015

We Are Just

 

CHANYEOL stared groggily at their breakfast table, eyes puffed and nose red. His throat was sore and his head was dizzy. He could feel his nasal cavity tickling until the feeling went up to his nostrils.

 

“ACHOOO!” He sneezed and reached for the box of Kleenex on his side. 

 

Jinyoung stared at him pathetically. “Hyung, are you sure you’re coming to school today? You looked like a zombie.” He uttered as he scratched his head.

 

Chanyeol nodded his head as he stuffed a rolled tissue in his nose. “Have to,” His nasally voice replied. “Got two major subjects today.”

 

Jinyoung winced at his elder brother. It was the first time the guy actually got sick. He went home soaking wet last night and he seemed well going to his bed. But this morning when he woke up, he started sneezing really bad and was complaining about his headache. Chanyeol looked like he was in a bad condition and it made Jinyoung  worried if he would survive by himself until weekend.

 

 “Minseok hyung is not coming home again and I’m going home tonight since I don’t have class tomorrow... Should I tell Eunji noona about your condition?” The younger guy asked. “Maybe she can look over you?”

 

“Why does she have to do that? I’m not a baby.” Chanyeol massaged his temples and the bridge of his nose. “No need, Jinyoung-ah. I’ll be fine by tomorrow.” He assured.

 

Jinyoung stared at him at his stubborn elder brother and sighed.

 

 

--- 

 

The only day Jung Eunji looked forward the whole week was Friday. Not because it was her last school day of the week but also the day she would be having her first sleepover to work on a requirement.

 

The sad reality about her boring college life was, she never experienced sleeping over because first, she never slacked and did all her requirements on time; and, second, she had no one to do it with.

 

Thjs term she was blessed to have countless paperworks that needed for such an activity and she also had someone to do it with.

 

“KYUNGSOO!” She squealed his name as their Professor left the lecture hall. “Are you sure they’ll let us stay in the office tonight?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded. “I’ve talked to Pres already. Everything is set, Eunji.” They would be studying in the student council office tonight. Since he could not go to her place and neither she to his, they decided to spend the night in the student council office.

 

She smiled dreamily. “Gosh. It’s my first time to have a sleep over.”

 

“Are you that excited?”

 

“Yes!”

 

Kyungsoo laughed. “Then I’ll see you later. I still have to get some stuff in the dorm.”

 

Eunji nodded and smiled at him. “Bye, Kyung!”

 

From the University, she decided to drop by the nearest convenience store to buy some snacks for the night. She had some chips and sodas. When she passed by the stall that contained samgak kimbap she paused and thought of Chanyeol.

 

Speaking of whom, she had not heard anything from him yet since Wednesday. It was not like she was expecting him to message her from time to time but he was also silent in their group chat. Only the dongsaengs and Eunji were sharing exchanges in the chatroom. She noted mentally to give him a ring once she went home.

 

So in memory of Chanyeol, she decided to take some kimbap for her snacks tonight. After paying, she headed back to her dorm to prepare her notes. She had just packed her stuff when she saw Jinyoung calling her.

 

“Hello, Jinyoung-ah.” 

 

“Hello, noona. Are you busy tonight?” 

 

“Hmm. A bit.” Eunji answered making sure not to disclose tonight’s sleepover with Kyungsoo to Jinyoung who might get the wrong idea again. “Why do you ask?”

 

“I’m actually at home now and will be back by tomorrow in the dorm after my class.” Jinyoung explained. “Chanyeol hyung is alone in the dorm.” His voice was laced with caution and concern.

 

Eunji stopped pulling the straps of her knapsack at the mention of Chanyeol being alone in the dorm. “What’s the matter?”

 

“He caught cold the other day and he hasn’t been well since yesterday. Minseok hyung is not also coming home tonight so he’s probably alone by himself. He isn’t answering my calls too, I cannot reach him through his mobile so...” Jinyoung paused, trying to gather his thoughts as to how he could ask Eunji to check on the sick person in the dorm. “So...”

 

“I see. I’ll sort things out, Jinyoung-ah. Don’t worry.”

 

She could hear his sigh on the other line. “Thank you, noona.”

 

“Say hi to Aunt for me.”

 

“I will.”

 

They ended the phone call after. She recalled Chanyeol threatening her about taking responsibility if he ever got sick. A cold wave rushed over her as she remembered him telling her what if he died from cold. Eunji panicked at the possibility and started punching numbers of her phone nervously.

 

The receiver picked up the call in the third ring. She pressed her phone on her ear and spoke, “Hello, Kyungsoo-yah? We’re having a slight change of plan tonight.”

 

--- 

 

Chanyeol opened his eyes and realized that it was already dark outside. He was not sure whether he had been sleeping for a hours or days already. All that he knew was, he did not come to school on Friday because he really was not feeling well. It so happened that his housemates were not at home and so he was all by himself.

 

He shivered under his blanket-- his body’s reaction with the contact to the fabric was new. It was always warm and cozy but now it was a bit freezing and lacking. His eyes scanned his room which looked like a mess. A heap of used tissue was on the floor and what used to be the warm glass of water that Jinyoung left had probably cooled down. The books he was reading three nights ago were sprawled on the study table.

 

His eyes were too tired to stare in the chaotic state of his room so he shut them off again. He had sore throat and it seemed like every part of his body was in pain. He had not eaten anything the whole day so when his stomach started to grumble out of hunger, the poor guy tried to gather his strength to cook some food.

 

But his body was too weak for any strenuous or small activities so he opted to just lay in his bed. I’ll just wait for the grim reaper to take me. He chose to just sleep to forget about all the pain and his hungry stomach when he heard soft knocks on the door of his room.

 

His first thought was, Jinyoung would be in his home and it was followed by the resounding reminder of his brain that Minseok was not coming home too. His head hurt a lot that he gave up trying to think about who the new comer was. The most logical option would be Jinyoung though.

 

He shifted his weight to face the door. The knocks stopped and as he used all his strength to change his position, he opened his eyes and saw that his door had been opened and a head was poking.

 

Chanyeol was not wearing his glasses so he could not decipher who the person was but as soon as her voice registered to his sense of hearing, he felt relieve.

 

“Are you still alive?”

 

“Ji-ah...” He said weakly. “Why are you here?”

 

Eunji walked up to his bed and sat, “Jinyoung called me, he said you’re dying.” It was a joke but coming from her it sounded serious. “He gave me the password too so don’t go on telling me that I am trespassing.”

 

“Am I dying?” Chanyeol asked overdramatically. He heaved a long sigh and placed a hand over his chest. “I’m dying.” 

 

“It was a joke.” Eunji laughed and put a hand on his shoulder. “Gosh, you’re burning.”

 

He closed his eyes and said softly, “Am I candle that is slowly dying?”

 

“What the hell, Chanyeol? You’re not dying.” Eunji regretted about making that joke. He was obviously out of his mind, saying words like this. After all, she was at fault as to how he acquired this.  She shook her head guiltily at Chanyeol who looked like he was about to cry. “Your temperature needs to cool down. Have you eaten anything?”

 

His stomach roared like a thunder, “Haven’t eaten anything the whole day.” He managed to say, pouting. Him speaking in incomplete sentences reminded Eunji of a child. 

 

“You need to eat first and take your meds.” Eunji suggested before getting up.

 

“Are you cooking?” He asked weakly.

 

She faced him back again, “Who else would do that?”

 

A picture of horror flashed on Chanyeol’s face. “Then I’m not eating. I’ll just die here on this bed.” His hand traveled through the sheets of his bed.

 

“Did you just insult my cooking?” She asked completely shocked at his remark. “In that weak state you still manage to criticize me?” She scoffed. “Park Chanyeol, you really are something.”

 

“I didn’t say that, Ji-ah.” His eyes sparkled with mischief despite the dim surrounding.

 

“Then die alone, dummy.” Eunji rolled her eyes and left him behind. Despite his aching throat, Chanyeol managed to laugh. 

 

He must have taken a nap because when he woke up, the pile of the tissues on the floor had been cleaned and his books had been stacked neatly on his table. Eunji was sitting beside him again, fixing the cold compress over his forehead.

 

Eunji immediately recognized that he was conscious already. “Oy Chanyeol.”

 

“Hmm.” He moaned.

 

“Your forehead is quite wide, you know.” She remarked before putting back the compress.

 

“I am wise you know.” Chanyeol retorted. “Have you cooked already?”

 

“I didn’t.”

 

Chanyeol stared at her heartbreakingly. “Why?”

 

“I had someone do it for me.” She said with a big smile. “KYUNGSOO-YAH!!!” She screamed. 

 

“Kyungsoo?” Chanyeol repeated.

 

A few moments later, Do Kyungsoo came inside his room holding a tray with a bowl of porridge and a glass of water. “Here’s the food, Eunji. Is he awake?” Kyungsoo asked as he placed the tray on the table beside Chanyeol’s bed.

 

Eunji nodded, “Thanks, Kyung.” She averted her gaze back to Chanyeol who still looked very weak but was glaring at Kyungsoo. 

 

“Hi Chanyeol.” He greeted but only received another scary glare from the guy.

 

Eunji faced Chanyeol and mouthed for him to stop glaring at her classmate. Chanyeol’s eyelids fluttered and just chose to shut them close.

 

“Sorry, Kyungsoo. He just lost his ability to speak but he says thanks.” Eunji murmured like an interpreter of the disabled guy. “I’ll just feed him.”

 

Kyungsoo nodded. “I’m just outside if you need anything.”

 

When the other guy left, Chanyeol spoke. “Why is he here?”

 

Eunji stirred the bowl to cool it down. “We’re supposed to have a sleepover tonight for a requirement we’re working on. But since I have to take care of a sick giant tonight, I had no choice but to bring him here too. Say ahh.”

 

Chanyeol pouted at the idea. “Sleep over?”

 

“Yes. In the student council office supposedly but had to transfer here because I need to look after you,” Eunji replied. “Now open your mouth.”  She pushed the tip of the spoon in his mouth that had Chanyeol take the food she was feeding him. “Kyungsoo, cooks well.” She murmured proudly.

 

He swallowed the food that tasted bland in his tongue. “It tastes bland to me.” He commented.

 

“Of course, you lost your senses somewhere while you were sleeping.” Eunji remarked sarcastically. She forced another spoonful into his mouth, “You need to eat before you take your meds.” 

 

And Chanyeol complied like the follower that he never actually was.  

 

After Eunji had fed him, she gave him his meds and tucked him in his bed. She went out of his room to do her paper with Kyungsoo who just had finished washing the dishes. 

 

“I’m sorry about dragging you here, Kyung.” Eunji apologized. “Good thing, he was sleeping now.”

 

“No, it’s fine. Chanyeol’s your friend so he’s my friend too.”

 

Isn’t he the cutest? Eunji couldn’t help but admire the guy. “I really thought he was dying so I had to move our sleep over here so I can check up on him.”

 

“You say Jinyoung stays here too?”

 

Eunji nodded. “But he went home last night and so he’s all alone by himself.”

 

“I see,” Kyungsoo nodded his head. “Should we start working now?”

 

“Yes.” Eunji smiled and opened her laptop. 

 

They were working for more than an hour already when Chanyeol started screaming inside his room. Eunji ran barefooted back to his room. “Why?”

 

“Ji-ah.” He called, almost teary-eyed. He looked like he was in a lot of pain. 

 

“What’s wrong?” She asked softly, voice full of concern. 

 

“My chest hurts.” He complained. Eunji was not sure whether he was just being his dramatic self or if it was real. 

 

“What kind of pain?” She inquired leaning closer. 

 

“My heart palpitates. It’s starting to hurt.” He placed both of his hands on his chest now. The look on his face told her that he was not joking.

 

Eunji turned pale at his recount, “Gosh! Do I need to bring you in the hospital?”

 

“I don’t want to be in a hospital.” He replied stubbornly.

 

“Then what shall I do?” She was panicking. She had not undergone any basic first aid so the situation was really getting on her nerves. 

 

“Tell Kyungsoo to buy me meds for this.” Chanyeol suggested. “For heartburn or something, I don’t know... Just tell him to go.”

 

“You stay still here.” Eunji ordered before going out of his room. She headed in the living room where Kyungsoo was. 

 

“Is he okay?” The guy asked.

 

“He’s complaining about chest pain. I’m buying him med.” Eunji announced as she wore her jacket.

 

“At this hour?” Kyungsoo asked. “ I’ll just buy them for you.”

 

“No,” Eunji murmured. “You just had surgery and you shouldn’t be in this stressful situation. There’s a pharmacy by the street’s corner.” She ran to the door and wore her shoes, Kyungsoo followed behind her. 

 

“Are you sure about this, Eunji-yah?”

 

She nodded her head, “Would you be kind to check on him while I’m away? I promise to go back really quick.”

 

Kyungsoo nodded, “Take care.”

 

“Thanks, Kyung.” Eunji said before opening the door and sprinting outside to get to the pharmacy as quickly as she could.

 

---- 

 

Chanyeol was not joking when he said he was experiencing chest pain. He was speaking the truth. His chest hurt and o be relieved of the pain, he asked Eunji to tell Kyungsoo to buy him some medicine.

 

He was not sure of the cause of his pain at first but as he waited for Eunji to  comeback in his room, he thought about it a lot.

 

When Eunji tucked him to bed earlier tonight, he did not sleep. His mind ran in an endless loop thinking about Eunji and Kyungsoo and what they were doing in his living room. He hated that Kyungsoo was in his house and that Eunji was spending time with him while working on their project. He also hated that he was sick and was too weak to move in his bed but his mind was so active at over thinking. Most especially, he hated why he was feeling this way.

 

Soon after, his hatred was translated to chest pain caused by the palpitation of his heart at the idea of Eunji and Kyungsoo together.

 

He turned his back at his room’s door to face his study table. As he found himself, feeling sleepy again he heard the twisting of the door knob and the creaking sound of the door as it was pushed open. Eunji did not speak and he did not move as well. He could not face her at this rate so he remained facing the study table.

 

He flushed in the dimly-lit room as he thought of what to tell Eunji. “Ji-ah, I think I know why I’m experiencing this pain.”

 

She normally did not respond to her so he went on. She was probably going to laugh and about this the whole day but he needed to speak his mind for him to be able to sleep soundly again.

 

“It’s because I hate a lot of things too much.” He confessed. “And right now, what I hate the most is...” He hesitated before speaking, “..is the idea of you and Kyungsoo together. I don’t know why but I just don’t like it.” He bit his lip and waited for Eunji to laugh at his admission but he waited and she did not respond. 

 

“Ji-ah?” He called and turned to face her only to find himself staring back at the wondering eyes of Do Kyungsoo. 

 

Holy .

 

He closed his eyes shut and pretended to be asleep.

 

--- 

 

When Eunji went back after buying some medicine for heartburn, Chanyeol was already sleeping peacefully and Kyungsoo had finished his part on the paper. He had become quiet which she totally understood because he was probably just as tired as she was.

 

She worked on her paper that night and when she finished, they slept. Even it was not the sleep over, Eunji expected she was glad that they were able to accomplish something. 

 

Eunji stayed on the couch, and Kyungsoo on the floor. Thankfully, Chanyeol did not wake them up anymore so both were able to rest well.

 

 

On Saturday morning, after they had finished their paper and Chanyeol was still sleeping... Eunji walked Kyungsoo to the bus station so he could go home. She did not join him yet as she was still waiting for Jinyoung to come home. 

 

She decided that Kyungsoo probably had lack of sleep so he looked as distraught as he did before they slept last night. They walked quietly and stopped by the station.

 

“Kyungsoo, you okay?” She finally asked unable to contain her curiosity at his strange demeanor.

 

For the first time, Kyungsoo stared at her in the eyes. “Eunji, I’m sorry.” The look on his face and the sound of his voice sounded so serious.

 

For a moment, Eunji thought Chanyeol had betrayed her by telling Kyungsoo that she used to have a crush on him but he remembered that he was so sickly yesternight so she ended up dropping the idea. 

 

“Why are you sorry?” She questioned.

 

“I have no intention to ruin whatever relationship you have with Chanyeol.” Kyungsoo started blabbering. “You are my favourite person and I only want your happiness. So please don’t misinterpret.”

 

Eunji’s jaw dropped at his sudden confession. “Excuse me—whut?”

 

Kyungsoo looked like he wanted to explain further but he also wanted to escape the situation really quick so when the bus stopped right in front of him, he boarded waving good bye at Eunji. She was left by the sidewalk wondering what their exchange had been about.

 

She marched back to the house. Chanyeol was already strong enough to drag himself to the dining table. He was eating the bowl of porridge that was left from Kyungsoo’s cooking the other night. He still looked sickly but somehow, stronger than how he used to be 24 hours ago.

 

She sat facing the guy who was busy eating his food.

 

“Chanyeol.” Eunji called.

 

“Hmm.”  He groaned, his deep voice cracking in the process.

 

The guy almost choked on his spoon when she dropped the question, “What happened when I was away last night?”

 

He began coughing at her sudden question. His cheeks and the tips of his ears were turning red.

 

“Hey, eat slowly!” Eunji warned and gave him some water. Chanyeol gulped the glass’s content.

 

“Nothing,” Chanyeol assured. 

 

“Are you sure? Why did Kyungsoo look like he was unwell?” Her eyes narrowed at him suspiciously.

 

He swallowed before asking her, “What did he tell you?”

 

Eunji shook her head, “He didn’t tell me anything.”

 

Her response made Chanyeol utter a sigh of relief. “Then it’s nothing.” He started coughing again.

 

“Aish. You’re so weak. Does your chest still hurt? If it does, your meds are in your room.”

 

“Thanks, Ji-ah.” Chanyeol managed to deliver a small smile. 

 

“Go finish your food and don’t forget to take your medicine.” Eunji murmured. “I’ll treat you to dinner when you get well.”

 

Chanyeol stopped putting the spoon in his mouth, “You said what?”

 

“Have you lost your hearing this time around?” Eunji asked pathetically. “I said, get well and I’ll treat you to dinner.”

 

“Are you asking me on a date?" He asked hopefully. 

 

" The are you saying?"

 

Chanyeol giggled." For free?”

 

“Yah! What do you take me for?”

 

Chanyeol laughed nervously, “Okay. Okay. I get it. No taking back now, okay?”

 

Eunji smiled too seeing him way too happy at her news. “No take backs,” she seconded.