So that's Moon Byul

When the Sun shines

Monday. A dreaded day to almost every student but Yongsun. She is always been enthusiastic about her university life. And now that her final year have come, she is excited. After years of hardwork she is now one step closer in getting her degree.

Just two more semesters and I'm done. She thought with a smile on her face. I can do it.

Her past three years in the university seems like a blur to Yongsun. She focused herself in studying and acheiving small goals she had set along the way. She never allowed herself to get distracted by some activities her colleagues and fellow student indulge in. Sure she had attended some cool parties and participated in some fun activities but she is always loyal to her priorities.

As she enter the school's hallway, she is welcomed by the familiar chaotic scene of students chatting and laughing catching up with there friends about how they had spent there break. Some greet her as she pass by them and she greet them back with a wave and a polite smile. She doesn't know most of them, but surprisinly for Yongsun, they know her. For a likeable person like her, it is not supposed to be a surprise. But Yongsun seem to not realize how she is admired by many.

"YONGSUN!!!"

The hallway goes completely silent because of that scandalous scream. Everyone is looking at her back so she turned to see who can that be although she already have an idea. And her guess is right 'cause standing in the hallway a few meters from her is none other than, Hyejin. She clear and everyone looks away and continue their conversation. Yongsun can't help but smirk at the woman. Hyejin make her way towards her wearing her famous poker face. Yongsun can't help but to admire how attractive her bestfriend is. With her long black hair, y physique, and seductive aura she is really stunning. No wonder a large margin of the male population of thier university has the hots for her. The main reason why most of the females doesn't like her. Who cares? Hyejin is unbothered.

"I swear Yongsun, you are deaf."Hyejin said as soon as she reach Yongsun. She has been calling her name multiple times and Yong doesn't seem to hear her resulting for her to scream.

"Oh sorry Hyejinnie. I was a little bit distracted by some students who is greeting me." Yongsun smiled at her as she hook her arm around Hyejin's.

Hyejin rolled her eyes. "You don't have to greet them all back. You are not a politician."

"But that would be impolite." Yongsun's mom told her to always be polite since she was a kid.

Hyejin kept her straight face and started walking to her class. Dragging an ever so smiley Yongsun with her.

"Okay... It is the first day of our last year here in university. Why is your face like that?" Yongsun can't help but to notice Hyejin's not so excited expression.

"Because I'm beautiful." Hyejin answered with her bored tone.

Yongsun rolled her eyes. "The expression, I mean."

"Yong.. There are people who are not excited when it comes to academic studies and I am one of them." Hyejin turn her head to look at Yong. "You KNOW that."

"Oh come on. It's not that bad. Besides it is our last year. You'll miss this when we graduate."

"The only thing I'll miss about my university life are the boys, parties, and some... girls." Hyejin smiled cheekily at Yongsun. She's always been open about a lot of things even with her romantic prospect. Hyejin is experimental. Her way to weight some undertermined things is to try all of her options. Yongsun is always been supportive of her. Her open minded nature have given her the capability of accepting things, even if she doesn't fully understand. She always have respect to other people's opinions and feelings.

"Hmmm... Not surprised. They're the ones you enjoy so much." Yongsun said and smiled teasingly.

Hyejin giggled.

They walk until they reach the end of the hallway.

"My classes are at the second floor. Please tell me you have classes after lunch." Yongsun said with a hopeful expression.

"Unfortunately.... yes." Hyejin answered.

Yongsun beamed at her, "Great! See you at lunch!" she said as she walk to the stairs. She was at the third step when she turned.

"Hyejinnie, enjoy your class" and winked at her.

Hyejin rolled her eyes. "No thanks."

Yongsun is already in the second flight of stairs but she can still hear her friend's giggle as she round the corner.

***************************************

She woke up earlier than expected in that morning. She is so excited for this day. She jump out of her bed and run to her parents bedroom to greet them good morning.

"Mommy, mommy! Wake up! It's my birthday!!" Her mom stirred and giggled as the kid continued to pounce on the bed.

"Okay, okay.. Calmed down little hamzi. Mommy's awake now." Her mom said as she hold her arm and pulled her for a cuddle. The little girl wiggled out of her moms embrace and sat down.

"Mom you have to get up. You're going to buy me a cake." Her mom smiled at her and kiss her cheek.

"It is still early. The cake shop won't open till 9 am baby." Her mom get out of bed and went to the bathroom to fix herself. She returned and sat down at the bed taking the now 5 yr old kid on her lap.

"Are you ready for your party later?" her mom asked her.

"Yes. But I'm more excited about my cake. Is it a unicorn? You promised me a cake with a unicorn." The little kid pouted.

Her mom chuckled. "Of course. I want my little Hamzi to be happy on her birthday."

"yey! I love you mommy.."

Her mom smiled so beautifully. "I love you too baby."

Then they heard some noises downstairs. Her mom wondered what could that be. She put the kid at the bed and told her to stay there and went downstairs to check. After a few minutes she rushed back to the room and picked up the kid. She looked frantic and nervous as she open the storage closet where they keep the extra beddings and put down the kid there.

"Mommy what is happening?" The kid asked clearly confused about her mom's action.

"Baby, listen to me carefully.. Stay here and do not get out. Okay? Do not get out until I say so. Promise me." Her mom's voice is shaky.

"I promise." The kid said raising her right hand.

Her mom hugged her so tight and whispered to her a series of I love you's.

Her mom tucked her inside and closed the closet door. After a few seconds she can her the bedroom door being opened agreesively and she can hear her mom's voice talking to someone.

Then she heard a sound that shocked her and made her heart stop. Her breathing became shallow because of the closed space. She slightly open the door and saw her mom on the ground and a man standing her. He raised the metal thing in his hand and pointed it at her mom. And then she heard it again. The sound.

BANG! BANG!

Byul jolted awake at the sound of her alarm. Her breathing is ragged and she is covered in sweat. Those horrible dreams never stop. It's always been haunting her. She is supposed to be used to it for it occurs every night for years now, but she isn't. She can still feel the dread, the adrenaline, and the terror. She sigh as she shakes her head.

those dreams. She went out of the bed and proceeded to the bathroom to prepare for class.

The house is quiet as it always been. It was once full of life and the aura was used to be happy and light. She knew that, but she can't even remember how it felt like. As she grow up this space has increasingly become colder for her. It bacame more like a hallow building she slept in rather a comfortable home to stay in. She is distant to every other people who live there. And they seem to pick up her silent rule because no one dared to approach her or talk to her.

She heard someone cleared their throat as she descend the stairs. She didn't paid attention and acted as if she didn't hear them and continued to walk towards the door. But before she reach it the person spoke.

"Byul." A rough manly voice called her out.

She turned slightly to look at the person who is sitting at the bar counter in the corner of the living room. The man looked at her sternly and she just give him her steely expression.

"It's your last year in university, I expect you to lessen those ed up things that you do and stay out of trouble. You can't risk your final year. You have to graduate you have no other option."

Byul scoffed. "Don't you think it's hypocritical for a ed up person who have done a lot of ed up things to comment about someone else's ed ups."

The man's gaze grew sharp. "Stop talking to me like that!" He snarled. "You are so ungrateful. Your hate towards me won't change anything."

Byul completely turned to face the man. "I am not trying to change anything." She took one step forward, her gaze sharp and unrelenting. "You should be relieved that I hate you, at least I still have some spared feelings for you."

They glared at each other before Byul turned and walk towards the door and out of that house.

Her mood soured up and her morning is ruined. She always try her best to avoid encounters with her father. The man brought nothing but negative feelings to her. She somehow remember when why their relationship become like that. When she was a kid, after the tragedy hit their family, her father had become a stranger to her. He became irresponsible, irrational, and angry. As a kid, she felt hurt whenever her father is angry and shout curses at her. She would often run to her room and cry on her bed. But as she grow old, the fear she felt towards her father slowly turned to anger. She would purposely defy him as if she is challenging him. She would do all the things that he hates, for his frustrations and anger seem to satisfy her revengeful heart. Until that one unforgettable night when she was sixteen, her father may have reached his limit for after she answered him disrepectfully again, he slapped her hard. The force knocked her. In a moment, it does not just numb her cheeks but also her heart. And as she began to feel the stinging pain on her face and the tears on her cheek, she also felt the emergence of pure hatred towards the man.

She reached the garage and uncovered her motorcycle. She got it right after she was granted an access to an account her mom had made for her. It is the only possession that she has and she value it so much. She revved the engine and went out leaving her most hated place.

********************************

She reached the school and as she walk the hallway, some students threw side glances at her. She have this reputation being the epitome of trouble. But despite that, there are some people who tried to befriend her but never succeeded for she can always see what's behind their mask. Their facade never worked on her and she would always say it directly to them. She'd rather be alone that to be with the company of fake people.

She went through her classes for that morning sitting at the corner of the classroom feeling like she's dying out of boredom.

When the lunch time came she felt relieved to get out of that room. She immediately went to the parking lot to get her motorcycle.

Yongsun has been trying to switch her car engine for already fifteen minutes but she still have no luck. She checked the gasoline level and it is still good. She tried a couple more times before she gave up. Sighing, she went out of the car intending to wait for Hyejin and ask her help. She turned to her right and saw a silver haired girl walking to her direction. The girl stopped beside the expensive looking motorcycle parked beside her car.

Yongsun doesn't think twice, or doesn't think at all, before she approach the girl.

"Uh.. Excuse me.," Yongsun slightly tilt her head just to catch the stranger's gaze.

The girl looked at her and she got easily distracted by her looks. Her long silver hair framed her beautiful face and peircing brown eyes. Her cute nose nicely complemented the shape of her lips. And despite the frown present on her face, she is indeed good-looking.

Byul was waiting for the girl to speak but didn't continue and just stood there looking at her and that irritated the hell out of her. She won't waste her time standing there so she straddled her motorcycle and started the engine.

Yongsun was alerted at the sound. She saw that the girl is about to leave.

"Wait!" Yongsun exclaimed.

"What?" Byul answered. Annoyance can be heard on her tone.

"Well, my car won't start up. Can you please help me with it?" Yongsun smiled at her to make things light 'cause she is now aware that the girl seems to be in a bad mood.

The girl's smile is pretty but somehow bothering to Byul. It took her a couple of seconds before she could give her an answer.

"No." She said in a serious face and a serious tone. She revved her motorcycle and drive off.

Yongsun was shocked by the girl's behaviour. She hasnt encountered someone like her before and it is her first time to be treated like that. Everyone was so nice to her. Yongsun cant help her pout as turned towards her car.

"Yong!"

She looked up to see Hyejin rushing towards her

 "I saw that! Gosh! Your friendlyness have no boundaries. You really talked to her!" Hyejin said her eyes getting bigger at each word.

"Why?" Yongsun was confused. "Do you know her?"

Hyejin looked at her in disbelief.

"Yongsun..... THAT is Moon Byul."

Moon Byul. Sounds familiar. Yongsun tried to remember where did she possibly heard that name.

Hyejin watched her bestfriend as she seem to scan her mind of who could be that Moon Byul is.

Yongsun's eyes slightly grew wide as a thought hit her. Moon Byul, the name who's always associated with negative adjectives when talked about.

"So.... she's the Moon Byul" Yongsun said mostly to her self. She just heard her name multiple times in the hallway when students talk about her with every issue she was involve in like how she curses a professor, beat a guy classmate, her possibly taking illegal drugs and a lot more. She never saw her face and never knew how she look like. Well, not till this day. 

"Yep! And now that you realized who that girl is, can we go?" Hyejin reached the car door to open.

Yongsun smiled at her sweetly.

"My car won't start up."

Hyejin rolled her eyes as she curses internally. She is so damn hungry.

"Then we'll take a cab." She turned and with Yongsun they made their way out the school.

 

 

Authors Note:

Hello. This is my first time to write a story so you may see a lot of imperfection. I am more than happy to take constructive criticisms to help improve my writing in the future. And also, English is not my native language so there may some grammatical errors. Please be patient with me. And thank you in advance to those who'll read.

xoxo