012

We Are Just

 

Chanyeol had this habit of asking nonstop if he wanted to know or get something. He was always so eager and so curious.

 

So when they left the cafe that afternoon without asking a word on what she was blabbing about when she woke up, Eunji was convinced that he did not hear her musing at all. If he actually did, he would probably not stop asking her what she meant.

 

They decided to eat in a barbeque restaurant few blocks from the coffee shop and Chanyeol was his usual self, talking so loud while they were walking. She paid for their food too because he wouldn’t stop telling her that he had been paying for their food most of the time. 

 

Saturday night filled the streets of Seodaemun District with vendors and people killing time. The two had to literally swim in the crowd to get past the busy street and reach the bus station. 

 

“Wow. There’s a lot of people tonight.” Eunji marvelled, tiptoeing and craning her neck to get a better view of the street.

 

Chanyeol cocked his head on her side and mumbled to hear ears, “I heard their celebrating some tourism stuff this weekend. I didn’t know it would be this big.” His voice was rasp from the slightly cold breeze of the evening sending chill down to Eunji’s spine. She landed her heel to the ground to keep distance from him.

 

“Shall we start walking?” Eunji asked.

 

Chanyeol fixed his cap over his head and nodded. Out of a sudden he reached for Eunji’s hand, as though it was the most natural thing to do in such a situation, wrapping his own warm big hand over it. 

 

“Come close.” He muttered pulling her close to him enough for her to catch the smell his cologne. “I might lose you in this crowd, Ji-ah.” 

 

“Oh,” Eunji uttered, unsure of what to say at first, and when they started walking, unsure of what to feel. She had difficulty breathing as they trod in the crowd of people with Chanyeol holding her tightly.

 

Somehow, she was thankful to have survived walking in the street with him. As soon as they reached the long throng of vendors and people, she quickly let go of his hand. Chanyeol seemed oblivious of how her insides had been screaming because of the weird sensations his proximity was giving her.

 

They reached the bus station in no time. The bus would arrive at exactly 9:00 in the evening so they opted to just wait. Chanyeol’s residence was out of Eunji’s way so he ended up accompanying her as she waited for her ride.

 

“My, do you remember we used to go home late back in high school?” Chanyeol reminisced as they sat on the station. “You were always sleeping on the way home and I would always draw stuff on your face.” 

 

Eunji smiled at the recall of the memory. “You were stupid even way back.”

 

Chanyeol laughed. “Then you would go to your academy and I would be practicing for the band... Wow. It felt so long ago.” His fingers traced the ripped portions of his jeans. 

 

Eunji raised her gaze unable to hold the question she had been meaning to ask him. “Why did you give up on music, Yeolmae?”

 

He slowly shook his head and met her stare, “I didn’t really give up on it. I’m taking film making to be a musical director, right?” He grinned, the corners of his lips perked up just like his ears sticking outside his cap. He was smiling but somehow, it didn’t reach his eyes.

 

“You were so passionate about it. I don’t understand.”

 

“I think I lost it somewhere.”

 

“What?”

 

“My crazy passion for that thing.” He replied with a shy smile. “I guess I was too young and ambitious before to think that I could make it big in music. I’ve probably outgrown that dream to be a popular musician.”

 

Eunji did not interrupt so he continued talking.

 

“Sure I’ve lost the crazy, but I’m still very much passionate about this. So...” He turned to face her. “Don’t worry about me, Ji-ah!” He said and put his hand over her head, ruffling her hair lightly.

 

“I’m not worried about you.” She said. 

 

“Yes, you are!” He started laughing as he dropped his hand over her head. “Ahh. If I get rich when I become a music director, I’m buying you lots and lots of meat, Eunji.”

 

“Yah! Don’t raise my hope way too high. You may get rich one day but I doubt if you will buy me lots of meat.” She shook her head. “Given how cheap you are.”

 

“Ugh!” Chanyeol uttered, eyes grew wide and lips pulled apart like a goldfish. “You’re calling me a cheapskate?!” He dramatically placed a hand over his nape. “How dare you, Ji-ah? Woaaah!”

 

“Maybe you should try acting, too. You’re getting very dramatic these days.” Eunji suggested before standing up. “My bus is here. Bye!”

 

He stood up too and walk her to the sidewalk, “See you!”

 

Eunji smiled and nodded her head before boarding the bus. 

 

--- 

 

It was Monday again and Kyungsoo was officially back at school. Their classmates wished him to recover quickly. Just like the usual, he stayed with Eunji with the two classes they had on that day.

 

She promised herself not to avoid Kyungsoo anymore. All she ever had to do was to treat him like a regular schoolmate. No romantic feelings attached and just as platonic as they ought to be. 

 

“Eunji, you still have one class right?”

 

She nodded putting back her notes to her bag. “Yes, at 1:30.”

 

“Should we go eat something before you go to your class?” He asked sheepishly. Right, then his phone beeped. It was probably a message. From her girlfriend, Eunji thought. He was smiling ear to ear as he put his phone down. “What do you say?” He continued asking her. 

 

How can he reply his girl and stare at me like this? She asked herself mentally before zipping her bag. “Umh. I’ll probably skip lunch, Kyungsoo-ah. I still have to review, we’re having a quiz later.”

 

“Oh.” He uttered. “Is that so?”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s fine. Maybe we can do it some other time.”

 

Eunji just smiled and headed for the exit of the lecture hall. “Maybe not...” She sighed as she made her way out.

 

She headed straight to the Business Department and bought some snacks from the vending machine. After securing her food and the Chilsung cans for his dongsaengs, she headed straight to the lecture hall. She was glad that she came early because she would have to choose a seat on their row, somewhere not beside Chanyeol.

 

She excitedly hopped down the desks but to her surprise she found Chanyeol already sleeping in the chairs. The four chairs in their row were drawn together in a straight line so that he could lay on them. Unfortunately, his built was too big for those four chairs so a good portion of his legs were just hanging.

 

“What the—“ Eunji started cursing but it seemed like Chanyeol was not sleeping at all because at the sound of her voice he kicked his long limbs up the air and sat up straight. 

 

“Ji-ah?” He asked, pulling the beanie he used as an eye mask to confirm his query. He was wearing jeans and a black shirt making his skin looked milky white. The corners of his lips started lifting when he realized it was Eunji who just came in.

 

“Move over, .” She ordered kicking the foot of his chair, her eyes looking away, feeling afraid that she might be staring at his face too long than she intended to be.

 

Chanyeol pouted. “I don’t want to. I have grown a deep fondness over this seat. It has a good view from the front...” He used both of his hands to gesture the lecture area of the Professor. “On this side,” He pointed to where Eunji’s dongsaengs were seated. “And well...” He turned to face Eunji giving her a look from head to toe. He nodded his head slightly, his face distorted a little.” On this side probably too.”

 

“I don’t want to be seated next to you.” Eunji said firmly. “You’re the worst seatmate in this class.”

 

“Come on, Ji-ah! It’s just me.” Chanyeol said jokingly and pulled her bag to the seat, dragging Eunji beside him. “Just stay here, I don’t mind.” He mumbled winking down at her.

 

Eunji stared again as her chest slightly thumped at his closeness. Thankfully she was conscious enough to look away before he noticed. She tamed her heart before it went out of control. She hastily slammed the snacks she purchased from the vending machine.

 

“WOAAAAH!” Chanyeol exclaimed, eyes widening and mouth agaped. “Are these for me?” His eyes sparkled, feeling so touched that Eunji remembered to bring him food.

 

“The are you saying? It’s mine!” Eunji grabbed the rice. “I haven’t eaten anything yet, I came straight from class.”

 

Chanyeol laid his head on the table facing Eunji who was unwrapping the samgak kimbap. “I haven’t eaten anything since breakfast...” He looked sadly at Eunji and placed a hand over his stomach.

 

He had probably mastered the art of using his puppy eyes to get practically whatever he wanted. It worked well with Eunji. She gave up as soon as his big doe eyes bore holes into her existence. 

 

“Haishhh!” She clicked her tongue before pushing the samgak kimbap she just unwrapped into Chanyeol’s mouth. “Go eat.”

 

“NOMASLKAHJENOM!” Chanyeol garbled with his mouth full of the food he was eating.

 

She couldn’t understand what he was saying but he sure looked very happy to have eaten anything today. It didn’t take him a minute to finish his food. A grain of rice stuck at the corner of his upper lip. Look at this man who can’t even eat his food properly.

 

Shaking her head, Eunji instinctively reached to wipe it off his face. “What are you? A baby?” She asked sounding pissed.

 

He smiled. “Can I have this too?” He asked hopefully, pointing at the other kimbap.

 

“No.” Eunji snapped. “You’re not the only one who’s hungry here, boy.” She announced before diving for the other samgak kimbap. 

 

“Ji-ah, do you hate your classmates so much?” Chanyeol asked curiously as she finished eating.

 

She raised an eyebrow, “Why do you say?”

 

“You always looked pissed each time you come from your Chemistry classes.” He voiced out his observation. She always looked pissed each time she went to their Lit Class.

 

“Do I?” She asked, taken aback by his remark.

 

His head bobbed up and down. 

 

“Oh, I don’t notice.”

 

“You always looked like you’re ready to kill someone when you come to this class.” He added to his long observation. The tone of his voice sounded like he was waiting for you to tell your story. “So?”

 

Should I really tell him about this? Eunji considered. The truth was, she never told anyone yet about this thing with Kyungsoo. Not Sohye, not Jiyeon, literally no one. Maybe things were more complicated inside her head because she had to keep all of them bottled up inside her. And here was Chanyeol, asking her to share her mind. 

 

He would probably about this nonstop but he was a guy so probably he could give Eunji a perspective of Kyungsoo. She opted to use the asking-for-a-friend card.

 

She clicked her tongue and started, “You know, I have these friends in my classes. They’re relationship right now bothers me a lot because I’m quite close with the girl. They’re classmates since first year.”

 

And she narrated about her friend and his guy classmate had developed over the years. How the people at the college were always teasing them together. Eunji went on with the qualities about of the guy that girl came to like. 

 

“Does she like him?”

 

“What?” She laughed nervously. “I mean, yeah. Like a small crush...”

 

Chanyeol nodded his head, “Does the guy feel the same?”

 

“For a time, she thought he was until recently she overheard a phone conversation about the guy and his girlfriend. And somehow, from there everything he did to her did not feel right anymore. He’s still the usual things, you know and it terrifies her that her girlfriend might know about their closeness. She didn’t want to cause any trouble to them so she opted to avoid the guy, but he wouldn’t back away. It’s driving her nuts, honestly.”

 

Chanyeol put both hands on his head. “My mind hurts. They’re so complicated!”

 

Eunji laughed and he grinned.

 

“But what if she’s just wrong about thinking that way?” Chanyeol asked. “You said she overheard a conversation of him and this girlfriend. Did he tell her he has a girlfriend?”

 

“Umh, no. Nobody knows in our class.”

 

“Then he probably doesn’t have any. Who knows? He might just be talking to a dog.”

 

“A dog? Seriously?”

 

“I call Toben-ah my love.” He yelled defensively.

 

Eunji rolled her eyes.

 

“I think your friend has to set things straight.”

 

Chanyeol suggested.

 

“How?”

 

“Tell her to ask him. Ask him if the girlfriend is real, ask him why he had to confuse her with all these actions... I don’t know. If things don’t turn out the way she wanted to, at least she tried, right?” He stared straight into her eyes and she did the same.

 

His words felt like he was talking about an entirely different thing. They went on staring at each other until their silence was interrupted by the opening of the door. 

 

“Hello hyung and noona!” Both Sehun and Eunwoo greeted. 

 

Both were quick to look away. Their younger brothers exchanged a confused look, the awkward tension between the early birds of the class hurled at them.

 

“What’s with this awkwardness?” Eunwoo asked outloud, unable to contain his curiosity.

 

The two pretended not to hear his question. 

 

“Oh, Sehunie and Eunwoo. Hi!” Chanyeol uttered, sounding like he was losing words over his tongue. His eyes landed on the drinks Eunji brought. “Here’s your drink.”

 

“Did you buy this for us hyung?” Eunwoo asked, feeling touched at the generosity of his classmate.

 

Chanyeol shook his head, “No. Why would I buy your drink? I can’t even buy my own. Eunji brought them for you. Say thank you to your noona.” He ordered.

 

The guys politely followed.

 

“Noona, if I get a girlfriend soon I want her to be like you.” Sehun said randomly after opening his can. “You’re the best, noona!” He said giving her a thumbs up before drinking.

 

Eunji tucked the hairstrands behind her ear and smiled giddily. “Ohmygod, Sehunnie. If you don’t find a girlfriend soon it’s fine. I can be your girlfriend, really. I don’t mind.” She joked which made the boys laugh except Chanyeol who scowled. Eunji stuck her tongue at him and he rolled his eyes in return focusing his attention back to Sehun.

 

“Yah! Oh Sehun!”

 

“Yes, hyung?”

 

“You must concentrate your energy to your studies. Dating can wait. Do you understand?” He murmured like a wise man. Sehun nodded and just went on drinking.

 

“What a sound advice,” Eunji commented shaking her head. “Coming from you, Chanyeol. Just wow.” She remarked sarcastically whilst rolling her eyes. It was Chanyeol’s turn to stick his tongue at her.

 

 

---- 

 

More than a month had passed already since the first term of the academic year began. The Chemistry Department Lower Council had finally picked a date for their welcome dinner for the freshmen.

 

Jung Eunji found herself yet again in the middle of a busy week having to confirm the venue and running errands for the event.

 

She managed to attend her classes religiously but had refused to hang out with her groupmates in the Korean Lit Class especially Chanyeol. She promised to start working on their requirement as soon as everything with the acquaintance dinner was over.

 

 

Lit Idiots

 

Sehun: When shall we start working on the project, noona?

Eunji: After my event is over.

Eunwoo: When will that be, noona? On Saturday?

Eunji: Yes, most probably.

Chanyeol: I think Toben might be sick on Saturday.

Eunwoo: Are you a psychic, hyung? Do you see the future?

Chanyeol: I have this gut feeling he’ll be sick. 

Chanyeol: I’m sorry. I don’t think I can come over and help you guys.

Eunji: Okay. I’ll erase your name from the group then.

Chanyeol: Jung Eunji

Chanyeol: What time shall we meet on Saturday?


---
 

7:00 PM | Geudaljung Grill House

 

Eunji was lucky. She booked the Grill House for their acquaintance dinner quite early.

 

Apparently, the other spacious grill houses around the area had been crowded by other departments who were also holding their acquaintance dinner. Chanyeol and the dongsaengs mentioned about attending their respective dinners too. 

 

As the night progressed, students started coming over and soon after the Grill House was filled already by the Chemistry Major students. Eunji sat among her classmates with some freshmen and sophomores. It was the only table which had remaining vacant seats.

 

“Hi guys! Can I join you?” 

 

“Eunji-yah!” Shin Saemi, her senior squealed and removed the bag on the empty chair beside here. Eunji sat beside her. “You’ve chosen a great place, Eunji! The event will sure be a success! Good job!” Saemi winked giving her a thumbs up.

 

Eunji smiled shyly. “Thanks, sunbae.”

 

“Sunbae,”  A wide-eyed first year sitting beside her interrupted.

 

“Yes?”

 

“I’m Han Haejoo.” She introduced herself, smiling proudly. “You entertained me during the orientation...” Eunji looked confused so the first year tried harder. “At the registration.”

 

Eunji had entertained a lot of people that day so she really could not remember the name Han Haejoo. She stared at the freshmen who looked excited and very nervous too. She recognized the look on her face. The anxiety only one could get after mustering courage to talk to someone. So despite her failure to recollect, Eunji said something like, “Oh yes. I was at the registration committee.”

 

Haejoo smiled, feeling relieved that she was remembered. “Did you organize all of these?”

 

“Umh... No. The others helped a lot too.”

 

“You’re so cool, sunbae. I want to be just like you.”

 

“Ah hahaha.” Eunji laughed feeling flustered.

 

“Do you want me to pour you a drink?”

 

She nodded, “Sure, sure. Go ahead.”

 

As Haejoo did that, Do Kyungsoo entered the hall garnering recognition from Byun Hwiyoung who was hosting the event. “OOOOH. Kyungsoo is here! Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome our charismatic representative to the Student Council, Do Kyungsoo!”

 

Everybody clapped in recognition. While he gained giggling from the first years and laughter from his contemporaries, Eunji remained quiet on her seat. What was he doing here?

 

“Good evening, everyone! I’m sorry I’m late.”

 

“It’s okay, Kyungsoo.” Hwiyoung announced. “By the way, he just had surgery so don’t stress him out. And not to break your hearts, but he is already taken. He is off the market, ladies.” He teased and everyone practically turned towards Eunji’s direction. The was the official/unofficial half of the Chemistry Department’s OTP. The giggly freshmen girls cooed in disappointment over Kyungsoo's unavailability. 

 

The mention of him being already taken had Eunji reaching for the half filled shot glass of soju poured by Haejoo. She took everything in just a gulp. Her gaze went back to look at Kyungsoo who was smiling at what Hwiyoung had said. Then he his eyes searched the room until it landed to hers, he smiled. Her insides warmed up. Eunji was not sure if the reaction was from him or the alcohol she just took in.

 

Kyungsoo started walking to the table where she was seated. She saw him in her peripheral vision.

 

“Haejoo, give me another glass.”

 

The freshmen nodded and poured her one just as she wished. She took in the alcohol and as she slammed the glass on the table, Saemi had scooted over to the empty seat on her left giving Kyungsoo the space she just vacated.

 

Just like that, he again was seated next to her.

 

“Hi Eunji.”

 

She merely nodded and took the alcohol from Haejoo to pour herself one. 

 

--- 

 

The night deepened. While the others enjoyed all the unlimited meat for the grill, Eunji indulged herself into a soju drinking spree. Not eating anything at all prior to drinking, made her very much intoxicated in just two bottles of soju.

 

Still, drinking was easier than having to muse herself talking with Kyungsoo all night. He was pretty much sober as he was not allowed to drink and eat too much as well. He spent the night joking and talking with the people on their table.

 

Kyungsoo had asked her at some point during the dinner if she would like to eat something. She said she was okay and just went on drinking. By the time Haejoo, her supportive hoobae, offered her third bottle, she had felt her body hot all over. 

 

“Excuse me, I’ll just go to the comfort room.” She muttered to the table. She noticed that Kyungsoo was not on his seat anymore. She would have asked Saemi on his whereabouts but stopped herself. She just quietly walked to the comfort room and peed. She managed to wash her face too because she was starting to feel dizzy. 

 

Instead of going back to their table, she went out of the Grill House. The cold evening breeze greeted her as she stepped out. Wrapping her arms around her, she sat by the sidewalk beside the Grill House to sober herself up. Staying in front where her co-majors could see her would not be a good option as she regarded.

 

“, my head hurts.” She cursed, feeling all the alcohol kicking in her system.  

 

She fished her phone from the pockets of her jeans and saw the exchanges in their groupchat. Eunwoo and Sehun looked happy in their acquaintance dinner while Chanyeol had been complaining about annoying seniors.  Eunji wondered if anybody of them were as drunk as she was on this early hour of the evening. 

 

Her vision started going blurry so she just started punching random prompts on her phone to exit the conversation. 

 

“Hello, Eunji?” 

 

 She heard the voice from her phone. It was Chanyeol’s.

 

“Yeolie? Why are you calling?” She asked innocently.

 

“You were the one who called me.” She could imagine his thick eyebrows furrowed at her question. “Are you drunk?” He asked, recognizing her way of talking when she got intoxicated.

 

“Yes.” She laughed. “I am! Wow, you finally got something right in your life.”

 

She wasn’t sure if she heard him cursing on the other line. The only thing she heard clearly was, “Where are you?”

 

“At the sidewalk.”

 

“WHY ARE YOU IN THE SIDEWALK?” He asked, almost yelling.

 

“I can hear you.” She hissed crossly. “Why are you yelling at me?”

 

Chanyeol sighed. “Why are you in the sidewalk? Seriously?”

 

“To get fresh air, I’m feeling hot all over.”

 

“Where are you exactly?” There was a sense of urgency and anger in his deep voice. 

 

And despite her own protest, Eunji submissively uttered, “At Gaeduljung Grill House.”

 

He ended the call right away. “Did he just hang up? That .” Eunji whispered as she realized Chanyeol had left their conversation.

 

She sighed and shook her head. As soon as silence come settling in again, she heard a voice of a man coming from the restaurant’s front. 

 

“I’m fine, I didn’t drink... I promise.”

 

She hated how even at her drunken state, she had to recall that beautiful voice of his. Her heart ached a little. The last time she overheard his conversation, she got drunk after. This time, she was drunk and then overheard another conversation with his girlfriend. 

 

“I will go home after this.”

 

Eunji bit her lip trying not to make a sound. Her vision grew more blurry.

 

“You should sleep. I’ll see you the soonest.”

 

Her cheeks started to dampen. Wiping it away, she realized that she had been crying. 

 

“Good night.” He said. The phone call seemed to have ended already but the pain in her chest lingered. She couldn’t take it any longer. With her wobbly knees, she managed to stand up. The alcohol had given her courage. She remembered Chanyeol telling her to ask him. This would be the perfect opportunity.

 

“Yah, Do Kyungsoo!” She called out in frustration.  As soon as she did, Kyungsoo walked to the side of the Grill House where she was. 

 

“Eunji-yah?” He asked in shock to find Eunji there. His face looked genuinely concerned. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Why do you always take her phone calls when I’m around?” She asked.

 

“What?” Kyungsoo had confusion all over his face.

 

 Eunji smirked, “Is it fun to toy with me, Kyungsoo-yah?” She questioned, tears started running down her face again. 

 

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, Eunji? Come, let’s go back inside.” He tried reaching for her hand but she vehemently took a step backward. 

 

“No. Go back inside and tell them that you already have a girlfriend.” Eunji muttered. “That you’re in a relationship...” Saying the words right in his face had her crying again. “So everybody would stop teasing us together, and I can finally stop over thinking about us. You can stop doing these things to me too, acting all concerned when you actually feel don’t. Kyungsoo-yah, be nice and tell them the truth... Please.”

 

“Eunji—“ He tried cutting her off.

 

“I can’t go on doing this. Please man up so I can finally have my peace back.” She whispered in a low voice. Her words were soon drowned by her sobs. She covered her face with her hands and she started crying. 

 

Kyungsoo took a step forward to get a hold of her to calm her down. Eunji kept on crying, covering her face when she felt a hand grabbed her by the wrist. The hand that took her came from behind, she recalled Kyungsoo standing in front of her. She wiped her tears with her free hand and look up to find a pissed Park Chanyeol.

 

“Y-Yeolie...” She uttered. 

 

“Why are you not answering my calls?” He asked sounding angry. Somehow, she felt relieved to find him there, his big hand holding her wrist. But what was he doing there in the first place?

 

“Who are you?” Kyungsoo asked too, it was the first time he saw the tall guy. 

 

“You need not to know,” Chanyeol just threw him a dirty glare and pulled Eunji close to him, “Let’s go home, Eunji.” 

 

--- 

 

The sun was shining through the curtains of the room that blinded Eunji. Her head was throbbing with pain, so instead of opening her eyes to be fully awake she shut them close and pulled the thick blanket over her head. She remained at her fetal position and snuggled the pillow she grabbed beside her. 

 

Is this a dream? Why is my bed comfortable?

 

She had always complained about the mattress at her room in the dorm. Was this because she was so drank she was able to sleep soundly? She was feeling very warm too. She inhaled deeply and caught a whiff of a man’s scent. She knew this scent so well but her mind was too tired to think until...

 

Is this Chanyeol’s?!

 

As soon as the name registered, she bolted up and sat straight. The room was clean and tidy. The bed was spacious and an ocean of relief waved over her as she realized that she was alone. She was alone in a room she did not recognize.

 

Where the am I?

 

Her heart and mind began to panic as she saw the alarm clock sitting by the bed side table. It said 9:00 AM. That explained the radiant sun outside. She was getting really nervous when she kicked the blanket and realized that she was not wearing her clothes from yesterday. She was wearing some shorts she did not own and a black hoodie that was bigger than her frame, this hem of its sleeves practically covering her fingertips.

 

“M-my clothes?” She whimpered and looked around inside the room to find the same jeans, coat and shirt from yesterday. She screamed at the top of her lungs and as she did, the door sprang open, revealing a running Park Chanyeol in a black shirt and track pants.

 

“Ji-ah!” He came running to the bed, sitting beside her. “What’s wrong?”

 

Who made a person looked ravishing in the morning with these clothes on? Eunji asked but stopped herself as she still was very much confused of this set-up. She looked like she was about to cry. 

 

“What’s wrong?” Chanyeol asked worriedly.

 

She put both arms on her chest, “You jerk. WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME?!”

 

Chanyeol stared at her confusedly until everything sank in. He stood up and stayed away from the bed, his figure towering over Eunji. Then, he began laughing hysterically. It was Eunji’s turn to be confused. His voice laughing and his continuous clapping filled the room, echoing at its corners. 

 

Eunji was so pissed at Chanyeol and herself for not remembering a single thing about yesternight so she started crying. When he heard her sobbing, that was the only time Chanyeol stopped. 

 

“Hey, why are you crying??” He went back to sit beside her in his bed. 

 

“I’m gonna kill you.” She threatened, punched him in the forearm.

 

Chanyeol was pretty much alert that morning so he was able to dodge her hit and ending up wrapping her small fist with his hand. His touch this morning brought a flurry of butterflies in Eunji’s stomach so she quickly pulled her hand away. 

 

He clicked his tongue, “Stop crying. You know how ugly you are when you cry.”

 

She dried her tears and sniffed. She did not speak after so Chanyeol took it as an opportunity to explain. “I didn’t touch you, it was the lady downstairs who helped you dressed up. I swear to God, I didn’t touch you. Why would I even do that?”

 

“You kissed me in high school randomly.” She blurted out but regretted as soon as her words were voiced out.

 

Even Chanyeol was surprised at her words, his ears started to turn red, his face looking complete flustered at the memory they both recalled at the same moment. “Y-YOU!” He stammered. “That was just a mistake. It’s not counted.”

 

Even so, the remark that it was just a mistake  brought a pang of pain in Eunji’s chest. She sighed deeply. “Then what is this all about?!” She asked flailing the loose sleeves of his hoodie that felt warm in her shoulders down to her arms.

 

“Don’t you remember what happened yesterday night?” He asked seriously this time. The look on his face suggested that she did something unimaginable.

 

“D-did I do something stupid?”

 

“Oh boy,” Chanyeol uttered and sighed.

 

They stayed in his bed as Chanyeol told her what happened. He narrated how she called him sounding so drunk and he had the urge to find her quickly because she tended to sleep anywhere when she passed out. 

 

“I found you in the Grill House you told me about. When I found you, you were talking to this guy cursing him out and saying nasty things.”

 

Eunji recalled everything he was talking about even the guy he was talking about. “Kyungsoo...” She placed both hands over . She remembered telling him off about the girlfriend and raising her hopes up.

 

“Yeah, I think that’s the name.” Chanyeol agreed while nodding his head. “You were demanding to tell the truth...”

 

“Oh my god!”

 

“Was he the guy you were talking about last time?” Chanyeol asked curiously.

 

Eunji was dumbfounded. She did not speak up and that served as a confirmation to Chanyeol already.

 

“Damn it!”He cursed. “You should have told me it was you. God, it was crazy to see you there making a fool out of yourself.”

 

“Chanyeol-ie!!!!” She cried his name in defeat. She started sobbing at the embarrassment that even Chanyeol witnessed himself.

 

“What do you like about him, anyway?” He asked again. “He isn’t even that great. He’s small and he stares like he could kill people. Do you like that kind of man?”

 

She stopped sobbing and hit his arm. “You’re a jerk. How can you judge me with my man preference?”

 

“Aish! Just get over him.” He muttered. “Stop crying. Go out and let’s eat.”  He kicked his leg out of the bed and went out of the room. 

 

Eunji fixed his bed before making her way out of Chanyeol’s room. The place he was renting was spacious. She stepped out to find a neat living room with a couch and TV hanging by the wall. There were three other doors apart from that of Chanyeol’s. She marched up to the dining area where Chanyeol was putting plates on the table. 

 

“Did you cook these?” She asked not believing what her eyes were seeing.

 

“I learned cooking in the military.”

 

“Woah, Yeolie. That’s new.” She said taking at seat on the dining table with six chairs. “Who owns this place by the way?”

 

“My senior in the military, he lives with his older sister downstairs,” He muttered. “They had put up the second floor of their house as bed spaces for lease to students.”

 

“Really?” She asked eyes looking around to find traces where his roommates might be. Did she really sleep in a house of boys? “How many of you are living here?”

 

“Three...”

 

“I see four doors. One room is not occupied?”

 

“Yeah,” Chanyeol uttered nodding his head. The doorbell of the house started ringing. “Yah, Eunji! Would you be so kind to open the door please? It must be the water delivery.”

 

“Oh, okay.” She replied and marched to the door. She held the knob and pushed it outward and to her surprise she saw two tall figures looking down at her. She felt her heart jumped to when she realized who these people are. 

 

“N-noona...” Sehun stammered.

 

“What are you doing here?” Eunwoo uttered in disbelief to find Eunji in Chanyeol’s home wearing his hoodie at this early hour of Saturday. They just stared and looked at each other.

 

 “Holy .” She whispered under her breath. “I can...” She started saying but she was interrupted by another noise from the inside of the house.

 

“Hyung, I’m leaving!” 

 

“Have breakfast first.”

 

“I’m just gonna grab something on the way to school, I’m running late.”

 

She heard footsteps running towards the door. Eunji felt flustered. It was probably his roommate. Now this guy had to see her too. What impression would she leave to them? She was losing her mind.

 

“Eunji-yah!” Chanyeol yelled from the kitchen. “What’s taking you so long?!”

 

Her knuckles turned white, still not letting go of the knob. Both Sehun and Eunwoo remained standing outside the door, still looking completely shocked. She turned to face the roommate whom she felt was just standing behind her. But she wished she had not, because her gaze was met by a familiar pair of eyes.

 

“NOONA?!” Park Jinyoung screamed behind her.