Chapter 18

A Good Person

Two months late, huh? I am very sorry to everyone that was reading this story and was waiting for the continuation. I don't want to make excuses, I will just say University life is kinda busy. I tried to write a nice chapter to end this story but honestly, I am not sure if it can be considered a good ending. It is pretty vague but it closes the story in some way. I wanted to write something like that so... I hope anyone who will read this won't be utterly disappointed. Thank you everyone who read this story and enjoyed it. I could continue with it only because people liked it. Thank you very much.

 

 

 

It was just peculiar. How their lives ended up looking. Nayeon expected that she would remain miserable. Going about her days with disinterest. But then she encountered the two people that changed the way she thought. She believed she could be happy in her life. And she most certainly was. She was able to get up and see Momo sleep with food in her hands and Tzuyu dress Gucci in her clothes. Every day for the past four years. She had become a part of the family as none other than Tzuyu's mom, which automatically made her Momo's partner and later wife. And it was enough for Nayeon to call herself the happiest person in the world. She even didn't mind if her career would slow down after the news of her relationship came out. She still had the support of so many people. Jisoo also "took care" of everyone that badmouthed her. Jisoo was still her best friend. Though she didn't move in with them.  She didn't want to live with seven other people and not have any privacy. Though they could include Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung into the residents' list. The two sisters visited so much it was weird they haven't moved in yet. Or maybe it was actually caused by Nayeon, Momo, and Sana trying to set Jeongyeon and Jihyo together. Jihyo was keeping an eye on them even before they started their plan. Mina kept telling them that their plan is so obvious that there was no way it would work. They decided to let the two girls be alone in a romantic atmosphere and then spy on them. And they were very disappointed when Jeongyeon and Jihyo were acting like always. Like friends. So they used more drastic measures. Sana got Jihyo and Nayeon and Momo got Jeongyeon. They tried to talk about the potential relationship with them and present to them how great it would be. Jeongyeon laughed for fifteen minutes after hearing this and Jihyo called Sana crazy. Mina had a lot of fun during the whole thing. Especially, after Nayeon, Momo, and Sana talked the kids into the plan. And there was no more subtlety about it if there was any before. The three kids straight up started calling Jeongyeon and Jihyo a couple. The whole thing ended up with an hour-long lecture from Jihyo. Though she acknowledged that Nayeon, Momo, and Sana just wanted to do something nice for them. Nonetheless, there was no way Jihyo and Jeongyeon would get up together. Nayeon, Momo, and Sana admitted defeat but didn't end there. They decided they would keep looking for a good person for Jihyo. And Jihyo allowed them after Mina asked her. How could she say no to her? Who could even say no after hearing please, for me three times? What Jihyo wouldn't admit was that she enjoyed watching the three conspirators working on their plan. 
Mina had opened up a little. She started to talk about her feelings more. She still had a hard time with that though and no one was forcing her. She told them something only when she wanted to and how much she wanted. And surprisingly, all it took sometimes was someone asking her how was she. So all of them could say that they were happy after years. So that was exactly what Nayeon was thinking about while sitting at the table and watching how the rest of the house is going about their morning. She also had to be at the filming site in 30 minutes but she just couldn't be bothered about that. Until Jisoo called her and yelled at her for still not being at the place of their meeting. Though the good thing that came out of that was that she could kiss Tzuyu and Momo goodbye. She didn't try to kiss anyone else after Jihyo threatened her with an iron in hand. Well, the only other person that liked her kisses on the cheek was Dahyun. Chaeyoung, on the other hand, always pretended not to like it but waited for the kiss every time. Nayeon could truly say that she was the happiest. Maybe not the happiest person in the world objectively. But the happiest person subjectively so it was a fact in Nayeon's dictionary. 


"When exactly did we open a hotel?" Sana said sarcastically while chewing on Tzuyu's uneaten cereal. Mina smiled at the remark but didn't fail to remind Sana who knew the answer to that.
"Ask yourself." Sana rolled her eyes and put another spoon full of cereal in .  
"Okay, okay. I didn't think everyone will start living here. I just wanted to help Jihyo." Mina looked completely uninterested with whatever Sana just said. She was staring at her phone. And Sana didn't fear the demon so she took the phone away. 
"You know. I heard you but decided to ignore because I know where you are going with this. Give my phone back." How is Sana supposed to be sneaky in any way? She was going to give the phone back to Mina but changed her mind in the last second. She put her hand in Mina's and smiled brightly. Mina smiled back and closed her hand. Then pulled Sana in to hold her down. And so she took her phone back while keeping Sana trapped. Sana should have seen it coming. She was quickly released and Mina actually left a kiss on her cheek. 
"Well, thank you. Should we start getting money from them?" Mina pushed Sana playfully after hearing the ridiculous statement. Sana just laughed and took the last spoon of the cereal. Then she saw what the kids were doing. Or were not doing. Those three kids never just stood patiently in the hallway. They were not that innocent. And the smile on Tzuyu's face made her more suspicious. 
"What are they doing?" Sana leaned closer to Mina and whispered. Mina glanced at Sana and then at the children. She stared at them for a moment and then looked back at her phone. 
"Waiting for Jeongyeon to dress so she can drive them to school?" Mina didn't have to sound so sarcastic but Sana didn't mind. Maybe she was just too suspicious because the three kids really liked to . Still. 
"And they probably destroyed her lego building and wait like this so Jeongyeon won't yell at them." 
"How do you know that? You weren't home the whole day yesterday." Sana waited for an answer with curious eyes. She expected to learn that Mina has monitoring in the entire house. But the reply was much more simple.
"Tzuyu came to yesterday begging for help. I told her to be honest. She listened. So I assume they will tell Jeongyeon now." Sana sighed. Mina lied only once to her and literally swore she wouldn't do it again. And she meant it. So that she told Tzuyu, to be honest, wasn't weird. Sana, though, would tell the kids to lie and say that Gucci broke it. 
"What if she still gets their asses for that?" Mina looked up for a second but then shook her head.
"I will step in." Sana just smiled. Mina was definitely the most precious woman on Earth. Jeongyeon wouldn't even dare to look annoyed at the kids in Mina's presence. But still, the most shocking part of it all was that Tzuyu listened to Mina. Well, Tzuyu listened to Mina like to no one else but still. Even at the cost of getting scolded? Mina was a very good influence on everyone. 


The three kids avoided the scolding. Jeongyeon was actually upset but then she saw that the three were truly sorry. So she let that pass. But she warned them that it was the first and only time she would let them pass. She had to admit one thing though. Chaeyoung, Dahyun, and Tzuyu grew to be lovely kids. Excluding the times when they decided to do something that ended with one of them getting injured. The three girls were acting more like sisters than friends as well. And it wasn't that surprising. They were growing up together. But they sure had some weird family. Jeongyeon was impressed by how well they were all managing to support the three kids in becoming good. Though Chaeyoung and Tzuyu had parents these two still learned a lot from the people that were family but a little different. And Dahyun was an extraordinary kid. Jihyo did so well. 
"I was wondering. Will we move out soon?" Dahyun was rather reluctant to ask that. She didn't want to ask Jihyo because she would avoid the question. She still couldn't just tell her outright how the things were and first tried to sugar coat it. Jeongyeon though was more straightforward. Chaeyoung and Tzuyu stared from Dahyun to Jeongyeon who was driving the car. 
"Well, that is a hard question. It would kinda make sense. But you don't want to, huh?" Jeongyeon thought it was obvious that Dahyun wanted to stay in the Hirai house forever. But Nayeon and Momo have married already and so it was kinda their house now. Sana and Mina were even looking for a place for them to move into. But Tzuyu also didn't know that yet. So Jihyo also started to look for a place. Jeongyeon told her to just move in with her but somehow that earned a weird look from Jihyo. She wanted to be independent already. So she wanted to live on her own with Dahyun. Jeongyeon understood that. But would Dahyun? She always wanted to have a bigger family. And she finally had one. She just wanted to cherish it to the fullest by being always with them. It would probably end up with a lot of tears even though the kids would still see each other every single day.
"Of course, I don't. I want to stay there forever. But we won't, right? Jihyo probably wants to move out." Dahyun was too smart. Why couldn't she be dense for once? Jeongyeon sighed. Jihyo would yell at her after that.
"Yes. Jihyo is planning to move out. You know that the house is kinda for the married couple. They need privacy." Dahyun hummed and looked down. Chaeyoung patted her friend on the shoulder to support her a little bit.
"Nonsense. Moms don't mind everyone being there. They always say we are the happiest family." That was true. But what else could they tell Tzuyu? She would've been angry at them. And Jeongyeon definitely wasn't going to tell her about Mina and Sana. 
"Exactly. They say it would be boring without us there." Chaeyoung backed Tzuyu up and Jeongyeon could've expected that. Why was she the one that always had to have these talks with the kids? They have their moms, sisters, aunts. It applied to Chaeyoung as well. Their parents could handle the talking as well. 
"Yeah, of course. But this won't change even when you move out. You will still see each other every day, you will still have sleepovers. All that would change is that you won't live there. You will see that it will be fine. And one day you will even thank everyone for moving out because you will annoy each other to no ends during your teen years." Jeongyeon nodded with a smile and the three girls frowned at her. But they understood what she meant. Perhaps the moving out wouldn't change anything between them. 
"I get it. But we better get a house close so I wouldn't have to walk for long." It was cute how Dahyun crossed her arms and puffed her cheeks. Jeongyeon was glad the girl understood. Dahyun was just mature and it was admirable. Jeongyeon definitely wasn't so smart when she was Dahyun's age.
"We will make sure you live close." Tzuyu's statement sounded like a threat and Jeongyeon was a little concerned. There was no way Jihyo would move out of the neighboorhood. 
"Can Mina tell the family that lives next to them to move into a different place because of some police stuff." Jeongyeon wasn't sure if she should laugh or be scared. When did her sister start getting ridiculous ideas like that one? And what was even more worrying was that Dahyun and Tzuyu nodded along.
"We don't do that. Don't rip people of their houses just because you want to live next to each other." The kids agreed with her after rolling their eyes. Jeongyeon would end up having a breakdown one day because of them.


"So, Mrs. Hirai. What is your excuse this time?" Jisoo couldn't help her smile. Nayeon still looked stupidly excited when she heard someone call her Mrs. Hirai. It was just lovely. And Jisoo loved how happy Nayeon was. 
"I had to make sure that Tzuyu had her lunch and Momo her wallet." Jisoo shook her head at the excuse. It wasn't the most ridiculous one. Once, Nayeon said that she was late because she had to process the fact that she was actually part of the Hirai family. 
"Right. Get ready. You don't have much time." As Jisoo finished her speech she was pulled in for a hug. She still had to get used to that. After Nayeon started dating Momo she became very affectionate with everyone. And Jisoo was weirded out at first. Because they never really hugged that much. Even though they shared a bed so long. It wasn't unpleasant. It was nice. But sometimes there were more important things to do. Jisoo ended the hug and pushed Nayeon into the changing room. Nayeon just started laughing. She was just very glad that her marriage didn't end her friendship with Jisoo. It would be too hard for her to accept. What would she do without Jisoo complaining about her weird behavior? 
"I think I should take some time off." Nayeon was in the process of getting her hair done. She looked serious and Jisoo understood that she really meant it. She was a top actress. She shot a lot. If she just took time off it could damage her career. Sure, her marriage didn't but it was because a lot of people thought Nayeon is a great example and could open people's minds a little. But it didn't mean they would love for her to disappear suddenly. 
"I get it. But about your career?" Nayeon pursed her lips. It was a stupid decision. What was most important to her? Her family obviously. But she actually loved being an actress. So she didn't want it to go downhill. And then again, she wanted to spend some time with Momo and Tzuyu without worrying that she needed to be somewhere else at the set time.
"I hate this." Jisoo watched Nayeon flop on the table and the hairdresser who looked confused.
"I know. Just take that time off. I will tell the public you need some free time because of personal reasons." If Jisoo wasn't a manager she would probably cover scandals for rich people and become filthy rich herself. But she was stuck with Nayeon until they are old and cranky. Nayeon rose up faster than Momo when she hears food is ready. She looked at Jisoo like she was looking at Jesus. 
"You are the best. I am sure that my fans will understand. I will tell them that it is very important." The hairdresser resumed her job and pretended that she didn't hear a word. Jisoo just busied herself with her phone and listened to Nayeon's rambling of an entire plan for the time off and when it would be the best to take it. She would only nod when Nayeon asked her about whatever she came up. She just hoped that it all would work out in favor of Nayeon. So she could always be this happy.


Jihyo learned from Jeongyeon that Dahyun already knew about moving out. And so she started to think about the best way to go about that topic. Sure, she heard that Dahyun accepted that idea but it definitely didn't make it easier. She just needed to list all the things that they could still do without living with the Hirai's. Jihyo had to admit though, that she would miss living with them as well. But even Mina and Sana were moving out so it was the only thing to do. Sure, she thought about living with Mina and Sana but she didn't want to be a bother to them. Mina still kept telling her it was alright and even showed her every place she found interesting. Mina was too good for this world. But she had to do it. She definitely sorted out her life and she was ready for a fresh start. She was relieved and happy. Especially that her mother didn't bother them even once. She hasn't seen her in four years. And she felt sad about it. She just thought it was for the better. She didn't know what was happening to her though. She didn't even know if her mother was still alive. And maybe it was better to live in blissful ignorance than live with the fact that her mother died by drinking herself to death. 
Jihyo was ready to leave the kindergarten and it all looked just normal. She had an exciting day with creative children and her colleagues. She was looking forward to the walk to the house. She started enjoying walks and getting the fresh air after her mother left them alone. She said goodbye to all the personnel left and exited the building. The first thing she did was smile and admire the beautiful clear sky. 
"Jihyo." The sudden voice startled her and she immediately turned her head in the direction of the voice. And she felt a lot of emotions at once. She could only stand there and do nothing. Just stare at the woman standing to her right and looking very nervous. Jihyo wasn't sure if she got to see her again. And she somehow felt relieved. She felt calm knowing that her mother was still alive. And she looked... well? Jihyo was shocked upon seeing clean clothes on her mother. No holes, no stains. And her hair? It was washed and combed. She had make-up on and looked rested. Her shoes were clean as well. Jihyo wasn't sure what to think about that. Was that really her mother or just someone similar to her?
"Mother?" Her voice broke and she hated that. She didn't want to show any feelings to her mother. Mrs. Park lowered her head for a second and then looked at Jihyo with a soft smile. 
"Yes. Hey. It's been a while." What was she supposed to say? She hasn't spoken to her mother for years. And she never considered their fights to be talking. It was just unusual. "I know that you don't have to talk to me but I just thought... That you might want to know I am still alive."
"I-" Jihyo started but nothing else left . She took a deep breath and decided to do it one more time. "I don't know what to say. I am relieved you are alive." She observed her mother like a hawk. She tried to see if she was really sober. Because she was never that calm and soft when sober. But she sounded perfectly normal. Like a sober person would sound. It all just confused Jihyo. Mrs. Park actually smiled. A smile that Jihyo long forgot existed. 
"Thank you. I've never thought you would react positively. I was sure you despise me. That would make sense. I really loathe myself." It was perhaps the most awkward conversation Jihyo had ever had. With the long pauses and with her just staring at her mother. Cautious. What if it was all an act? But why would she do that after four years?
"I don't despise you." Those words caught Mrs. Park of guard. How could Jihyo not hate her? "I am very angry though. And even more disappointed." 
"That makes sense. You have all the right to be angry and disappointed. I was a terrible mother. I wasn't even a mother honestly. It's a miracle you are still standing here and listen to me." Jihyo couldn't disagree with that. But it somehow felt wrong coming from her mother. What had happened during those four years that pushed her mother to change? 
"What happened? Why are you here?" Jihyo didn't sound hostile. She sounded desperate. That desperation was justified. Mrs. Park prayed then that Jihyo would listen. That it would open up a chance for them to try and fix their relationship. She always knew she was acting in the worst way possible. And she also couldn't put the whole blame on her addiction. She became vile and she was aware of that. She finally had enough though. After the last time, she had talked, argued with Jihyo. Something in the words her daughter said made her think for the first time in so long. She knew it was all true. Of course, getting out of the hole she created for herself wasn't easy. She didn't have money so she had to find a job. But they wouldn't hire her if she was constantly drunk. So she needed rehab. But she needed money for that. So she did something she swore she would never do. She went for help from her ex-husband. It was utterly humiliating. Her ex-husband and his new wife were nothing but supportive though. And it provided another blow. She hated that man and he was still kind to her. She owed them her life. They secured her addiction treatment and actually visited her at the center every two weeks. And after she went out they helped her find a job and let her stay in their house until she was able to find a place for herself. She forgot how it felt to receive support and love. And she forgot how to give it. She owed it to her ex-husband and his wife. She owed it to the people at the center. And she owed it to Jihyo and Dahyun. She thought about them every day. She always remembered she was doing it for them, for herself. So they could try again. Mrs. Park also tried to convince her ex-husband to talk with his daughters. But he refused. Not because he didn't want to but because Jihyo made it very clear she didn't want to see him and Dahyun didn't even know him. She respected that. They were both bad parents. If they could even be called that. But she wanted to change and she wanted to be able to apologize. After four years. She only felt ready, felt worthy to face her daughters after four years. When she didn't consume alcohol for two years. She had a job at an antique shop. She had a place to live. She was clean. She could present herself without the signs of still being at the bottom.
"I am very sorry, Jihyo. I know it probably doesn't mean much to you but I regret everything that happened. After our last argument, I started thinking. And I knew I had to change. So I did what I could to make that happen. So I could stand before you and apologize. I am sober, have been for the past two years. I have a job and a place to live. I am trying to stay on this good path. And I just hoped that I could meet you and Dahyun again. Try to fix what I did." Jihyo watched tears fall down her mother's face and then hit the ground. She would never think that she would hear all of that from her mother. And yet, it happened. She didn't know what she felt though. It was amazing that her mother changed but she couldn't just let her in after so many years. 
"It's great that you are apologizing. That you regret what you have done. But I don't know. It's been so long since I had any nice memory with you. I can't just get back to being your daughter as if nothing had ever happened." Mrs. Park could only agree. It wasn't her intention to make Jihyo hug her and be excited to be with her again. She just wanted to try and maybe one day they could talk normally.
"I know. I don't mean for you to just forget everything and be happy that I am here. I just thought, that maybe one day we could interact normally. I will do everything I can to show you and Dahyun that I have changed and I care about you both." Jihyo looked at the sidewalk and thought for a moment. She just wanted to tell her mother to get lost and leave them alone forever. But she wouldn't mean it. And Dahyun despite everything wanted to experience having a mother. So what was she supposed to do? She had to talk with Jeongyeon and Mina. They would know what would be best for the two of them. 
"I can't answer you now. I need to think about it." Her mother nodded and got a little bit closer to Jihyo. Her first instinct was to move away. It didn't discourage her mother though and she extended her hand. Jihyo looked at it with a frown and after a few seconds, she slowly took it. Mrs. Park smiled at her daughter gratefully and squeezed her hand lightly. Then she let go and stepped back.
"Of course. I will wait as long as it is necessary. Please, call me when you know your answer. Here is my number." Her mother took out a piece of paper out of her purse and handed it to Jihyo. "Have a nice evening together with Dahyun. Bye." And so Mrs. Park turned around and walked away. It was the first time when Jihyo didn't feel scared after meeting her mother. That would mean that it was better. She really wanted that to be true. And maybe they could have a good enough relationship.


"I need to ask you something." Jihyo had to wait a little for Mina and Jeongyeon to get back from work. This wait let her think some more about the meeting with her mother and how she should truly handle that. She didn't tell Dahyun. She preferred to wait for an opinion from Mina and Jeongyeon. But she decided that even if their answer was negative she still would still tell Dahyun about their mother. She deserved to know. Jeongyeon and Mina nodded and waited for their friend to explain what was her problem. "My mother came to see me today." 
Jeongyeon's overprotective side kicked in after hearing that. She was sure that Mrs. Park left for good after not showing herself for four years. Perhaps she underestimated that woman. Mina, on the other hand, thought that it was a good sign. If Mrs. Park was gone for so long and never bothered Jihyo and Dahyun she must've sought help. And Jihyo didn't look scared or angry. She somehow looked lost. So it couldn't have been bad.
"What did she want? I hope she didn't harass you." Jihyo shook her head to destroy any negative responses. She expected Jeongyeon to react that way though. Jeongyeon calmed down a bit but she remained alert. 
"You seem quite lost. Was the meeting pleasant?" Jihyo also should have expected that Mina would figure that out. That was the reason why Mina was great at what she was doing and at being a good friend. Though it could be a little scary to think what else Mina knew about them but never mentioned it.
"She was nice. She had clean clothes, shoes. She didn't smell like alcohol. She talked normally. She understood everything. She said she had changed and that she doesn't drink anymore. She has a job. It's just confusing." Jihyo put her head in her hands and stayed silent. Jeongyeon didn't like it. That woman had destroyed their life. How was she supposed to change anything? She didn't believe that Mrs. Park would become a good mother suddenly. So Jeongyeon's answer to an inevitable question was obvious.
"Why would it change? That she is sober right now. She wasn't there for you when you needed her the most. You had to raise Dahyun. You had to provide her with all the necessary things. You had to work and study. And on top of all give money to her because she spent everything on alcohol." Jihyo understood that. Jeongyeon was right. No one could argue with her reasoning. They were left when they most needed their mother. And yet, Jihyo still wanted to see if her mother could do some good. 
"She has changed. For the better. She has reached out to Jihyo and apologized. She voiced the need to make up for her behavior. Why shouldn't she get a second chance?" Mina didn't want to diminish the wrongdoing of Mrs. Park. She knew it was never a given that people truly changed and they would mean no harm to others. But who would know that if no one checked it? If Mrs. Park started going back to her old life Mina would be the first one to keep her away from JIhyo and Dahyun. But she should have a chance to prove she means well.
"You are saying this while being a cop who deals with cases like this one." Jeongyeon's remark made Mina hurt. It made it sound as if she was bad at what she was doing. That she was a hypocrite. But there were cases where a parent or both were alcoholics and after a few years, they could get their children back because they fought the addiction. Those families are monitored and in most cases, there were no issues. Everything was fine. So why couldn't it be the case for Mrs. Park? 
Jihyo didn't like that Mina became silent after Jeongyeon's comment. She knew how Mina took those words. So she prepared herself to say something and make Mina feel better. But Mina actually spoke up.
"Jihyo and Dahyun don't have to create a happy family with their mother. I just think they can talk with her and then decide what they want to do. They can even swear not to meet her again after that. But wouldn't it feel like a waste? I would let my biological parents talk to me if they ever wanted to. I would listen to them. But if I ever wanted to be part of their life would solely depend on their attitude. If I really felt like they care enough about me. So I am just trying to say that Jihyo should do it this way. " 
Jeongyeon wanted to say something but closed and then sighed. Mina was right. They really didn't have to become a family once again. And judging by the way Jihyo reacted to it, Jeongyeon was sure her best friend wanted that. So she had to agree to the meeting.
"Okay. I get it. You should go and meet her and talk. But as soon as you notice something's fishy get out of there and never let her come near you and Dahyun again." Mina nodded in agreement. She could support such a plan. And Jihyo thought it was reasonable. She was a tad bit glad Jeongyeon and Mina told her to meet her mother. Even if she didn't like that, she wanted to meet her. 
"I have to tell Dahyun. I will call her soon.  I just need some time to prepare myself." 

Jihyo went to talk with Dahyun immediately after the talk with Mina and Jeongyeon ended. She wanted to be over with that. Dahyun was obviously with Tzuyu and Chaeyoung playing on Mina's console. They found the racing game the most entertaining game ever and their goal was to beat Mina in it. Mina actually let them win the first time they played but Tzuyu got upset and told Mina to treat them equally. And so Mina did. Neither of the three kids even sulked after losing many times because they brought it on themselves. Sana also got an excuse to tease the three kids that were always teasing her. Jihyo loved those moments a lot. And she was most grateful that she was able to experience them. She was most grateful that Dahyun could experience having a family and being happy. 
"With turning skills like that we will never beat auntie Mina." Jihyo grinned after seeing Tzuyu with crossed arms and pout. Chaeyoung scratched the back of her head after getting scolded and flashed Tzuyu an apologetic smile. 
"Sorry. I just get too excited." Chaeyoung was too precious for sure. But Tzuyu didn't cower in front of it. She just wanted to be like auntie Mina. So she had to master that racing game. Dahyun put her hand on Tzuyu's shoulder and smiled.
"I am sure that we will get it soon. And then it will be over for Mina." Chaeyoung nodded and moved closer to her friends.
"Yeah! Mina would have to admit her defeat soon. We got this. And then she will have to take us to McDonald's." Jihyo was happy those kids were so supportive. She could see them still getting in trouble in 10 years. And they would still stick to each other like glue. She finally entered the room and it immediately caught the girls' attention. The three stared at her for a moment and then at the console. Jihyo was a little confused but waited for them to explain.
"We actually weren't playing for hours. We just started." And the mystery was solved. Jihyo didn't believe what she heard though. Nonetheless, she was there for a different reason. So she let the kids get away with it for once.
"I believe you. I need Dahyun for a moment. Is it alright?" Dahyun got a bad feeling about that. She was sure she didn't do anything wrong but what if she did? She didn't want to upset Jihyo. So why could be so important that Jihyo couldn't tell her around Tzuyu and Chaeyoung?
"Sure. We will come up with some cool move to get that win." Chaeyoung assured that it was okay and  Dahyun couldn't refuse anymore. She got up from the bed and left after Jihyo. She followed her sister into her room and decided to sit on Jihyo's bed.
"Have I done something wrong?" Jihyo shook her head and closed the door. She sat next to Dahyun and gathered the strength to reveal what happened. Dahyun was getting more anxious with every second Jihyo was silent. And she definitely started thinking about worrying things.
"Mother came to see me today." Dahyun's eyes widened. She started losing hope that their mother would ever meet them again. And she actually came back. Jihyo could tell that information gave Dahyun hope to have a mother. After so long. Jihyo prayed that that wouldn't end with Dahyun getting her heart broken by their mother.
"Really?! How is she? Does she look better? Can I meet her?" Dahyun was the sweetest girl. She didn't have a single good memory with their mother and yet she still believed they could create a family. Maybe it was because Jihyo actually told Dahyun how their mother was before all that mess happened.
"She is doing alright. She looks much better. She is sober now. And she wanted to meet us. To talk." Dahyun never thought she would hear that their mother wanted to talk with them. She was always demanding things from them and mean to Jihyo. So it was something new. But it was the best thing she could ask for. 
"Then isn't it amazing?! She changed. And she wants to see us. I always dreamt that it would happen. But it really is true now." Jihyo had to smile at Dahyun's excitement. It was precious. She hugged Dahyun and caressed her head. 
"Dahyun, remember that it's not given that it will end well. Mother might be better now and she wants to talk but we can't be sure if this remains." Dahyun nodded into Jihyo's chest. She understood it. But she didn't want to think that it would end badly. She preferred to think that their mother would be happy to talk with them and they would all spend the time catching up and just enjoying the moment. 
"Jihyo! I just found like the best man ever for you." Nayeon suddenly burst through the door and startled the two sisters. Jihyo shot Nayeon a threatening glare and Dahyun giggled at the situation. 
"Nayeon. There is something called knocking. Maybe you should learn it." Nayeon waved her hand dismissively and walked up to Jihyo. She met a new guy at the shooting. He was just there bringing everyone water or coffee. But Nayeon chatted him up and decided he meets all the criteria to be Jihyo's boyfriend.
"So he is handling everyone water and coffee. But he was kind to everyone and when I asked him about his hobby he said he likes fishing. Boring, right? He is single and he likes kids. I showed him pictures of Tzuyu, I had to brag about my daughter, and he smiling and told me about his little brother. You see where I am going? Perfect. Here is his number." Dahyun was laughing hard at the end of Nayeon's speech. Jihyo, on the other hand, was closer to scolding Nayeon for an hour. 
"I told you a hundred times. Stop finding me men. I don't want to date anyone." Nayeon frowned. She really couldn't get inside of Jihyo's dense head. At that point, she would never find a partner. Nayeon didn't want Jihyo to be lonely for the rest of her time. Sure, she had all of them but everyone needs to feel loved romantically. 
"You know, what if we die before you? Who would take care of you?" Jihyo had to stop herself from facepalming. She knew Nayeon meant well and she appreciated that. But she had to focus on Dahyun. Until Dahyun would be old enough to handle herself, Jihyo would not bother with relationships.
"I will be fine. Do we really need this conversation right now?" Jihyo massaged her temples and closed her eyes. Nayeon locked her phone and decided to leave it for another day. Jihyo already looked tired and she didn't want to unleash a monster and get scolded for an hour. So she got up and left the room after wishing the sisters a good night. Jihyo and Dahyun didn't talk about their mother anymore. Dahyun went back to Mina and Sana's room to let Jihyo rest. And Jihyo did just that. She didn't wait long before settling in bed and falling asleep.


"Are you nervous?" Dahyun didn't sound calm herself but Jihyo didn't comment. She knew her sister would not admit to it. She asked Jihyo about it so she would know they were both nervous. Jihyo had finally contacted their mother after two weeks of preparing for the meeting mentally. Their mother sounded happy when she received the news. So it made Jihyo a little calmer. But she still didn't know what to expect.
"It's normal. We haven't spoken to her for years. Just be yourself. If you feel awkward don't worry about it and don't try to mask it." Dahyun nodded and started playing with a napkin lying on the cafe's table. Jihyo observed the door anxiously and then checked the time. Their mother still had 10 minutes to get there. Jihyo and Dahyun went earlier because they just couldn't sit in the house anymore. Jihyo looked up from her phone to the door when she heard it open. Their mother went in and stopped when she saw Jihyo and Dahyun already sitting there. As if she expected that they wouldn't come to the meeting. She slowly walked towards the booth her two daughters were sitting at and smiled softly. Dahyun was speechless when she saw their mother. She hardly recognized her. She had changed. Dahyun remembered her looking dirty and sad. But then she looked nice and clean. She didn't look tired anymore. So that was how their mother looked like before the divorce.
"Hey. I am very happy you two are here. I was quite worried about this." Mrs. Park stopped in front of the booth and stood there awkwardly. She wasn't sure if she should just sit on the other side without asking or if she should wait for permission. She tried not to look at her daughters yet. She didn't want to make them uncomfortable. But then Jihyo told her to sit down and she relaxed a bit. Mrs. Park did as she was told and upon looking up at her daughters she locked eyes with Dahyun. It caused tears to immediately leave her eyes. She was grown up. She was a beautiful girl. She looked at her with caution and yearning. Mrs. Park remembered what she put Dahyun through. She left her there in the crib alone. She always had nightmares about it. She hesitated for an hour. She just stood there staring at baby Dahyun and was thinking about what she was about to do. She didn't feel like she was capable of taking care of her. Dahyun was so little and vulnerable. And she was broken and couldn't bother to even take care of herself. What if she was out of it and Dahyun kept crying. She wouldn't even hear her. What if she was out of it and she dropped Dahyun. She could only think of all the bad things that would happen to Dahyun. And she knew, that her baby wouldn't be alone. Jihyo was an incredible girl. She would take good care of Dahyun. Jeongyeon would always help them as well. So she left. And she was supposed to stay away from them. But when she started drinking harder she couldn't. She was coming back for money but also to see her daughters. And she knew that more than once the need for money was stronger than the need to see her daughters. She was terrible. Jihyo watched their mother sob into her hands and she didn't know what to do. Was she supposed to comfort her somehow? Hug her? But she couldn't do that. Dahyun was very confused when their mother started crying after looking at her. She wasn't sure what it meant. And she didn't want it to mean anything bad.
"Mother, what's wrong?" Dahyun surprised both Jihyo and their mother. But Jihyo decided that was a good way of starting the conversation. Their mother stopped sobbing and glanced at them. 
"I am sorry. For everything. I am a terrible person. And you two are incredible. If you decided to see me after everything." Their mother's voice was weak. Jihyo could tell she was sincere. And that was a good sign. 
"Then it's good if you are sorry. Because I always wanted to talk with you. So can we talk?" Jihyo smiled at Dahyun. She was proud of her sister. She was already a good person. She would be even better when she grows older. Their mother nodded and started crying more. And soon they were all crying. They were able to let out all those feelings they held for years. They asked their mother why she did it and they got a truthful answer. Jihyo understood her reasoning. Even though she still thought that it wasn't what she should've done. Their mother agreed with her and said that she would have handled it differently if she had a chance. Their mother asked a lot. She wanted to know everything about Dahyun as she never really get to know her. And it could sound silly but she immediately fell for that girl. It was truly the little baby she held in her arms right after giving birth to her all those years ago. And it made her relieved when Dahyun talked with her and didn't act hostile. She always dreamed of having the opportunity to talk with Dahyun like that. Jihyo was more reserved but it was natural. It was still enough that she spoke to her without the anger in her voice. She hoped that that meeting would let them talk more. And perhaps, be close someday. For then it was enough. After seeing Dahyun and Jihyo actually smile while talking to her and hearing them laugh a little was enough to make her happy for the rest of her life. And Jihyo didn't regret going to that meeting. She could tell their mother changed and tried hard to be there and fix everything. So she wanted to give her that chance. Especially, when Dahyun said that she would like to see their mother again next week. It was really looking up for all of them. Jeongyeon also promised to meet their mother and talk with her. Though that wouldn't be so pleasant. Mina was visibly happy with the outcome and she even hugged both Dahyun and Jihyo without much hardship. Sana joined in right after and started suffocating them. And then it was just a mess. Nayeon and Momo throwing themselves at the hugging party and making everyone land on the floor. From there Tzuyu and Chaeyoung climb right on top and lied on everyone. Jeongyeon had to be coaxed into joining the group hug but she actually enjoyed it a lot. That was the perfect way to end the day. In the arms of their family.