"Me too." Jiyeon complained. "I don't even remember how much I drank last night."

 

"Yeah, you're completely passed out." Eunji recalled. "If it weren't for Kyungsoo—" she stopped. I'm talking about him again. .

 

"Whoaaaa. You're with Kyungsoo last night?!" Jiyeon asked excitedly. "I love how a matchmaker I am even after being drunk." She exclaimed giddily.

 

"Yeah, he helped me drag you back to your bed." Eunji explained. "You should come up and thank him."

 

"Yes, let's see if I can hook you up with a date with him." Jiyeon said winking.

 

"Yah. Stop that." Eunji warned. "Just don't do things for us from now on."

 

"We'll see..." Jiyeon chirped happily. "I feel so positive right now, Eunji. Because last night!" She slammed the dining table with her fist. It caused other people to look at their way. "Last night, I found the one."

 

"Is that why you got drunk?"

 

She nodded. "Because, , he's a freshman."

 

Eunji stared. "What the hell, Jiyeon? Why are you molesting our juniors?"

 

"I haven't done anything with him yet though." Jiyeon said defensively. "Ughhh. If you've seen him performed in the talent competition he looked very hot. He sang this very good song and everyone was practically swooning over him. He was so beautiful, I'm thankful he enrolled in our department."

 

She smiled at her friend. "Good for you though, at least you'll have something good to look forward to."

 

Because clearly, Jung Eunji had just lost hers.

 

She did not look forward about attending classes with Kyungsoo anymore. She dreaded that Monday was fast approaching and that she had to be stuck with him for her 5 classes.

 

As if by the unspoken rule book, Kyungsoo sat beside her in all of those classes. It was a complete torture when Eunji felt so weak under his gaze. And he was incredibly nice that made it hard for Eunji to just hate and ignore him.

 

Besides, it wouldn't make sense if she started acting indifferent toward him after all these years of being together.

 

"Let's call it a day, class!" The professor announced as the class ended.

 

"Good bye, Professor Hwang!" The class said in unison.

 

It was almost lunch time. The students started their way out of the lecture hall.

 

"What are you doing this afternoon, Eunji-ie?" Kyungsoo asked as she put back her studynotes on her bag.

 

"I still have one class left." Eunji answered quickly. "In fact, I'll be heading there now. It's in the Business Department. So maybe, we can have lunch together next time?"

 

"Oh," Kyungsoo had asked her earlier to eat lunch with him but the idea of eating with a guy who already was taken did not sound appealing at all. She wondered if Kyungsoo's girlfriend was like that of she knew. The horrors of the past terrified her.

 

"I'll see you around, Jae." She said and started running on foot to the Business Department.

 

She grabbed some snacks in the vending machine at the lobby so that she wouldn't feel so hungry in the 90 minutes class talking about Korean Literature. There was no queue in the vending machine but the guys who were standing in front of her were taking so long.

 

The guys were tall and slim and they were just wearing some t-shirt and jeans but they looked like models who could sell these simple outfits really quick.

 

Both of them had milky white skin and from the side view looked very handsome. The guy on the left had jet black hair and a pointed nose. His eyes were almond shaped and very deep.

 

Overall he looked warm and nice. The guy on the right almost looked the same—black hair, pointed nose, small lips except that he wore a brooding expression on his face which made him look intimidating.

 

Jiyeon would go crazy over these guys. He liked very handsome men. And these two are just two of them. Eunji did not like handsome men but it was nice to have something good looking to stare at from time to time.

 

The guy with the brooding expression noticed Eunji gawking at them. Eunji had to check if drool had dropped from . She was very thankful that there was none. She straightened her back and lifted her chin.

 

"Do you guys have a problem over there?" She asked them.

 

The guy on the left turned to face her. He looked very handsome with his face up close.

 

"We don't have coins," He said weakly. Honorifics intact in his words.

 

"He forgot to change his paper bills." The other guy with an intimidating look explained. His voice was soft when he spoke so somehow, Eunji felt what a warm guy he actually was.

 

She marched in between the two guys, got some coins from her pocket and dropped them in the machine. "What do you want?"

 

They shyly pointed to the Chilsung in cans. Eunji pressed the Chilsung option and soon enough the cans dropped into the dispenser. "Kamsahamnida." The two spoke after she signalled them to get their drinks.

 

"What year are you guys anyway?" She asked when they stayed beside her while she was choosing her drink.

 

"We're freshmen."

 

Eunji punched the vending machine lightly that surprised the guys. "What a shame." She bent to get her drink, they were still there.

 

"How about you?" The intimidating guy asked.

 

"I'm a third year Chemistry major."

 

"Oohh." The two boys took a step back like they had realized they were in the wrong zone.

 

"A sunbae..." The other guy uttered.

 

"Noona.." The other one said.

 

Park Jinyoung always called her noona but somehow it did not flutter her heart the same way these handsome boys did.

 

"Noona!" She volunteered. "Call me noona. What's your class by the way?"

 

----

 

In the unexpected turn of events, Eunji found herself sitting in the same class with the two handsome engineering freshmen who were also cross enrolled in the Business Department. They somehow managed to introduce themselves to one another while waiting for the class to start.

 

"My name is Cha Eunwoo." The warmer guy said.

 

"I'm Oh Sehun." The one with cold expression uttered.

 

"I'm Jung Eunji." She said. "Are you guys twins? You looked very much alike."

 

Eunwoo laughed and said, "No, noona."

 

"Are you brothers then?"

 

Sehun shook his head, "We're friends."

 

"I see..." Eunji nodded. "Birds of the same feathers really flock together, huh? Hahaha! Ahhh. The weather is so nice today." She said dreamily. "I must have done something good. Is this the reward for all my heartbreaks?" She whispered.

 

Being seated with two gorgeous men in this boring additional class seemed not like a burden at all. Soon after, the lecture hall began to be filled by students.

 

The trio were seated at the top and so girls from below their tables started looking and turning their backs to get a better view of the beautiful sight of the boys.

 

Later on, the teacher came in and began calling names for the attendance. Eunji realized then that almost all of the seats were taken except that of the one beside her.

 

Thinking someone may come in late, she removed her bag from the seat and when she did, someone immediately occupied the seat. She paid her attention back to the guys on her left when the professor said, "Park Chanyeol? Are you here?"

 

"PRESENT!" The voice beside her spoke in acknowledgement.

 

Eunji instantly turned to find herself staring yet again to Chanyeol.

 

---

 

Chanyeol was taking the same class with her. What a fun semester this would be. Of course she was being sarcastic when she thought of that. The class had just finished and they did not talk much during class.

 

"Noona, we'll be heading now." Sehun announced.

 

"We'll see you again on Wednesday. Noona, annyeong!" Eunwoo said waving both hands.

 

"Bye, guys!" She uttered. As soon as they left, Chanyeol who was still sitting beside her spoke.

 

"Juniors who call their sunbae noona?" Chanyeol asked, a palm on his face. "I wonder who gave them that idea." His tone was teasing her.

 

"It's me! I told them to call me noona." She said proudly. "Do you know how nice it feels to have those good looking kids call you noona? I bet you know, everyone practically calls you oppa." She said rolling her eyes.

 

Chanyeol laughed. "The other day you were crying because a guy dumped you, this time you're getting all giddy with those kids. Seriously, Eunji?"

 

"I regret nothing." She uttered. "Aren't you leaving yet?"

 

"It's my only class today."

 

"Good for you then."

 

"Do you still have one?" He asked as they prepared to leave.

 

"It's my last too..." She mentioned.

 

"Should we get something good to drink?" Chanyeol offered. And was taken aback by his own words. Eunji stared. The atmosphere became uncomfortable. "That is if you don't have anything to do." Chanyeol started saying.

 

"I still have to drop by the student council office. I needed to submit the report on orientation last weekend." She said getting up from her seat. "Would you be fine to wait for me submit my paper?"

 

"Oh, I don't mind." He finished with a smile.