Not as beautiful as you

When the Sun shines

 The following week has started bland and uneventful. It's always been how it was before, school, library, home, but somehow, Yongsun felt like the days were dragging when she was spending it like she used to.  For the first two days of the week, Yongsun didn't saw Byul. She would go to Byul's secret place during breaks, hoping to see her, but she wasn't there.

Wednesday morning Yongsun bugged Hyejin through a call to pick her up to go to school. Yongsun greeted her with the sweetest smile she could muster, but Hyejin just rolled her eyes at her. She just disturbed her lovely morning. She deserves a hundred roll eyes from her.

"I just don't understand why you have to bother my needed sleep when you can just ask people at home to drive you," Hyejin said as she was removing her seatbelt. They were already at the school parking lot.

"I don't want to. And isn't it good that you are here a little bit earlier than your supposed to?" Yongsun said, pouting. Hyejin has been nagging her from the moment she picked her up 'till they reached school, and it seemed that she is still not done yet. Basing on the glare she was giving her, she is not going to stop soon. Yongsun is slowly regretting disturbing the lion's slumber.

They went out of the car with Hyejin huffing and mumbling. Yongsun was walking beside her, pouting, when they heard two familiar voices and a very familiar giggle Hyejin recently discovered and secretly loved.

They turned their head in unison and saw Wheein wrapped around Byul's arm, giggling at something Byul whispered to her while they walked towards the main building. They were so absorbed with their antics that they didn't notice Hyejin and Yongsun near them.

"They have their own world," Hyejin said as she side-eyed Yongsun who's pout was now replaced by a frown.

She momentarily forgot about Byul's potential girlfriend. She thought about Friday night and how Byul was so attentive and gentle. She can't help but wonder how she is as a romantic partner.

"Hey!" Hyejin greeted them when they are near enough to them.

The two snapped their heads towards their direction, and Hyejin met with Wheein's eyes. The girl smiled shyly at her making Hyejin grin.

"Hello." Wheein greeted back with a slight wave.

Byul still has her arms over Wheein's shoulder as she meets Yongsun's eye for a silent greeting. But the girl subtly glared at her, making her confused. She catches her, taking a quick glance towards her arms, so Byul quickly puts it down.

They stopped in front of them as Wheein and Hyejin continued to look at each other while Yongsun and Byul stood up awkwardly. Byul put her hands in her pocket as she sighed. She was pissed at Yongsun's attitude towards her. It really confuses her how the woman is sweet for a moment and then be upset next.

"Wheeinie… You'll be going to be late for class." She reminded although they have a reasonable amount of time before the class starts.

"Huh?" Wheein looked at her a little bit confused, but as soon as she saw the look on Byul's face, she quickly understood.

She looked at Hyejin and smiled again. "We’re going first. See yah.” She spared a small smile towards Yongsun, who just nods.

“It’s a shame we won’t be able to catch up,” Hyejin said in disappointment. She was a little bit bitter with the fact that if Yongsun wasn’t exuding such a negative vibe, they might want to go in and walk together.

Wheein gave her a sweet smile as she hooks her arms around Byul’s out of instinct. “Maybe some other time.”

They started walking, whispering to each other when Hyejin speaks again.

“How about we have lunch together?” She just can’t let the opportunity to get close to Wheein slip.

Byul looked at Wheein, who was already looking at her, pouting with puppy eyes that would always work on melting Byul.

Yongsun and Hyejin watched how Wheein melted Byul with one single look. Byul sighed as she gave Wheein a slight nod prompting the smaller girl to give her a bright, huge smile which Byul shyly returned.

Hyejin heard a sigh beside her and looked at Yongsun, who watched the other two with an unreadable expression.

“Hyejin,” Wheein called out. “We’ll see you guys later at lunch?”

Hyejin loved the sound of her name in Wheein’s voice. “Okay.”

The two turned to go while Yongsun and Hyejin were left watching them.

“I won’t join you for lunch.”

Hyejin turned at Yongsun with raised eyebrows. “Why? Don’t tell me you're jealous.”

Yongsun gasp and profusely blushed. “I am not. Why would I be?”

Hyejin rolled her eyes at her. “Okay. But you should come. It would be very impolite of you not to go when we are the one who invited them.”

“We? It’s YOU who invited them.” Yongsun said, pointing at her.

Hyejin faced her and crossed her arms. “Why don’t you want to come? There is no reason for you not to come unless….”

“Unless what?” Yongsun raised her eyebrows at her.

“Unless you hate Wheein, or you have a crush on Byul, or maybe both,” Hyejin said with a smug grin.

Yongsun gaped at her. “No!”

She said it, her high girly voice making Hyejin laugh and causing Yongsun to blush out of embarrassment.

“Okay fine. I’ll go.” She resigned as she rolled her eyes at her.

“Great!” Hyejin said, still chuckling.

Yongsun huffed as she walked past Hyejin to the main building. Wheein seems to be a nice girl, so why does she feel so awkward and uncomfortable whenever Byul was with her. She knows she didn’t hate her, but she can’t deny the fact that she also doesn’t like her.

Then her thoughts went to Byul. That charismatic woman.

Do I have a crush on her?

I don’t have a crush on her.

No. I am straight.

Yongsun took a deep breath as she reassures herself.

I’m just simply fond of her.

She was about to enter the building when Eric appeared out of nowhere and dragged her to the side.

“Eric, what are you doing?” Yongsun asked as she wiggled her arms out of Eric’s hand. His grip was not tight, but the sudden contact between made her a little uncomfortable.

“I should be the one asking you that,” Eric said in a low voice, almost whispering. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“What are you talking about?” Yongsun asked him, confused.

“I saw you last Friday night. You were with that girl.” Eric was a little frantic.

Yongsun was confused for a moment before she realized whom she was with that Friday night.

“Are you talking about Byulyi?”

“Did she force you?” Eric took a step closer to Yongsun. “You have to tell me so I can help you.”

Yongsun sighed. “Eric, I think you misunderstand things. She is not forcing me to do anything, okay? Just don’t concern yourself with this anymore. My friendship with her has nothing to do with you.”

Eric frustratedly sighed. “I’m just concern.”

“And I am telling you right now that there is nothing to be concerned about. Just stop your stalking.” Yongsun didn’t try to mask out her irritation. Eric made it sound like Byul was the most terrible person.

She walked out on him and towards the entrance without looking back at an equally irritated Eric.

 

Hyejin was visibly excited as she twists and turns in her seat, trying to see if Wheein and Byul were already there.

Yongsun rolled her eyes at her. “Your excitement is getting suspicious.”

Hyejin turned to her raising her eyebrow. “What could be so suspicious about it?”

Yongsun leaned to the table, taking a closer look at Hyejin. “It seems like you are eager to see and bond with her. It’s as if you like W-“

“Wheein!”

Yongsun was cut off when Hyejin shouted the name she was about to utter.

Hyejin stood up and waved her hand. Her smile is so wide Yongsun is concerned it would tear off her lips. She turned to see Wheein, smiling equally wide as Hyejin, waving while dragging a bored-looking Byul with her other hand.

“Hi!” Wheein energetically greeted when they reach them. “Did you wait long?”

“No,” Hyejin answered, motioning for them to sit.

Wheein sat beside Hyejin, so Byul doesn’t have a choice but to sit next to Yongsun. Byul looked at her and Yongsun took a glance. She immediately diverted her eyes everywhere when their gaze met. Byul’s eyebrows furrowed and she leaned a little closer to Yongsun, trying to catch her eyes. Yongsun bit her lip as she leaned on her seat.

“Why are you guys acting weird?” Wheein asked.

Byul and Yongsun looked in front of them saw Hyejin and Wheein watching them. Wheein was a little bit confused while Hyejin was smugly smirking.

Yongsun cleared before she spoke. “We’re not.” She smiled a little towards her. She felt a little guilty, as if she had done something wrong. She didn’t want Wheein to get the wrong idea about her and Byul, and she didn’t want to be Wheein’s object of jealousy.

“Should we buy our food now?” Hyejin stood up while looking at Wheein.

Byul stood up and offered to accompany Hyejin. Still, Wheein quickly jumped to her feet, saying she’ll go.

Byul sat down and looked at the highly awkward Yongsun beside her. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” Yongsun tried so hard to make her voice sound normal.

Byul was just looking at her, making Yongsun felt a little bit exposed as seconds pass by.

“You didn’t like what happened last Friday night, and now you want to avoid me.”

That wasn’t a question. It was a statement that made Yongsun turn towards Byul, who was looking at her blandly.

“It wasn’t like that!” Yongsun said forcefully. She turned to her completely, making their knees brush against each other. “I… I wasn’t avoiding you. It’s just… I don’t want Wheein to get the wrong idea.”

Byul furrowed her eyebrows. “What does Wheein have to do with this?”

Yongsun rolled her eyes at her making Byul’s eyebrow furrowed deeper. “I don’t want her to get jealous.”

Byul was confused with their conversation. “Why would she get jealous?”

Yongsun looked at her as if saying she is stupid. “Aren’t you guys together.”

Byul was about to answer yes when she realized what that statement truly meant. So Yongsun was thinking that she and Wheein are together, as in dating each other.

opened to say something, but she didn’t know what to say, so she gaped in front of a confused Yongsun.

She cleared and leaned a little closer at Yongsun. “Wheein and I are not together.”

Yongsun raised her eyebrows. “You’re not?”

Byul smirked at her as she shook her head. “We’re not.”

Yongsun squinted her eyes at her. “You are always together, and you like having physical contact with her.”

“Well, we grew up together. She’s like a little sister to me. She is my cousin.”

Byul watch as Yongsun’s fluffy cheek became scarlet. She was profusely blushing out of embarrassment. She closed her eyes as she slowly turned away from Byul. For a moment, she felt stupid for not considering that maybe they are related.

Byul was trying so hard not to laugh at the embarrassed woman in front of her. She didn’t want her to be teased about it. However, she can’t contain her smirk.

“We’re back!” Wheein exclaimed, making Byul and Yongsun jump in their sit.

She giggled. “Are you guys okay?”

Byul and Yongsun nodded. Byul can still see a tint of red on Yongsun’s cheek.

“Yongsun, why are you blushing?” The ever-so-direct Hyejin asked her, making her blush even more.

“It’s hot in here,” Yongsun said as she fanned herself using her hand.

Hyejin squinted her eyes at her and the smirking Byul beside her but didn’t ask further.

They ate in comfortable silence for a while. When they’re done, Wheein was the one to speak.

“Ahm… I didn’t know your name yet.” She said, directly looking at Yongsun. She extended her hand towards her for a handshake. “I’m Wheein.”

Yongsun sat straight and took Wheein’s hand. “Yongsun.”

“Great,” Wheein happily said as she looked at Hyejin. “Are you two best friends?”

Hyejin nodded. “Yeah. Unfortunately.”

“Yah!” Yongsun protested.

Wheein giggled at their interaction. She then tells a story about her cat, whom she’s so “in love” with. Yongsun can’t help but notice how energetic and light her aura is. Now that she knew her relationship with Byul, she started to look at Wheein from a different perspective. This girl is so endearing. She looked at Hyejin, who was smiling while listening to what Wheein was saying. The girl seems whipped.

“What do you guys think?”

Yongsun was brought back when Wheein looked at her waiting for an answer. “Think of what?”

Wheein pouted at her. “You’re not listening to me just like Byulyi.”

Yongsun smiled at the nickname. It's adorable. She looked beside her to see Byul leaning on her seat with her eyes closed.

“I’m listening, Wheenie,” Byul said softly without opening her eyes.

“Hmph!” She turned to Yongsun. “Anyway, I was saying that Byulyi doesn’t have a friend here yet, and I don’t have a friend here yet, so we all should be friends. We can have lunch together every day.”

Yongsun giggled. Wheein was so adorable. “Sure.”

“Really?” She looked so genuinely happy.

“Yep.” Yongsun nodded.

“Byulyi, what do you think?” Wheein asked her.

Byul opened an eye to take a pick at Wheein, who looked enthralled with her idea and Yongsun’s agreement. She closed her eyes as she heaved a sigh. “Okay.”

Wheein squealed a little. Hyejin can’t help but chuckle. This woman is so cute, and she is a lot prettier in a closer look. Now that they are friends, it would be easier for Hyejin to get close to her.

I’ll make you fall in love with me, Wheein.

 

The afternoon classes ended. Byul immediately stood up to go, but the teacher asked her to stay. She motioned her to sit at the chair in front of her. Byul sat there, seemingly uninterested. She was sure that she was going to be scolded for something again.

Her teacher sighed as she leaned her hands on the table. The middle-aged woman was looking at Byul, trying to study her.

Byul can’t take the scrutiny anymore, so she spoke.

“What do you want?”

The woman was not surprised by Byul’s lack of honorifics. Being rude to her teachers is a part of her reputation.

“Your grades are not doing well, which I think you already know. Your attendance is lacking, and your scores in your quizzes and tests are so low it can’t make up for it.”

Byul sighed. “Can’t do anything about it.”

The woman leaned on her seat. "You can.”

This picked Byul’s interest. She looked at the woman waiting for her to say the details.

“I’ll give you a chance to redeem your grades. You are going to do a project for me. Make a diorama depicting the freedom of the Korean people from the Japanese Occupation. Pass that project to me on Friday. You fail to pass that. You fail my subject. Your grades are already behind.”

Her teacher stood up and took her things before she leaves the room. Byul was still seated there, contemplating what to do.

She scratched her ear as she heaved a heavy sigh. She stood up and went to the parking of her car. Wheein went home first since her class ended earlier than Byul. She said she is going to catch a ride with Hyejin. Byul was aware of Hyejin’s stare at Wheein significantly earlier at lunch and worried for Wheein. She didn’t know Hyejin personally. She didn’t want Wheein to get hurt.

She turned the building into the parking space when she spotted Yongsun sitting at a bench, seemingly waiting for someone.

Yongsun looked at her phone again for the umpteenth time. Hyejin left earlier with Wheein, so she texted their family driver to pick her up, but the man took so long.

She felt someone took a seat beside her. She caught a whiff of that person’s perfume and instantly knew who it was.

“What are you doing here all alone?” Byul asked. Her hands are in front of her trying to block the afternoon sun.

Yongsun looked at her. “I’m waiting for our driver to pick me up.”

Byul hummed her response.

“Why are you still here?”

Byul dropped her hand and closed her eyes. “A teacher talked to me.”

Yongsun suddenly felt concerned. She turned herself to face Byul fully. “What did they say?”

Byul looked at Yongsun and scratched her neck. She somehow felt embarrassed to tell her about her grades. She usually wouldn’t care, but this is Yongsun.

“My grades are not good, so I have to make up for it and make a diorama, whatever it is, about independence.”

“Oh. When do you need to submit that?”

“Friday.”

Yongsun studied Byul for a moment before she spoke again. “I can help you make it if you want me to.”

Byul looked at Yongsun, who was smiling at her brighter than the afternoon sun.

Byul looked away. She was scratching her ear as she nodded, agreeing to Yongsun’s help.

 

For the following days, Yongsun and Byul met every afternoon to do the diorama. The vacant classroom became their headquarters. Byul would sometimes watch Yongsun and feel a growing fondness towards her that she can’t explain. She would sometimes have the urge to touch her face, hair, or just be physically close to her, which she would always fight against. Yongsun would occasionally catch her staring and would stare back at her in ways she can’t decipher.

Their accidental touches would always trigger a weird, funny feeling inside Yongsun's stomach. She loves Byul’s scent, which is kind of weird. The warmth radiating from her body is very comforting, making Yongsun wonder what it would feel like to be surrounded in her embrace.

This particular afternoon they were painting the miniature replicas to add more detail to their diorama. Yongsun struggled to choose the appropriate color for the background, and the wait for her decision is making the ever-impatient Byul frustrated.

“Just color it blue,” Byul grumbled.

Yongsun didn’t mind her suggestion and proceed to paint sample colors on scrap paper.

Byul silently watches her as she furrows her eyebrows, scratches her nose and cheek, puts some of her loose hair at the back of her ear. She watches as her face brightens up and smiles. She was so lost watching her that Yongsun needed to slap her leg to get her attention.

“Byul, I think cream would be the perfect color for the background. It’s beautiful.”

Byul, who was still watching her, unconsciously answered. “Not as beautiful as you.”

Yongsun whipped her head towards Byul, who looks like she was just awakening from her sleep. Silence followed as they look at each other, not saying a word. Byul thought of what to say to redeem herself and make things less awkward.

She opened to say something stupid when Yongsun looked away, her whole face turning pink. Byul realized that she was blushing and smirk to herself.

“Are you blushing?” Byul who’s smirk widened when Yongsun turned to her.

“I’m not!” Yongsun defensively said as she turns away again.

“I think you are.”

“I said I’m not.” Yongsun tried to glare at Byul, but the pinkness on her cheeks made her a lot cuter.

“You look cute when you’re blushing like that.”

“Shut up.”

Byul chuckled as Yongsun rolled her eyes at her.

Yongsun smiled a little when she realized how Byul was comfortable enough with her to tell her jokes. When she thought of the first time they met and compare their dynamics now, she was happy at the thought of her warming up.

She likes the playful glint in Byul’s eyes when she was teasing her, and she can’t help but wonder if her words were pure teasing or an honest compliment. She felt her cheeks warming up again at the thought of Byul complimenting her. She pushed those thoughts away as she focused on her work. This is much more important than anything else.

Friday afternoon, after Byul submitted her diorama, she went to the vacant classroom where Yongsun was repacking some art materials for the kids.

Byul knocked on the door, grinning, and Yongsun raised her eyebrows at her with a smile plastered on her face.

“What?”

Byul walked in and closed the door. She stepped closer to Yongsun. Her grin is getting wider. “She liked it a lot. She said I just need to improve my attendance and at least try to pass the future quizzes and tests, then I’ll be fine.”

Yongsun beamed at her. “That’s great news. And I think I deserve tteakbokki for my efforts.”

Byul chuckled. “Nah.”

Yongsun playfully frowned at her.

“So, we are repacking?” Byul looked at the boxes behind Yongsun.

“Yep. But I’m almost done.”

Byul hummed as she helped Yongsun finished the remaining items. The semester is almost over, and Yongsun knew that their every Friday afternoon activities with Byul will soon end. This made her wonder if they would remain friends or their interaction would also stop. That thought made her sad. Byul may be warming up to her, but that is not an assurance that she’ll stay as her friend, considering how close off she is. She may know some personal things about her, but it’s not because Byul willingly told her about it. It just happened that she was in a situation when those things were revealed.

Byul realized that Yongsun became suddenly quiet, and she seems to be thinking deeply. It also didn’t escape her watchful eyes how Yongsun's expression became solemn.

“What’s wrong?”

Byul’s deep voice brought Yongsun back from her reverie. She smiled at her. “Nothing. Are you done?”

Byul was not convinced but decided not to pry. It was not in her nature to force someone to tell her things. But then, this is Yongsun, and it irritated Byul how she didn’t know what makes her suddenly sad.

“Yeah, I’m done.”

“Okay. Let’s go.”

Byul was suddenly confused.

“Where?”

Yongsun looked at her, also confused, and then she fell into a fit of giggles that gives tingles to Byul’s side so strong she physically jolted.

“Home, Byulyi. We are going home.” Yongsun said, still giggling. “what’s up with you?”

Byul sighed. “It’s just that your beauty is distracting.”

Yongsun stopped giggling and gaped at a now smirking Byul before she rolled her eyes at her. She then started walking towards the door.

Byul ran up to catch her. “Hey, wait. I would also like to walk beside a pretty lady.” Byul said, and she received a heartfelt punch on her arm.

“Stop being greasy.” Yongsun firmly said, but Byul’s smirk is not faltering at all.

They were walking towards the parking lot casually talking when they bump into Eric.

“Yongsun,” Eric said her name a little bit firmly.

“Eric. Hello.” Yongsun awkwardly greeted him back.

She knew from the tone of his voice that he is upset upon seeing her with Byul. She wishes that he wouldn’t say something offensive against Byul. She didn’t want them to fight. It may put Byul into trouble.

“What are you doing hanging out with this person.”

Byul frowned at how the man addresses her and talks to Yongsun like he has the right to question her.

Byul looked at Yongsun, who was glaring at Eric.

“Can you stop? I told you to not bother about this anymore.” Yongsun said.

“He’s been bothering you?” Byul asked Yongsun, her eyebrows furrowed.

“No. The one who is a bother here is YOU.” Eric said, emphasizing the last word in a louder tone.

Some students are passing by curiously looking at them.

“Eric, can you not make a scene here?” Yongsun told him lowly.

Byul was watching him passively. It’s clear to her that this man had an interest in Yongsun. The way he was gatekeeping her gives her the impression that he must like her a lot.

“What are you looking at?” Eric said, taking a step forward, towering Byul, trying to intimidate her. “You think I’m scared of you?”

Yongsun holds on to Byul’s arm to ground her and distract her from Eric. She then steps forward in front of her.

“Eric, I think you should go,” Yongsun said, her tone laced with irritation.

“I’ll take you home,” Eric demanded, which made Byul so irritated. He’s assuming too much right over Yongsun when he doesn’t have one.

“Would you like me to take you home?” Byul asked Yongsun, and it surprises the latter. She looked at Byul, who was calmly looking at her.

“She’s going with me.” Eric insisted and took another step to get close to her.

“No,” Yongsun said, still looking at Byul, then turned to look at him. “I’m going with Byulyi. She awes me a tteakbokki.”

Byul scratched her ear. She wasn’t planning on going out and treating Yongsun with tteakbokki since she is not comfortable around many people.

“What?” Eric asked incredulously. “Yongsun-“

“I’m going with Byul. Please, Eric, just stop.” Yongsun said to him before she turned and drag Byul by her wrist.

Byul pulled her hand a little, so Yongsun’s hand would slide towards hers. Her hard hand gripping tightly at Yongsun’s warm, soft hand.  Yongsun stopped walking and looked at Byul, who’s a little bit behind her. She was smirking while still gripping Yongsun’s hand tightly.

“W-why are you suddenly holding my hand?” Yongsun said, lightly blushing.

“Just want to experience holding the hand of a fierce, beautiful woman.”

Yongsun abruptly pulled her hand off Byul and used it to punch her hard on her arm.

“Aw.” Byul held her arm. “That actually hurt.”

“Good,” Yongsun said as she started walking. “Where is your car?”

“What car?”

Yongsun rolled her eyes at her. “Your car. You said you’re going to take me home.”

“Ah.” Byul walked ahead of her, and Yongsun followed her until they stop beside Byul’s favorite ride.

“Here’s my ride.”

Yongsun blinked at her. “No.” She raised both of her hands in front of her. “There’s no way I am going to ride that again.”

“Come on, Yong.” Byul position herself on the motorcycle. “You’ve already ridden this before. I’ll go slow.”

Yongsun didn’t say anything and looked at her with the brightest smile that made Byul smile a little too.

“What?”

“What did you just call me?” Yongsun said playfully, squinting her eyes at Byul. Her smile is not faltering.

Byul looked down and instinctively scratch her ear up to her nape, suddenly being shy. “Well… You call me Byulyi… so, you know….”

Byul, still her head down, looked at Yongsun through her lashes. Yongsun raised both of her eyebrows, silently telling her to continue what she’s saying.

Byul cleared and directly looked at Yongsun but then looked away again. She took her helmet and hold on to it.

“So, I’m going to call you Yong.”

Yongsun beamed at her. She is so happy. Her tummy is tingling because she and Byul are now on a “nickname basis”. She catches Byul taking a quick glance at her, and she giggled a little.

“I like that. I like hearing you call me that.”

Byul looked at her and gave her a small, almost shy smile. She looks absolutely charming, and Yongsun wished she could kiss her on her cheek. She smiled back at her.

“So, let’s go?” Byul offered her hand to Yongsun to help her mount the motorcycle.

Yongsun took it and was about to step on the footrest when Byul slightly pulled her.

“Wait. Wear this first.”

She put the helmet on Yongsun and secured it. Yongsun secretly enjoyed their closeness. She can smell Byul through her helmet, and it made her feel nice. There is something about her scent that always made her crave it more whenever she smelled.

The drive was slow, and Yongsun liked the physical contact she’s having with Byul. Her hands were wrapped around her, her left hand holding her right wrist to lock her embrace. She laid her head on Byul’s back and close her eyes as she relaxes.

After a few minutes, which felt like seconds to Yongsun, they stopped. She pulls her head from Byul’s back and saw that they are in front of the gate of an unfamiliar house. The gate opened, and Byul started to drive going in. The yard was spacious, and the house also has a mini garden with only a few flowering plants. They stopped at the front stair leading to the front door.

Byul tapped Yongsun’ss leg, indicating her to get down.

Yongsun removed the helmet off and scanned the area. The lawn in front of the house was expansive and well maintained. She saw few people watching them in the distance.

“Let’s go inside.”

Her attention went to Byul, who was already climbing the stairs to the front door. She rushed to her while she opened the door.

“Where are we?” Yongsun asked Byul as she followed her inside.

“In our house.”

Yongsun was surprised that Byul had brought her home.

Yongsun looked around in curiosity.

The interior of the house is just so beautiful. The floor was blanketed with a flowered pattern tile. Furniture was a combination of classic and modern styles. There are some paintings on the wall but what really caught Yongsun’s eye was the chandelier. It looks so elegant and classy hanging from the high ceiling.

“Byulyi, I heard you’re home.”

They both turn their head towards their right, and there appeared Wheein.

“Yongsun unnie!” Wheein explained when she saw Yongsun beside Byul.

“Hi.” Yongsun waved a little.

“I’m glad you’re here. What are you guys up to?”

Byul scratched her head. “She wants tteakbokki, but I don’t want to go in a public place, so I took her here then we can order.”

Yongsun turned to Byul. She didn’t know that was her purpose in bringing her home.

“Great!” Wheein exclaimed. She went to Yongsun and took her arm. “We are going to stay in my room. Come after you order.” She dragged Yongsun towards the stairs, but before she took a step, she turned to Byul. “And please add fried chicken and fries. Thanks.”

Byul watched them as they ascended the stairs. Wheein was already talking a lot while Yongsun was listening to her casually smiling. She frowned, and she took her phone from her pocket and call to order.

Yongsun took in the interior of Wheein’s room. It was neat and spacious. Aside from the bed, wardrobe, and her study table, there’s not much stuff inside. She immediately noticed how her things were a bit old. She went closer to the study table and saw some drawing materials and a sketchbook.

“Maybe we should stay on the balcony? The air feels good.” Wheein said as she approaches her.

“Sure.” Yongsun smiled at her and followed her outside on the balcony. And true, the air is cool and very refreshing.

They settled in a wooden seat overlooking the wooded area not far from the mansion.

“This place is nice. The air is so refreshing.” Yongsun said, smiling while taking a lung full of air.

“Yeah. If only this place doesn’t feel so empty.”

Yongsun looked at Wheein, who was looking so far off.

“What do you mean?”

Wheein turned to her and smiled. “Nothing. Don’t mind me.”

Yongsun hummed. “I saw a sketchbook there, you draw?”

Wheein nodded. “Yeah. It’s one of my hobbies. I also paint.”

“Really? Can I see?”

Wheein giggled before she stood up and took the sketchbook. She settled back on her seat and gave it to Yongsun.

“Don’t expect too much, though. I’m not that good.”

Yongsun browsed the sketchbook and was amazed at how beautiful Wheein’s drawings were. It was random portraits and a sketch of butterflies and flowers.

“Why are you saying you are not that good when these drawings look so amazing,” Yongsun told her while still browsing.

“Well, everyone can do those kinds of drawing.”

Yongsun looked at her and squinted her eyes. “That is not true. The only drawing I can do is stick man.”

Wheein giggled, making Yongsun laugh with her too.

“What’s funny?”

They both turned to see Byul leaning at the balcony door with the food in her hands.

“Secret,” Wheein answered playfully.

Byul put the plastics on the table before them when they realized they didn’t have drinks with them. Yongsun told them that water will be okay and when Byul stood up to go to the kitchen, Yongsun volunteered to go with her.

They were descending the stairs, and Yongsun was watching the chandelier, still amazed by it. They sure have their own at home, but it was not as massive and detailed as this one. The design is so intricate, like it was meticulously put together.

She looked at Byul when she felt her hand on her arm. She was looking at a man five steps below them. He looked like he was in his late forties to early fifties. His physique is so muscular, and the way he stood was so intimidating. He was looking at Byul with an intense gaze for a moment before his eyes bore into her.

Yongsun silently gasped when she saw his almond eyes. She recognizes those eyes, and she just realizes the man’s resemblance with Byul. He looked exactly like her. This man is Byul’s father.

Yongsun quickly bowed to the man and greeted him. “Good afternoon, sir.”

The man gave her a small smile as equally charming as his daughter. “Good afternoon, Miss?”

“Kim Yongsun, sir,” Yongsun said, smiling at him.

The man nodded and hummed. “Good afternoon, Yongsun.”

“Let’s go,” Byul said as she held Yongsun’s arm. They took several steps down until they are at the level of Byul’s father.

“If I didn’t ask for your friend’s name, I wouldn’t know who she is. You have no plan to introduce her to me.”

Yongsun looked at Byul, who was looking passively at her father. “I wouldn’t take her here if I had known you’ll be here this early.”

The man sighed and looked at Yongsun again with a small smile. “Feel at home, Yongsun.”

Yongsun slightly bowed at him as he ascended the stairs.

They walked to the kitchen, and as Byul was taking the bottled waters, Yongsun spoke up.

“Your father seems nice.”

She regarded Byul’s reaction. She knows how much Byul hates her father, but he seems to be a nice man. He looks awkward earlier talking to her. Yongsun had a feeling that all that’s happened between them was a huge misunderstanding.

Byul was silent and didn’t say anything. They were silent till they reach Wheein’s room, and the woman instantly caught it.

“What happened to you two?”

“Nothing,” Yongsun answered.

They ate and talked, mostly Wheein, who never ran out of stories. She told Yongsun some stories about their childhood.

Her heart sank when Byul told her that she’ll take her home, and even on the way ‘till she went out of Byul’s car, she didn’t say a word.

Yongsun can’t help but think that if she didn’t make that comment, maybe Byul wouldn’t have given her the silent treatment.

 

 

“You’re telling me you guys hang out with each other without me?” Hyejin felt a little betrayed.

“No!” Yongsun sighed. She told Hyejin about meeting Byul’s father and how Byul gave her the silent treatment when she said she thinks her father was nice. But what retained to Hyejin was that the three of them were there, and she wasn’t.

Hyejin was glaring while pouting at her.

“It’s not like it was intentional. I didn’t know Byul would take me to her house.” Yongsun tried to explain.

“But still…” Hyejin said, still pouting. She picks up her fork and proceeds to eat her food.

Yongsun leaned on her seat and sighed. “I wonder if she is attending her classes.”

Hyejin looked at her raising her eyebrow. “You miss her?”

“Huh?” Yongsun was taken aback by the question.

Hyejin smirked at her.

“It’s not like I miss her. I was just wondering if she is coming here to school because I didn’t saw her since Monday.” Yongsun said defensively.

“There is nothing wrong in admitting you miss her.” Hyejin rolled her eyes at her. “Whenever we are together, you always talk about her. It’s as if she is living in your mind, rent-free.”

Yongsun rolled her eyes at her.

Hyejin put down her fork and leaned a little on the table. “Do you, perhaps, feels something towards her?”

Yongsun looked at her trying to decipher what that question could mean. She bit her lip before she answered. “I care about her.”

“Is that it?” Hyejin inquired a little bit more.

Yongsun thought for a moment. She was happy when she’s with her. Her teasing causes a tingling feeling in her stomach. She likes her small charming smile. And she loves those twinkling eyes of hers when she teases her. She may be innocent and inexperienced, but she is not naïve. Somehow, she knew that it is more than just ‘caring about her’.

She felt Hyejin’s hand on hers. She was looking at her with an understanding smile. “Take it slow. Do not go against it, but do not also immediately dive into it.”

She smiled at her.

This is something scary, but Yongsun felt so excited. These were the feelings she read from her books. The emotions that she once thought she’ll never feel. When she felt contented and happy with all the things she enjoys, Byul came and made her realize that life is so much more and she could be happier.

 

Yongsun was drumming her fingers on her thighs as she looks at her watch again. Byul should be here now since her class ended one and a half hours ago. She can’t help but think the worst. What if she was caught in a fight again and was injured somewhere.

She closes her eyes to ease her worries. A moment earlier, when she was about to call her, she realized she didn’t have her number. She looked at her watch again and decided to wait for another five minutes. There’s not much to do since it’s a storytelling Saturday. Tomorrow is going to be the second to the last day of the volunteering program. After the last week of the volunteering is the exams week. Yongsun wasn’t having any troubles when it comes to reviewing, but she was worried about Byul. She was planning to ask her to be her study partner.

Yongsun looked at her watch again and sighed. Six minutes already passed. She stood up and took her things, and went out of the door.

She sat at a bench near the parking lot, waiting for their family driver, when someone flops beside her. She looks at Byul, who was heaving, trying to catch her breath.

“I went to the vacant classroom. I thought you were still there.” She’s taking deep breaths to stabilize her breathing.

“There’s not much to do.”

Yongsun wanted to ask her why she was late and what happened to her the entire week since she never joined them for lunch the whole week but held back. This started when she commented about her father, so she didn’t want to push more buttons by irritating her.

Byul intently looked at her while Yongsun was looking in the gate’s direction.

“What’s wrong?” Byul tilted her head as she studied Yongsun’s face.

Yongsun looked at her for a moment. “Where were you? Why am I only seeing you now?”

Byul looked away. “I have to do some things.”

Yongsun’s eyebrow knitted. “Are you in trouble?”

Byul looked at her and smirked. “You look gorgeous when you’re worried.”

She received an outstanding eye roll from her. “I am serious, Byul. Did you get yourself in trouble?”

 Byul chuckled lowly as she shook her head. “No.”

Yongsun was about to ask her what is she had been doing when Byul’s phone rang. She took it out of her front pocket and immediately answered it when she saw the caller.

“Yeah.”

She didn’t even say hello. Yongsun watched her as she seriously listened to the person on the other line.

“Okay, I’ll be there.” Byul looked at Yongsun and sighed.

“I have to go.”

Yongsun nodded, giving Byul a small smile.

Byul stood up and took a few steps before turning to Yongsun, who was just watching her. She cleared and put her right hand on her pocket while her left hand went to her nape.

“Do you want to go with me?”

Yongsun just gave her a smile.

 

 

“Where are we going?” Yongsun curiously looks at Byul.

“To a friend of mine.” Byul took a quick glance at Yongsun at the passenger seat of her truck. “He has some information about the thing I am working with.”

Yongsun hummed as she nodded. “Why did you ask me to come?”

Byul didn’t immediately answer.

Yongsun curiously watches her, waiting for her answer, but Byul remained quiet. Yongsun turned her head to the other side and watch through the window.

Byul bit her lip as she tries to explain why she asks Yongsun to go with her. They may be a little bit closer now, but she’s still a little bit cautious. She will not openly admit that she needed her there and that she actually missed her and wanted to spend more time with her.

They arrive at a simple two-story house with a vast empty yard. There were a few trees at the side of it with a pile of dried leaves beneath it.

Byul parked her truck right in front of the house. She took her seatbelt off and looked at Yongsun. She was now facing a huge problem. How is she going to introduce Yongsun to her friends?

The front door opened, and Ken came out. He approached the truck, leaned his elbow at the window, and earnestly looked at Byul. He was about to say something when he noticed Yongsun at the passenger seat. His eyes widened, and he looked at Byul again before he went running inside the house.

“Who is he?” Yongsun asked.

Byul heaved a sigh. She’s doomed.

She went out of the truck and motioned Yongsun to follow. Yongsun was removing her seatbelt when Ken, Jin, Hani, and Sanduel, with a cooking spoon in hand, came running out. They saw Byul alone standing in front of her truck, and the three turned their head on Ken.

“She’s alone,” Hani said, crossing her arms around her chest.

“Stop imagining things, Kennie,” Jin said while Sanduel just nodded.

“I’m not-“Ken's eyes widened again when he saw Yongsun came into view walking towards Byul. She tapped Jin’s arm while not removing his eyes from her.  

They all turned towards Byul, and their jaw dropped as they saw a pretty smiling woman beside her.

“See. It’s not my imagination.” Ken whispered to the others as they watch Byul and the pretty woman walk towards them.

“Can you fix yourselves? You guys look so stupid.” Byul said with a frown as they reach them.

The way they looked at Yongsun with a mixture of shock and admiration is making Byul uneasy.

Yongsun lightly slaps Byul’s arm.

“That is so rude.” She whispered.

Byul cleared , getting the attention of the four people who were still in shock.

“Ken, you said you have some information?” Byul asked seriously.

Ken looked at her and took a step forward. He then turned to Yongsun and offered his hand.

“Hello. I’m Ken Byul’s friend.”

Yongsun gave him her usual bright smile as she took his hand. That made Byul frown.

“I’m Yongsun.”

The others followed, introducing themselves one by one.

“I’m Sanduel, the best cook.”

“I’m Jin, the most handsome.”

Hani took Yongsun’s hand as she gave her a charming smile. “Your beauty stings like a bee. Hi Yongsun, I’m your Hani.”

Yongsun giggled at Hani’s introduction. While Ken pretended to puke.

Byul roughly snatches Yongsun’s hand from Hani.

Yongsun looked at her confused while Hani was smirking at her maliciously, almost mocking.

“Let’s go inside. I’m preparing dinner. Yongsun, maybe you could stay for dinner?” Sanduel excitedly motioned for her to enter, and Yongsun happily obliged.

Byul was the last one to enter. She saw Yongsun was sitting on the couch together with Jin on her left and Hani on her right. She has no choice but to sit in the single-seat opposite Ken.

Yongsun was talking to Ken and Jin. They’re telling her about how they rarely have a guest in the house.

Hani scooted a little closer towards Yongsun, giving her a smile while Yongsun looked at her confused but still smiling.

“Have you joined a pageant before?” Hani asked her.

“No, I haven’t. Why?” Yongsun curiously asked.

Ken raised his eyebrows as if also wondering about the question.

“Well, you could be an amazing candidate for Miss My Universe.”

Yongsun laughed at that while Ken just rolled his eyes. Jin snorted.

“Your funny,” Yongsun said as she was giggling. She was so amused at Hani. She was so openly trying to flirt without hesitation. She might have experience dating a girl before.

“Right?” Hani said, smirking. “Maybe you might like us to spend more time toge-“

“That was full of .”

Hani’s attempt to ask Yongsun out was interrupted by Byul. “I don’t understand what’s so funny. It was lame.”

Hani's smirk grew wide as she looked at Byul, who was glaring at her. Byul’s jaw clenches as she tries to stop herself from saying something.

“So, Yongsun, you are also a friend of Byul or…?” Ken asked, leaning his elbows to his knees.

Yongsun nodded. “Yes.” She briefly looked at Byul. “I am her friend from school.”

Ken nodded, eyeing Byul, who was looking at Yongsun with a severe unreadable expression.

Hani shifted in her seat. “So, Yongsun, what I am saying-“

“Ken.” Byul interrupted again. Her voice was slightly louder, and though she called for Ken, her eyes were at Hani throwing daggers at her.

Hani chuckled lowly as she subtly shrugged her shoulder.

Yongsun was oblivious as she started to roam her eyes at the interior of the house. It was neat and well-kept. She wonders who among the friends owns this.

“What is that information you're saying?”

All of them grew serious as Ken carefully eyed Yongsun. She somehow got the hint.

She turned to Byul. “I’ll help your other friend there in the kitchen.”

She was about to stand when Byul spoke.

“Stay.” She said as she was looking at her with a softer expression. Yongsun saw how her eyes also spoke the same word she just uttered and so much more. Yongsun nod at her and stayed in her seat.

She then turned to Ken with a serious expression. “It’s okay. She knows.”

The three of them were taken aback. Just how close they are that a topic about Byul’s life has been shared with Yongsun. They thought that taking Yongsun here was the first step of getting closer, but it turned out wrong.

Ken cleared his throat. “I was at the game house when a group of three men came. At first, I thought they were the informant I was waiting for, but I was wrong. They were looking for Jun.”

Jin leaned his elbows to his knees. “Why?”

“I don’t know. I wasn’t paying much attention to them, but they spotted two of the guys drinking there. I remember them being two of the guys Jun was with when we fought the last time. I ask Hyunsik about them, and he said they are working for the Hwang family.”

“Hwang family… seems like I heard of that surname before.” Jin made a thoughtful looking seemingly trying to remember.

“They own the cartel.” Byul knew of them. She was approached by one of their local dealers before.

“So, Jun was dealing now?” Jin asked Ken.

“I don’t know… But one thing is for sure. He ed up, and now he’s hiding.”

“But this doesn’t have anything to do with that thing I’m trying to work on.” Byul was frustrated. She thought Ken had gathered valuable information.

“It doesn’t.” Ken leaned his elbows on his knees and directly looked at Byul’s eyes. “But I saw something that you might want to know.”

Byul knitted her eyebrows. “What is it?”

“The three guys….” Ken gulped at Byul’s intense stare. “They have a tattoo of an eye on their hand just below their thumb.”

Byul visibly tensed. She gripped the couch armrest. “Are you sure?”

Ken nodded. “Yes. I saw it. When they grabbed the two guys and dragged them, they walked in front of me on their way out.”

Byul clenched her jaw and leaned her elbows to her knees. The mention of the eye tattoo suddenly gave her flashbacks of that scene. She closed her eyes and held her head in a poor attempt to stop it.

“Byul… Are you alright?”

Yongsun’s soft voice somehow chased those images away. She opened her eyes and looked up at Yongsun, who was looking worried.

“I’m okay.” Her voice was a little raspy.

The concern in Yongsun’s face made Byul feel lighter. She gave her a small smile to assure her that she is indeed alright.

Hani looked at them back and forth and cleared . “This is really off-topic but, … How long have you been friends?”

Yongsun answered for both of them. “Not that long.”

Hani hummed as she slowly nodded. She looked at Byul, who was eyeing her, and Hani can’t help but smirk at her. Byul just rolled her eyes in return.

“Ken.” Byul wanted to know more about those people. They are the reason for the significant shift in her life, and she wants to know why.

“Can you keep an eye on them? In case they return?”

Ken nod at her.

Byul stood from her seat and looked at Yongsun.

“Let’s go.”

Yongsun stood up, but Hani held her wrist.

Both Yongsun and Byul looked at her. One is curious, while the other is threatening.

“I thought you’re going to have dinner here?”

Hani said, looking straight at Byul.

“We didn’t agree to that. Besides, Yongsun needs to go home early.”

Byul took a step and Yongsun’s wrist out of Hani’s grip. She nodded in Ken and Jin’s direction while Yongsun waved her hand.

“Tell Sanduel that we left.”

The two men nod their heads, and Jin waved at Yongsun too while they made their way to the door.

 

They were silent as Byul drives. She was pissed at how Hani was blatantly flirting with Yongsun and was stupid enough to ask her out. She didn’t even consider that Yongsun is straight. That she might feel uncomfortable with her words. But then she also remembered how Yongsun was laughing and giggling at anything Hani says, and it makes her even more pissed.

There is nothing funny in everything she said. It was all mere stupid pick-up lines.

“Byul….”

Byul’s thought was interrupted by Yongsun’s soft voice. It caught her attention, but she didn’t answer. She is pissed.

Yongsun shifts in her seat as she turns to face Byul.

“Can I ask you something?”

“What?”

Yongsun bit her lip, contemplating if she should ask. Byul seems to be in a bad mood. Maybe because of the information Ken had told her.

Yongsun sighed. “Uhm…. Nevermind.”

Byul’s jaw clenched. “What is it?”

Yongsun tried to brush it off, saying it’s not that important.

Byul suddenly stopped the car at the side of the road. She faced Yongsun, who looked confused.

“What is it? Say it.”

Yongsun hesitated, but she was forced to voice out her curiosity because of Byul's intense stare.

“Does Hani likes girls?”

Byul’s eyebrows furrowed in a deep frown.

“Yes, she does.” Her tone was clipped. “Why are you asking?”

“I’m just a little curious.”

“Are you interested in her?” Byul’s frown is making Yongsun nervous. She knows Byul will not hurt her in any way, but her frown and aura are a little too intense.

“No. N-Not in that kind of way.” She stuttered as she felt the sudden tension.

“Is that the only thing you want to ask?”

Yongsun nervously bit her lip before she answered.

“Actually, there’s one more thing.”

Byul scoffed. “You should have asked for her phone number if you that curious about her.”

Yongsun bit her tongue when her eyes met Byul’s glare.

Why did she suddenly get so upset?

“My question doesn’t have anything to do about her.”

Byul looked at her for a moment.

“What is it?”

Yongsun looked straight to Byul’s eye. “What is it about the men with an eye tattoo?”

Byul visibly stiffened. She looked away from Yongsun’s gaze. She leaned on the driver’s seat as she taps her hands on the steering wheel. She then sighed and looked back at Yongsun.

“They are involved about an indecent that happened in my past.”

Yongsun slowly nodded. Waiting for more.

“That’s all I can say.”

Yongsun nod at her and gave her a small smile.

“I’ll tell you about that story some other time, Yong.”

Byul started the engine and continued driving. Yongsun faced the car window and bit her lip hard to contain the giggle that wanted to come out.

“Are you okay?” Byul took several glances towards her.

Yongsun gave Byul a smile that never fails to make Byul mesmerized. “You called me Yong again.”

Byul slowly nodded. “You call me Byulyi.”

Yongsun giggled. “Yeah. It is a cute nickname.”

Byul only scoffed.

“I like it so much when you call me Yong. No other person calls me that. Just you.” Yongsun said, looking in front, smiling thoughtfully.

Byul took a quick glance at her and smiled a little.

Yong. I like calling you that too.

 

Byul stopped her car in front of Yongsun’s house gate. She looked at Yongsun as she unbuckles her belt. She paused for a moment and looked at Byul.

“Do you want to come inside?”

Byul was surprised. She didn’t expect that.

She was contemplating what to do. She looked at the brightly lit house and back at Yongsun, who was looking at her expectantly.

“It’s okay if you can’t. Maybe some other time?” Yongsun softly said with a small smile.

Byul looked in front of them and tapped the steering wheel as she tries to come up with a decision.

She looked at Yongsun and gave her a small smile.

“Is it okay if I park here?”

Yongsun looked at her for a moment before a bright dimpled smile slowly broke out of her. Byul’s grip on the steering wheel tightened. She’s so breathtaking. There was this sudden urge to kiss her, which made Byul frown.

No. Byul, no.

“It’s okay. You can leave your truck here.”

Yongsun opened the car door and get out. Byul sighed before she went out and followed her towards their gate.

Byul was welcomed with a warm ambiance as she stepped inside Yongsun’s house.

Yongsun went straight to the sofa in the living room to put down her things. She turned to Byul and motioned for her to sit.

Byul tentatively sat and looked around the house. Somehow, the place really felt like Yongsun. Brightly lit, warm, and comfortable. She looked at the glass table at the corner near the stairs, full of pictures in frames. She can see some of it were photos of Yongsun.

“Yongsun, is that you? Are you home?”

Byul looked at the side where she believes leads to the kitchen. An old lady was standing there, smiling. She shifted her gaze from Yongsun to Byulyi, and she looked surprised.

Byul stood up and bowed at the lady. Yongsun held her wrist and pulled Byul towards her.

“Byul, this is Nanay Aida. She’s the one who takes care of me since I was a baby.”

Yongsun looked at the old lady, who was looking at Byul.

“Nanay, this is Byulyi. She’s my friend.”

Byul awkwardly bowed again while the old lady simply said hello.

“Come now, have your dinner,” the lady said smiling.

They went to the dining table and saw the food already prepared. They eat quietly for some time before Byul spoke up.

“Are you and your Nanny’s the only person here?” She asked.

“No. We have three other helpers and our driver.”

Byul slowly nodded and continued eating.

“Why did you ask?”

Byul looked up at her. “I just thought that there are a lot of bad people out there and being just the two of you here is very risky.”

“Do you care about me now, Byulyi?” Yongsun teased.

Byul scoffed and rolled her eyes at her.

“This food is so tasty.”

Yongsun giggled. “Are you trying to change the topic?”

Byul gave her a sly smirk. “Maybe.”

Yongsun bit her lip. That smirk caused weird happenings in her tummy.

They ate in silence for a while and decided to stay in the living room after dinner.

Byul saw a stack of outdoor magazines at the bottom of the center table. She took them and curiously browse them.

“How nerd are you that you even read this kind of thing?”

“How did you know it was me reading those?”

“Your Nanny wouldn’t be interested in snorkeling, sky diving, and mountain climbing, would she?” Byul said, raising both of her eyebrows.

Yongsun rolled her eyes at her.

“It looks fun. I imagine how refreshing and freeing it could be to experience those kinds of adventures. Or even just to simply see the scenery and breathe fresh air.

“Why do you imagine it? Haven’t you done something like those before?”

Yongsun thought for a while. “When I was seven, my parents took me to the beach.”

Byul raised her eyebrows towards Yongsun.

She looks at her, confused. “why are you looking at me like that?”

Byul slightly turned her body towards Yongsun.

“So, you are telling me that you have been just school and home all your life?”

Yongsun shrugged. “Well, I go to the orphanage too.”

Byul regarded Yongsun for a while. She is not just an innocent woman. She is also sheltered. It reminded her of how they are totally opposite of each other. And somehow, a fear spawned within her. She is a person who is always on edge, and she didn’t want to drag Yongsun on edge with her. She didn’t want to harm her. She didn’t want her hurt. She wants to protect her.

Yes, Yongsun. I care about you. A lot.

After talking for a while, Byul decided to go home. She said her goodbyes to Yongsun and Nanay Aida before she left.

As she was driving, she thought of the conversation she had with Yongsun after their dinner. A small smile crept into her lips when an idea came to her.

 

Eric is really a nice guy, and it adds up to his undeniable charm. He wasn’t used to chasing women. He is the kind that actually feels guilty after rejecting one. But when he met Yongsun, his world shifted. Her beauty, soft giggles, adorable laugh, and bright smile will always make his day. He’s been trying so hard to reach her. And even if he faced thousands of rejections from her, he knows he won’t give up. Having a friendship with her gave him hope. If Yongsun would be able to know him more, she’ll maybe fall for him too. He thought it could happen. So, he remained patient.

Then there’s that troublemaker. Sliding her way in Yongsun’s life. He may not understand why Yongsun was so drawn into her, but he promised himself that he is going to protect her no matter what.

He was leaning his car in the parking lot, waiting. He looked up and saw Hyejin’s car coming. He waited until it parked and saw Yongsun went out from the passenger side. They walked side by side, having a conversation when Eric decided to approach them.

“Hi, Yongsun.” He said, smiling.

Yongsun smiled at him as she said hello.

He turned to Hyejin and greet her too, which she answered with a nod.

“Are you free this weekend? I heard that the volunteering activities are postponed due to the exams. So, I think maybe you wouldn’t have much to do this weekend?”

 Yongsun looked at Hyejin, silently asking for help, but she just looked at her passively.

She turned her attention to Eric.

“Eric,” She sighed, “I’m sorry. I still have some studying to do. Some of my subjects move the exams next week.”

She didn’t totally lie. Two of her minor subjects indeed moved the exams the coming week, but she didn’t need to study much about it. She can just scan her notes Sunday night before going to sleep.

“Oh, I see.”  Eric nodded slowly.

“Yeah.” Yongsun gave him a small smile. She somehow felt bad for lying a bit.

“We should go. Classes will start soon.” Hyejin said, wanting to get out of that awkward situation.

Yongsun looked at Eric and waved a little. They turned to go, but after a couple of steps away, Eric said something.

“You should really stay away from that troublemaker.”

Yongsun abruptly stopped walking and turned to face him.

“She is more than that, and her name is Byul.”

Hyejin looked at Yongsun, a little surprised when she heard the edge in her voice.

“Okay,” Eric sighed, “I’m just trying to look after you. I care about you a lot, Yongsun.”

“Thank you. But you should also know your boundaries.”

That statement made such a negative impact on Eric. All these years, he did nothing but respect her boundaries.

“I never crossed your boundaries, Yongsun. It’s just that this time, it concerns me that you are getting close with someone violent,” Eric scoffed, “Don’t you think that she may take advantage of you? Are you aware that she is a lesbian?”

“What is so wrong about being a lesbian?” Hyejin asked, directly looking at him. She didn’t try to mask her displeasure of Eric’s words and tone.

Eric was speechless. He tries to find the right words to explain himself.

Yongsun sighed, “Eric, I’ve told you before, and I am going to tell you again, I do not have any romantic feelings for you. And I think you deserve more than my countless rejection. You should find someone who can take care of you and love you the way you deserve. I’m sorry. I am really, really sorry, but I wish for you to stop.”

Eric clenched his jaw. He can feel it. He can feel the absolute rejection, and that sympathetic look Yongsun is giving him doesn’t help at all. It only makes the rejection a lot more painful.

“We’ll be heading to class.”

Yongsun and Hyejin turned and walked towards the main building, while Eric was left there looking at Yongsun’s back. His jaw clenched as he thought of that troublemaker getting close with Yongsun. She may have rejected him, but it doesn’t mean he would stop looking out for her. He would still be around.

 

“He’s really that persistent,” Hyejin said as they walk into the hallway.

Yongsun didn’t respond, so she looked at her. She looked worried. Hyejin put her hand on her shoulder. “Don’t worry. He’ll get over you. You already gave him the ultimate rejection.”

“Huh?”

Hyejin’s eyebrows furrowed. “I’m talking about Eric.”

Yongsun nod. “Ah…. Yeah, I hope so.”

“So, it wasn’t him you are thinking about earlier?”

 Yongsun glance at her and shook her head.

“I’m wondering if Byul studied for the exam. There was this last time that she needed to make a diorama to fill in her grades. She still needs to pass the remaining exams to pass the subjects.

Hyejin raised her eyebrows at her. “So, you thinking about Byul?”

Yongsun looked at her, confused. “Yeah…. Why?”

Hyejin chuckled. Her friend didn’t notice it, but she is getting deep into her friendship with Byul. She just wishes for her to be happy and safe. Hyejin is still skeptical about Byul but seeing her friend’s excitement and enthusiasm whenever she mentions her made her feel relieved. Despite Byul’s reputation, it is clear that she makes Yongsun happy.

 

The first two exams Yongsun had this morning is a little bit easier than she expected. She hoped that the following exams in the next few days would be the same.

She has more free time before lunch, so she decided to spend it at the library and read some books to relax her mind. She was about to take a step at the stairs when she was grabbed by someone from behind. They took her to a vacant room. As they entered, the person immediately let go of her.

Yongsun turned and crossed her arms. “Can’t you take my attention like a normal person?”

“You know it was me?”

Yongsun rolled her eyes at her.

Byul squinted her eyes. “I do not appreciate you rolling your eyes at me all the time, Ms. Kim.”

“And I do not appreciate how you grab me like a kidnapper, Moon Byulyi.”

Byul gave her a lopsided grin. “Fair enough.”

“No, it isn’t fair.”

Byul sighed and grabbed Yongsun’s wrist. “Let’s go.”

Yongsun was confused, but she still followed. “Where?”

“At my secret place.”

 

They were sitting at the same bench they sat on the first time they were there. The place didn’t change much since. Aside from the relatively thicker pile of leaves below the trees, the place is all the same.

“Why are we here?”

“I want to tell you something.”

Yongsun’s eyebrows raised. “You could say that at the vacant classroom we entered earlier. Why do we have to be here? It’s too far.”

“It’s risky. There could be students who might see us.”

“You care about your unapproachable reputation so much?” Yongsun playfully asked.

Byu turned to her with her brows furrowed.

“I am thinking about YOUR reputation Ms. Kim.”

Yongsun’s playful smile faltered.

“My reputation?”

 Byul nodded.

“I don’t have any reputation to uphold, Byulyi.”

 Byul scoffed. “I didn’t know you are that oblivious.”

“I am not oblivious. Indeed, I do not have any kind of reputation within this school.”

Byul looked at her. “You are a smart student. You are kind, and friendly, and approachable. You are pretty. You have all the criteria of being almost perfect. The students think highly of you. Your juniors look up to you. When you became the leader of the volunteering team, some tried to get in for a chance of getting close to you.”

Byul looked away. “They admire you so much, and just the mere fact that you are talking to me, it might affect how they see you.”

“They already saw us talking. They –“

“And they looked at us like they wanted to save you.” Byul looked at Yongsun. “In their eyes, I am a dangerous person.”

“You are not a bad person, Byulyi.”

Byul lowly chuckled. “You think so, huh?” She turned to look at Yongsun, who was looking at her solemnly.

Byul sighed. “You don’t know the real me. I am a very angry person, Ms. Kim, and an angry person can inevitably be bad.”

“You can’t control it?”

“No.”

Silence followed.

Yongsun disagrees about Byul’s perception of herself, but she didn’t want to create an unnecessary argument between them. She knew Byul wouldn’t even consider her words. She always assumes the worst about herself.

“You said you are going to say something?”

Byul looked at her. “Ahh…. Yeah.”

Yongsun raised her eyebrows at her, a gesture for her to continue.

“I know a place where you can have fresh air.”

“Huh?” Yongsun’s brows knitted.

Byul looked everywhere but Yongsun as she scratched her ear.

“Well, you said you aren’t out for a while now, so….” Byul shrugged her shoulders.

“So…?” Yongsun asked, trying to contain her smile.

“So, if you want, I can take you outside where you can have fresh air.”

Yongsun bit her lip in an intense effort to contain her excitement.

Byul looked at her. I’ll pick you up this Saturday at four PM.”

Yongsun nodded while smiling. “Okay.”

Byul grinned at her. “Aren’t you the prettiest when you smile?”

Yongsun scoffed as she playfully rolled her eyes at her. Her smile and blush were evident.

“Shut up, Moon Byulyi.”

Byul chuckled. She likes how Yongsun would throw her an attitude while being flustered whenever she would give a compliment. A compliment that isn’t so hard to say because it is absolutely true.

Right at that moment, as Byul was looking at her, she is indeed the prettiest.

 

“Byul asked you out on a date?” Hyejin asked, eyes wide open.

“No. We are just going out.” Yongsun said as she opens the lid of her lunch.

Hyejin rolled her eyes. “Isn’t it the same thing?”

“No, it’s not. Byul didn’t specifically say that it is a date.”

“Whatever. So, what did you say?”

“I said okay,” Yongsun said, shrugging.

Hyejin exaggeratedly gasped. “Eric’s been asking you since forever, and you always rejected him, but Byul just asked the first time, and you agreed?”

“Well, it’s …. Different.”

Hyejin studied Yongsun for a while.

“Do you like Byul?”

Yongsun’s spoon hanged in the air. She put it down and looked at Hyejin.

“Of course. I wouldn’t want to be her friend if –“

“Yongsun.” Hyejin interrupted her. “I think you know what I mean. Do you like her?”

Yongsun sighed as she leaned her back on her seat.

“You asked that question before, and the answer is still the same. I don’t know.” Yongsun fidgeted with her hands. “I never had an experience of dating, and I never felt so drawn into someone before. I don’t know if I like her like that.”

Hyein slowly nodded. Indeed, Yongsun never dated before. She was always oblivious to the people showing interest in her. So, if she really is that drawn towards Byul, then maybe there are some unique feelings.

Hyejin reached for her hand. “You have to discover it yourself. Just be careful, okay? Remember, go with the flow, but don’t dive into it.”

Yongsun smiled at her.

Hyejin took her hand back and pick up her fork.

“So, let say you like Byul more than a friend. Is it okay with you?”

Yongsun slowly nodded at her.

“There is nothing wrong with that, right?”

Hyejin smiled at her. “Right.”