Goodnight, Byulyi

When the Sun shines

Mr. Moon - in Wheein’s memory - was such a nice man. He was often quiet and reserved in a huge crowd making him seem like a cold person but he was a warm, gentle man inside his home. It was just work has taken most of his time he barely spent time with his family. But in Byul’s stories, he was like a completely different person.

Wheein was dreading on what she could find about those drugs. Her fingers shook a little as she typed the generic name. She released a small gasp as she read the description of the drugs and what it is used for.

Benazepril HCL, Spironolactone, Carvedilol, Losartan for high blood pressure…

… Medications to treat heart failure…

Wheein was silently processing things. Mr. Moon is sick and it seems like no one knows about it. Even Byulyi. Did he purposely hide it? Maybe that’s the reason why he was always away. Is he having secret treatments?

Wheein bit her lip, she’s worried on how Byul would react if she found out. She was angry with her father, but he is still her father.

“What are you up to?”

Wheein quickly shut her laptop as she looked at Byul who’s leaning at her door frame.

“Nothing. Just looking for some information about your school.” Wheein said with a little smile.

“Why?”

Wheein stood up from her bed and made her way towards Byul and hugged her waist. “I’m enrolling there. My previous school agreed to give half of the credits I earned and I’ll complete them in your school. Is it okay?”

Byul is happy that Wheein would be attending her school, in fact she was excited. Her school days wouldn’t be the same if she got Wheein there. Maybe it could be fun now.

“What kind of question is that, of course it’s okay. It’s more than okay.” Byul said smiling.

“Great. I’ll be enrolling tomorrow. Maybe we could have lunch together?” Wheein asked cutely.

Byul chuckled. “Of course.”

“Okay. Now go, get out of here so I can have my beauty rest.” Wheein slightly pushed Byul out. Byul turned to say something but Wheein already shut the door after exclaiming a quick goodnight.

Wheein returned to her bed and resumed reading the details about the drugs she found. She wanted to tell Byul, but she needed to confirm it first.

 

Byul left earlier for her morning classes. Wheein went to the school later and though Byul had given her instructions and landmarks, she was still having a hard time navigating through the campus. She sat at a bench near the parking lot for a while studying the campus map. She was tracing the path to the building where the school registrar is when a slightly deep sensual voice spoke.

“You’re treasure hunting here?”

Wheein looked up and saw a woman with black hair and tan skin. She gave her a sultry smile so enchanting Wheein was speechless for a moment just staring at the very gorgeous woman in front of her.

Hyejin noticed how the girl was staring at her and she can’t help but to chuckle. She leaned a little closer to her and whispered. “Take a picture, it’ll last longer.”

Wheein snapped out her trance. She looked away as she cleared . “I’m new here. I was just trying to find the way to the registrar’s office.” She said trying to brush off the woman’s comment about her staring.

The sensual woman raised her eyebrows. “You’re just enrolling when its already half the semester?”

Wheein looked at her. “I’m a transferee.”

Hyejin studied the girls face. She is very pretty and appealing. It felt like she had seen her before.

“Have we met before? You look familiar...”

Wheein squinted her eyes at Hyejin. “Is that a pick-up line?”

Hyejin burst out laughing. That was a genuine question yet the other girl took it as if she was flirting her. Wheein raised her eyebrows as she watched the woman laugh. Even while laughing she still looked and sounded y.

“No, it’s not.” Hyejin said still chuckling. She extended her right hand towards Wheein. “Ahn Hyejin...”

Wheein stood up from the bench and accepted Hyejin’s hand. “Jung Wheein.”

Hyejin eyed her, smirking, and Wheein raised her eyebrows at her for a moment before she burst into a smile revealing her dimple. She looks so pretty Hyejin had to bit her lip to contain herself.

“Do you need my help?” Hyejin asked.

“Sure…” Wheein said still smiling. Then she tilted her head motioning their still joined hands. “After I have my hand back.”

Hyejin reluctantly let go. “Sure.”

She motioned towards the main building. “Let’s go?”

They walked in silence for a while. Hyejin kept glancing at Wheein, trying to remember where she could have possibly saw her before because she really looks so familiar.

“If you’re going to keep looking at me like that, I might think you’re a creep.” Wheein said looking towards Hyejin catching her in the act.

“It’s just that you are really pretty.” Hyejin said smirking.

Wheein raised her eyebrows towards her.

“And, seriously, you really looked so familiar.” Hyejin said.

“This is the first time I saw you. I just move to this city.” Wheein thought for a while before she spoke again. “I went to this school twice. The first time when I picked up someone and the second time is today. “

Hyejin stopped walking and pointed at Wheein. “That’s it! You’re the pretty girl who picked up Ms. Troublemaker!”

“Ms. Troublemaker? Are you talking about Byulyi?” Wheein asked with a serious expression. She felt wronged when she heard the title Hyejin use to refer Byul. “Her name is Byul and she is more than a troublemaker.” Wheein said not hiding the annoyance in her voice.

She turned and continued walking while Hyejin was left there. She was caught off guard. She shook her head as she realizes what she had said and why Wheein was upset. She ran and caught Wheein to stop her.

“Hey… I’m sorry, I was rude... I didn’t know her personally; I should’ve addressed her properly.”

Wheein looked at Hyejin for a moment as if trying to see if she was being sincere in her apology. She sighed as she looked away.

“She may be caught in some troublesome circumstances, but that’s not what defines her. She is more than what you see and what you hear.”

“Yeah. Again, I’m sorry…”

Wheein gave Hyejin an uptight smile.

Hyejin felt so stupid for giving such a rude nickname and she felt even more stupid for blurting it out to the person who cares about that person. She needs to think of a way to redeem herself; she didn’t want to give Wheein a very bad impression.

“Wheein…”

Wheein looked at Hyejin waiting for her to continue what she’s about to say.

“I didn’t mean to sound like I am judging Byul… It was just really a stupid nickname I use to refer her… there is no ill meaning behind it.”

“Okay.” Wheein said giving Hyejin a small smile. “It’s just that, I don’t like hearing negative things being thrown at her. What you see is not even half of Byul’s whole personality.”

“You’re really close with each other huh… And you obviously care for her a lot.”

“We grew up together. She’s always there to save and help me with everything. She’s my hero.” Wheein was smiling thoughtfully remembering the times when they were kids, every time she cries, Byul is always there to wipe her tears and cheer her up. Byul always protects her.

“So you know each other since you were kids. You must really love each other.” Hyejin accepted that Wheein is a lost case. She can’t help the feeling of disappointment creeping in to her. She can’t compete with years of lasting love and amazing relationship.

“So much.” Wheein said smiling at her.

They entered the building and Hyejin informed Wheein about the basic things she should know about the school. They reach the registrar’s office and Wheein went in to process her enrollment. Hyejin was about to go but she decided to stay and wait for her. She can’t deny the instant attraction she felt for Wheein and she would want to know her more. If it isn’t possible for her to act on her attraction, she at least wants her to be her friend.

It was roughly thirty minutes before Wheein walked out of the office. She was surprised to see Hyejin there seemingly waiting for her.

“Did you wait for me?” Wheein asked her.

Hyejin smiled at her. “Yep.”

“Why?”

Hyejin shrugged her shoulders. “I just thought you’ll still need my help.”

The wind was knocked out of Hyejin’s chest when Wheein fully smiled at her revealing a deep dimple. She is breathtakingly beautiful. “I’m sure I know where the exit is.”

Hyejin cleared and smiled shyly. “I would still want to accompany you to the exit.”

Wheein giggled a little at how Hyejin suddenly became shy. “Okay, lead the way?”

They walk in silence for a while. Hyejin still having the heavy feeling of disappointment within her. Her attraction towards the woman beside her is so strong and different. It wasn’t like before, and it’s frustrating her so much because she can’t express it openly. She doesn’t want to be rude. The thought of Byul with Wheein made her feel bitter.

“Where is your girlfriend? Why is she not helping you?”

Wheein’s eyebrow furrowed out of confusion. “My girlfriend?”

Hyejin nodded. “Yeah. Your girlfriend.”

“Who’s my girlfriend?”

Hyejin was annoyed at how Wheein would toy the word girlfriend. It irritates her. “Moon Byul.”

Wheein halted her step and looked at Hyejin for a moment before she burst out laughing. Hyejin didn’t know what could be so funny but she can’t help but smile upon seeing Wheein laugh. The sound of it is so good.

“I wish I know what could be so funny.”

Wheein sigh as she wiped her eyes. She was a little teary from laughing. “Byulyi is not my girlfriend.” She looked at Hyejin, her eyes shining from so much amusement. “She’s my cousin.”

Hyejin felt the heat crept into her cheeks as she blushed out of embarrassment. She avoided looking into Wheein eyes trying to regain her composure.

She cleared before she spoke again. “I’m sorry. I – I thought…”

“It’s okay.” Wheein turned to her. “I can’t blame you. I think I may have given you that impression.”

Hyejin bit her lip. “I’m relieved though.”

Wheein raised her eyebrows towards her. “About what?”

Hyejin shook her head, smiling. “Nothing.”

Wheein squinted her eyes at her and they both laugh at each other.

Hyejin accompanied Wheein to the parking lot. They walk as they talk about some things about each other, both falling into a comfortable conversation.

Wheein left Hyejin a smile and a wave as she drove off.  There is really something about her that excites Hyejin so much.  She didn’t feel this kind of attraction to any other woman before so she decided to pursue this feeling. Considering also that Wheein thought she was flirting with her earlier, it gives her the impression that she is not straight. That gives Hyejin the boost she needed.

Lunch came and Hyejin was still not over with her interaction with Wheein. She can’t help but to smile whenever she thought of the woman’s smile and laughter.

“What’s with you today?” Yongsun asked eyeing her. “You’re extra cheerful.”

Hyejin smiled at her. “Ahh…. There’s something great that happened to me this morning.”

“Really? What is it?”

Hyejin bit her lip as she attempted to contain her excitement but failing to do so. She looked at Yongsun and was about to blabber her whole encounter with Wheein when her eyes caught the person who triggered the giddiness and excitement within her.

She was left speechless as she watched them saunter inside the cafeteria. Yongsun followed her line of sight and saw Byul with the pretty, brunette girl walking together towards the counter. The pretty brunette’s hand was hooked on Byul’s arm making them look much like a couple.

 Students were watching them full of curiosity. It’s the very first time they saw Moon Byul with a company and they seem so close with each other. Not to mention that the girl beside her is so pretty.

“She’s so pretty.”

Yongsun turned to Hyejin who looked like a lovesick puppy. She can’t help but to roll her eyes at her.

“What is she doing here?”

“Maybe she wanted to spend much time with Byul.” Hyejin said as she looked at Yongsun, amused. “They seem so inseparable.”

Yongsun sighed to release some tension building within her.

“I mean, she even enrolled here even if half of the semester already passed. I guess they wanted to be near each other most of the time.”

“How did you know that?” Yongsun asked Hyejin a little bit distracted.

“I just heard it somewhere.” Hyejin answered dismissively.

Yongsun turned her head away from the pair. She doesn’t want to see anymore interaction between the two so she gathered her things and stood up from her seat.

“Where are you going? You haven’t finished your food yet.” Hyejin said looking up at Yongsun.

“I lost my appetite. I’ll be at the library, see you after school.”

Hyejin watched Yongsun walk out of the cafeteria. A thought playing in her head about her best friend’s behavior. She can’t help but chuckle to herself as she had never seen her behave like that before. It’s really amusing.

She turned to look at Wheein and Byul sitting at the corner emerged in a conversation. She watched as Wheein talk, smile, and laugh at her own stories. She wants to be someone at the receiving end of those smiles and laughter in the future.

Days passed by so fast and Friday came and now Byul is in a predicament. She didn’t know how to tell Yongsun that she can’t treat her ice cream, at least not today, and her unusually silent self is not helping. She didn’t greet Byul like she always does. She didn’t utter a single word since she arrived and it makes Byul a lot more uncomfortable than she already is with the thought of ditching her.

They continued working without talking to each other until they are finishing the last box of the donated clothes they are sorting. Byul is growing more anxious and had been mentally cursing herself for it.

Yongsun was piling the empty boxes when Byul decided to speak up.

“I won’t be able to treat you to an ice cream today.”

Yongsun stopped what she’s doing and turned her head towards Byul with an unreadable expression. “Why?”

Byul met her gaze. “I have to do something important.”

“If you can’t tell me the truth, then at least don’t lie to me.” Yongsun didn’t manage to contain herself. She is upset. “If you have to spend time with a person that matters to you, you could’ve directly said it. And maybe next time, do not spew words you can’t fulfill to those people of no importance to you.”

Byul’s brows furrow. “What are you saying?”

Yongsun turned to fully face her. “What I am trying to say is, you shouldn’t have me believe that you would do that and then back out at the last minute. It’s not nice.”

“I didn’t say I wouldn’t do it. It’s just that I can’t today.”

Yongsun looked away and shook her head not believing what she just said making Byul feel distressed.

“Whatever you say.” Yongsun turned her back towards Byul and continued to pile the boxes in a rush.

She picked up her bag and walked towards the door. “I’m going. Lock the door when you leave.”

Byul roughly scratched her ear out of frustration. It’s clear to her that Yongsun was thinking that she really doesn’t want to do it.

She sighed as she piled up the remaining boxes before she hurriedly leaves for the parking lot and get in to her rarely used truck. She saw Yongsun walking her way to the gate and Byul tailed her for a bit contemplating what to do. She really needed to see Nana Sonia and talk to her, but she hated the thought of Yongsun being disappointed with her.

She tapped her fingers at the steering wheel as she continued to watch her. This girl really has the power to turn on all the switch inside Byul and activate all her dormant feelings. It’s annoying.

Byul sighed before she speeds up ‘till she’s beside Yongsun. Her step was halted as she was startled when she pulled up.

Yongsun stared at the unfamiliar truck, feeling nervous. The window in the driver’s side rolled down revealing Byul. They stared at each other for a moment, Byul trying to intimidate Yongsun who was staring back at her undeterred.

“Get in.”

Yongsun was taken aback. But she manages to hold her ground. She rolled her eyes at Byul before she rounded the truck. Byul was expecting her to open the passenger side, but her eyebrows furrowed when Yongsun walked straight towards the school gate.

Byul went out of her truck and ran to pursue her. She held her arm and she felt a jolt inside from her belly through her entire body. Yongsun stopped walking but didn’t turned back. She was somehow liking the feeling of Byul pursuing her like this. She thought that the friendship she was aiming to build with her is unattainable but this time, Byul’s action is giving her hope.

“Ms. Kim, get in the car.” Byul’s voice was clipped.

Yongsun turned to her and crossed her arms. “Why?”

Byul was stunned by that question. Yeah, why Byul?

She blinked a few times but she wasn’t able to conjure a proper response.

Yongsun was trying really hard not to smile. The genuine confusion and hesitation of Byul made her so endearing. The way she seems so lost made her looked so innocent. Away from the feared, troublemaker persona she carried off.

With that thought, Yongsun took mercy on her and took her arm out of her hold then started walking towards the truck. She was Infront of the passenger side when she turned to the frozen Byul standing there watching her wide eyed.

“Aren’t you going to at least open the door for me?” Yongsun said with a raised eyebrow.

Byul, who looked like she was still in her confused state, walked towards her and opened the passenger door for her. She closed the door after Yong got in and made her way to the driver side.

She started the engine and drove out of the school. None of them were talking and it gives Byul time to question herself on what she was doing, and on what is she going to do. She needs to meet Nana Sonia tonight, but it would be so late if they would go to an ice cream shop and then sending Yongsun home. And to think Yongsun’s house is in the opposite direction of Nana Sonia’s. Byul tapped the steering for a while until she came into a decision and made a U-turn.

Yongsun looked at her confused. “Why did you U-turn?”

Byul didn’t looked at her and remained quiet.

“Byul! I’m talking to you!” Yongsun turned in her seat to look at Byul.

“I know. I’m not stupid!” Byul is starting to get annoyed.

“Then why are you not answering me?!”

Byul didn’t answer. She didn’t want to argue with her.

“Hey!” Yongsun smacked Byul’s arm out of frustration. She was about to ditch her earlier and now she is not talking to her when she was asking her nicely.

“Aw!” Byul took a quick glance towards her. “Why are you getting violent?!”

“Because you are really being so rude to me! I’m talking to you and you are not answering me!” Yongsun glared at her.

“Well, violence is not the solution.”

“Oh really?? Coming from you?” Yongsun crossed her arms, her cheeks puffing as she huffs.

Byul finds her so cute and her frustrated huff triggered a laugh out of her. She chuckled for a good minute before she realized that Yongsun became so quiet. She took a quick glance towards her and she looking at her shocked.

“What?” She asked still smiling.

Yongsun slowly smiled at her. “You laughed.”

Byul slowly frowned when she realized what she did and cleared . “No.”

“You did, I saw it.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

"No."

"Yes."

“I said no, I’m not.”

“And I said yes, I saw it.”

“No. You’re hallucinating.”

Yongsun giggled. “You did! I guess you’re a human after all.”

Byul’s eyebrows furrowed. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing.” Yongsun said teasingly as she was smiling from ear to ear.

“Can you stop smiling like that?”

“Like what?”

“Like you’re crazy.” Byul briefly glared at her.

“Well, I am not the one laughing and then suddenly acting up just because I was caught. I am not that crazy.” Yongsun said in between her giggles.

“Agh! Just shut up woman!” Byul burst out.

Yongsun burst out laughing. She taps Byul’s shoulder as if to console her but her laugh totally irritated her.

Byul roughly shrugged her shoulder to take Yongsun’s hand off.

Who said this woman is an angel… She’s a devil!

 

They drove for over an hour before they stopped in front of a bungalow house in the outskirts of the town. There are variety of vegetables and other plants in the front yard of the house. The owner must really love gardening.

“Who live here?” Yongsun asked Byul. She turned to looked at her and she was staring at the house, lost in her thoughts.

“Byul?”

Byul was brought back at the sound of Yongsun’s voice. “What?”

Yongsun looked at her a little bit worried. “Why are we here?”

Byul sighed as she removed her seatbelt and opened the car door. “I have to talk to someone.”

Yongsun was hesitating if she would follow Byul inside. She didn’t want her to think that she is intruding although she was the one that took her there with her.

Byul rounded the car and was about to walk towards the house when she turned and saw Yongsun was still sitting inside. She motioned her to come which she immediately obliged. They are not familiar with the neighborhood so she can’t risk leaving Yongsun out here on her own.

As they walk closer to the house, questions flooded Byul’s mind creating rumbled mess of thoughts that heightened up her emotions. She felt like her stomach was in knots due to her feelings of nervousness and uncertainty of the things she could uncover.

She took a deep breath – that didn’t go unnoticed by Yongsun – before she raised her hand and knocked on the wooden door. They heard a faint voice saying ‘coming’ from the other side and they waited silently, and anxiously for Byul.

A middle-aged woman opened the door wearing an apron, she was seemingly cooking for dinner when they interrupted her with their knocking.

The woman’s eyes shifted back in fort between Byul and Yongsun before she spoke. “Can I help you?”

Yongsun looked at Byul and waited for her to say something but she seems like a little lost. Yongsun realized that Byul is not well versed with basic human greeting so she decided to stepped in.

She smiled at the woman. “Good evening. We are here to talk to someone.”

Yongsun subtly nudged Byul and she heard her cleared . “Does Sonia Rodriguez live here?”

The woman’s facial expression reveals that she knows the name. “May I know who you are?”

Byul sighed before she answered. “I’m Moon Byul. She used to be our housekeeper.”

“Oh, I see.” The woman opened the door wide to let them in. “Come in.”

They entered and Yongsun was in awe of the cozy ambiance of the house. It was small and simple with a couple of furniture but it feels so warm and … homey.

“Have a sit. I’m just going to get my mom.” The woman said as she disappeared into a corner.

Yongsun looked at Byul and noticed that she looked so stiff. She seems so nervous over something. She sat at the sofa next to the single sofa Byul was seated, she scooted to the corner so she can be near her.

Byul was quiet. Tons of questions were circling in her head, she wanted to know the answer, but at the same time, she also didn’t want to. She wanted to ask more about her mom, about the things she love to do, the things she’s fond of, what was her favorite food, or her favorite spot at the house. But she is scared to know more about her, because she might miss her more than she misses her right now, and she might not be able to handle it and resent her father more.

Yongsun was silently watching Byul and for the first time, she saw some hint of raw emotion in her eyes that’s been staring into nothing for a while now. The sadness emanating through it is hitting Yongsun right into her heart. What causes it?

Why are you so sad, Moon Byul?

Yongsun was about to reach out her hand and touch Byul’s shoulder in attempt to comfort her when they hear light footsteps coming their way.

At the door the woman disappeared earlier, there was an old woman walking slowly, being assisted by her daughter. As they nearing them, she looked up and looked at Byul. She gasps, and then raised her hands to to contain herself and began to tear up.

“Byulyi.” The old woman whispered, the silence inside that small living room allowed them to hear her.

Byulyi stood up and bowed to the elder woman, as she starts to approach her.

“Good evening, Nana.” Byul’s lips pulled up into a soft small smile.

She gently touched both of Byul’s cheek as she studied her. “You are all grown up.”

Byul shyly and awkwardly stood there. Her interaction with Nana Sonia was so warm and its melting Yongsun’s heart. This side of Moon Byul was so rare to see and she may not exactly know what kind of relationship they had but she is certain that they were close.

The woman walked to the sofa and that’s when she noticed Yongsun sitting there. Yongsun stood up and bowed to the old woman.

“I see you brought a friend.” The woman said to Byul as she was still staring at Yongsun. “And she is very pretty.” The old woman smiled so warmly her eyes almost disappeared. Yongsun, with her cheeks a little bit red from blushing, smiled shyly at the compliment.

“Ahh… Nana, this is Kim Yongsun.” Byul awkwardly introduced.

The old woman took Yongsun’s hand. “I’m Sonia. I’ve been Byulyi’s nanny when she was little. You can call me Nana Sonia.”

Byulyi?  Yongsun smiled at that cute nickname.

“Nice meeting you Nana.”

The old woman sat down at the sofa and looked at Byul, she patted the sit next to her, motioning Byul to sit beside her. Yongsun sat at the single sofa that Byul previously occupied.

“Ahh this is my daughter, Sooyoung.” Nana Sonia referred to the woman earlier.

They exchange pleasantries before the woman excused herself to give them some privacy. Yongsun was about to do the same but decided to stay just in case Byul would need her. If Byul didn’t want her there, she would tell her.

They were silent for a while, the sound of the insects outside the house can be faintly heard. Those sounds made a good distraction in the middle of the building awkward tension. She looked at Byul who’s seemingly trying to sort her thoughts.

“You somehow look like Areum when you do that expression.” Nana Sonia said, fondness is evident in her voice.

Byul looked at her at the mention of her mom. It makes her feel light hearted knowing she share something similar with her mom. She smiled a little at that.

“Can you tell me more about her?” Byul asked silently.

Yongsun can almost feel that hope and vulnerability in Byul’s voice. This new found side of her is a little bit overwhelming but she wanted to know her more.

“She’s a very cheerful woman, she can light up an entire room with just her smile. She’s pretty, and smart, affectionate, and very witty. She’s an amazing woman your father can’t help but to fall in love with her.” Nana was smiling thoughtfully.

Byul frowned slightly at the mention of her father. She drawn out a bitter smile. “If he really loved her, he should’ve taken care of her.”

“He loves her, Byul-ah.” Nana softly said. “Your father loves her so much.”

“Then why he didn’t protect. Why did he hurt her? Why did she looked so sad? Why was she crying in silence?” Byul can remember how her mother would be silently crying in her bed at night. There are some instances when she wakes up and saw her wiping her tears off her cheeks.

“Your father is not perfect. He made mistakes like every human does. It is not fair to blame him for that tragedy. He lost the love of his life.”

Yongsun felt a knot form in as she was putting things together. She looked at Byul who was clearly at the edge of her emotions.

“I lost my mom because of him, and instead of trying to make it up to me, he punished me.” Byul’s voice was shaking with contained emotion.

Yongsun caught her breath. Her chest heavy as she anguished for Byul. She tried to contain herself and not cry, she didn’t want to distract them by causing a scene.

“Your mom is the only woman he has ever love, if he could move heaven and earth for her, he would, but things are not always under our control. I am not saying, how he treated you was alright. But I wish for you to understand him.” Nana Sonia reached out her hand and pat Byul’s knee.

“How about me Nana? I was just a kid. I lost my mom, and then you left me too. I was alone in that house with him.” Byul’s lip trembled as her emotions come washed over her. “I ate alone. I miss my mom but I couldn’t cry because he’s going to get angry he might spank me again for being a cry baby. He never talked to me, he always shouts. He is always angry at me, he hate me so much he wouldn’t even take a glance at me, or at the father’s day cards I made for him. I was scared at night at the thought of having monsters under my bed that I couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t move, I was sitting frozen in it in the dark, silently crying because I don’t have anyone to rescue me." A single tear rolled down her cheek.

"And then I grew up, and now I’m the one who’s angry, I am the one hating, and I am much more scared, this time … by the monster living within me. And still, I don’t have anyone to turn to.”

Nana Sonia wept and hug Byul. Repeating the words, I’m sorry, like a mantra.

Yongsun covered as she silently cries with them. Byul is such a broken person, and that thought squeezes heart.

Byul calmed down and she sniffed as she wiped her tears. “I’m sorry Nana….”

The old woman smiled at her with a hint of sadness and sympathy. “Never apologize for showing your emotions.”

Byul smiled at her lightly. She took something out of her pocket and handed it to Nana. It’s the picture of her and Wheein with the boy.

“It’s the reason I came here Nana… I was hoping you could tell me who that boy is.”

Nana Sonia remained quiet, she then closed her eyes and sighed. “Where did you get this?”

“I wasn’t the one who found it.” Byul eyebrows furrowed. “Do you know him, Nana?”

Nana Sonia looked at Byul for a moment. She seemed to contemplate on what to say, her warm gaze is making Byul anxious.

Nana drop her gaze towards the photo, she touched it like the way you would touch the things which are very important and fragile.

“His name is Ravi.”

That name does sound familiar in Byul’s ears. She may have interacted with the boy more than she and Wheein can remember.

Nana looked at Byul for a long moment while Byul patiently waited for her to say more. Yongsun was at the edge of her seat aware of the heavy air surrounding them.

Nana reached out to hold one of Byul’ hands as if to support her. “Have you asked your father about him?”

Byul nod. “Someone did. He didn’t say anything.”

She leaned a little closer to Nana. “Who is he Nana?”

Nana gave her a bittersweet smile.

“He’s your brother.”

The silence that followed was deafening Yongsun can physically feel the pressure in her ears, the gnawing feeling that at any moment Byul is going to explode.

Byul who felt like the world is spiraling and she was casted out to a different dimension. The word brother was ringing in her ears over and over, like a sick mantra that casts a curse on her.

She blinked once, twice, before she tried to speak gaping like a fish out of the water.

“How?” The only word she can say at the moment.

Nana reached for her hand. “It’s best if you ask your father about this. He could tell-“

“No!” Byul abruptly stood up, facing Nana, anger is starting to boil within her. “He wouldn’t tell me anything.”

“Byulyi you have to calm down.” Nana pleaded.

“How?” Byul ran her fingers through her silver hair. “How the did I have a brother when I was the first and only child my mom had carried?”

Nana Sonia didn’t say anything but looked at Byul with sympathy and understanding.

Byul was nearing to her breaking point, the various emotions are running through her, all tangled up forming a knot squeezing her, making her feel suffocated.

“He cheated on my mom. That ING bastard cheated on my mom!”

Nana Sonia winced on how Byul had addressed her father. She remained quiet cause she didn’t know what to say. Byul is all grown up and she’s far different from that sweet little girl Areum used to call Little Hamzi.

Byul was holding her head, pacing back and forth as she tried to absorbed the truths she uncovered. Nana watched her, teary eyed for the helplessness she felt for her.

Yongsun was watching them silently, holding her breath. Seeing Moon Byul that torn was so heartbreaking. She may not know the whole story but from the bits and pieces of information she heard she can easily conclude that Byul hated her father and that she had lost her mother. She suddenly felt the urge to hug her, just to comfort her, to make her feel that she is not alone at this moment.

Nana Sonia stood up and held Byul’s shoulder. “Your father loves your mother so much, Byulyi. He made stupid mistakes but-“

“No.” Byul said barely a whisper. She took her hands off her hair and look at Nana, eyes burning with rage. “He didn’t love her. He cheated on her. He made her suffer. He broke her and it’s because of him I lost her.” Byul’s jaw clenched, her eyes red from unshed tears. “And because I remind him of her, he made me suffer with him. He made my life miserable.”

“Oh Byulyi..” Nana hugged her while she cried. She shouldn’t have left her. She should’ve stayed and watch out for her. She shouldn’t have put too much faith in the thought that they would support each other. If she was there, little Hamzi wouldn’t have grown up so broken and shattered.

“If there is one thing I can guarantee you is the fact that your father loves you and your mother so much he-“

“BULL!” Byul’s voice roared inside that little room. Sooyoung, Nana Sonia’s daughter, appeared inside the room when she heard Byul shout.

Yongsun stood up and held Byul’s arm, “Byul” she whispered. Byul looked at her, heaving from so much emotion. She momentarily forgot that she was with her. Yongsun’s presence somehow sobered her up. But she was shaking. She was angry.

“I’m sorry Nana.” She said in quiet, clipped tone. “We’re leaving.” She bowed her head a little before she strides towards the door. Yongsun bowed to the elderly woman and her daughter and hurriedly went after Byul.

Byul entered her truck first and Yongsun followed suit. They were silent for a moment before Byul started the engine and drove. Yongsun can still see through her peripheral vision that Byul was clenching her jaw. Her hands on the steering wheels are shaking. They drove for a good distance when Byul stopped and parked at the side of the road, Yongsun looked around and she saw a nearby playground. Her attention was brought back inside the car when she heard Byul sighed, she looked at her and she was repeatedly running her hand through her hair, her other hand is gripping the steering wheel hard.

Yongsun bit her lip as she tried to assess if she should say something, and what exactly is she going to say. She was sure that Byul never wanted her to witness what happened earlier and the things she heard. She glanced at her and her head was low, she was heaving while both of her hands are gripping the steering wheel. Yongsun wanted to reach and touch her, she wanted to comfort her, she badly wanted to hug her but she resisted. She didn’t want to tick her off so she decided to call her name instead.

“Byul…”

“Don’t ask.” She said, her voice hoarse.

Yongsun leaned back to her seat and sighed. She looked at the deserted playground near them as she wondered about Byul’s life. That revelation Nana Sonia told her literally broke her. Considering that she hated her father then, how much rage was she holding against him now. She can’t help but to worry, there is a strong desire, a need for her to mend what was left of Byul’s heart.

She heard her shift in her seat. Yongsun turned to her and she was leaning her head on the backrest of the seat looking at the playground. Her hair was a mess, her eyes red and shiny from unshed tears.

“I miss her.” Her voice was husky, filled with emotion. “I always see her in my sleep, but I still miss her.”

Yongsun was quiet, waiting for her to say more, but what comes next are huge droplets of tears. She looked so defeated and Yongsun can’t suppress herself anymore she bravely reached out for Byul’s hand.

Byul looked at their hands, Yongsun tighten her grip expecting her to snatch it away but she was surprised when Byul adjusted herself and leaned her forehead on her shoulder. Yongsun stiffened, her heartbeat sped up and she felt her cheeks burn. She closed her eyes for a moment and when she was about to wrap her arms around her for a hug, Byul spoke up.

“Stay still.” She whispered as she adjusted her head.

Yongsun leaned on her seat, as she let Byul cry and lean on her.

No words were said between them as Byul silently weep. Yongsun leaned her head on top of Byul and closed her eyes. She liked this closeness they have right now, she liked it a lot but she wished this to happen for different reason and not because Byul was hurting.

They stayed like that for a while that Yongsun started to feel drowsy, she was trying to see if Byul had stopped crying when she suddenly moved back to her seat. She fixed herself, wiping her tears using her shirt’s sleeves. She ran her hand through her hair and heave a sigh. Yongsun was just watching her the whole time when she suddenly turned to her. Her eyes were puffy and her cheeks are flushed from crying. She cleared before she spoke up.

“Are you still up for the ice cream?” Her voice was a lot huskier and although she is not smiling, her expression was a lot lighter and softer.

Yongsun smiled at her. “Sure. It is still your treat.”

Byul gave her a small smile before she started the engine and drove off.

Yongsun lead Byul to her favorite ice cream shop, home of the best ice cream in town according to her. She let Byul order for her while she waited at a bench in the sidewalk nearby.

“Here.”

Yongsun instantly smile from ear to ear when Byul gave her a strawberry flavored ice cream. She took it and Byul sat beside her as they watched the street while they silently ate. Yongsun can’t contain her smile, Byul remembered her favorite ice cream flavor.

“You are smiling like that again.” Byul said side eyeing her.

“Like what?” Yongsun asked.

“Like you’re crazy.” Byul said with a playful tone seemingly teasing her.

Yongsun giggled. “Shut up.”

Byul had a small smile. Yongsun’s smile made her feel light hearted; it’s so beautiful that it instantly calmed her. And the sound of her giggles, it’s so good. She likes it so much it’s ridiculous. Having this woman beside her right now is strangely comforting.

“You remembered.”

Byul looked at Yongsun and she was still smiling looking at her ice cream, she then looked at Byul and there goes that smile again. “You remembered my favorite flavor.”

Byul looked away as she hummed. She didn’t say anything much till they both finished their food. The night is a little windy and Byul noticed Yongsun was hugging herself, she can see the goosebumps rising from her skin.

She clicked her tongue and stood up. “Wait here.”

Yongsun watched her go to where her truck was parked. She can’t exactly see what she was doing because of the distance but she seems to pick something from the backseat and then walk back to where Yongsun was sitting.

“Here.”  Byul was offering her jacket. Yongsun looked up to her and she looked away as she put her free hand in her pocket.

“Take it and wear it.”

Yongsun took it and wrap it around her shoulder. She looked at Byul and thanked her but Byul shook her head and took the jacket, held it and motioned Yongsun to wear it. Yongsun turned her back to Byul as she helped her wear the jacket’s sleeve on her arms. She instantly felt relieved as the warmth embraced her. She thanked Byul for the second time.

They remained quiet, just sitting together, watching the cars pass by, and enjoying the comfort they feel from each other’s company. Until Byul decided to break the silence.

“Are you not going to ask?” She said her eyes still on the streets.

Yongsun played with her thumb. “I want to. But you told me not to.”

Byul sighed and stretched her legs, her hands clasp together in front of her. Her look was so far away.

“My mom died when I was five.” Byul cleared . “Since the day she died until now, I dream of her every night.”

Yongsun was quiet, waiting for more.

“Since she passed away, my father pushed me away. He became so strict, he never looked at me like he used to, he never cared, he never talks to me and asked anything about me. He’s always angry. I was scared of him when I was little, but that fear turned into resentment as I uncover some truths about my mom’s death.” Byul played with her thumb. “At first I wanted to please him. I did well at school, joined some sports, but he never acknowledge my efforts. Then I got into trouble and he was pissed, and it may sound sick, but I like it.” Byul looked at Yongsun. “I intentionally got into trouble to anger him, a twisted way to get revenge, but I didn’t realize I got into deep that I can’t get out even if I wanted to.”

Yongsun patiently waited for more but Byul looked away and became quiet so she decided to speak up.

“I grew up without my parents around.” Byul looked at her. “They are always away doing their business. I grew up to the care of our helpers. But despite that, both of them always puts an effort to not make me feel abandoned, they never fail to make me feel loved. They would always try to make time for me and I appreciate their efforts so much.” Yongsun looked at Byul and met her eye. “I think your mom would do the same if she could, and was always with you even at those times when you thought you are alone.”

Byul looked away, her eyes teary. She didn’t want to cry twice on the same night in front of Yongsun.

“Why do you want to be my friend?” Byul asked her.

“I don’t know. I just felt the need to.”

Byul looked back at her and they stared at each other for a while, lost in each other’s eyes as if trying to look at each other’s souls.

Unbeknownst to them there was a man who was shocked watching them from the other side of the street.

Eric can’t possibly believe it when he saw Yongsun hanging out with that Troublemaker. But then he thought that maybe she was forcing her, Yongsun is a fragile woman, and maybe she threatened her to do something for her. He was about to cross the street when he saw three men approached them.

Yongsun was the one to look away when she felt like someone was beside them. She looked at the three men smirking at them.

“What do we have here?” Jun still has a plaster on his nose to conceal the injury he got from their previous fight.

Byul abruptly stood up upon hearing Jun’s voice. She tried to hide Yongsun out of Jun’s sight by covering her with her body.

“Got a little date?” Jun said chuckling.

“What do you want?” Byul said glaring at Jun.

Jun gave her a sick smile. “What if I told you I want that girl, would you give her?”

“No.” Byul stepped a little closer to him. “Get the out of here.”

Yongsun stood up when she sensed that the people who approached them was going to cause trouble.

“Why? Don’t you want to share your ?” Jun clicked his tongue. “Aren’t you a little greedy.”

Byul seethed at the word Jun used to address Yongsun. She clenched her jaw trying to hold herself.

“Go away.” Byul said in a clipped tone. She’s trying so hard not to punch Jun; she didn’t want to lose herself in front of Yongsun.

“Why? Your didn’t know you’re a bad, bad person? Or her ’s so good you don’t want to share?”

Byul reached for Jun’s collar and was about to punch him when she felt a tug of her shirt from her back.

“Byul… Please, no…” Yongsun’s voice was soft.

Byul glared at the smirking Jun. She was considering punching him and beating him into pulp but the grip on her shirt tightened. So her grip on him tightened also before she pushed him off.

Jun chuckled as he fixed his shirt. “Wow…. You have an owner now huh, and she’s training you well.”

Yongsun was still griping Byul’s shirt when she heard her whisper without taking her eyes away from the three men.

“On the count of three, we run.”

“Huh?” Yongsun looked at the back of Byul’s head.

“One.” She continued to whisper.

“Two.” Byul grabbed Yongsun’s hand that’s holding her shirt.

Jun eyebrows furrowed at them when he caught Byul’s mouth move seemingly whispering.

“Three!” Byul shouted and they sprinted. She was running while holding Yongsun’s hand, she slowed her pace a little so the other girl can keep up. They ran to where her truck was parked.

Jun was startled at first and then demanded the two men to get them.

Byul tightened her grip on Yongsun’s hand as she tugs her to quicken their pace. When they reach the car, she immediately opened the passenger side and let Yongsun in then ran at the opposite side. She started the engine and as the two men reach them, she drove off.

Yongsun was leaning at the backrest of the seat, hands on her chest heaving. She looked at Byul who was also heaving and burst into laughter.

She laughed so much she sounded like a dolphin. Byul took a quick glance at her.

“You’ve gone crazy.”

Yongsun snorted. “That was fun.”

Byul looked like she heard that Yongsun say her dog can talk.

“Do you realize what they could do if they catch us? Considering that you don’t want me to fight.” Byul said sounding accusatory at the last statement.

“But they didn’t catch us, so…” Yongsun said shrugging her shoulder. “You were so courageous back there.”

Byul looked at Yongsun for a moment and she was smiling at her.

“You call running away courageous?”

“It takes a brave person to stood up against their oppressors, but it takes a courageous person to defeat there urges, control their emotions, and turn away at a pointless battle all the same time.”

Byul didn’t say anything back.

They drove for a while until they stopped in front of Yongsun’s house. They were quiet and it seemed that Yongsun doesn’t have a plan to get out of the car.

“I’m sorry about earlier.” Byul said.

Yongsun looked at her a little confused on why Byul was apologizing.

“About those guys. The way they called you, they are just ing s.” Byul’s expression became grim at the thought of them.

“You know them? Who are they?”

“No one. Just some of those people who doesn’t like me.” Byul said lightly. “I think you should go in. It’s getting late.”

Yongsun sighed. “Okay.” She took off her seatbelt and open the car door, when she was about to close it Byul called out to her.

“Yongsun.” Yongsun looked at her a little shocked. It’s the second time she heard Byul say her name. Their eyes met and Byul gave her usual small smile. “Thank you.”

Yongsun smiled, her eyes turned to shining crescents. “Goodnight, Byulyi.”

“Goodnight.”

Yongsun entered her room with a huge smile on her face. She jumped on her bed and lay on her back staring at the ceiling. There are a lot of things happened in a short span of time and although some of the things she knew about Byul was awful, she can’t help the happiness she feels at the thought of Byul slowly allowing her to her world.

She sniffed the jacket she lent her and the smell of her perfume was still present. She loves it so much. She closed her eyes and saw the image if Byul crying, laughing, and her small smile.

Yongsun sighed then rolled on her bed, clutching the jacket to keep it. With its smell and warmth, it’s as if Byul was hugging her.

At that thought, she stopped moving and abruptly sat up. She rumpled her hair as she low-key squealed because of how embarrass she is to herself.

Gosh! Moon Byulyi, you are driving me crazy!