It's NOT funny

When the Sun shines

Days passed like how it’s always been. Yongsun spent the week studying and arranging everything about the volunteering activity. She thought of the activities that they could do and she would present it to the members in the meeting. She is excited of the ideas she thought of and she wishes that the members would approve.

There are more than sixty people who registered but they can only maximize the numbers to fifty volunteers. Yongsun felt bad for those who are not able to join so she tried to ask to at least make it seventy but Mr Kim have told her that the School President have strictly said that they would only allow fifty students. Yongsun was disappointed. But on the brighter side, she felt happy that a lot of people are actually having an interest in participating in this noble cause.

Friday came and the team gathered for their first meeting. Yongsun asked for a head count and everyone is there.

Well, almost.

Yongsun instinctively looked at the door wondering if she would come. She hasn’t seen Byul the past few days so she wasn’t able to remind her about the meeting.

After a few more minutes there is still no sign of Moon Byul.

Yongsun sighed. I think she won’t be coming.

She was disappointed but did not want to dwell in that feeling. She wore her ever bright smile and walk in front of the room. She greeted everyone and then proceeded to the meeting. She oriented the members about some rules the school imposed, she also explained about the funding, and her planned activities. She also gave them some background information of the institution they are helping.

Yongsun divided the team into four groups. They will alternately work so they can still have a free weekend for themselves.

Yongsun told the first team to come at the same place next week’s Saturday. After some inquiries and clarifications, she finished the meeting.

She was fixing her things when she heard a knock. She looked at the door and saw a smiling Hyejin walking towards her.

“So, how was the meeting?” She asked while she put her things at a table while sitting on the chair near it.

Yongsun beamed at her. “It was great. Everyone is so cooperative. They gave lots of suggestions and feedbacks it’s quite overwhelming.”

“Well, it’s not a surprise. I mean they would really try to interact and impress you. Knowing most of them joined because of you and not the charity work.” Hyejin said smirking at Yongsun.

Yong weirdly looked at her friend. “Hyejinnie I think you’re reaching. I don’t think it like that. Besides I am not that popular or pretty for everyone to like me.”

Hyejin rolled her eyes at her. It is quite obvious that some of those who joined are really into her. She doesn’t know if Yongsun is just genuinely oblivious or just being in denial.

Yongsun sighed as she drops her things at the table in front of Hyejin.

“What was that for?” Hyejin asked with a raised eyebrow.

Yongsun sat opposite of her and rests her hands at the table in front of them. “Moon Byul didn’t show up. She missed the meeting and I don’t know how to inform her of the details. I don’t have any of her contact information.”

Hyejin scoffed. “Aren’t you too invested to her? I understand that Mr Kim ask you to “help” her. But if she doesn’t want to participate, let her be and just pass her in that evaluation thing.”

“You know I can’t do that. Mr Kim trusts me enough to look out for her.” Yongsun said without looking at Hyejin. Given the circumstances, Hyejin is right. She could just pass her that evaluation thing and everything’s done. But deep down, she really wanted to know her and this activity is the only way that Moon Byul would let her interact with her, at some point. “She needs someone to be her friend.”

Hyejin leaned on the table. “Yongsun can you stop making her your charity work? I didn’t mind the first time you talk to her because I knew you didn’t know her. But the second time in the hallway? To talk to her as if she’s one of those normal students out there who doesn’t have violent tendencies. Why would you want to associate yourself with a potential psychopath?”

Yongsun looked at her as if she’s offended. “Hyejin… your words, don’t you think that’s a little bit harsh?”

“Beating a person until they bleed is a lot harsher.”

“She was provoked. You saw it. And if she is the type of person that would just randomly beat up people she could have beat me then when I approach her. But she didn’t. I saw a different side of her Hyejinnie. She is not a vicious person.”

Hyejin leaned back to her seat, arms crossed over her chest. “You can’t be sure in that assessment using a less than ten minute interaction.”

“And you can’t assess a person based on hearsay either.” Yongsun is getting frustrated of their conversation.

“It’s not hearsay if I actually saw it.”

“What you saw is a person acting out due to extreme emotion caused by provocation.” Yongsun slowly leaned to the table as she speaks.

Hyejin’s eyebrows scrunched as she looks at Yongsun with a mixture of confusion and frustration. “Why are you defending her so much?”

“Because I think everyone is so judgemental and unfair to her, including you.” Yongsun looked at Hyejin with a hint of sadness and disappointment.

Hyejin sighed and reached for Yongsun’s hand and looked at her with a softer expression. “Yong you have a golden heart. You are the kindest person I know. And that makes me scared because there are a lot of bad people who may take advantage of you. I don’t want you to get hurt…… That Moon Byul is a trouble and associating yourself with her is like inviting harm.”

Yongsun can totally feel the genuine concern Hyejin have for her. The worry she sees in her eyes melts her heart. So despite not agreeing in Hyejin’s perception of Byul, she decided to appease her.

“I can’t just drop her now….. But don’t worry, I’ll be careful.” Yongsun said with a little smile. She slightly squeezes Hyejin’s hand to assure her.

Yongsun totally understand Hyejin’s intentions. It warms her heart and she’s thankful for her genuine concern. But there is a part of her that is already consumed by her curiosity of Moon Byul and she knows she wouldn’t be at peace if she won’t feed it. There is no use of batting it when she knows she can’t defeat it.

I just want to get to know her……. And befriend her. It’s not a big deal.

***********************

Yongsun was in deep thought while she’s on her way home. The small argument she had with Hyejin earlier is affecting her so much. She really does understand Hyejin’s reasoning but she can’t help but feel sad. That time she talked to Byul, she saw how she was caught off guard by her goofy-friendly approach. How she became unsure and confused, then defensive and guarded. It almost seem like she was not used talking casually to people.

The car stopped pulling Yongsun out of her thoughts. She looked outside and she realized they arrive home. She thanked their driver before she went outside the car and made her way inside the house. She stepped in and made her way towards the stairs when she suddenly stopped. She smelt a familiar aroma coming from the kitchen. She immediately went on her way over and she saw the back of a woman who’s facing the stove and she instantly recognizes her. She dropped her things in the Kitchen Island and run towards her giving her a back hug.

The woman was taken aback but instantly relaxes when she heard the voice of the person hugging her.

“You’re home.” Yongsun hugged her tighter. “I miss you mom.”

The woman giggled. “I know. I can absolutely feel it through your hug.” She turned to kiss Yongsun’s head. “I miss you too Sunshine.”

Yongsun smiled at her mom and let go. She sat at one of the stools at the counter.

“How’s school?” Her mom while stirring the food she’s cooking.

“School is great. I am leading the Volunteer team this year. We had a meeting earlier and I’m quite excited with our plans.” Yongsun said enthusiastically.

Her mom turned to her. “Wouldn’t it take too much of your time? I love that you are very active at anything related to school, but baby I want you also to have fun. Not too much fun though, just enough fun.”

Yongsun laughed. She knows exactly what her mom is trying to say. “I am enjoying the things I do mom, you don’t need to worry. I do have fun.”

Her mom hummed her response. She walked to Yongsun and leaned on the counter towards her. “You meet some new people? Have some new friends? Boy friends?” Her mom asked smiling at her suggestively.

“New people…….” Yongsun suddenly thought of Moon Byul. She can’t help but smile when she remembered their talk at the hallway. She bit her lip trying not to chuckle when she thought of her confused face.

“With that smile and contained laughter I assume that you do.” Her mom said with squinted eyes and a smile.

Yongsun playfully rolled her eyes. “I meet new people most of the time mom. And as a leader of our volunteer group of course I’m going to have new friends.”

“Okay.” Her mom said with a teasing smile as she turns to continue her cooking.

Yongsun watch her mom manoeuvre at their kitchen. She feels so happy whenever they could all be together. Even for just a simple meal. Her parents are so busy that they often go to different places for their dealings. They don’t have much time to spend with Yongsun as she grows up. But despite the limited time they share, Yongsun saw their unlimited efforts to show her how much they love her. Even without their presence, she never felt abandoned. She just hopes that sometimes they would take a rest. They’ve been working so hard.

“Are you staying home for the weekend?” Yongsun asked being hopeful.

Her mom turned and gave her a sad smile. “I’m sorry my Sunshine, but we can’t. Dad and I need to leave early tomorrow. Dad needs to attend a meeting at lunch and I need to attend the branch opening in Japan.”

Yongsun smiled at her mom. “It’s okay mom. At least you went home to have dinner with me... And speaking of, where’s dad?”

“He’s upstairs sleeping. Can you wake him up for me honey? I’ll be done soon so we could eat.”

“Sure.” Yongsun picked up her things and made her way upstairs.

She went her way with excited steps. She can’t contain her happiness. They are going to eat dinner together after a month of her parents being not home. Although she is a little bit sad that their time together won’t be that long, Yongsun decided to set aside her negative feeling and enjoy every precious minute they’re going to spend together.

********************************

Moon Byul was contemplating about going to the meeting that whole morning. She never wanted to be in a crowd of people who will only sneer and talk behind her back. It irritates her most and she doesn’t want to cause a scene and have additional punishment.

On the other hand, she wants to make sure she will pass that evaluation . She is wondering if her threat to Kim Yongsun worked, she hope it does. But the way that annoying girl talked to her, she doubts that the girl feared her. The way she smiled at her…..

What if she smiles at me again? I don’t want to see her.

To solve her dilemma, Moon Byul decided not to go to school that day and went to Hani’s house instead, Which is a good thing because she was able to know that Hani is finally back.

They spent the whole morning talking and teasing each other. Hani shared that she is with a girl the whole time she was gone. Something that is not surprising since girls never leave her thoughts.

Her attention went to Byul when she realizes something.

“Why are you here? Aren’t you supposed to be at school?” She asked Byul.

“Don’t want to be there.”

“Why?” Jin suddenly becomes serious, “is someone threatening you there?”

“No. It’s not like that. I just don’t want to go.” Byul answered not looking at him.

Her answer is quite vogue and she is being uneasy. With squinted eyes, Hani leaned closer to her. “WHY?”

“There is no specific reason. I just don’t feel like attending my classes.” Byul said still avoiding eye contact.

“Why do I feel like you are not being totally honest right now?” Ken looked at her with suspicion.

All of them looked at Byul in silence seemingly waiting for her to tell more. The silence and their attention focused on her make her feel cornered.

Byul grunted. “It’s about the volunteering thing. There is a meeting this afternoon and I don’t want to go.”

“Then don’t go to the meeting. But why are you skipping your classes too?” Sanduel asked.

“I just don’t want any chances to bump with the leader of the volunteer team. She might remind me of the meeting or worse drag me in there.” Byul said frowning.

“You said that students at your school are scared of you… How that person can ‘drag’ you if you don’t want to go?”

“She is persistent. She is not scared of me. Heck! She even smiles at me as if we’re friends. Don’t want to talk to her so better to avoid her. Her smile is annoying.”

Hani smirked. “Is she pretty? Be honest.”

Byul pictured Yongsun in her head. Her round eyes, chubby cheeks, and those little dimples that appears at the corner of her lips when she smiles. “Y-Yeah.”

Hani snorted.

“What?” Byul asked her.

“You have a crush on her.” Hani chuckled.

The three guys looked at Byul a little bit shocked and then they all started laughing.

Byul frowned at them. “I just told you that her smile is annoying and you are saying I have a crush on her? Hell, NO!”

“Come on Byul.” Jin still chuckling, “you didn’t go to school because of a girl you’re crushing on? Are you in kindergarten?”

“Our baby Byulie is having a crushie.” Ken cooed with a faked baby voice.

Byul’s frown deepened. “I told you, I DON’T have a crush on her. I just don’t want to deal with her. For all I know, she might just be one of those fake plastic witches out there who are trying so hard to do what is told to keep their perfect image.” She didn’t really think of Yongsun like that. She does not exude that kind of aura.

“Maybe true, or maybe not. You wouldn’t know. Just get the chance.” Hani said.

“Get the chance to what?” Byul snorted.

“Romance”. Jin answered cackling.

Byul glared at him. While Hani smiled.

“I’m referring to the volunteering thing. It’ll keep you busy plus you’ll manage to avoid those guys who are targeting us. And besides, you have no choice but to participate. Just do it and get done.”

Byul sighed. Hani’s right. She has no other option but to participate considering that Kim Yongsun seem so serious about the activity. She might really fail her in that evaluation.

******************************

Yongsun just finished her morning classes and on her way to the cafeteria where Hyejin is waiting for her. Weekend seem to pass by so quickly. After the dinner she had with her parents, they watched a movie. They would still want to watch one more when she told them they need to rest and sleep. When she woke up the next morning, they already left. She saw a cat shaped pancake on the kitchen counter and a note that singed, mom and dad. Yongsun can’t help but smile. She has thoughtful parents.

She rounded the corner to the hallway that leads to the exit at the back of the building. There are only few students who use this exit. This is a shortcut Yongsun takes since the cafeteria is located at the back of the main building.

She’s few steps away from the glass door when someone suddenly grabbed her and drags her at the bottom of the fire exit stairs. She was so shocked that she didn’t have time to react. The person let her go and she’s about to scream when they covered to shush her.

“Do not shout.” The person said while they have their index finger in their lips as sign for Yongsun to keep quiet.

Yongsun instantly calmed down when she saw who the person is.

“Moon Byul you scared me!” Yongsun said.

Byul just scoffed at her. She looked at the surroundings if there are people who could possibly see them. When she saw that there are no other people she became relaxed. She put both of her hands in her pocket as she face Yongsun.

“Why didn’t you come to the meeting?” Yongsun asked with raised eyebrows.

“I have things to do.” She said with a neutral expression.

“And that is?”

“None of your business.”

Yongsun unconsciously pouted and rolled her eyes at her. Byul was amused seeing Yongsun’s frustration over her answer. She looked like a bratty kid having tantrums.

Adorable.

Byul realize what she thought and shook her head a little to get rid of it.

She sighed and got all serious. “How exactly can I actively participate with this volunteering thing?”

“Well, you can just simply come with us to teach the kids in the orphanage. We teach them basic writing and reading, sports, music, you can teach on the field that you think you’re good at and you can share some of your personal experiences to the kids to inspire them.” Yongsun smiling her eyes becoming two crescents that sparkles.

Byul cleared to distract herself from staring too long. “Is there a way that I can participate without having surrounded by any other people?”

“Huh? Why?” Yongsun asked her voice laced with so much curiosity.

“I don’t like being around with a lot of people.”

“Why?”

Byul looked at her directly without changing her expression. “I believe that I do not need to explain anything and everything about me Ms Kim.”

Yongsun frowned at that. She felt a little bit embarrassed. She bit her lip and avoided eye contact.

Yongsun heaved a sigh. “Okay. Just go to the vacant classroom where the meeting was held this coming Saturday.”

Yongsun turned and she’s about to leave when Byul hold her arm to stop her. The simple skin to skin contact caused a lot of disturbances to Moon Byul both physically and emotionally, while Yongsun had goosebumps and a tingling sensation in her stomach. It’s so weird.

“I told you I don’t want to work with other people.”

Yongsun looked at Byul. “I believe that is your problem that you wanted to keep.”

“Just task me with something else.” Byul said trying to mask her irritation. Yongsun is not easy to intimidate and it’s frustrating for Byul how it seem like she is having full control of the situation.

Yongsun turned to her and crossed her arms. “If I do that it would seem like I am biased when this is supposedly your punishment. And to consider that it was a request from you, you could have at least been polite enough to act and to ask properly.”

Byul clenches her jaw. This irritating girl is seriously taking the upper hand and she can’t do anything about it. It could have been a lot easier if she’s one of those fools who fear her. But then she could have expected this since it was obvious from the very beginning that she is different from the rest.

Byul took a breath and then she sighed. She needs to calm herself if she wanted to convince Ms irritating girl to grant her demands.

“Ms Kim… can you PLEASE give me a task that does not require for me to work with other people?” Byul said it slowly and softly with a very serious expression.

Yongsun tried so hard not to smile but she eventually did. She like that she can actually make the scary Moon Byul to obey her. Not to mention how she looks so cute while sulking right now.

“Are you making fun of me?” Byul asked Yongsun totally annoyed.

“Nope.” Yongsun stepped closer to Byul while still smiling. “Friday afternoon after class go to the vacant classroom…. If you do not show up I’ll consider you absent, a minus to your attendance.”

Byul took a step back. “Okay.”

“Good. I’m going. My best friend is waiting for me at the cafeteria. You should also have your lunch now.” Yongsun turned to go but after taking a few steps, she stopped and turned to Byul.

“Bye Byul! See you!”

Yongsun was long gone but Byul is still standing there dumbfounded.

Bye Byul?

See you?

What the was that?

Byul was confused as to why it makes her feel so weird. Why that simple statement has a profound effect on her. Maybe because outside her friendship with Jin, Ken, Sanduel, and Hani, this is the first time a person has implied that they look forward on seeing her again. It’s a new feeling and its unfamiliarity is a little bit scary. She doesn’t know how Yongsun can do that to her.

The day passed as boring as usual and so as the rest of the week. Byul was able to let loose solely at the company of her friends. They would often play online games but they mostly bond through one thing they all absolutely love…. And that is food. Sanduel is the one who is best at preparing any dishes and he would often brag about it. He told them once that he dreamed of being a chef and to have his own restaurant but it seem that it would only remain a dream. Byul offered her help by lending him a capital to start off but he refuse saying he is not knowledgeable enough to handle a business. He, Ken, and Jin didn’t go to university because of the lack of finances. They earn just enough to sustain they’re daily needs with some to spare for their personal needs.

Hani, on the other hand, had attended university for the first semester but she dropped out after the accident involving her parents. She realizes studying in the university is not for her and decided to continue her parents business with the aid of her uncle.

Byul would often have her dinner at Hani’s house and would just go home to sleep. She hasn’t seen her father after their last encounter and Byul doesn’t seem to think about it that much. This is best for both of them since they bring nothing but distress towards each other.

Friday came and Byul is waiting for Yongsun at the side of the vacant classroom. She didn’t give a specific time and Byul just decided to come right after her afternoon classes expecting Yongsun to be there but she isn’t. Byul scratched her ears out of annoyance. She does not have the patience to wait and Yongsun is taking a long time to arrive.

Without much choice, Byul waited at the side of the building. Ten minutes later she saw Yongsun walking towards the building’s direction carrying a bunch of books.

Yeah. Of course Ms Kim is studious. Byul thought rolling her eyes.

Yongsun seem like she hadn’t seen her. She fumbled with her keys and opened the door. She went inside and Moon Byul immediately followed her shutting the door loudly surprising Yongsun that she actually shrieked. She turned to see Moon Byul biting her lip obviously trying to hide her laugh.

She felt initially upset but seeing Moon Byul unconsciously loose herself a little erased that negative feeling.

“It’s NOT funny.” Yongsun said glaring at Byul.

“Yeah. No one is laughing.”

“I can totally see and hear you laughing in your head.” Yongsun said rolling her eyes at Byul.

She went to the nearest table to put down her things. Byul looked around the room and she noticed the large boxes piled up in the corner.

“What are those boxes for?”

Yongsun turned to her. “It contains school supplies that will be distributed to the kids tomorrow.”

She went to the boxes and tried to lift the ones on the top of the pile but it’s heavy. She looked at Byul and motioned her to come and help her. Byul did so and they put the boxes down one by one.

“What now?” Byul asked Yongsun while the latter is busy counting the boxes.

“We are going to repack these. In one expanded envelope, it should contain one notebook, one pad paper, one box of crayons, two pencils, and one sharpener.” Yongsun explained and Byul seem focused in remembering every information.

“Hmm… It’s so simple.” Byul said as she started opening the boxes.

Yongsun smirked. “We have to repack at least a hundred and fifty.”

Byul abruptly looked at Yongsun. “What? How many?”

Yongsun slowly walked towards her. “ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY.” She said emphasizing each word.

“That’s a lot. And we are going to finish it just the two of us? This task requires more people.” Byul said as put her hands on her waist clearly annoyed.

“You ask me to give you a task where you do not work with other people. This is it. Or would you want me to call the other volunteers?”

Byul glared at Yongsun while she just raised her eyebrows at her. They had a glaring contest for a while until Byul was the one to break the eye contact and roughly scratched her ear out of frustration.

Yongsun bit her lip to hide her smile. “Let’s start, shall we?”

“Whatever.”

Byul pick up an expanded envelope and started sorting. Yongsun does the same and they worked in total silence. Yongsun would sometimes steal glances at Byul sitting in the middle of the boxes and would catch some small details about her that are so adorable. How she would scrunch her nose when she get a whip of the scent of the paper, or on how her eyebrows would scrunch when she gets confused and recheck the contents of the envelope. She looks so serene and in total comfort of their silence. Yongsun even considered the thought that the Byul she saw in the parking lot in that afternoon is a fever dream.

“Quit staring Ms Kim.”

Yongsun jolted as she heard her speak breaking the silence.

“Can you stop calling me Ms Kim and just call me by my name?”

Byul looked at her. “No.”

Yongsun frowned at her. Byul continued sorting and after a minute of silence Yongsun spoke again.

“Can I ask you a question?”

“No.” Byul immediately answered.

“What are your favourites? Any food, movie or music you can recommend?”

Silence…

“How about sports? Do you play any sport?”

Silence…

“Where do you usually hangout?”

Still silence…

“Why don’t you want to be with a lot of people?”

Byul closed her eyes and sighed. This girl never fails to annoy her with her persistence. She decided not to answer her and just continued on her task.

“Don’t you want to make friends with anyone?”

“No.”

“Why?”

Byul dropped the things she’s holding and faced Yongsun. Her expression is full of annoyance.

“Just because I don’t want to! I don’t want to associate myself with judgemental superficial people! Do you think those people would be happy if they know I am part of the volunteer team? No! They would talk behind my back and would even try to convince you to kick me out! They would tell you how much of a horrible person I am! I don’t want to be around them because I am so ing tired of their bull!” Byul said with a slightly raised voice.

Yongsun was taken aback by Byul’s sudden outburst.

Byul inhaled and sighed before she speaks again. “Ms Kim, I am not interested in building any kind of relationship with anyone in here… and now that you’ve got my answer, shall we continue working?”

She turned to continue her task and so does Yongsun but after minutes of silence Byul realizes her outburst and secretly took a glance at Yongsun’s direction. She was pouting and her aura became gloomy and her round eyes look so sad. She felt a little guilty and the girl’s sad aura right now is bothering her. She does not like it and the fact that she caused it is making her uncomfortable.

After a few more minutes Yongsun is still sulking and it’s giving Byul discomfort and a growing frustration. She normally does not care what other people feel as much as they don’t care about hers so she can’t explain why she is so affected with Yongsun’s gloomy mood. She needs to do something about it for her inner peace.

She scratched her ear while thinking of what she could do to get Yongsun back to her mood. She stole side glances at her while still thinking when she was hit with an idea.

She turned to face Yongsun. “Do you like ice cream?”

Yongsun looked at Byul and saw that she was looking at her with a serious expression. She didn’t know if she heard her right or she was just imagining things.

Did she really ask me if I like ice cream?

She was still looking at Byul without saying anything trying to determine if what she heard is real or it was just part of her imagination which is a possibility since she day dreams a lot.

“Why are you not answering me?”

“Huh?”

“I said, do you like ice cream?” Byul said her facial expression still serious.

“Y-yeah.” Yongsun answered her a little sceptical. She just had an outburst earlier and now she is asking her that question. She is still trying to process the most random question from the person she least expect to ask her.

Byul hummed and nodded a little. She continued doing her work.

“I like chocolate flavoured ice cream a lot.” She said as she looks at her again for a few seconds and then turning to continue doing her work again.

Yongsun soon realized what Byul is trying to do and she can’t help her smile and secretly giggled. She looked up and saw Byul is looking at her with an unreadable expression.

Yongsun softly smiled at her turning her round eyes into sparkling crescents making Byul’s breath hitched. Her smile is really annoyingly beautiful.

“Me too. But I like the strawberry flavour more.”

Byul hummed as her response. Her expression is relaxed and Yongsun could swear she saw an almost smile at the corner of her lips.

They continued working with a lot more comfort than earlier. The silence somehow gave them a comfortable aura enclosing them. They would often still glances at each other. Yongsun bit her lip as she thought about Byul’s outburst earlier. The words she said hurt her not because she took offense on Byul’s words but because on how Byul view majority of the people around her including Yongsun. She obviously does not trust everyone. She remembered the rumours and stories circulating around the campus about her. How she was painted in the minds of everyone as a dangerous person based on the negative narratives that have been passed on from one person to another.

She understands Byul’s reason why she’s guarded so she can’t help to wish that if Byul would just let her in to her world she would show her that she is also worthy of being a trusted friend.