Chapter 2

A Good Person

I am sorry if this chapter is boring as well. The beginning of the stories is the hardest for me to write. 

 


"Jisoo! We will be late! Get your downstairs!" Nayeon woke up early that day. She was too excited for the new experience waiting for her. She had already found the perfect presents for Tzuyu and Momo. Jisoo walked down already regretting her decision to support Nayeon's idea.
"Maybe we shouldn't go there like that. I mean, isn't a little too much?" Nayeon laughed at Jisoo's concern. She patted her manager on the back and led her out of the house.
"Nonsense. Wouldn't you like to get surprised by a celebrity like that? I am sure they would like it." At this point, Jisoo was sure that Nayeon lost her mind. Was she really that unhappy with her life that now she was catching on to every possible thing? Perhaps Jisoo had to talk with Jinyoung about that.
"But if they sue you, I don't know you." Nayeon rolled her eyes and entered the car. Jisoo got on the driver's seat and the GPS. 
"Okay. Let's get it."

 

Tzuyu was trying to draw Nayeon since yesterday but the little girl wasn't satisfied so far. She was drawing every line with precision and Mina thought the drawings were very good for a 5-year-old. So she cringed every time Tzuyu would tear the paper apart. 
"I can't do it." Tzuyu dropped the colored pencils on the table and hugged Gucci. Mina could see tears appearing in the little girl's eyes and she immediately went over to her.
"Of course you can, Tzuyu. All those drawings were amazing. Maybe you could add something. Like yourself or Gucci?" Mina watched Tzuyu consider her suggestion and after a moment the little girl wiped her eyes. She took gathered the pencils again and started drawing. Mina stayed next to her and she observed the process. Her observation was interrupted when the doorbell rang. Mina told Sana and Momo at least ten times to take keys with them. And as always they didn't. She stood up and headed for the front door. She didn't see who she expected though.
"You are not Momo." One of the ladies standing in front of the door said. She was holding a big bunny plushie and a basket full of flowers.
"You are not Momo either." Mina didn't know these people and didn't feel comfortable with talking to them.
"Jisoo, is this the correct address?" Nayeon glanced back at her manger and received a nod. So Nayeon decided to introduce herself and hope this woman would give her some information.
"I am Im Nayeon. I am looking for Hirai Momo and Tzuyu." Mina understood who this person was but she didn't expect to actually meet her.
"I am Mina, Momo's sister. She went out to the gym but she should be back in about 20 minutes." Nayeon felt a little disappointed and Jisoo relieved that she could avoid that embarrassment. Or so she thought.
"Then may we wait for her here? Is Tzuyu present?" Nayeon could tell Mina was lost. She felt sorry for overwhelming the woman but she couldn't let that opportunity go to waste.
"Eh, Tzuyu is here. I guess you can wait." Mina was just to kind to tell Nayeon and Jisoo to get lost. She also thought that Tzuyu would like to see the actress. After all, she spent so many hours on drawing her.
"Thank you! You are very kind. Come on, Jisoo." Mina moved to the side to let the two other women enter the house and then she closed the door. She saw Nayeon and Jisoo take their coats and boots off and organizing them nicely. When they were done she led them to the living room. Tzuyu was still fully concentrated on the drawing and didn't look up when she heard footsteps. 
"Tzuyu, you have a visitor." Mina sat next to the little girl. Tzuyu first looked at her then at the two women.
"Hello, Tzuyu! See, I told you I would see you today." Tzuyu jumped from the sofa but wasn't sure what to do next. If she could hug the lady or should she wave at her. Mina put her hand on Tzuyu's shoulder.
"You can say hi. I think Nayeon has something for you. You can show her your drawing." Mina smiled warmly at the little girl to make her feel comfortable. And that was all Tzuyu needed. She walked over to Nayeon and hugged the woman's legs. Nayeon giggled sweetly and patted the little girl's head.
"Miss Nayeon, I draw you. Look." Tzuyu grabbed Nayeon's hand and led her to the table. Mina got up and went over to Jisoo and gestured for her to sit as well. The manager took that offer and sat on the other side of the sofa.
"Oh my. This is a masterpiece. And you are here with Gucci as well. I love it, Tzuyu." Nayeon gushed over the cute drawing and it made Tzuyu proud of her work. She looked over to Mina and she got an assuring smile from her aunt. It made her even happier.
"I worried because I wasn't doing good. But auntie Mina told me to add me and Gucci and the drawing is good now." Jisoo was surprised at how much this little girl liked Nayeon. They met once for 10 minutes. But she was glad it was the case. Nayeon needed that.
"I see. I guess that's how the drawing was supposed to be all along. I also have something for you. You said you like bunnies and so I got you one." Nayeon finally handed the big plushie to the little girl and Tzuyu immediately hugged it. 
"It looks like you. Thank you, Miss Nayeon. I name it...Nayeon." Both Nayeon and Jisoo laughed heartily at the name choice. Also, Nayeon's heart felt full. She felt like she had accomplished something important. 
"I am flattered, sweetie. Jisoo, don't you think this is the sweetest thing?" The manager nodded and made Tzuyu beam even more. Nayeon thought that this girl was too endearing. 
"Would you like tea or coffee? I have called Momo. She is on her way." Mina walked in with an easy smile. Nayeon and Jisoo were truly shocked at how well Mina is dealing with this peculiar situation. The truth was that Mina was too disoriented to have any type of reaction. All she knew was that an actress and her manager came over to their house to see Tzuyu and Momo. How was she supposed to react? Momo found herself in many weird situations throughout their life. But this one probably won. 
"Oh, thank you. Jisoo, what do you want?" Jisoo was startled by the enthusiastic tone in Nayeon's voice. She really didn't recognize the actress.
"I would like a tea, please." Mina nodded and looked back at Nayeon.
"Same here. Thank you very much, Mina." Mina smiled awkwardly and left to prepare the drinks. She hoped that Momo and Sana would be back fast. She really isn't good with people she never saw in her life.

 

Jihyo had found herself in quite an uncomfortable situation. She really wished their mother wouldn't appear that day. She sometimes even caught herself thinking that she wished their mother would never appear again. She knew it wasn't good to have thoughts like that. Albeit if it saved her the embarrassment she had to go through then, she didn't care if it was nice. She was just coming back from church with Dahyun. That's all she wanted to do. But Jihyo nothing in her life went as she wanted it to. She had to deal with her mother in front of everyone from the church and in front of Dahyun. Her mother was there for one reason only. That she didn't have money. Nothing else. She didn't even hug Dahyun as a greeting. 
"You won't help your mom, Jihyo? Come on, I don't have the money to buy food. Please." Her mother begged, literally. That whole thing looked like Jihyo was a heartless human that wouldn't help her mother in need. But people didn't know. And that made the situation worse for Jihyo.
"I don't have anything to spare. I spent money on food for us, on bills, on Dahyun's piano classes. Maybe you should start working." Jihyo tried her hardest not to cause a scene there. She held Dahyun's hand tight and kept her behind. Their mother didn't like the answer. Because of course, she wouldn't. 
"Even with all of those you surely have some money. Dahyun, wouldn't you give mom some money for food?" Jihyo really wanted to keep it civil albeit her mother never wanted it that way.
"Don't bring Dahyun into this. If you want money for food, get a job and stop wasting money on alcohol and drugs." Jihyo's voice was full of venom. She didn't care anymore if the people were still staring at them. She just wanted to get the hell out of there. She turned to Dahyun and picked her up. 
"Jihyo, don't leave. Your mother deserves some respect. You are separating Dahyun from her mom. You are a bad daughter and sister." Jihyo barely stopped herself from yelling or slapping her. It wasn't the first time Jihyo heard it. It all began a year after Dahyun was born. Jihyo felt guilty the whole time. That she had great memories with their mother from her childhood but Dahyun couldn't experience it. Jihyo felt tears in her eyes. She bit her lip and walked away. She didn't look back once. She just held Dahyun tight in her arms and thought about one thing. Getting to their home and calling Jeongyeon. She needed someone right then. And Dahyun needed her friend as well. 
"Jihyo?" Dahyun's soft voice was barely audible to Jihyo. 
"Yes?" Dahyun stayed silent for a moment. Jihyo prayed that her sister wouldn't ask about the situation that has just happened.
"You are the best sister." After hearing those words Jihyo couldn't hold her tears back anymore. She was crying silently until they reached the apartment. 
"I love you, Dahyun." Jihyo squeezed the tiny girl even harder. Dahyun was her everything. She would never let anything bad happen to her. Even if she would have to call the police on their mother at some point. She would do it if it kept Dahyun save.
"I love you too."

 

"What if she's crazy?" Sana asked when they had already reached their house. Momo had definitely considered that option. 
"Mina is here with them. Even if she's crazy she wouldn't do anything with a witness." Sana nodded and opened the door. The first thing that they heard was loud laughter. It didn't come from one person though. They glanced at each other and undressed. When they were done they saw a very unusual sight. Tzuyu was sitting in Mina's lap with a huge grin and was laughing from time to time. Mina was laughing softly from behind the little girl as well. They were watching Nayeon and Jisoo reenact Tzuyu's favorite fairy tales. Tzuyu thought that Nayeon and Jisoo were the funniest people in the world. Well, they were at the same level as her mom and aunts but she wouldn't admit as not to make them sad.
"And that's how Mulan became the exemplary soldier." Nayeon ended another act of the story with a bow which caused the paper hat on her head to fall on the ground. Tzuyu clapped enthusiastically along with Mina and cheered loudly. Momo and Sana still didn't completely comprehend what was happening and they were standing and staring at the rest. 
"Mommy! Auntie!" Tzuyu sprung off Mina's lap and jumped at her mother. Momo wasn't prepared for that and barely avoided Tzuyu landing right on the floor with her face.
"Welcome back. You are just in time for the next act." Mina smiled at the two women and gestured to the two actresses in the middle of the living room.
"Ah, Momo and Sana. Just the people we were waiting for." Nayeon approached Momo and Sana and bowed to them respectfully. The two women reciprocated the gesture a little awkwardly. 
"Miss Nayeon and Miss Jisoo are so funny. They play my favorite fairy tales. It's Mulan now. You have to watch as well, mommy, auntie." Tzuyu pleaded with her eyes. Momo and Sana wouldn't say no anyway. But this whole thing was so peculiar. 
"Of course we will, sweetheart." Tzuyu cheered softly when her mother said that and she got down. She grabbed Momo and Sana's arms and led them to the sofa. She sat them next to Mina and then came back to put Nayeon in the correct place. When she was satisfied she returned to Mina's lap and waited for the next part of the story to begin.
"What is going on?" Sana whispered to Mina and received a shrug. 
"They were talking about movies and then Nayeon declared she can reenact all the Disney movies from memory. She dragged her manager into it and we are watching it. It's only the first movie though." Sana furrowed her brows. She was all for that. She was a Disney fan in every way. If there was anyone else that would sit for several hours and watch Nayeon and Jisoo perform expect for Tzuyu, it was Sana.
"This is so weird." Momo whispered back but she was also curious about the quality of the performance. 
Well, it was definitely something. Momo was amazed at how good that silly performance was. Nayeon and Jisoo were great to watch and they were really funny. The two of them played all those characters perfectly. So not only Tzuyu was in complete awe but also the adults. At the end of the performance, Nayeon and Jisoo got a standing ovation.
"Thank you, thank you." Nayeon was truly having the time of her life. She couldn't remember the day she felt this way before. She knew it was a little silly, as she only just met these people. Albeit they somehow made her feel overjoyed. She could feel the family atmosphere at Hirai's house. 
"That was amazing Miss Nayeon and Miss Jisoo. Can you do Little mermaid next?" Momo couldn't remember Tzuyu being that excited before. Her daughter was rather reserved and talked only to her and Mina and Sana. Unless she had to talk with others but she wasn't that expressive with them.
"Actually, we would have to go." Jisoo said with an apologetic look. They were having so much fun that she forgot that Nayeon had to be at dinner with Jinyoung and his family that day. They had only three hours left and the drive to Jinyoung's family house takes an hour. Nayeon glanced at her weirdly though, as if she didn't remember at all. Jisoo could only sigh. "The dinner?" Nayeon gave it a little thought and seemed to understand after a few seconds.
"We are truly sorry. I need to be at dinner tonight. I forgot about it. But I will come to see you tomorrow." Tzuyu beamed at the information. She really liked Nayeon and she wanted the woman to just stay with them. 
"We are really grateful, Miss Nayeon. But you shouldn't neglect your work for us." Momo tried to be considerate, something that Mina kept telling her is important since the first day they became a family. And she hoped her sister was proud of her then.
"Nonsense. I am not neglecting anything, Momo. I'd love to see you guys again. So, when are you all free tomorrow?" That was definitely a tricky question. They are finished work at different times. Momo looked to Mina for help. 
"I think that the best time is after 4 p.m. That's when Momo would be free. Sana and I would be still in work though, so it will be just Momo and Tzuyu." Nayeon looked a little disappointed but she nodded anyway. She was just happy to be able to hang out with someone that she found so endearing. 
"No problem. I will contact you tomorrow about the details. May I have your number?" Momo said it a little reluctantly. Nayeon sent a quick message to her and hummed with satisfaction.
"We really need to go now, Nayeon. It was nice to meet you all. Enjoy the rest of your day." Jisoo bowed to everyone and waved at Tzuyu. The little girl waved back with an easy smile. 
"Bye-bye Tzuyu! See you all soon." Nayeon casually went over to the rest and gave everyone a hug. She ruffled Tzuyu's hair as the last touch and disappeared in the hallway. Mina went after her to walk the two guests to the door. 
"Do you like Miss Nayeon and Miss Jisoo as well? Because I do very much. I want to meet them more." Tzuyu started talking with the biggest smile on her face. Momo and Sana felt grateful. Maybe that Nayeon wasn't a crazy woman after all.
"I like them as well." Momo smiled at her daughter and Tzuyu became even happier.
"She might be the most peculiar person I have ever met." Mina walked into the room again and Sana snorted.
"You know Momo though." Sana had to massage her arm after getting punched by Momo. She whined and went over to Mina with a pout. Mina only rolled her eyes. Sometimes she felt like she was living with three kids, not just one.
"As if you aren't weird. I am not the one that wants to buy a new laptop because the photos won't transfer on it." Momo crossed her arms on her chest and puffed her cheeks. 
"You are acting like kids." Tzuyu deadpanned and it made Mina burst out laughing. Tzuyu always delivered the best comments. She made Momo and Sana embarrassed. 
"Seriously, who taught you this?" Sana shamelessly asked. She acted as if Tzuyu didn't pick it up from her.
"I don't know, Sana. Maybe, just perhaps, hmm, I don't know, you?" Sana rolled her eyes at Momo's exaggerated reply. 
"I think you both contributed to that." Mina stated and Momo and Sana knew she was right. Because when Mina wasn't right? Their life taught them that they should always listen to Mina if they don't want to destroy anything. They would be lost without her.
"At least she would be able to defend her rights. That's our girl." Sana stated proudly and circled her arms around Mina's waist. She rested her head on Mina's shoulder and closed her eyes. That was one of many things that never changed after five years. That Mina's arms were Sana's favorite place in the world.
"That's right. Tzuyu, remember to use this against anyone that is being mean to you." Momo nodded and looked proudly at the little girl.
"Can I use it when someone is mean to my friends?" Tzuyu asked with hope. Her friends were tiny and they couldn't defend themselves. She wanted to help them.
"Of course." Tzuyu was satisfied with the answer and started playing with Gucci. Momo then thought about one thing. If their parents would be proud of them if they knew how well they are handling their life? Mina would tell her that they would be. And Momo would believe her. Because their parents were always proud of them. So why wouldn't they be then?

 

Jeongyeon was done with seeing Jihyo like that. Completely broken. She had seen it way too many times. She was helpless though. She didn't know what to do. She knew why Jihyo still clung to her mother. Jeongyeon also knew the good side of Jihyo and Dahyun's mother. They know each other since childhood. They would all go to the amusement park and for ice cream. Jihyo's mother would take pictures of them and always give them the sweetest compliments. She went to their choir performances and always said how proud she is. She told Jihyo how much she loves her every day. And even after Dahyun was born. Their mother loved them both. She took great care of them. Then it turned out Jihyo and Dahyun's father was having an affair and it was the thing that completely destroyed their family. Jeongyeon couldn't blame it all on him though. Mrs. Park didn't have to turn vile and start abusing alcohol and drugs. It was a good thing Jihyo was an adult already and could take Dahyun with her. Their mother just didn't want to leave them alone. Well, when she didn't have money that is.
"Hey, the kids are asleep." Jeongyeon knocked on the door before saying anything. She stayed in the doorframe and leaned on it with her shoulder. Jihyo smiled at her gratefully. She closed the laptop she was working on and stood up. 
"Thank you, Jeongyeon. We should rest as well, it's late and we have work tomorrow." Jihyo patted Jeongyeon on the shoulder before entering the hallway and heading for her room. Jeongyeon didn't want to force Jihyo to talk but she knew her friend couldn't just keep it all inside. Perhaps she would have to deal with it tomorrow. She was sure Jihyo would send her off and ignore her then. Jeongyeon sighed one last time and made her way for the sofa. She didn't have to do that albeit she wanted to give Jihyo space and some time alone. So instead of sleeping in one bed with her friend, Jeongyeon lied as comfortably as she could on the sofa and waited. She probably wouldn't be able to fall asleep so she just stared at the TV. It would be a long night.