Can I Hug You?

When the Sun shines

Hyejin was slightly confused that morning when she saw Yongsun skipping her way to her and greeting her good morning with a hug. It's just that the other day, Yongsun was gloomy and sad, so the sudden shift made her wonder where did Yongsun go when she borrowed her car.

                "What happened?" Hyejin asked.

                Yongsun looked at her and smiled. "I talked to Byulyi, and we're okay now."

                Hyejin was surprised. "You found her?"

                "Yeah," Yongsun answered with a nod.

                "Where?"

                Yongsun hesitated before she answered her. "In her place."

                Hyejin was about to inquire more, but Yongsun spoke again, sharing minimal information about her talk with Byul.

                Their day went on with little things to do. They were just finishing some things and finalizing some of their requirements before the semester ended. Hyejin told Yongsun that she asked Wheein out on a date which is not a surprise for Yongsun since Hyejin has always admired the pretty girl.

                They saw Wheein with Byul at the parking, seemingly waiting for someone. Wheein perked up when she saw them coming prompting Byul to look in their direction. Yongsun gave her a small smile, and Byul gave it in return but was a little reserved.

                "Byulyi will take Yongsunnie home," Wheein said when they reached them. She immediately had her arms hooked on Hyejin.

                Byul sighed, "Be careful," she said, throwing a quick glance at Hyejin, seemingly saying as a warning than a concern.

                Wheein smiled at her, nodded, then dragged a confused Hyejin toward her car.

                Byul looked at Yongsun, whose eyes were squinted while looking at her. Byul raised her eyebrows, silently asking her why she was looking at her like that.

                "Did you just threaten her?" Yongsun asked.

                "Who?" Byul playing innocent.

                Yongsun rolled her eyes at her. "Hyejinnie."

                "Did you hear me threaten her?"

                Yongsun pursed her lip. “No…”

                Byul shrugged her shoulders a little. "Then I didn't."

                Yongsun crossed her arms. "It kind of sounds like it."

                Byul gave her a lopsided grin as she walked to her truck's passenger side and opened the door. Yongsun got in, and Byul went to the other side and got in. As she started the engine, Yongsun turned in her seat to fully face her.

                "You're totally okay with Wheein and Hyejin dating, right?" Yongsun asked.

                Byul looked at her. "Wheein seems to like her a lot, and she is your friend, so I think it's fine."

                "Glad you thought of it that way."

                "Seatbelt, please," Byul said as she drove off.

                "Hyejin has been crushing on Wheein since they first met." Yongsun said smiling.

                "So, your friend date girls?" Byul asked.

                Yongsun rolled her eyes at that question. "Byulyi, she went on a date with Wheein, which is a girl, so she obviously dates girls."

                Byul unconsciously pursed her lip as she pondered a thought.

                "She always gives a chance to those she connects with or feels attracted to. And there's a lot of them. She's going on dates left and right with both genders."

                Byul hummed. "How about you?"

                Yongsun's eyebrows knitted. "What about me?"

                "Went on a lot of dates?"

                Yongsun chuckled. "No."

                Byul took a quick glance at her. "Really?"

                Yongsun nodded. "Yeah."

                "But how come? Everyone likes you. There are a lot who have a crush on you. And you have this entitled admirer." Byul said.

                Yongsun bit her lip. Well, I don't like any of them.

                "When someone would ask me, I'll just tell them I don't want to be in a relationship at the moment."

                "You would just flat-out reject them? Didn't even think of trying?" Byul's tone was laced with so much curiosity.

                "I don't want to give false hopes, Byulyi."

                "Didn't feel attracted to any of them?"

                "Nope."

                Byul took a quick towards her again with a raised eyebrow. "Wow, ma'am, you have high standards."

                Yongsun chuckled. "I don't… It's just that I don't think about dating that much."

                Byul slowly nodded.

                Yongsun turned to her. "How about you?"

                "I don't do dates, Yongsun."

                Yongsun smirked. "Of course, you don't. You're allergic to romance."

                Byul grinned. "Uh-huh. Don't hold it against me, Miss hopeless romantic."

                Yongsun huffed. "I’m not hopeless romantic.”

                “Really?”

                “Uh-huh.” Yongsun deadpanned.

                Byul hummed as she nodded. “Okay, Ms. One True Love.”

                Yongsun grunted.

                Byul chuckled.

                “But seriously though….”

                Yongsun touched her seatbelt, holding to it.

                “…you didn’t date anyone before?”

                “No,” Byul said and tapped the wheel, contemplating. “I’ve never had romantic relationships.”

                Yongsun hummed.

                Byul took a quick glance towards her. “Why are you asking me about my dating life?”

                Yongsun turned to her. “You asked me first.” Yongsun’s eyebrows knitted. “Why are you suddenly interested in my dating life?”

                Byul pursed her lip. “I’m just wondering why you are single. I mean, you’re….” Byul shrugged her shoulders, “you know….”

                Yongsun smiled. “No, Byulyi. I don’t know.”

                Byul sighed. “You’re almost perfect. You can make every person fall in love with you.”

                Yongsun bit her lip. I do? Can I make you fall in love with me too?

                Byul quickly glanced at Yongsun and saw her biting her lips buried in her thoughts. She didn’t say anything because she felt flustered and embarrassed about what she said. They spent the remaining time of their drive in silence.

 

 

                Ken has been keen on eyeing the people going in and out of the Game House. Particularly the group of guys who have distinct eye tattoo on their hands. They’ve been in the Game House a few nights, maybe trying their luck locating Jun. But this particular night has been different. The usual group of three has now become seven. They were seated, seemingly waiting for someone, when a man approached them. Ken was immediately intrigued since he recognized that one as one of Jun’s guys.

He was probably snitching.

After a couple of minutes of talking, the men went out. Ken immediately called in a co-worker to cover for him for a while, barely explaining why, and carefully followed the men who had just walked out. They entered a rundown apartment complex where most of the junkies would stay. They went to the fourth floor before the snitch pointed a door at the men. Ken stayed above the stairs hiding behind a wall, waiting for the men to walk out of the apartment unit. Approximately five minutes later, he saw them walk out empty-handed. They headed towards his direction, so he walked to the hallway adjacent to where they were and pretended to be drunk, trying to open his door. The men walked down the stairs, barely giving him attention. When they were gone, he went to the apartment unit they barged in. The place was tiny and messy. He figured that this may be where Jun was staying. The men thought that he might be hiding there. Ken turned to leave, but a piece of paper on the floor beside the bed caught his attention. He reached for it and flipped it. It was not a paper but a photograph of a kid and a woman.

 

                Byul knocked on Wheein’s door before she slowly opened it. Wheein looked up at her from the book she was reading. She instantly gave Byul one of her most endearing smiles.

“Can I come in?” Byul asked her with a soft smile.

“Sure,” Wheein closed her book and put it on her nightstand, “What’s up?”

Byul sat on the bed facing her. “Well, maybe you want to tell me a story… About your date.”

Wheein giggled. “Are you sure you want to know? It’s a romance thing.”

Byul shrugged her shoulders. “ I must endure the romance concept of it to know if I should trust Hyejin.”

Wheein gave her a genuine smile. “She’s a good person Byulyi.”

“Some people would only show you things about themselves that they wanted you to see.”

“That’s true. But Hyejin is also a friend of Yongsunnie, which is one indicator of her personality. There was a saying, tell me who your friends are, and I’ll tell you who you are.”

Byul hummed as she nodded. “Good point.”.

Byul looks at Wheein, and she can see how happy she is. She has the lightest aura emanating from here. She is glowing.

Byul smiled. “I still want to know the details, though.”

Wheein gave her a huge smile before she opened her arms. “Cuddle.”

Byul chuckled as she scooted closer to Wheein. She rested against the headboard of the bed and let Wheein hug her. She told Byul the details about her date with Hyejin. She described her feelings at random things that Hyejin would do or say. She also gave her full description of the places they went and the foods they ate. Byul would sometimes throw sarcastic and anti-romantic remarks that would earn a smack on her arm.

Wheein tilted her head to look at Byul. “Don’t you really like Hyejinnie?”

Byul sighed. “Wheennie, it’s not that I don’t like her. It’s just that I am being cautious. I don’t want you to get hurt. But if she makes you this happy, then I’ll support you. Your happiness is what matters to me.”

Wheein pouted before she smiled. “That is just so cheesy, Byulyi.”

Byul playfully rolled her eyes, prompting Wheein to giggle as she hugged Byul tighter. Wheein was about to suggest they watch a movie when Byul’s phone suddenly rang.

Byul took it out of her pocket and saw Ken was calling. She moved and pat Wheein, signaling her to let go.

“I’ll take this call,” she kissed Wheein on the head before she stood up, “don’t stay up too late.”

Wheein wished her goodnight before she closed the door. Byul answered the call as she walked to her room.

“Hey,”

“Where are you?” Ken asked her. His tone was so severe it made Byul curious.

“House. Why?”

“Come here at the Game House. I have something to tell you.”

Byul’s curiosity was now mixed with apprehension. “Okay.”

 

Byul walked in, and she was immediately welcomed by the smell of alcohol and cigarettes. She went around the Billiard area to the counter, where she saw Ken serving drinks. She sat on a stool at the farthest corner at the same time as Ken turned. They made eye contact, and Ken immediately grabbed a beer and walked toward Byul, placing it in front of her. He then grabbed a tray of glass and a towel and wiped the glasses. Byul took a sip from her beer, waiting for Ken to talk.

Ken subtly scanned their surroundings before he murmured, “one of Jun’s guys snitched on him.”

Byul took another sip and remained silent.

“He took the guys from the cartel to Jun’s apartment. He wasn’t there.”

Ken raised the glass to his eye level to examine it before putting it down and getting another from the tray. Byul took another sip before settling the bottle down.

“I went there after them. Nothing much is in there. Just this.”

Ken put the glass down and took the photo and another towel. He put the picture underneath the towel and wiped the counter leaving it in front of Byul. She took it immediately before she took her beer and finished it. She put down some cash and looked at Ken, silently thanking him, before she stood and walked out. She went inside her truck and took the picture from her pocket. As soon as she looked at it, her blood suddenly ran cold. She felt the chills running down her spine as she saw a woman with that familiar boy.

No way. No.

Byul took a series of deep breaths to calm herself. With a shaking hand, she started the engine and drove off. She drove aimlessly as her heart sank. Her emotions are coming in an immense wave, making it hard for her to control them. It’s overwhelming her. She needed an anchor. Byul press harder on the gas, running before the wave of emotion drowns her.

Yongsun tapped the pen on her cheek as she reviewed her draft of the report she made about Byul’s volunteer participation. She didn’t put in a lot and just made it short, informing them of their routines and some of her observations on Byul’s behavior. She planned to let Byul read it first before she submitted it. She opened her laptop to encode it when she heard a knock on her door.

She opened it to see Nanay Aida in her sleepwear. “Are you asleep yet? Your friend is looking for you.”

Yongsun’s brow knitted. What would Hyejin need at this hour?

“Okay ‘Nay… I’ll be downstairs.”

“No. She’s outside. She didn’t want to come in if you’re already sleeping.”

“I’ll go to her. Thanks ‘Nay.”

 

                Byul was seated on the sidewalk with her head down. She was absentmindedly scratching her ear as she was submerged in her thoughts. What is going to happen now? What is she going to do?

                “Byulyi?”

Byul raised her head and saw Yongsun in her pajamas. She looked confused and worried.

                “What’s wrong? Did something happen?” Yongsun asks as she walks several steps toward her.

Byul got up and faced her. She was quiet and was just looking at Yongsun. There she is, the anchor that she needed. All she has to do is hold into her.

Yongsun felt that Byul was distressed. She tentatively grabbed her cheek. “Byulyi, are you okay?”

Byul shook her head. “Can I hug you?”

Yongsun was surprised by Byul’s request. She never imagined Byul would ask her for a hug, but she didn’t question it and just went in to wrap her arms around her. She asked for it, which meant she needed it, and Yongsun was more than happy to give it. Byul buried her head on the side of Yongsun’s neck as she tightly held onto her. She immediately felt calm as she inhales Yongsun’s scent. Yongsun closed her eyes as she thought Byul hugged her tighter. She is so warm and soft, and she felt so amazing. She could stay in this embrace forever.

After a while, Byul slowly let her go. She scratched her neck, suddenly feeling embarrassed, while Yongsun gave her a soft smile.

“Feeling better?”

Byul gave her a small smile, “Are you sleepy? Can I come in?”

Again. Yongsun was surprised. “Of course… Let’s go?”

 

                Yongsun’s room was neat. Her walls and bedsheets are all white, but her things are in ..different light colors. Yellow lampshade, purple mat below the bed, pink vanity mirror, and light blue study table with papers and red furry laptop on top of it.

“You love colors,” Byul said as she returned her eyes to Yongsun.

“Well, life is colorful,” Yongsun said with a faint smile. She went to her bed and sat on it.

“I’m not sure about that,” Byul remarked with bitterness.

Yongsun tapped her hand on the bed, motioning Byul to sit beside her.

Byul reluctantly went to her and sat beside her. Yongsun turned to face her. She took her pillow on her lap and looked at Byul, whose eyes was still wandering around her room. She looked distressed earlier. She wondered what had happened.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

Byul turned to her. “About what?”

Yongsun looked at her intently. “About the reason why you’re here?”

Byul pursed her lips. “What makes you think I am here for a certain reason?”

“Byulyi, it’s not like you came here just because you want a hug from me.”

Byul gave her a small smile. But I do.

“I don’t want to talk about it…. Yet…”

Yongsun was still staring at Byul, who was just giving her a small smile turning into a grin. She just sighed in defeat. Yongsun went to her study table, took the narrative report she had written, and gave it to Byul. She sat right back where she was seated. Byul looked at her silently, asking what the paper was about.

“I wrote a report about your volunteering. I want you to read it before I give it to Mr. Kim,” Yongsun explained, motioning the paper in Byul’s hand.

Byul nodded and read the report. Her expression changes gradually as she reads further. Her neutral face changed to confusion, then to disbelief to a somehow offended one.

She looked at Yongsun with knitted eyebrows, “You made it sound like I’m an obedient puppy.”

Yongsun giggled. “Well… I’m supposed to tell them you did great. You’re not expecting me to write about you being a “big bad wolf,” right?”

“But still, you made it sound like I am so good I could be the student body president,” Byul said, still offended, “Mr. Kim wouldn’t believe this.”

Yongsun was still giggling, “I didn’t lie in there.”

Byul raised a brow. “Coming religiously to every activity.” She read.

“You were there every Friday afternoon after class. You still accompanied me when I gave you a free afternoon.” Yongsun said with a huge smile.

Byul looked at the paper again.

“Exhibit great teamwork.”

“We finished all of our tasks together.”

“Had good communication skills.”

“We talked.”

“An intent in relationship building.”

“You are a good listener. You listened to everything I said and told me about yourself too.”

“Uh-huh… What makes you think I am listening? Maybe I am just letting you talk because I don’t have a choice.”

Yongsun grinned, “You remember my favorite ice cream flavor.”

Byul squinted her eyes at her before she proceeded to read.

 “Shows positive attitude,” Byul deadpanned, “Seriously, Yongsun?”

It makes Yongsun giggle again. “You always think we can finish every task with just the two of us.”

“That’s a reach,” Byul argued.

“It has positivity in there. You think we can do it.” Yongsun argued back.

‘It’s probability, not positivity. Those tasks didn’t require a lot of people to get done.”

“You did with a positive outlook.”

Byul rolled her eyes, “How’d you think that?”

“I caught you smiling a few times.”

Byul took a deep breath getting frustrated. She intently looked at Yongsun and leaned closer to her.

“This,” Byul waved the paper in front of Yongsun, “doesn’t look good on me.”

Yongsun looked at her for a moment before she burst out laughing so hard she produced that dolphin noise.

Byul leaned back as she fought hard not to laugh too. She just watched as Yongsun fell to the bed laughing uncontrollably.

“I see that ruining my reputation makes you happy,” Byul commented.

Yongsun struggled to calm herself. Still laughing, she looked at Byul, “It’s my pleasure.”

Byul pursed her lips to hide her smile as she slowly nodded. “Can you at least put some badass things about me in there as a sort of redemption?”

Yongsun grinned at her so wide. “Say, please.”

Byul looked at her dead serious for a moment before she spoke again. “You’re the villain of my life.”

Yongsun burst into laughter again, and Byul thought that was the sweetest, most beautiful laugh of a villain she had ever heard.

 

 

The semester ended well for Byul. Mr. Kim was a little skeptical about the report Yongsun had given him about Byul’s volunteering, but he didn’t question it. The night Byul went to Yongsun’s house, they bonded more than before. They played twenty-one questions which prompted some discussions that Yongsun absolutely enjoyed. She loves listening to Byul’s thoughts and opinions about certain things. It gives her a broader view and deeper understanding. They talked non-stop until Yongsun noticed the time on her phone when he opened it so Byul could type her phone number. At three a.m. Yongsun leads Byul toward the gate and bids her goodbye. It has been a week since then.

Jin, Sanduel, Hani, and Ken raised their beers as Jin made a speech. “So this is for Byul, who survived a whole semester at school – “

“-and finding her true love-“ Hani added.

“Yeah, and having Yongsun as her true love.“

“- guys -“Byul tried to intervene,

“Cheers!” Jin shouted before Byul could say anything.

“Cheers!” The other three cheered, and they chugged their beers.

Byul drank hers while sulking. She felt like she was being bullied more than being celebrated.

“Why is your face like that?” Hani said, pointing at Byul’s face.

“Shut up.” Byul deadpanned.

Hani was about to say something when Byul’s phone rang. She took it out of her pocket, and her sullen look lit up when she saw who was calling.

“Oh…. True love is calling.” Ken teased as he took a peek at Byul’s cell phone.

 The other three snickered as Byul stood up and went to the back exit of the Game House. She leaned her back on the wall and answered the call.

“Hey.”

“Hi.” Came a sweet voice from the other line.

“So what prompted this call?” Byul teased.

“Nothing… I was about to sleep when I thought of you. What are you up to?” Yongsun’s tone was soft. It melted Byul’s guts. The thought of Yongsun thinking of her brought a stupid smile to her face.

“I’m at a bar. My friends thought we should go out and celebrate my surviving school.”

Yongsun giggled, and it tickled Byul.

“Are you going to stay up late?”

“No. I don’t think so. Maybe, we’ll head home soon.”

Yongsun hummed on the other line.

“I’ll leave you to your celebration then.” Yongsun wanted to talk more, but there were other chances.

“Okay… Goodnight, Yong.” Byul said with a little smile.

” Goodnight, Byulyi… Be safe.”

Byul bit her lip to stop herself from smiling so widely.

“I will.”

The smile Byul tried to contain broke out as their call ended. She sighed as she pushed herself against the wall and was about to walk back inside when she noticed a girl getting cornered by three men in an alley opposite her. She tried to ignore it because she knew it was trouble, but her gut pushed her to at least do something. She took quick strides, crossed the street, and approached them.

“You think you can escape, huh?” Said one of the guys.

“Nah. You guys are just dumb.” The girl answered, smirking.

Byul’s eyebrows raised. She’s tough, huh.

One of the guys scoffed. “You are so arrogant.”

He took quick strides toward the girl and attacked her. Byul was about to intervene when she saw the girl kick the guy’s jaw, making him slump on the ground like a sack of potatoes. Byul crossed her arms and leaned against the wall. None of them noticed her as they all engaged in a fight. The girl was utterly dominating those three men. She received a couple of hits, but considering she’s alone against three of them is impressive.

One of the guys tackled and held her while the other produced a pocket knife. The other guy was still knocked out cold. She may be good at skills, but those guys are obviously physically stronger than her. She tried to wiggle out of the hold, but the guy locked his arms around her. The guy with the knife smirked.

“How’d you like a blood faucet at your side?” He said as he walked closer to her.

Byul cringed at that line.

“.” The girl said, still with an annoying smirk.

The vein popped into his neck as he tried to calm himself, but the girl’s smug smirk took the ounce of control the guy had. He was about to stab her when he suddenly flew to the side, loosening his grip on the knife. The guy holding the girl got distracted, and the girl took advantage of it. She crunched a little and effortlessly threw the guy over her shoulder to the ground. Byul kicked the knife away as the boy who held it stood up and looked at her.

“Who the are you?”

“Just a passer-by.”

“Should have mind your own ing business!” He said as he attacked her.

The other guy was handled by the girl. They rambled in that alley for a few minutes, with Byul and the girl walking out of it, leaving two guys beaten and one knocked out. Both of them stood on the sidewalk facing each other. The girl had noticeable bruises on her face and arms, while Byul had only one on her left jaw.

“Thanks. … for what you’ve done there.” The girl said a little awkwardly.

“Yeah.” Byul caressed her bruised jaw. “Why are they trying to stab you?”

The girl looked around them before she looked back at Byul. “Can’t tell you anything here.”

Byul sighed. “Okay. I won’t pry.”

The girl looked at her for a moment. “I can tell you… But not here. If you want to know, you come with me.”

“No offense, but you are a stranger to me,” Byul said, eyeing her.

The girl her dried lip before she offered her hand to Byul. “My name’s Seulgi.”

Byul took her hand for a handshake. “Byul.”

“I owe you one. If ever you need anything. I’m just around the area.” Seulgi said. She then turned, walking away.

Byul contemplated for a moment, “Seulgi.” Byul called her.

Seulgi stopped walking and turned her head towards Byul. Those few bruises on her face are much more noticeable as they turn purple. But despite that, the girl still looked so pretty and cool.

Byul stood there with her hands in her pocket.

“Would you like a beer?”

Seulgi smirked at her and motioned her head to follow her. They went to a nearby convenience store and bought cans of beer before they walked a few blocks to a small house standing at the corner of what seemed like an abandoned junkyard. There was an old 1970 Camaro parked in front of the house.

“Nice ride,” Byul commented as they walked past it.

“It was one of those,” Seulgi motioned to the pile of rusting cars in the junkyard, “my friend restored it. Replace a couple of parts, and it worked.”

Seulgi knocked on the door. They heard footsteps coming before they heard a girl’s voice.

“Who’s there?”

“It’s me,” Seulgi answered.

The door opened, and behind it emerged an attractive tall woman.

“It took you so long,” the girl said to Seulgi. Her brows knitted when she saw Seulgi’s bruises, “what happened to you?”

“Caught in a little bit of trouble,” Seulgi replied and turned to Byul.

The girl took a defensive stance as soon as she took notice of Byul. Seulgi tapped her shoulder as she walked past her and motioned Byul to enter. Seulgi went to the small kitchen and put the beers on the dining table. The girl followed her.

“Seulgi, who’s that?” The girl asked. She was guarded. She didn’t like the idea of letting some stranger inside their house.

 “Relax…” Seulgi said and went out to the living room to get Byul. Seulgi had her arms around Byul’s shoulder as they faced the girl.

“Byul, this is Lisa, the friend I was talking about earlier about the car,” Seulgi turned to Lisa, “this is Byul. She saved my life earlier.” Seulgi said, smiling.

Byul took her hand off her pocket and raised it, offering a handshake. Lisa looked at her for a moment before she loosened and accepted Byul’s hand.

“Great,” Seulgi said. She took the beers and chips from the plastic and laid them on the table. She motioned Lisa and Byul to sit.

“Aren’t you going to tend in those first?” Byul asked, referring to Seulgi’s bruises.

Seulgi shook her head as she opened a can and chugged a mouthful. Lisa stood up, took an ice pack from their fridge, and tossed it to her.

“Why are you there?” Seulgi asked Byul.

Byul took a sip from her can. “I was at the Game House with my friends. I just finished a phone call when I took notice of you.”

“Where were you?” Lisa asked Seulgi.

“At an alley. I was cornered by those wannabes. ers want to have the items free. Trying to intimidate and blackmail me.” She was wincing at the cold and burning sensation of the ice pack on her bruises.

“Items?” Byul asked, a little suspicious. She leaned on the table as she looked at them, “you guys are dealing?”

“We do.” Lisa was looking at her intently. Trying to gauge Byul’s reaction.

Byul was baffled. “You infiltrated the cartel’s market? You guys are crazy!”

Seulgi chuckled, “We don’t sell the same item.”

“What do you mean?” Byul was confused.

Lisa leaned back on her chair, “We deal weapons. Our clients are low-level individuals who want to acquire the easy way and those gang wannabes.

“You ran it just the two of you?”

Seulgi nodded, “we have a few trusted people transacting for us.”

Lisa leaned on the table, “how did you know about the cartel?” she asked, laced with suspicion.

“I had trouble with a person associated with it.”

“Who?” Lisa pried.

“His name’s Jun. My friends and I had trouble with him and his guys. It’s just later that we discovered his association with the cartel.”

“Jun?” The name sounds familiar to Seulgi.

“I think his one of our clients before. The guy who bought two .38 caliber pistols.” Lisa was the one who transacted with him.

Byul got interested. “Do you guys know where he is? I am looking for him.”

“We don’t. But I can ask some people I know to look for him.” Seulgi offered.

“That would be a great help.”

Byul and Ken had been eyeing some of Jun’s guys the past week, but none were meeting him. Byul was dreading that the men from the cartel may have already found him.

“Why are you looking for him?” For revenge?” Lisa’s curiosity about Byul grew with every passing minute they spent with her. If she could save Seulgi from those thugs, then she could fight. Lisa was wondering how she learned.

“No. It’s something so personal. Just between Jun and me.” Byul chugged down the remaining contents in her can. She looked at Lisa and knew just from how she looked at her that the girl had some reservations and hesitations toward her, which was understandable. She put her can down and leaned on her seat.

“You can ask anything. I’ll answer them as best as possible.”

Lisa sighed before she spoke. “How’d you learn how to fight?”

Byul chuckled. That’s not the question she was expecting.

“Since I was a teen, I’m always in trouble. Inside and outside school. Need to learn to survive.”

Seulgi snickered. “Your parents must be proud.”

That comment made Byul and Lisa laugh.

Byul shook her head, still chuckling, “That man will never be proud of anything about me.”

Seulgi and Lisa felt the edge in Byul’s tone.

“Tough parent?” Lisa asked, opening another can of beer.

Byul gave her a tight lip smile. “He’s not tough. He’s weak. That’s the problem.”

Lisa slowly nodded. She kind of gets what Byul was trying to say. She knew since she had grown up with such a man. It takes a lot of courage to be a good man, let alone be a father.

“How can I you reach about that Jun guy?” Seulgi deliberately changed their topic. She’s not fond of any conversation about parents since she doesn’t have anything to share. She never had one.

“I’ll leave you my phone number.”

“How can we be sure that you’re trustworthy?”

Byul shrugged. “I don’t know what to say to assure you. You’ll just have to try me.”

“Okay… We’ll try our best to find your guy. It’s my payment for what you did for me earlier.” Seulgi told her with a gummy smile.

“Thank you.”

Byul reached for another can of beer when she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. She checked it and saw a message from Sanduel asking about her whereabouts. She let go of the beer and looked at Seulgi, busy chugging her fourth can.

“I have to go. My friends at the Game House are already looking for me.”

“Okay,” Seulgi said. She stood up from her chair to get her phone and handed it to Byul for her phone number. She then walked her to the door, and before Byul could step out, Seulgi gave her a reminder.

“We’re phantoms at the street, Byul. I hope it stays that way.” For the first time, Seulgi talked to her so seriously.

Byul hummed before she turned to face her. “Don’t worry, I don’t battle ghosts.”

Seulgi acknowledged Byul’s assurance offering a fist bump. Byul walked back to the Game House. Thinking of a good excuse as to why she took too long to return.

 

 

Yongsun was static when she received a late-night call from Joohyun saying they were spending their break at home. She missed her friends so much; although they had been communicating through messages, it wasn’t the same. They were all inseparable in high school, so when graduation came, they were flooded with tears knowing they had to separate for college. Joohyun wanted to be a doctor, so she went to a university with the best facilities. On the other hand, Jennie wanted to be in the fashion industry, so she decided to study overseas. Those two strays were coming home, and Yongsun was so excited. After her conversation with them, Yongsun was still very much awake. She took a nap earlier and woke up late, so she had difficulty catching her sleep. She opened her book to read, hoping to tire her eyes out and would eventually sleep. She was halfway through the story when her phone rang for a few seconds but immediately stopped. It seems that the caller changed their mind the moment they dialed. She checked the miscall only to see it was from Byul.

Why is she up this late?

Yongsun wondered if she was still at the bar. She dialed her number to call her back. Seconds later, she was greeted by a soft, deep voice.

“Yongsun?” Byul sounded a little surprised.

Something about that deep voice calling her name made Yongsun blush.

“Hey.”

“Did I disturb your sleep? I’m sorry.” Byul was speaking so low, almost a whisper.

“No. I’m wide awake.” Yongsun shifted to sit comfortably, “I’m reading a book.”

“Still reading at this hour?”

Yongsun hummed. “I can’t sleep.”

“Why?”

“I took a nap earlier.”

There was silence. Yongsun noted that the other line wasn’t as noisy as earlier.

“Your home?” She asked.

“Yeah, just a few minutes ago.” Byul played with the loose thread of her shirt, “I can’t sleep too.”

“Why?” Yongsun probed.

“Just thinking about things.” Byul vaguely answered.

“Care to share?”

“Nah.”

Yongsun pouted though Byul wasn’t able to see her.

“What are you reading?”

“The Lucky One.”

“Romance?”

“Yep.”

“Is it good?”

“Yep. No cheating”

Byul Chuckled.

“I know a good romantic story.”

“Of course you do. You love it.” Yongsun teased.

“Yongsun, I’m serious.”

Yongsun giggled. “Okay. What’s the story? Are you going to tell me?”

“It depends.”

“Depends on what?” Yongsun was curious.

“Depends on what would you decide. Should I tell you the story now, or would you rather watch it?”

Yongsun smiled, “You have a copy of the movie?”

“Yep. I can go there and lend you if you want.”

“Now?”

“You want it now?”

Yongsun thought she wanted to see Byul, but it was already late. They can watch it some other time.

“No… It’s already late.” But she loves the idea of having Byul over.

“How about tomorrow night? If you’re not busy.”

Yongsun perked up at Byul’s suggestion.

“Sure.”

Byul hummed. “Okay.”

There was a moment of silence between them. They both felt the comfort of knowing the other was in the line and that even if there was silence, it was not awkward.

“Jaime has a positive outlook in life, just like you.” Byul’s voice was soft and quiet.

That made Yongsun smile, “We do. Have you also read the novel?”

“No,” she heard Byul shift from the other line, “I watched the movie.”

“How was it? What can you say about it?”

“It’s good.”

Yongsun waited for more, but Byul didn’t add anything.

“Just “good”?” Yongsun can’t mask the disappointment in her voice.

Byul chuckled, “you sound disappointed. Is it one of your favorites?”

“No… My disappointment is with your response. I expected something elaborate.”

“Hmmm… The movie was simple. The storyline is also simple and very predictable. But I did enjoy it.”

Yongsun nod though Byul can’t see her.

“Did you watch it with Wheenie?”

“No… I was alone when I watched it.”

“Oh… So, you’re telling me you searched for a romantic movie and watched it on your own?” Yongsun teased, smiling from ear to ear.

Byul dramatically sighed. “Yeah… When you mentioned Jaime in one of our arguments, I got curious, so I searched for her and found the movie.”

Yongsun’s smile never left her face. “You do listen.”

Byul cleared , “I don’t know why but I unconsciously retain details involving you or about you.”

Yongsun’s heart skipped a beat. She bit her lip to contain the giddiness she felt.

“That sounded so cheesy.”

Byul chuckled, “Yeah, Wheenie said that too. I sound cheesy.”

“Is it perhaps, due to frequent similar situations where you often verbally please women, it became a habit?”

“Hmmm… Ms. Kim, are you saying I go around flirting with women?”

Yongsun silently giggled, “Oh… Did I say that?”

Byul could feel Yongsun’s smile from the other line.

“Okay… Let me clear up some misunderstandings here. I don’t go around flirting, I just met them in bars, and they know I don’t go beyond the flirting stage.”

Yongsun raised her eyebrows,” And what do you exactly do on your flirting stage?”

Byul suddenly felt uneasy hearing Yongsun’s tone. “You know… keeping each other company… through the night….”

Yongsun hummed.

“Should we change the topic now?” Byul’s tone was teasing.

“So sudden?”

“I figured you’d be uncomfortable with the topic.”

“Of one-night stands? Are you saying I am a prude?” Yongsun asked, a little offended.

“No… I just…”

“I may be inexperienced, but I am not naïve, Byulyi.” Yongsun cut her off.

“I’m sorry.”

“So, that’s how you play.”

Byul chuckled, “Don’t hate the player. Hate the game.”

“Said by every womanizer.”

“Aw.”

Yongsun sighed. “I can’t imagine being intimate with someone I am not in love with.”

There was silence. Byul thought about it for a moment.

“You see it as a ritual of love. While some do it to feel the physical touch of others, to at least feel someone’s presence, even if it’s stranger, to alleviate their loneliness.”

“So, you do it because you’re lonely?”

“Yeah… You could say that….” Byul was embarrassed to admit it.

“How often do you feel lonely?” Yongsun asked.

“It never leaves me, Yongsun, but I haven’t had that feeling since you first talked to me.” Byul’s tone was laced with affection.

It made Yongsun smile. Her heart was beating erratically. It felt like it is going to jump out of her chest. She took a moment to calm herself down.

“Two points for cheesy Byulyi,” Yongsun said, giggling.

Byul sighed deeply, “you don’t have any idea how much I question myself “what the heck?”

Yongsun laughed. “Come on, embrace the change.”

“It’ll be like embracing a cactus.”

Yongsun laughed again, while Byul was just smiling wide. The sound of Yongsun’s laughter was the best.

“I think we should get some sleep.”

“Okay…” Yongsun lay in her bed and went under the covers, “sing me a song.”

“Seriously?”

Yongsun giggled as she closed her eyes.

“you offended me earlier. That’s how you make up to me.”

“I’m not good at singing.”

“It’s fine.”

Byul contemplated for a moment. Heck, she had never done this kind of thing before.

Yongsun shifted and made herself comfortable.

Byul cleared before she started, “Ninety miles outside Chicago…,” she flinched out of cringe.

Yongsun smiled as she immediately recognized that song.

“… can't stop driving. I don't know why….” Byul was a little shy.

“…So many questions. I need an answer,” Byul’s deep voice sounded so good.

“…Two years or later, you're still on my mind….”

“…whatever happened to Amelia Earhart...” Yongsun can’t help but join in. She loves the song so much.

“…who holds the stars up in the sky….” Byul was singing confidently now that Yongsun had joined her.

“…is true love just once in a lifetime?” Yongsun sang the next part.

“…Did the captain of the Titanic cry…”

They sang the chorus together. A duet that made them feel so giddy and smiley. Byul never thought she could be this cringey sappy person, but this feels good. At this moment, she understood the people she was laughing at. Now she knew why people get to be stupid and crave romance. She gets it. Now she knows, just because of this woman.

Kim Yongsun.

Goodnight, Byulyi.” Yongsun bid so affectionately that it melted Byul into a puddle.

Byul imagined her wearing that gummy smile, and with her chubby cheeks, that made her smile to herself.

“Sweet dreams, Ddunie.”