Chapter 3

A Good Person

I hope you will like the little flashback I included. There will be more flashbacks when it comes to the Hirai family so I hope it is fine. Enjoy the chapter then!

 

 

Momo never thought that she needed a sibling. She was happy with just her parents. She had everything she needed and wanted. It wasn't that she didn't want a sibling because she would be jealous. She just didn't know if she would be a good sister after 7 years of being without a sibling. Momo was a little confused though when her mom's belly didn't get bigger after a while. She thought that was the indication of a baby coming to the world soon. She understood everything though when one day her parents took her to a place where a lot of kids were living. Her mom told her it was a foster house. It was were kids without parents lived. Momo didn't understand then why the children's parents left them there. Her parents and her friends' parents would never do that. So shouldn't that be the case with all parents? Momo saw many kids younger than her but also as many were older than her. And she wondered if the older kids were there for long. Or if they just started living there. After a few minutes, a lady approached her and her parents and led them to another room. Momo kept watching the kids play as she was walking through the building. When they finally stopped in front of some room, Momo glanced at her parents and saw the big smiles on their faces. So how could Momo not feel happy then? She also smiled and waited for the lady to walk them inside the room. And there a girl was dancing. Momo was dancing herself since she was 3 so the sight made her excited. She felt sad though when the girl noticed them and immediately halted. She shyly smiled at the family and lowered her head. 
"Momo, this is Mina." Her mom kneeled next to her and smiled brightly. Momo stared at the shy girl in the middle of the room for a moment and then looked back at her mom.
"Is she my sister?" Momo's parents smiled proudly at her and patted her head. They were a little worried about that meeting. Momo was a big girl and it might've been a little hard for her to think of Mina as her sister. But of course, Momo proved them wrong.
"Yes. She is your sister, Momo. Go and say hi." Her dad gestured for Momo to go and the little girl walked up to Mina with a huge smile on her face.
"Hi, Mina. I'm Momo, your sister." Momo extended her hand for Mina and waited. Mina looked at her anxiously and contemplated for a moment. But soon she grasped Momo's hand softly.
"Hi, Momo." Mina's voice was really soft. Momo wondered if their parents heard her from where they were standing. 
"You are a dancer? I love dancing. I've been dancing since I was 3. How long are you dancing?" Momo startled Mina a little with the sudden excited voice. Mina stared at the bright smile on Momo's face and it really made her comfortable. She was scared of meeting Momo. She was scared that the girl wouldn't like her and another family would leave her at the foster house. But Mina was scared for nothing. Momo was beaming at her and waited with big eyes for the answer. Mina thought that she might've finally found her family.
"Yes. I am a ballerina." Momo let out a gasp and jumped in place.
"That's so cool. Can you dance more? I will dance as well? Please?" Mr. and Mrs. Hirai watched the whole thing with the stupidest smiles. They were relieved that it all worked out. That they could form a happy family. That they could give Mina happiness.

 

"Momo. If you want me to drive you to work, you have to actually get ready." Mina woke Momo up from her daydreaming with a light slap on the shoulder. Momo saw everyone already dressed waiting by the door. How long was she actually daydreaming? She shook her head and moved to the entrance.
"But why?" Sana regretted ever answering Tzuyu's question. And she hated that even more because Mina refused to help her and just giggled at her misery. How was she supposed to tell Tzuyu why humans can't have wings. When everything that she had said ended with Tzuyu asking why? Albeit, Sana found a solution when Momo appeared.
"Ask your mom. She will know." Tzuyu stared at Sana for a moment. As if she was thinking about something.
"But why?" At this point, Sana knew she was clowned by the little girl. And that her girlfriend definitely knew about that from the beginning. Mina put her hand over and tried to hold her laughter in.
"You won this time, Tzuyu. But this is not the end." Tzuyu laughed happily and hugged Sana's waist as an apology. Sana ruffled her hair and smiled softly at her.
"Are we ready?" Mina asked when she saw Momo zip her coat at last. Albeit she knew her sister very well and she needed to make sure Momo actually had everything.
"Yep. Let's go." Momo gestured for everyone to go out and Sana opened the door for them. Before Mina could leave Momo caught her arm and halted her for a moment. 
"You just said you are ready." Mina wasn't surprised that Momo actually forgot something. 
"I love you." Momo smiled brightly at Mina and then left the house. Mina was a little confused but she smiled in the end and then closed the door.

 

Nayeon woke up tired. She loved Jinyoung's family but they didn't know what rest means. They let her go to bed only after 2 a.m. because they learned that she had a free day. She actually only had it because she canceled her schedules. It wasn't anything important. Just vocal training. Nayeon was over her tiredness fast though as she remembered why she canceled the schedule.
"Good morning. I am sorry that my family kept you up again. I always tell them that you need a lot of rest." Jinyoung came inside of the room with a tray. He prepared breakfast for Nayeon and was very proud of himself. He had been perfecting his cooking skills so that he would be able to always greet Nayeon when she comes home tired. He couldn't wait for that life. They have been dating for two years and Jinyoung couldn't wait for the day when he would ask Nayeon to be his wife. He had everything planned already. He was just waiting for their anniversary to do it. So he had six months left. That was such a long period though. As he looked at Nayeon lying in bed with messy hair, no make-up and with half-closed eyes he just wanted to propose right there and then.
"Morning. Don't worry, I am used to it already. I love them all." Nayeon smiled softly and stretched her arms. Jinyoung sat on his side of the bed and put the tray next to Nayeon's side. Nayeon sat in the bed and took her phone from the nightstand. She immediately unlocked it after seeing a new message. It was from Momo and Nayeon couldn't explain why she was so excited to see it. Jinyoung felt happy when he saw the huge smile on Nayeon's face. He was grateful for whatever Nayeon saw on her phone. Momo asked her if she should be with Tzuyu at the amusement park and wait for Nayeon there. Nayeon couldn't imagine the woman and her child sitting in the cold waiting for her. She told Momo she would pick her up from work and they could go take Tzuyu from kindergarten. Momo replied in a very awkward but adorable way and Nayeon couldn't help her little squeal. Jinyoung was sure that Nayeon was looking at puppies or babies. These were the two things that could make Nayeon this happy.
"I am glad you are starting your day this happy." Jinyoung leaned forward and left a kiss on Nayeon's head. She smiled at him sweetly and typed fast on her phone. When she was done she eyed the food and started eating.
"Thank you for preparing this. It's delicious." That was all that Jinyoung wanted to hear. He rested his head on Nayeon's lap and watched his girlfriend eat happily. Yes, he definitely wanted to spend his life with this woman.
"Nayeon, I love you so much." Nayeon felt a sting in her heart after hearing the words. She hated herself for not feeling the same. She loved him. He was her friend. But that was it. She wasn't in love with him. Albeit, he was with her. And he was incredible. She would be happy with him. Nayeon swallowed the food and with a forced smile replied.
"I love you as well."

 

"Hello, Tzuyu." Jihyo grinned at the little girl walking towards the entrance holding her mom's hand. 
"Hello, Miss Jihyo. So much happened on the weekend. I need to tell you and Dahyun and Chaeyoung." The little girl exclaimed. She was radiating with excitement.
"Oh? I can't wait to hear it. Dahyun and Chaeyoung are already in the hall. They are waiting for you." It was all that Tzuyu needed to hug her mom fast and then storm to the building.
"I think I am going to die today." Jihyo was completely taken aback by Momo's serious voice. She got worried.
"What do you mean?" Momo stared at Jihyo and it made the teacher even more concerned.
"I am going to the amusement park with Tzuyu with Im Nayeon." Silence followed Momo's answer. Jihyo felt like an idiot for taking Momo seriously. She thought a little about the name she heard and she gasped at the realization.
"The actress? How are you?" Momo shrugged. She still didn't know why Nayeon was doing all of that.
"As if I know. We met her at the park on Saturday and then she came over to our house yesterday. And today we are going out. Do you think she could be crazy?" Jihyo scratched her head. It was weird for sure. But would Im Nayeon really be crazy? 
"That's definitely something. I can't tell if she's crazy or she's just into you." Momo snorted at Jihyo's reply. She started laughing and patted Jihyo on the shoulder. 
"Nice one, Jihyo. She seems to like Tzuyu here. What if she wants to take Tzuyu away? And make her, her daughter?" Jihyo rolled her eyes. Momo could really make up the most peculiar stories. Though she hoped that Momo would be wrong as always. She wouldn't want something like that happening.
"I think you should be careful. Don't leave Tzuyu alone with her. Also, you will be late." Momo's eyes widened and she immediately checked the time. She cursed under her breath.
"See you later Jihyo." Jihyo waved after the running figure and then sighed. If she were to pick the best mother, Momo would be her choice. She hoped Dahyun would have a mother like Momo. She shouldn't think about that though. She had 12 kids to take care of for the next few hours and she should be radiating with warmth and happiness. She waited a little bit more for the last kids to arrive and then went inside to her group.

 

Dahyun and Chaeyoung were listening with the utmost attention to Tzuyu's story of the weekend. They were happy for their friend. They always shared the happenings of the previous day with each other. Of course, there were a lot of things that Dahyu never shared with her two friends. She was ashamed of it. But also Jihyo didn't know about a few things. She didn't know that Dahyun saw her crying at night. That she could hear the conversations Jihyo had with their mother even if her sister told her to stay in her room. And Dahyun felt sad about that. Because she couldn't help her sister. She couldn't make her sister happy. Jihyo made Dahyun very happy. She was the best sister in the world and Dahyun was glad that she could go with Jihyo. That she didn't have to stay with their mother.
"What if she could be your mommy?" Chaeyoung said with a big grin. Tzuyu never thought of that. It was always her, her mom, auntie Mina, and auntie Sana. She never wondered why she only had a mom. But Chaeyoung's words made her feel like she would like to have another mom. Chaeyoung had a mom and a dad, two parents. So maybe Tzuyu could have two parents as well.
"That would be awesome, Tzuyu. Miss Nayeon sounds like a cool person." Dahyun agreed with her friend and it convinced Tzuyu even more. That perhaps Nayeon could be her parent.
"I would like that. But I don't know if mommy and aunties would agree." Dahyun and Chaeyoung nodded in understanding. They all knew Tzuyu's family well. And they didn't think there would be a problem but maybe that was a different situation.
"You should talk to them and tell them you want a second mommy. They would understand. And then you would do everything to make Miss Nayeon one." Chaeyoung thought her idea was brilliant. Well, the other two girls also thought it was amazing. 
"Hello, everyone. How was your weekend? Who would like to tell us about what happened?" Jihyo walked into the room and all the kids immediately turned their attention to the teacher. They all gathered in the middle of the room and sat in a circle. Then the kids that wanted to share their stories raised their hands and Jihyo let them all speak. 

 

"We are at the studio." Jisoo called out to the half-asleep Nayeon. The actress stirred up and glanced outside. She was positively surprised to learn Momo worked at a dance academy. She would have to ask Momo to give her a little performance one day. 
"Okay. Why am I nervous?" Nayeon asked no one in particular. She had no idea why she wasn't that nervous the previous day. Perhaps, it was the time she spent with Jinyoung? Or maybe, it was the fact that she would be alone with Momo for at least half an hour. She was okay with talking to Tzuyu. She loved kids and she was the most comfortable with them. But when it came to attractive moms of said children Nayeon might've experienced some difficulties. 
"Momo's coming here. Don't act stupid." Jisoo joked and earned a glare from her friend. Nayeon took a deep breath and exited the car with a bright smile. Momo slowed her walked a little when she noticed Nayeon. She stiffened and walked awkwardly to the car.
"Hello, Momo. How was your day?" Nayeon said as Momo was entering the car. She then closed the door and went around the car to sit next to Momo.
"Hi, Nayeon, Jisoo. I had a great day. How about you two?" Momo tried her hardest not to sound like a scared kid. She was an adult and Mina wouldn't hold her hand and guide her through hard situations anymore. She had to become independent.
"Oh, I am happy you enjoyed your day. Our day was uneventful. But we couldn't wait for this meeting." Nayeon beamed at her and Momo felt bashful after seeing the beautiful smile. She glanced at Jisoo who was still waiting for instructions. 
"Right. Tzuyu's kindergarten is just down the street." Jisoo nodded and started the car. Momo tried to look everywhere but Nayeon. Though she could feel the actress's eyes on her. On the other hand, Nayeon was a little sad the ride with Momo would be so short. But then she was relieved it would be that short. Because she wouldn't have time to embarrass herself. Jisoo was just praying that Nayeon would let her stay back and she wouldn't have to spend the whole day on running around the amusement park.
"I really appreciate that you agreed to this. It really means a lot." Momo looked at Nayeon and could tell the actress was genuine. For some reason, Momo felt like this casual meeting meant the world to Nayeon.
"I think we will have a lot of fun. And Tzuyu seems to adore you, I couldn't just say no." Nayeon nodded in agreement. She was just happy that the family didn't call the police on her. 
"I am glad you don't think I am crazy. I swear, I just like you guys and want to be friends." Momo laughed awkwardly at Nayeon's words. She felt bad for thinking Nayeon might be crazy as she could see that the actress didn't have any ill motives. Momo noticed only after a minute that she didn't feel anxious anymore. 
"We would like to be your friends as well. And thank you for being so great with Tzuyu. It's unusual for her to like someone so fast." Nayeon felt warm after hearing that. She was glad she could make the little girl happy.
"It must be the fact I look like a bunny. She loves them. Thank you for letting me be here." Momo smiled sweetly at Nayeon. The actress was surprised at how genuine and bright it was. She didn't remember when was the last time she smiled like that. She knew though that it was a smile she wanted to see more in her life.
"She really loves all animals. She even gave us nicknames related to animals. I look like a raccoon to her. Mina like a penguin and it's really fitting because she waddles like one instead of walking. And Sana looks like a Shiba Inu. I guess we are a furry family." Nayeon listened to Momo's speech with a warm smile. Momo became talkative as soon as she talked about her family and Nayeon thought it was endearing. It showed how much Momo loved all of them.
"That's adorable. You guys are such a lovely family. What about Tzuyu's father?" Nayeon regretted asking that when she saw Momo's smile vanish. She didn't mean anything bad with it but she felt awful. "I am sorry. I shouldn't have asked. It's not my business." Momo shook her head. She gathered her thoughts a little. She wanted to give the best answer without telling Nayeon their whole family story.
"I don't know where is her father. He just left one day, broke up with me through a phone call. I found out I am pregnant two months later." Nayeon wasn't sure what to say. She didn't expect such an answer. But she knew she had to say something. She couldn't just leave them in total silence. Momo might think that Nayeon changed her opinion about her.
"First of all, he's a jerk. Second of all, you are really strong and brave for going through this. You are truly a good person." Momo never thought that way. She always thought that it was thanks to Mina and Sana that she was able to handle her life. That it was thanks to Tzuyu that Momo was able to fight. But Nayeon's words made her feel great. She had to start believing she was capable.
"Thank you, Nayeon. You are sweet." The two of them just looked at each other for a while. Until Jisoo cleared and gained their attention. 
"We are at kindergarten." Momo unbuckled her seat belt and jumped out of the car. Jisoo turned to Nayeon and saw the look the actress had. And she couldn't decide if it was a good thing or a bad one. She just hoped that Nayeon knew what she was doing. Jisoo would still be there though. She would always have Nayeon's back.

 

Momo had to admit that she had an incredible afternoon. She never imagined she could have so much fun with someone she only knew for three days. And Tzuyu's laughter and smiles made her even happier. She didn't know what it was about Nayeon but the actress could make them feel so comfortable. So both Momo and Tzuyu felt sad when their meeting came to an end. Nayeon and Jisoo drove them to their home and wished them a good night. Momo wondered if she should ask the two inside. Just to spend a little more time with them. But she opted not to. Nayeon and Jisoo must be busy tomorrow and she didn't want them to be exhausted because of her. They ended their evening with a hug and they separated. 
"Do you like Miss Nayeon, mommy?" Tzuyu asked out of nowhere. Momo could smell some hidden motive in that question. She just couldn't tell what it was.
"Yes. I like her. But you probably like her more than me." Momo answered and led them to the entrance. Tzuyu nodded and stayed silent for a moment. 
"Tell me when you will like her as much as I do, okay?" Momo was a tad bit confused. But she didn't think much of it then. She just agreed and opened the door. 
"Welcome back. How was the date?" Sana had to annoy Momo from the very first second she walked into the house. She shot her a glare but Sana just remained smirking. She would have so much fun teasing Momo.
"It was great, thank you very much." Momo walked passed her and entered the bathroom.
"I will tell you all about it, auntie. I will just wash my hands." Sana patted the little girl on the head and let Tzuyu ran to the bathroom after her mom. Then Sana walked crept into the kitchen ready to accomplish her mission. She just thought of a perfect line to say to Mina and she couldn't believe she was that stupid to never think of it before. They were together for 5 years and not once did Sana thought of it. When she spotted her target she moved closer and leaned over the counter to face Mina. When Mina noticed the smirk on Sana's face she knew that she needed to prepare herself for a cringe line.
"Did you know that without you I am just a Tozaki?" Mina stared at Sana blankly. Sometimes she wondered why her girlfriend loved lame jokes like that. But she loved her and she accepted that part of her.
"It took you five years to figure that out. I am proud of you." Mina smiled innocently and gave Sana a kiss on the forehead. Sana puffed her cheeks and slumped on the counter. 
"Why do you always find the best line to destroy mine? It's not fair. I want to make you bashful at least once." Mina watched her girlfriend sulk on the counter and she felt a little bad. Sana definitely made her bashful a lot. Mina just never showed it because she thought Sana wouldn't let her live after she found out.
"Hey. Don't be like that. You made me bashful many times." Sana looked up at her with hope in her eyes. "I just can't let you tease me endlessly after you succeed." Mina giggled at the little whine Sana let out. 
"God you two are so disgustingly adorable." Momo interrupted the moment Sana and Mina had. Sana was sure she did that on purpose for teasing her. Then right after Tzuyu stormed in and started telling her aunts with every little detail what happened at the amusement park. Sana and Mina were overjoyed to know how much Momo and Tzuyu enjoyed the day. They knew mother and daughter needed that more than anyone. Those 5 years weren't easy and Momo deserved some happiness in her life. Sure, Mina knew Momo was already the happiest with them but meeting new friends was something Momo needed. And it seemed like Nayeon and even Jisoo might just feel that role. The things were looking up for the Hirai's. Hopefully, the happiness wouldn't just come to them but also other people that needed it just as much as they did.