You're....... different

When the Sun shines

When Byul met Jin, Sanduel, Ken, and Hani she thought they would be the only people who would care and accept her and befriend her. Although they came from different walks of life, their similar ways in living lead them to cross paths. They have their own personal battles and life struggles who molded who they are and it also became the knot that tied them together, never breaking at any given circumstances and situations. It seems as if they are all cut from the same cloth so they add up as one. She thought they were the only people she needed. They always made her feel that she is not abandoned and alone. They are her family.

But then, there’s  Ms. Kim Yongsun whom she just recently met. The ever persistent girl who never ceases to try to go beyond her set border. The girl who always tries to peek through her walls and see what's behind it. Byul fears the fact that there is something about her that she cannot resist. Maybe her cheerful aura, or her annoying smile, or her twinkling eyes, or maybe her whole bright personality that tremendously affects Byul in ways she can not fathom.

The last four Fridays they spent together preparing for the Saturday activities made Byul realize some things about her. Yongsun would always initiate conversations and Byul, although at first tried to shut it, eventually let her. She shares a lot of stories about herself, her family, her friends and Byul may not seem interested but secretly listening attentively. She can't help but to compare their life and how different they are. She would often wonder what could have happened if her mother was there as she grew up. Would she still be like who she is right now, or would she be a whole different person much like Yongsun. She would never know.

There are times where Byul would give a little bit of information about herself just to stop Yongsun from asking a lot of questions. It works all the time because it would turn the conversation to her liking or not liking, agreeing or disagreeing to what Byul had said.

Byul remembers one particular time when they are sorting some toys and Yongsun was asking what she liked to play when she was a kid, and her attention was caught by a puppy plushie. Without taking her eyes off the toy, she told Yongsun that she used to play with her dog Daebak. She was startled when Yongsun shouted “really!” and then continued to blab about her also having a dog named Jingjing and how she got her when she was thirteen as a gift from her mom and how they became inseparable since. Byul can't stop the small smile as she would jump from one story to another. At first, she was deeply annoyed by Yongsun's talkativeness but as she spent time with her she became hooked to her random stories that she somehow looked forward to, allowing Byul to know her little by little.

Byul had painted Yongsun's personality in her head based on her stories. She is undeniably a compassionate person that always sees the good in every person, even the most evil one. She is a person who would always want to fix things that she thought were not in order. A person who always values another person's feelings. A person who always sees the bright side of things. A person that everyone would certainly love. 

 

"Byul!"

 

Byul looked up to see Yongsun waving at her as she made her way towards her.

There's that annoying bright smile again.

"Have you been waiting for too long?" Yongsun asked as soon as she approached her.

"No. Just a few minutes."  Byul said standing straight.

"We were held back for a few minutes in our history class. Mr Park was so carried away with the discussion."

Byul didn't answer her. She is waiting for Yongsun to open the classroom but it seems like she does not have any plan to do so. She looked at her questioningly.

"There's nothing much to prepare for tomorrow. We plan on storytelling and music related activities." Yongsun said to answer her silent question.

"So this is a free Friday afternoon?"

"Yeah. This is your free Friday afternoon." Yongsun said, slightly smiling at Byul. She felt a little sad cause she won't be able to spend time with her. Their meetings had become one of the things Yongsun looks forward to at the end of each week. Byul is giving crumbs of information about herself to her and although it's all just minimal information she felt happy because it could also mean that Byul is slowly becoming comfortable with her.

Byul's eyebrows slightly scrunched. "MY free afternoon." She said emphasizing the pronoun she used. "Isn't your free afternoon too? Do you have any other things to do?"

Yongsun did the sparkling eye smile again and it made Byul's stomach do backflips. Byul looked at her wide eyes like she's a foreign creature.

"You're extra talking today." Yongsun took one step closer to Byul, still smiling. "And you even inquired something about me."

Byul rolled her eyes as she huffed. "I'm going."

She started walking and Yongsun immediately caught up to her.

"Can I walk with you?"

Byul didn't answer her cause she knew that even when she said no, Yongsun wouldn’t listen to her.

"I'm going to a bookstore to search for books to read to the kids tomorrow." Yongsun said while she walked beside Byul answering the latter's question earlier. 

Byul halted her step for a while, then proceeded to walk again as she contemplated a thought that crossed her mind. 

Yongsun looked at Byul out of curiosity when she seemed to stop walking but before she could ask her she started to take her huge steps again. She secretly watched her as they walked in silence. In the past few Fridays they spent together she was able to learn some random facts about Byul. She also observed some expressions and mannerisms she often does when she felt a particular feeling or when she's doing something.

Her little actions which she finds so endearing like the way her eyebrows would meet when she's annoyed, or when she puts her hands in her pocket when she's feeling emotionally guarded or anxious, or how she scratches her ears when she is frustrated, annoyed, or in deep thought like she is doing right now.

Yongsun can't help but smile at how cute and serene Byul looks as she continues to scratch her ear, buried in her thoughts.

Byul suddenly turned to look at Yongsun and she immediately looked everywhere but her. She just wished that Byul didn't catch her staring.

She might think I'm a creep.

"Ms Kim", Byul stopped walking and faced her, "I'll be the one to buy the books. I'll give it to you early tomorrow. You should go home."

Yongsun did not expect that Byul would suggest that. She thought that she might like the idea of having a free Friday afternoon considering how she reacted with the whole volunteering idea before.

She smiled at her. "It's okay... I can do it."

"But you'll do that task today and then you'll also attend the activities tomorrow, and I did nothing."

"I told you it's okay. If you are worried about your performance in the evaluation, it won't affect it. Other volunteers also had their free days." Yongsun said. She turned and continued walking.

"What if I go buy the books ... 

…. With you."

Yongsun stopped and abruptly turned to look at Byul. She had her hands in her pocket as she was staring wide eyed at her. She looks a little anxious.

Yongsun smiled at her and giggled a little. Byul looks so cute and she wished she could pinch her cheeks. She would want to ask her why but she didn't want to push her since she knew Byul did not like explaining herself. She wants to spend time with her and this is the perfect opportunity to spend time with her outside the four corners of that classroom. A change of environment.

"What? Is that idea so funny?" Byul asked, her eyebrows are in one line, clearly annoyed.

Yongsun rolled her eyes at her making Byul's frown deeper. She is clearly a very impatient and hot tempered person. Not to mention how she also likes to assume all the negative things about other people.

"Nope and sure you could come." 

Yongsun walked towards the gate.

"Where are you going?"

Yongsun looked at Byul confused. "Uhm.. At the gate.."

"I got a ride." Byul turned to walk to the parking lot. Yongsun immediately followed her. It was great that Byul had her own ride. Yongsun texted their family driver that she would catch a ride in a friend’s car. She followed Byul to the parking lot.

"It's nice that you brought your ca-", Yongsun stopped mid sentence when she saw the ride Byul was talking about. It’s not a car. It was a black motorcycle.

Of course it's not a car. I saw her ride THAT before.

Byul sat at her ride and revved the engine. She looked at Yongsun raising both of her eyebrows as if asking why Yongsun is still standing there.

"I think I'll just take a cab. Let's just see each other at the nearest bookstore." Yongsun said as she slightly smiled at Byul. There is no way she is going to ride that deathtrap.

"That would be very inconvenient. And there are dozens of nearby bookstores." Byul said.

She has a point but still, Yongsun is skeptical. She heard about a lot of accidents involving motorcycles and most of it ends in tragic deaths. Just the thought of it gives Yongsun goosebumps.

Byul can see Yongsun’s hesitation. "Are you afraid to ride it?" 

Yongsun bit her lip as she nodded. Byul reached out for her helmet. She didn't bring any extra cause she's the only one to ride all the time.  She extended her hand holding the helmet towards Yongsun.

"Wear this to be safe." She said as she looked at Yongsun with an expression she never saw on her before . "I'll drive slowly and carefully."

Yongsun didn't know exactly what happened to her but she willingly took the helmet and wore it but it being her first time she was having a hard time to adjust the strap and lock it.

Byul is getting frustrated watching the woman in front of her struggling with a mere helmet. She gently pulled Yongsun towards her and adjusted the strap to fit and then she locked it. 

The close proximity with Byul is making Yongsun feel things she never felt before. It was weird, but it's good. She can smell Byul's perfume, a fragrance like of a forest, Woody and fresh mixed with her natural scent. It's intoxicating. She watched her and she realized how pretty she is up close. Eyes are a darker shade of brown and it's beautiful. 

Yongsun was startled when those brown eyes bore into her own. They are soft but guarded, deep and mysterious, full of repressed emotions.

Byul was the one to break their eye contact. She motioned for Yongsun to mount the motorcycle and offered her hand to help her. Yongsun's hands are soft and Byul had the urge to not let it go.

"You have to hold on to me or you'll fall." Byul said, tilting her head to look at Yongsun.

Yongsun tentatively put her shaking hands at Byul's waist.

"You'll need to hold tighter." Byul took her hand and pulled it in front of her stomach making her scoot closer to Byul, her front pressed into her back.

Yongsun's heartbeat picks up out of nervousness caused by the mixed thought of riding a motorcycle and Byul's close proximity. She bit her lip as heat rose to her cheeks. She's been friends with Hyejin since they are little and they would often hug each other as a form of greeting and comfort but she never experienced this weird feeling with her.

As  Byul accelerated, Yongsun closed her eyes and leaned her head on her back, her hands tightening around Byul and she felt her body stiffened. Yongsun hopes that Byul won't feel her erratic heartbeat.

Byul slowly drove off. It was the first time that she allowed someone to to be her backride. The warmth of Yongsun's body pressed against her back is surprisingly comforting. She rarely had physical contact with other people. She would often feel awkward and uncomfortable. But with Yongsun, it surprisingly felt good.

It's roughly fifteen minutes when they spot the nearest bookstore. They parked at the nearby park's parking lot as the store doesn't have its own. Both got off the motorcycle and walked a few minutes towards the bookstore without sharing a word.

The store was small with a few shelves of books. Byul followed Yongsun as she browsed the shelves looking for children's books. She would sometimes stop when she saw books that seem interesting for her. She would read it's summary at the back and then would return it to the shelf she got it from.

Byul never had an interest in reading. She doesn't have any patience to go through a large stack of pages full of words. Reading for her was least entertaining. But obviously to Yongsun it was interesting as she watched her browse and take a read and being so absorbed in it. Her eyes fixed on Yongsun’s face. She is undeniably pretty, Byul would be stupid if she says she isn't. Maybe that's the reason why she is annoyed at her the first time they have conversed. That's maybe the reason why she's annoyed with her smile. It gives her feelings that she doesn't want.

She didn't quite remember when those Fridays that she dreaded before became the days that she anticipates. She would not want to admit it out loud but she is becoming accustomed to Yongsun's talkativeness and presence.

"These books are quite good." Yongsun said as she turned to look at Byul. "Do you read books?"

"No."

"Then what do you do to pass time?" Yongsun asks curiously.

Byul just shrugged her shoulders. Yongsun pouted because of the detached response Byul gave her. She turned and made her way to the children's section of the bookstore. From the variety of books, Yongsun picked some and read. She returned most of the books that she got which made Byul confused.

"Why are you returning them to the shelves?"

"Because these stories are the popular ones so the kids may have already heard them. I am looking for books that I think they haven't heard yet." Yongsun explained without looking at Byul.

Byul sighed. She didn't expect Yongsun to be so meticulous on buying a simple thing like a story book.

Yongsun turned to her. "Let's go."

Byul noticed that she is not holding anything and she is heading to the door.

Byul followed her. "Ms Kim... You're not buying?"

"Nope. Let's try the other stores here. I might find some interesting books there."

They made their way to the sidewalk walking towards the opposite way from where they came from earlier.

Yongsun entered bookstore after bookstore and would often browse the fiction section before she would look at the children's section. Every bookstore they enter and exit would take a cut at Byul's patience. On the sixth one they entered, Byul spoke up.

"You already bought four different books. How many more are you going to buy?" She asked while they walked through the aisle.

"I plan to buy five books so we'll have to look for one more." Yongsun turns and raises her eyebrows towards her. "Why? Are you tired?"

Byul sighed. "No."

They entered two more stores before Yongsun could buy all the books she needed. As they exit the last store, they come to realize that they have walked far from where Byul parked her motorcycle.

They stood at the side walk facing each other. "Ahm..... I think I should take a cab.." Yongsun said, a little bit skeptical. She wants to spend more time with Byul but she does not have any more excuses to tell.

Byul looked at the street left and right as if she's looking for something. She then looked at Yongsun while slowly scratching her ear.

"I can take you home."

A smile slowly crept in Yongsun's lips making her little dimples appear. Byul quickly looked away.

"Okay." Yongsun said and started walking back to the direction of the park. Byul turned and silently started walking.

They walk together in silence for quite some time enjoying the cool breeze of the early evening. When they reached the front of the first store they entered Yongsun broke the silence.

"Thank you."

Byul looked at Yongsun . She was looking in front of them with a small smile.

"What are you thanking me for?"

"Well, I gave you a free afternoon but you choose to help me even if the task is as simple as buying books." Yongsun turned to look at Byul and their eyes met.

Byul immediately turned her gaze in front of them.

"I just want to make sure I pass the evaluation." Byul said knowing fully well that is not the exact reason.

Yongsun slowly nodded. "Hmm.... Of course."

Despite what Byul had said, Yongsun can't help but think that maybe, somehow, she is slowly warming up to her. She is not as snarky as before and now they can have some casual conversations. But then, Yongsun wanted more. She wants to know Byul much deeper. It's just that her walls are so well built that it's really hard to crack.

Yongsun sighed and looked up. The sky is so clear she can evidently see the stars twinkling like little diamonds scattered in a black cloth. They seem so alive, so real, so near that it seems she could almost touch them.

"You should watch your way while walking."

Yongsun turned her gaze towards Byul and saw that she was looking at her.

Yongsun smiled. "The stars are so beautiful."

"What's so beautiful about a ball of burning gas?"

"Hmm... Maybe their ability to shine and give life to the dull black sky?"

"Aren't you supposed to be appreciating the dull black sky more for it highlights those stars?"

Yongsun looked at Byul. "Do you? Do you see it first and appreciate it more than the stars when you watch the sky at night?"

"No. There's a lot more important things I need to watch in my life rather than those superficial s."

"Those superficial - .. things can somehow put people at ease."

"It can never solve problems and end suffering."

Yongsun bit her lip before she answered. "Jamie once said that without suffering there'd be no compassion."

"Who needs compassion when no one’s suffering."

Yongsun didn't respond. Somehow what Byul said makes sense. But then the good and the bad things keep the world in balance. Both need to exist for a perfect symmetry. Bad things happen for us to be able to appreciate and value the good things. It teaches us virtues and emotional values that makes our experiences memorable and our living worthwhile.

"Who is Jamie?"

Yongsun looked at Byul and saw that she is intently watching her, face laced with curiosity. She can't help but to giggle a little for this is the very first time she saw her with that expression.

She is absolutely cute.

Byul raised her eyebrows at her and then suddenly frowned. "What?"

Yongsun shook her head while still smiling. "Jamie is one of the main characters in the movie I watched. It was actually a film adaptation of a romantic novel."

Byul hummed. She returned her gaze on the street as she unconsciously put her hands in her pocket. They continue to walk side by side with respectable distance between them. Both lost in their own thoughts. 

When they were near the park's entrance Byul stopped and faced Yongsun.

"Let's walk through the park towards the parking lot. It'll be shorter in distance compared to going around the street."

Yongsun nodded. "Okay."

It's still early but the park almost looks deserted. People may have gone their way home or to have dinner. There were just a few in groups talking amongst themselves and seemingly having a great time enjoying each other's company. Some seem to be families and there are few who seem to be couples having their date.

Byul cringed when a couple stole a kiss from each other when they thought no one was looking at them. That's just something that irk her at some point. Not the action but the reactions. They are making those actions, kissing and , a big deal as if it really is that amazing. She had a fair share of intimate moments with others before but it wasn't with deep emotional attachment. Those times are just for the sake of getting by.

People really like to indulge themselves with those kinds of intimacy just to get by. Then they are going to get used to it with the other person that they become dependent, so they would do anything to keep the other person most often using overrated excuses such as love.

Byul put her hands in the pocket of her pants. The wind is a little bit cold. She glances sideways to look at Yongsun and she seems to be so deep in her thoughts to be bothered by the cold. She is so quiet and Byul is not used to it.

"So you are into that kind of stuff. It's actually not surprising." Byul said, breaking the silence catching Yongsun's attention.

She looked at her a little confused. "What stuff?"

"Romantic stuff." Saying that out loud leaves a bitter taste in Byul's mouth.

"Oh....." Yongsun bit her lip, for some reason she felt a little bit embarrassed. "There's nothing wrong about it.  I mean, everyone would want to find their one true love to spend their life with."

Byul hummed. "i didn't say it is wrong……. Don't your friends and family love you? Have you not felt it?"

 Yongsun scoffed as she looked at Byul seemingly offended by her question. "Of course they love me. I've felt it and they continue to make me feel it...... Are you saying I lack affection that's why I am into romantic things?"

Byul looked at her. "No. It's just that if you genuinely feel their love for you that would mean their love for you  is true.... So why would you look for something you already have?" Byul gave Yongsun a lingering gaze before turning her gaze in front of them.

"People associate that phrase to romance so much that they often overlook the fact that they already have it..... They sensationalize it so much that it slowly loses it's true meaning and value. That “one true love” agenda is the pinnacle of lies and deception. There is no such thing as “one true love” for you truly love every person close to you. Reducing the value of love a person feels for the people close to them  for the delusion of exclusivity to one person as the ultimate love is so ridiculous and pathetic."

Yongsun was overwhelmed with Byul's words that she can't conjure a proper response.

"It's ironic that ty people seek what you call "true love" on this world full of s that's caused by the same ty people."

"Not all people in this world are THAT kind of people.”

“Whatever. Tell that to the people who have been ed up ty people.”

“It's true that there are a lot of bad people but there are also a lot of good one. Some people should stop lingering on the bad side. Time and Time again they just have to look at the brighter side of things."

 Byul clenches her jaw as she responds. " There are no bright sides when you're living in pure darkness Ms. Kim." She turned to look at Yongsun. "Not all people are lucky enough to live in a bright colorful world that when it gets cloudy there's a brighter side. Some are in darkness with nothing to see, not the future, not the other people, not even the path they are currently taking. Some may even be standing on a cliff without realizing it until they fall and forever lost.... By now you should have known that while the other side of the world is bright and sunny the other is covered in darkness. You can't ask the people in the darkness to look at something bright when there wasn't in the first place." Byul regarded Yongsun with a cold stare for a few seconds before she returned her gaze in front of them.

Yongsun took a deep breath as she absorbed Byul's words. She wanted to give a good response but she knows that she can't give her opinion on something she didn't know or experienced.

So it's the darkness the reason why people in that situation seem to not see those people who are trying to help them?

"Is that the case for you? Is that the reason why you seem to not see the people around you?"

Byul didn't respond. She does not want to talk anything about that to other people. She just met Yongsun and though she seems genuinely nice, Byul can't be sure.

"Is it?" Yongsun pushed looking directly at Byul. "Or is it just you choose not to acknowledge them?"

Byul remained silent. A deafening silence surrounded them for a couple of minutes until Yongsun decided to speak again.

"Maybe if you try to open yourself more, people will see the real you."

Byul's head snapped as she abruptly looked at Yongsun. "Why Ms. Kim, do you know the real me?" Byul eyes twitched as she glared at her. "The people you're referring to are predators who hunt for someone to kill. A little bit of mistake is like a drop of blood they sniff and follow and as their prey lays their guard down they lunge and attack. They're like vultures who feed from the weak. I don't want them in my life. I refuse to be their victim." Yongsun can feel the tension through the weight of Byul's glare.

But then she refuses to succumb so she looks at Byul directly in the eyes battling Byul's glare.

"Is that how you perceive me? Do you think I am one of those people?"

Byul was taken aback by Yongsun's question. She expected her to somehow cower and shut up, but she dared to strike back instead. She blinked a few times trying to bring herself on ground. 

Yongsun is still intently looking at her waiting for her answer.

Byul knew from the start that Yongsun is different from the others. She's talkative but she also listens. She's smart but still always curious. She is a virtuous person, but she never judges her.

"Answer me honestly please."

"No." Byul said in a low tone almost like a whisper. She avoided Yongsun's gaze and looked in front of them. She saw that they are nearly approaching the parking lot.

Byul sighed. "You're.......

…... different."

Yongsun smiled. Satisfied with Byul's answer.

"So can I at least play the role of being your friend?"

"I came up with that conclusion from the very few times I spent with you. I don't know if I am right. You are still a stranger to me."

"Then get to know me."

Byul looked at Yongsun and she was looking at her with a gaze that seemed to dare her.

"I am willing to open up myself to you if it's the only way for you to trust me....... Try me Byul."

Byul was confused as to why Yongsun was so adamant in invading her life. She can't think of a probable reason other than maybe Yongsun is just being sympathetic or worse, pitying her.

Byul closed her eyes for a few seconds as she tried to clear her mind.

"Do you have any idea what you're saying?" Byul said in a serious, cold tone. "I suggest that you take a few steps back and acknowledge boundaries."

Yongsun took a deep breath and sighed. Does she overdid it? She somehow got close to her but did she just unintentionally push her away? Her thoughts and the tension between them made her a little anxious.

She closed her eyes and breathed slowly for a minute to calm herself.

"I'm sorry if I offended you for being too straightforward." Yongsun said softly.

Byul didn't answer. She didn't know what to say. They walked in silence till they reached the parking lot.

They were a few feet from Byul's motorcycle when Yongsun suddenly stopped walking. Byul, a few steps ahead of her stopped when she noticed that Yongsun was just standing there. She looked at her questioningly.

Yongsun took a few steps to get a little closer to Byul. She stopped at a good distance in front of her and looked at her directly in the eyes, a calm gaze to a stormy one.

"You may not trust me now but someday you will. I can't give you an exact reason as to why I want to be your friend 'cause there's none other than I want you to be my friend too. ...... So I'll be your friend. Whether you like it or not."

Byul didn't say anything and just stared at Yongsun for a long minute. They were surrounded by silence while they stared at each other. Yongsun tried to read what could be in Byul's mind but her unreadable expression made it hard for her to do so.

Byul dropped her gaze to the ground and sighed. 

She turned to walk to her motorcycle and mount it. She held her helmet and looked at Yongsun.

"I'll take you home."

Yongsun made her way towards her. She didn't know if she successfully convinced Byul to trust and befriend her but she surely knew that she managed to make a crack on her walls.

As she held Byul's waist and leaned her head on her back, Yongsun couldn't help but smile. Being this physically close to her feels so weirdly amazing.

 

Byul stopped in front of the gate of Yongsun's house. Yongsun unwillingly let go of her and dismount the motorcycle. She stood there awkwardly biting her lip thinking of what to say. She looked up and saw that Byul was looking at her.

"Get inside. I'm going."

"Ah yeah..... Thank you for taking me home." Yongsun turned and made her way to the gate when Byul called her.

"Ms. Kim."

Yongsun abruptly looked at her. "Yeah?"

Byul held a paper bag towards her. "The books you bought."

"Oh..... Y-yeah. I almost forgot." Yongsun went back and took it from Byul. "Thank you."

She turned and with a hurried step she went inside. Byul sighed and was about to go when her phone rang. She wondered who would be calling. Her father never contacted her via cellphone call and her friends rarely do since they are always together.

She took it out of her pants pocket and saw that the caller was Jin. She was about to answer when the call stopped. She waited for a few seconds until her phone rings again, she answered it immediately.

"What now?" Byul asked, not bothering to say any greeting.

"Byul........"Jin paused. Something about his voice caught Byul's attention.

"Jin? What's going on?"

"Jun and his group found us." 

Byul clenches the phone she's holding.

"! Where are you?" Byul felt agitated. If Jun found them it means that her friends are in trouble.

"A block east of the Game House."

"Okay. I'll be there." Byul said as she revved her motorcycle.

"No." Jin said, sounding a little tough. "Go to Hani's house and wait for us there. If we did not arrive within fifteen minutes, call the police."

"WHAT?" Byul snapped. "No Jin. I'm not going to sit and wait! I'm going there!"

"No! Byul listen-"

Before Jin could finish his sentence Byul dropped the call. She put her phone back to her pocket and drove off. She is not going to sit and wait while she knows her friends are in trouble.

No matter what could be Jun's reason for why he hates them, Byul will make sure to end this dispute between them tonight.