Chapter 9

A Good Person

The night wasn't too cold and the day wasn't tiring so Sana was in a good mood. When she came back home she wasn't surprised she was alone and she used it. She decided to prepare dinner for everyone. She maybe wasn't the best cook but she definitely wasn't a terrible one. Then she got a message from Momo that she would go out with Nayeon. And it wasn't a bad thing. She wouldn't mind having dinner with Mina. For once alone. Sana was even more cheerful. But then she received a call from Mina. That kinda destroyed her plans. She said it was fine though. Mina barely hung out with her friends from work. So it was important. Sana ended up eating dinner while watching TV. Nothing new to her though. She was getting invested in some drama and it distracted her from the slight disappointment. The first to come back was Momo and Tzuyu. The two looked rather sad. Sana tried to talk with them but Momo didn't feel like it. They just sat and watched the drama together after Tzuyu fell asleep. Sana didn't want to be overbearing and she didn't text Mina to find out when she would be back home. It was getting late but Mina was an adult and a cop. And finally, Sana was left alone again when Momo went to sleep after midnight. Sana was still preventing herself from calling Mina but she was getting worried. So instead she called Mina's partner. Which was maybe not the best option but at least Mina wouldn't call her paranoid. Wendy picked up pretty fast and she immediately said that Mina was heading home then and ended the call. Sana didn't even say a word. Sana was calm then. She decided to wait in their bedroom. But perhaps that wasn't the best idea because she had to fight herself to stay awake. At last, Mina came into the room. Looking rather suspicious. Sana could tell even in her sleepy state that Mina was very nervous. 
"Mina, what's wrong?" Sana's sudden question startled Mina. She put her hands on her chest and took a deep breath. 
"You scared me. I thought you are asleep. Everything is fine." Mina definitely didn't seem fine. Sana observed Mina move awkwardly around the room. Mina not once actually looked at Sana. That meant they needed a confrontation.
"You did something. What is it?" Sana sat up in the bed and stared intimidatingly at Mina. But Mina took her PJs and tried to leave the room.
"No, I didn't." Mina was so close to leaving the room but Sana got up and closed the door again. Mina was seriously terrified then.
"Mina. I won't be upset. Just tell me." Sana's tone told Mina something different. That Sana would definitely be upset. She really played herself with that. But Mina felt so guilty and awful that she had to tell Sana the truth.
"I lied to you." A deafening silence fell upon them after the confession. Mina wasn't sure if that was a good thing. Or if it meant she would have to deal with a very upset Sana. Albeit Sana started laughing. Which confused Mina more.
"Nice joke. As if you were able to lie. You are the most honest person I know." But Mina's silence and confused face stopped Sana from laughing. There was no way Mina would lie. "You what? About what?"
"I didn't go out with people from work. I went to Jihyo. We made up, you see. We have talked honestly and we apologized. She told me why she was acting that way then. So before you get upset, please you need to listen and then talk with Jihyo." Mina ended her speech and waited anxiously for Sana's response. She hoped that Sana would get her common sense back and would want to fix the situation with Jihyo. Sana gave it a little thought before answering.
"I am honestly very shocked you lied and I don't like you did. But tell me what happened with Jihyo." Mina sighed in relief and she relaxed a bit. She can deal with that. Or she hoped she could. The important thing was to bring Sana and Jihyo back together as well. So they sat on the bed and Mina told Sana everything with details. And Sana felt awful for acting the way she did for those two months. Jihyo was in a dire situation and definitely didn't need more to be added to it.
"So, will you talk to her? She really isn't mad at you." There was no doubt Sana would talk with Jihyo. She needed to apologize and assure Jihyo that she had their full support. 
"I will. I will walk Tzuyu to Kindergarten and do it then or ask Jihyo to meet me after work." Mina nodded contented with the answer. Sana thought that she also could mention what happened with Momo as they were talking about those things.
"Momo and Tzuyu came back upset. Momo didn't want to talk though. They were out with Nayeon." Mina didn't want to think it was Nayeon's fault but there was a high chance it was. She was afraid that Momo might disregard the situation though and might not talk.
"I will try to talk to her tomorrow. Though it probably won't be that easy." Of course, it wouldn't be. Momo and Mina were similar in some ways. And being stubborn was one of them. If Momo didn't want to talk then they wouldn't get anything out of her. 
"Anyway, you lied?" Mina whined and hid her face in her hands. Sana and Jihyo would never let her forget about that ever. 
"You will never let me live, won't you? I already feel awful about that." Sana patted Mina on the head and laughed a little.
"And I think that's enough of a punishment. But also, no games for you." Sana sounded serious and Mina knew better than to argue. But seriously?
"Who are you, my mom?" Sana slapped Mina on the arm and shot her a glare. And so Mina accepted her fate of no games.


"Before you say anything, I am very sorry." Jihyo wasn't sure how to feel when she saw Sana was the one dropping Tzuyu off at kindergarten. She hoped that she was there to talk and not to kill her. So it was a nice surprise when Sana apologized to Jihyo after Tzuyu ran to her friends.
"I know. I am sorry as well." Sana shook her head and gestured for Jihyo to stay quiet.
"No. Mina told me everything. Jihyo, I am sorry for acting like an overprotective mom. I was just scared that Mina would get hurt. She is so fragile. I mean you know that. So when she was hurt after your talk I got really furious. And it was definitely unreasonable. You had the right to do that. I want you to know that you have our full support. So, you should move in us." Jihyo was staring blankly at Sana. Sana's speech put Jihyo in an emotional rollercoaster. But the last part made her baffled
"Hold on. What? I mean, I am glad you realized you were overreacting and all. And I am very grateful you will support me. But moving in with you?" Well, Sana didn't exactly discuss it with anyone. Though she talked with Mina and she hinted on it. Mina always was great at reading her so she must've figured it out, right? It was just a good idea. Jihyo and Dahyun would have a safe haven. Their mother wouldn't come there to guilt-trip them or god knows do what to them.
"You would be safe with us. And Dahyun could play with Tzuyu all day long. Before your mother would get the order she definitely won't stop bothering you. And even after she receives it she could still be doing that. She doesn't know where we live so she wouldn't find us so easily." Sana made sense to Jihyo. But she couldn't just decide there on the spot. She would have to give it a better thought and discuss it with Jeongyeon. She was sure Dahyun would be thrilled though.
"I need to think about this. This is a big decision. Thank you, really." Sana smiled brightly at Jihyo. She understood the hesitation.
"Of course. Think it over and let us know. Just don't tell Dahyun until you are very sure. She won't let you think it through. You would have to move in." Jihyo nodded and smiled back at Sana. But they had to stop their conversation because more children were approaching the kindergarten's gates. Sana and Jihyo wished each other a good day then. Sana went to work feeling relieved. She was glad Jihyo actually wasn't mad at her and accepted the apologies. She didn't have to worry anymore. At least about that. She hoped that Mina was successful at getting Momo to talk. So she didn't have to worry at all.


It was obvious what it was. It was an interrogation. Mina really had a work-related-bias. Though Momo wasn't exactly sure if Mina was doing it unconsciously or was she fully aware of it. It was never easy to read Mina. But it was definitely easy to read Momo. The two sisters were sitting in the car in front of Momo's work. And Momo would've left if Mina didn't lock the doors. Being a cop changed her sister.
"Momo. Believe me. It will be easier if you tell me." Momo was sure that was the same sentence Mina used on the criminals. And then she would use whatever Momo said to her advantage.
"You say that a lot to criminals, don't you?" Mina rolled her eyes and then took a deep breath. She had to use drastic measures after all.
"You would've always told our mom about things that upset you. It's been some time. I am sure you could use talking out." Momo should've known Mina would use their mom to make her talk. It was true, she always talked with their mom about that. And it wasn't like Momo didn't talk with Mina about her burdens. She did to an extent. She didn't want to put more weight on Mina's shoulders. Mina always dealt with all the problems and would never ask for help. So Momo decided not to add to that. If something minor happened Momo would just keep it to herself. 
"Nayeon has a boyfriend." Well, Mina didn't expect that. She was convinced Nayeon had feelings for Momo. Mina was actually ready to talk with both Nayeon and Momo so that they would start dating already. But it seemed like for once Mina's perfect perception failed her.
"Did she tell you? How it makes you feel?" Mina took Momo's hand to give her sister more courage to speak. 
"So you are a cop and now a therapist as well." Momo laughed a little but stopped when she saw Mina's glare. She sighed heavily. How was she supposed to answer that? She wasn't sure what she felt exactly. Or she didn't want to acknowledge her feelings.
"Sad. Betrayed. Heartbroken. I don't know. I don't get why she didn't tell us." It was a thing that only Nayeon knew. But Mina hoped the actress wasn't playing with Momo and Tzuyu's feelings on purpose. 
"Did she explain it?" Mina could've seen a frown on Momo's face. Perhaps she didn't say the right thing.
"What is there to explain? She was lying the whole time. She made me believe that-" Momo paused before she could say the words she didn't want to admit to. Mina knew what those words were though. She understood that Momo felt like an idiot for getting her hopes up. But it really wasn't her fault. Mina pulled Momo for a hug before speaking.
"I understand. I am very sorry. But it isn't your fault. If you don't feel like meeting her for now, you don't have to." Momo squeezed Mina tightly. She was able to relax thanks to that. She always wondered if Mina had some type of superpower. Because she always made her feel that everything would be okay even if the situation was crappy.
"Can you ride to her house with a police car and scare her a little?" Mina laughed at the ridiculous request. She couldn't do that but she wanted to make Momo feel better. 
"I might just do that. But hey, don't feel like it's your fault." Momo broke the hug and smiled gratefully at Mina. It was definitely a real smile. Which relieved Mina. Though she knew it wouldn't be that easy for Momo. 
"Let me go, officer. I have work." They both laughed and then separated. Mina would still have to talk with Nayeon though. She needed to know what was going on.


"You need to break up with Jinyoung." Jisoo knew that would happen. That Momo would've found out that Nayeon had a boyfriend and would never want to see Nayeon again. She tried to convince Nayeon before but her friend would always say she wasn't ready. She sure hoped she was ready then after what happened.
"I know. God! I am so dumb." Nayeon pulled on her hair with one hand and hit herself on the head with the other. She came back home the previous night and cried for an hour. 
"You are." Jisoo was always honest with Nayeon. And it was a very good thing. At least Nayeon knew when she ed up big time. "But even if you are, you can still try to fix this. First, do you love Momo?" The answer was obvious but Jisoo wanted Nayeon to say it out loud. Perhaps to make it real. Or just so that Nayeon wouldn't deny it anymore and did something.
"I do. But she might not anyway. Besides, would you want to be with me after I've been lying to you for two months?" Nayeon observed Jisoo and waited for any answer. Jisoo seemed to be thinking about the answer. But she actually knew what she would do.
"Let's start with that I would never want to be with you. You are actually annoying. But somehow Momo likes that about you. So I think it means she really likes you." What else could Nayeon expect? She decided to ignore the first part of Jisoo's speech and focused on the second one. There was a sense in that. Nayeon was self-aware. She could tell people might find her loud personality annoying. But Momo never looked slightly annoyed. And Tzuyu actually loved that part of her. So just maybe Nayeon had a chance to fix it.
"You are right. But how would I tell Jinyoung that? You know how much he loves me. I would break him." Jisoo put her hand on Nayeon's back and started caressing it. Jinyoung would definitely be devastated. 
"If you won't do something now, then you both would be devastated. Momo might move on one day but you would still be trapped in this. Jinyoung would also never be happy. You would be a jerk but only for some time. But in the end, you all would be happy." Really, what would Nayeon do without Jisoo? She would be a different person. Probably not someone she would like to become.
"I will do it today." Jisoo was not expecting that. She thought Nayeon would whine and sulk for another week or some before she would talk with Jinyoung. She was proud of Nayeon. "Drive me to his house." 
"You literally can drive." It was a big mystery why Nayeon got her driver's license because she never drove. She always made Jisoo drive.
"I can't do it alone. I need support. Please." Jisoo couldn't say no to that. She shook her head but stood up and started dressing. Nayeon followed right after her. They were soon driving to Jinyoung's house and Nayeon was using the whole hour to think of the best speech. She wanted to choose her words in such a way that the damage would be a tad bit smaller. But when they were standing in front of the house Nayeon felt like there was nothing she could say to make it better. She was going to break his heart. It won't feel better just because of some words. 
"Oh my. Nayeon, Jisoo. We didn't expect you." Jinyoung's father opened the door after Jisoo finally rang the doorbell. He looked very happy to see them and he invited them in without any hesitation.
"Yeah. We just decided to stop by. Is Jinyoung here?" Nayeon didn't think to texted Jinyoung and ask him. She definitely should have. But Jinyoung's father told them he was in his room. Jisoo gave Nayeon a hug before the actress went up to Jinyoung's room. Jisoo told Jinyoung's father that Nayeon had to have a private conversation with her boyfriend. She got an understanding nod and Jinyoung's father took her to the kitchen so that they could prepare tea. Nayeon was walking as slow as she could. But it still was too fast for her liking. She was already on the first floor and only had to walk to the end of the hallway to get to Jinyoung's room. She stood in front of his room for a few minutes. She knew she had to do it but she obviously didn't want to hurt him. Why couldn't it be easier? Finally, she took a deep breath and knocked. Jinyoung opened the door with a warm smile. He was surprised in the best way possible. He embraced Nayeon immediately and could tell how tense his girlfriend was. He pulled away and pulled Nayeon inside his room.
"Did something happen? You are tensed." Jinyoung didn't like how quiet Nayeon was. She was never quiet, even in her sleep. Nayeon played with her fingers and bit her lower lip before speaking.
"I need to tell you something. We should sit." Nayeon took Jinyoung's hand and sat them on his bed. She lowered her head for a moment. She had to gain the courage to look him in the eye.
"You can tell me everything. I always got you." Jinyoung wasn't making the situation easier. She wished he was a jerk so it would be easy to leave him. But he had to be a sweetheart.
"I will tell you something that will change a lot. It is not easy to say." Nayeon paused for a moment and Jinyoung waited patiently. But he got some idea popping in his head. If Nayeon was pregnant then he didn't have to wait for their anniversary to propose. "There is no other way to do this. And I know I am a jerk. But I have to do it. I don't love you." There was silence. Nayeon couldn't read Jinyoung's expression. And it made the situation worse. She hoped that she wouldn't have to leave Jinyoung's house by getting thrown out. But Jinyoung's kept silent. And it definitely was the lull before the storm.