014

We Are Just

 

If there was one thing that Park Chanyeol hated the most, it would probably be losing. He was very competitive in almost everything; thus, he always gave his best. 

 

“Hyung, I got this!” Sehun screamed loudly, eyes not drifting away from his mobile a smile forming on his lips smelling victory in the air. 

 

Eunwoo who had long lost peered through Sehun’s game. “Dude, use your weapons!” 

 

The younger ones were working together to defeat the opponent. Chanyeol on the other hand was very quiet and focused. His fingertips started getting cold as Sehun went to launch his attacks. He hissed when he got hit by one of his bullets, diminishing his life by 25 points.

 

The three of them were at the lobby of the Business Department waiting for their Korean lit class to start. The lecture hall was still occupied as they happened to come in quite early on this busy Monday.

 

While waiting, they decided to play a game. It took Chanyeol a while to convince his dongsaengs to play with him since they already gave up considering the many times he defeated them. Today was a special game as they made a bet.

 

Whoever loses the game will have to call Eunji sunbae. It was Chanyeol’s idea primarily who thought that it would be fun to have Eunji’s dongsaengs call her sunbae and not noona which she liked to be addressed. Now that the game was almost over and he was going downhill, Chanyeol thought that it was actually a bad idea.

 

The guys beside him were already celebrating. 

 

His eyes glanced to his right and saw a glimpse of Eunji walking towards them. “Oh! It’s Eunji!” He called.

 

Both guys paused at the mention of their elder sister’s name. Sehun lifted his face to look for her, “NOONA!” He even said waving a hand. 

 

And Chanyeol took that opportunity to attack his character. By the time Sehun brought his eyes back to his game, Chanyeol had killed him.

 

Master has defeated Lord Hun. Game over.” The voice over of the game announced signalling the end of their combat.

 

“NO! NOOOO!!!” Sehun wailed in defeat. 

 

“HAAAAA!” Chanyeol sighed, feeling relieved of not having to call Eunji his sunbae. “That was fun, you guys!” He flashed his wolfish smile at them.

 

Eunwoo glared at him, “Hyung, you cheated.” 

 

“Yah! Eunwoo-yah, your words are too harsh. Is it my fault that Sehun stopped playing to wave at his sunbae?” He emphasized the last word to remind them of their bet.

 

Sehun complained and felt like crying, Eunwoo had to comfort him that it was okay.

 

Chanyeol smiled triumphantly beside the two guys. Right then, Eunji stopped in front of them. “Hi guys!”

 

“Hi Ji-ah!” The giant replied and nudged at the young ones beside him. 

 

Eunwoo glared at him one more time before facing her. “Hi sunbae.”

 

Chanyeol laughed while Eunji wondered at why Eunwoo was suddenly calling her sunbae. “Are you guys okay?” Her eyes moved over to Sehun who was sulking at the corner of the bench. “Sehunnie, are you okay?”

 

“Yes, noo—“

 

“Yah! Oh Sehun!” Chanyeol bellowed.

 

“—sunbae.” Sehun finished half-heartedly, biting his lip. The giant suppressed his laughter this time, feeling guilty that Sehun might burst into tears when he would start laughing.

 

Eunji smiled at how cute Sehun who looked like he was sulking but also wondered why they were calling her sunbae. “Why are you calling me sunbae so suddenly?” 

 

“Oh. We made a bet that whoever loses will call you sunbae.” Chanyeol explained confidently. “These guys lost so from now on, you will be their sunbae.” He smirked after giving his most logical explanation of the day.

 

“You jerk.” Eunji whispered, glaring at him.

 

“You’re welcome.” He replied sweetly.

 

At that point, a voice cleared his throat catching the attention of the guys. They saw a man standing beside Eunji.

 

The young ones straightened their back at the commanding stance of the new comer. Contrary to their reaction, Chanyeol moved his gaze from the man back to Eunji and eyed her as if to say, “Seriously?”

 

Eunji took a step back ignoring their reactions. “By the way, guys this is Do Kyungsoo. My classmate.” She introduced.

 

The man smiled at them, “Hi. You may call me Kyungsoo.”

 

“And Kyungsoo, these are my classmates in the lit class.” Eunji started saying. “This one’s Cha Eunwoo and this is Oh Sehun.” She pointed at the guys.

 

“Hello sunbae.” They both greeted.

 

Eunji transferred her gaze to Chanyeol who was waiting to be introduced. “This one is Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol waited for her to add something to her introduction but she did not. So he went on acknowledging the guy, “We met in the Grill House.” He said randomly.

 

“Oh, right. I’m sorry I did not introduce myself back then.” Kyungsoo uttered.

 

Chanyeol shook his head. “It’s okay. I was too busy saving someone from embarrassing herself further.” He explained  happily which made Eunji kicked his shin. He winced in pain.

 

Eunji went on dismissing Kyungsoo before further complications arise from Chanyeol’s big mouth. “Kyungsoo-yah, thanks for walking me here.”

 

“Yeah, sure. Anytime.” Kyungsoo smiled, eyes forming in a thin curved line. “I’ll see you tomorrow. I’m heading up first. Bye guys.”

 

As soon as he left, Chanyeol charged Eunji. “Seriously? Did you ask him to walk you here?”

 

“He volunteered. You idiot.”

 

“Wow. Your pain tolerance must be really high.” He remarked. “You even have time to spend with him after he—“ Before he could even say another word. Eunji covered his mouth.

 

“That’s too much word for you today, Yeolie.” She warned whispering so that her dongsaengs would not hear. “One more word and you’re out of my group.”

 

She was recently named as the group leader. Gratefully, she accepted the responsibility as she saw it as her only way to keep the boys at the bay. The attempt was successful as Chanyeol shut his mouth and just pouted in compliance.

 

Eunji invited Eunwoo and Sehun to go to the lecture hall. Chanyeol walked behind the trio. His gaze followed her every moment as she tried to console the sulking boys, he realized that despite his competitive nature he always seemed to lose to Eunji. 

 

 

---- 

 

 

On the Wednesday of the same week, Eunji was excited to exit her Korean Lit Class as she was set to claim her allowance at the admin.

 

“You going somewhere?” Chanyeol asked as he noticed how Eunji looked like she was in a hurry. “Ohmygod. Are you meeting him again?”

 

“What the hell, Chanyeol?” The class was just dismissed and she was preparing to leave. “I’m gonna get my allowance today.” Eunji explained. “You know, the allowance they give to student representatives...”

 

“Oooh.” He cooed. “Then you can treat me to dinner now!” He exclaimed excitedly.

 

She stared at him. “Why would I treat you to dinner?”

 

“You promised to buy me food last time.”  He said it way too loud that the other members overheard. 

 

“Woah. Are you guys going out today, sunbae?” Eunwoo asked, his tone was teasing. 

 

“Like a date?” Sehun seconded. The two made a high five under their desk.

 

“No.” They both replied. But the kids went on smiling at them. 

 

“Why would I go out with him? I’m not a loser.” Eunji defended sounding grossed with the idea.

 

Chanyeol fixed his gaze at her, “And going out with Kyungsoo makes you a winner?”  he sounded pissed, eyes narrowing at her. 

 

The mention of Kyungsoo in front of the dongsaengs had been frequent nowadays. They remained unaware of the long history between their elder sister and their new acquaintance; but dragging Kyungsoo’s name in their conversations had sparked up interest among the guys.

 

“Kyungsoo hyung seemed like a decent man.” Sehun commented. “I like him for sunbae.”

 

“Decent man?” Chanyeol retorted. “What kind of decent man would stare at you like he could kill?”

 

“Me too. He’s a yes for sunbae.” Eunwoo agreed giving Eunji a thumbs up. “You have a great taste in man.”

 

Eunji smiled at their appreciation.  Chanyeol was the only one sulking, “Great taste, my .” He commented again.

 

“Hyung-nim,” Sehun finally called out.

 

“What?”

 

 “You can stop being jealous, okay?” He suggested which made Chanyeol shut up for a few seconds. 

 

After Sehun’s words registered , “J-jealous?!” He stammered.

 

“HAHAHAHA!” Eunji laughed out loud at their exchanges. Chanyeol looked obviously defeated as it took him a while to give his rebuttal.

 

When he started talking about his defense, Eunji turned to the other guys and asked sweetly, “What do you want to eat for dinner, my dongsaengs?”

 

--- 

 

So after Eunji had claimed her allowance, the four of them decided to find a place to eat.

 

“What do you guys want to eat anyway?” Eunji asked. “Eunwoo-yah?”

 

“Anything is fine with me, noona.” Eunwoo replied with a smile. 

 

“Noona?” Chanyeol who was walking behind them scoffed. “Are you forgetting something, Eunwoo-yah?”

 

“Stop nagging him.” Eunji retorted. “Your agreement is only applicable inside the lecture hall, they can call me noona outside.”

 

“Yah! The agreement clearly states that they should address you properly in front of our classmates.” Chanyeol corrected.

 

“Exactly, and we don’t have our classmates around.” Eunji replied. “How about you, Sehunnie? Do you want to eat anything in particular?”

 

He shook his head, “No, noona. You just decide.”

 

“How about some noodles?”

 

“Hmmm. I think I like to eat some Japanese food.” Sehun wondered out loud.

 

“Then Japanese food, it shall be.” Eunji finished with a smile.

 

They roamed downtown to find a Japanese restaurant so they could eat. Eunji paid for their food.

 

After eating, they decided to call it a night. Since the Engineering students still had to buy stuff for their drafting subject, Eunwoo and Sehun bade good bye to them for they still needed to go to the mall.

 

Somehow, the Eunji and Chanyeol found themselves again together after a long day. They were walking the opposite way where their dongsaengs had gone. 

 

“How come you never asked me what I like to eat?” He murmured gloomily as they started walking. 

 

She turned to face him, “What’s this?”

 

“You’re supposed to be treating me and you did not ask me what I liked to eat.” Chanyeol answered. “That’s it.”

 

“Don’t you like Japanese food?” She asked.

 

“I like it.” Chanyeol replied.

 

“Then what’s the problem?” Eunji asked, meeting his stare. Chanyeol had stopped walking too.

 

They stood in the middle of that street staring at each other. Eunji was wondering why Chanyeol was acting in such way and him, unsure of what to tell her because the truth was he never really had the problem with the food. 

 

His problem was with the fact that Eunji had to spend much when she was just supposed to be treating him and not the three of them.

 

He felt guilty eating tonight knowing that her allowance was supposed to be spent for her rent or her stuff. He gazed at her softy before bringing his stare at his feet. “Forget it.”

 

Slowly, he felt a drop of water fell over his cheeks. The drop became two, three, four and suddenly it became hard for him to count. 

 

“Ohmygod! It’s raining!” Eunji screamed in recognition of the rain that fallen. She quickly used her bag to cover her head. Chanyeol still looked dazed so she had to drag him by the wrist to run for shed. They held hands as they sprinted their way to the bus station.

 

By the time they came reached the station, the rain bad stopped but they were soaking wet. 

 

“Was just that passing shower?” Eunji asked, shivering at the coldness that enveloped her. 

 

“Ugh. My clothes are wet!” The giant complained and removed his jacket. 

 

“You’re not the only one, you know.” Eunji replied. He raised his gaze to find her wiping the wet white shirt she was wearing. It had turned see through from his vantage point, the thin fabric sticking to her skin. 

 

Chanyeol’s face flushed and immediately looked away only to find another man in the station looking at Eunji. Without hesitation, he slid his jacket over her shoulders. “Wear this, quick.” 

 

“Thanks.” She replied gratefully. Although, his jacket was too big for her it made her warm. Her nose started to get red.

 

Chanyeol stood close in front of Eunji and  went on zipping the jacket up until her neck. She seemed taken aback of their closeness but she did not falter, instead she looked up to met his eyes. Suddenly, Chanyeol was reminded of the conversation they were having earlier. 

 

“Ji-ah...”

 

“Hmmm...”

 

 He opened his mouth to explain about the food when out of the sudden, Eunji sneezed right into his face.

 

“HOLY—“ He wiped his mouth, trying to get rid of her virus. 

 

“Sorry, Yeolie.” She apologized before sneezing again. 

 

Chanyeol took a step back completely disgusted at how she just transferred her germs at him. Like a child he whined, “YAH! Jung Eunji, if I ever catch cold you have to take responsibility!!!”

 

“Everyone catches cold once in a while. You will not die from that.” Eunji explained before releasing another mind-blowing sneeze.

 

Chanyeol glared at her, eyes looking as though he was about to cry, “What if I do?”

 

“I’ll pray for your soul.” Eunji assured him. She looked over to find that her bus had arrived, “I’m heading now. Bye, Yeolie!” She quickly hopped to the bus before the giant could think of anything else to get back at her.

 

The next day, Park Chanyeol woke up with a bad headache and a bad case of cold.