Chapter 15

A Good Person

So, I hope this chapter isn't boring. I tried to write it in a way that it won't be monotonous but I don't know if I had executed it well. I hope all of you will enjoy it.

 

 

 

 

Sana couldn't sleep. How could she even after doing that to Mina? She hated that she made Mina cry for hours. She thought at first that it was good Mina said something like that. That she voiced her fears. But with each passing minute filled with Mina's silent sobbings made Sana realize that she had said one sentence too much. Why did she say that? When its sole purpose was making Mina devastated? Sana hated how many times Mina apologized during those few hours. She hated how many times Mina begged her to stay, not to leave. And no matter how many times Sana said it was okay, that she isn't going anywhere, Mina still repeated it all after a while. Momo said once their parents wouldn't like Sana. And in the light of that situation did Sana agree. Why would they like her when she said something like that to Mina just to make her sad and forced so many emotions to come out all at once. Momo and Jihyo would definitely be furious after learning what happened. It wasn't the first time when Sana felt like something terrible would happen if she let go of Mina. She managed to get them on the bed and led Mina to lie on her. From time to time Sana would caress Mina's head and leave a soft kiss on it. She was hoping Mina was actually asleep. That she wasn't just pretending so that she wouldn't worry Sana. But Sana felt the slow breath and she was sure Mina fell asleep. It was the best thing that happened that night. Albeit it was obvious how scared she was for the morning. And it was getting closer to it. 4 a.m., still at least 3 more hours of just Sana overthinking everything and hating herself for what had happened. She wished that either Momo or Jihyo would have the idea of checking on them. So she wouldn't have to do all of that alone. Though, the truth was, she had to do it alone. What was she supposed to do for those few hours though? She could only stare at the photo on the wall. Where it was Mina, Momo, and Sana with a newborn Tzuyu. She tried to think about that memory and forget for at least a moment about the impending doom.
The sudden noise from outside woke Mina up from her heavy slumber. She still kept her eyes closed and she just listened to Sana's quickened heartbeat. Mina remembered too well what had happened. She couldn't decide how she felt with that. She wasn't sure if what happened was really necessary. It cost her a breakdown. But she knew that she should be more open about her emotions. It was only right. But the fear was stronger than Mina's common sense. She stayed in her position for a little more. She just tried to gain more comfort and strength for what was coming. There was no escape from this. She startled Sana when she suddenly got up. Mina sat the edge of the bed with her back turned to Sana.
"Hey. How are you feeling?" Sana didn't dare to move an inch. She just stared at the back of Mina's head and hoped that Mina would answer. That she would say the truth. Though she could tell there was a high chance Mina would dismiss her.
"I don't know. Exhausted, scared, guilty." Sana wanted to punch herself in the face. Though she was thinking about doing that since last night. But at the same time, she was shocked. She wasn't sure if it was good or not. Albeit Mina had just told her how she was feeling. She really just told her without forcing. 
"Mina, I am really sorry. I didn't mean to say that last night. There is no way I will leave you." Mina got up from the bed before Sana could reach her with her arms. Sana watched Mina walk to the window and look out at their garden. Sana remained on the bed and she squeezed their duvet in her hands.
"You have just said it to get a reaction out of me then. But why are you suddenly trying to force things out of me?" Sana couldn't tell from Mina's tone if she was angry or not. It sounded neutral but it made it scarier. Sana sighed.
"Jihyo has been very worried about you recently. She wanted me to talk to you." Mina shook her head. So she made her dear friend worry as well. She really couldn't go a day without worrying anyone. Mina swore she would make everyone happy then why was she making everyone concerned? What was wrong with her? Why couldn't she just be honest with them? Maybe that was why her biological parents left her at the foster house. Because Mina could only worry them and she burdened them. She was a bother to everyone.
"I don't feel well. I will go to the bathroom." Sana immediately stood up and went to Mina. She couldn't let her lock herself in the bathroom and wait there until Sana would get bored and leave. 
"Then I will go with you." Mina looked at her only for a second. But Sana could see the tears in her eyes. Mina really wanted to go there to cry again. After she spent hours crying in Sana's arms? It didn't make sense. "Mina. I won't force you anymore. But you trust me, right? Listen, if I were to leave, wouldn't I have already left? Why would I bother waiting for Tzuyu and being an aunt for her? Why would I bother trying to show Momo I mean no harm to you and I am not a stalker? Why would I go on all those dates where Jihyo would sit in the middle and glare at me every time I tried to speak to you? I have never felt burdened by you. How would I? Though sometimes I wish you would burden me. Because it would mean you were honest with me. I hate that the only way you are honest is when you cry and usually it's because of me. And it's okay that you have trouble with speaking what's in your heart. But you will see how much better you will feel when you are honest with your feelings." Mina held her head low. Sana couldn't see her face through the wall of hair. But she could tell Mina was crying. Sana just stood in front of Mina. She didn't want to do anything in fear it would cause a bad reaction from Mina. So she just waited in this painful silence. She prayed that her words didn't make Mina feel even worse. 
"He's dead." Mina's voice cut the silence in the worst way possible. Sana didn't expect those to be the first words Mina would say. "A ten-year-old boy, Jongyeol. His father beat him to death yesterday. I met him so many times. He was the sweetest boy. And we tried to get him out of there. But we couldn't in time. He trusted us. That he would be happy. And we failed him." Sana never heard much about Mina's work. Mina always told them when they had helped a family or children but she never mentioned when something bad happened. Of course, Sana knew bad things happened, probably a lot. But Mina most likely only talked about it with their therapist at work. Sana, without a word, embraced Mina tightly. She wasn't sure what to say in a situation like that. She didn't want to say the wrong words and make Mina angry. But she knew she made the right decision when she felt Mina's strong hold on her. 
"I am so sorry, Mina." Mina nodded into Sana's shoulder and they stayed like that for a while. Until the time on the clock forced them to get ready for work. Sana made sure to call Wendy to ask how she was feeling after what happened. And also to ask her for a favor. To give Mina a big hug and bring her something sweet to eat. Wendy promised to do that and she thanked Sana for her concern. Then they hung up and Sana drove off to her work.

 

"I am going to make an appointment with a therapist for her." Sana had gathered Momo, Jihyo, and Nayeon in the afternoon to discuss what had happened the previous night. The rest wasn't very pleased with the way Sana had handled the situation. She thought it was completely justified. But at the same time, they were all a tad bit relieved. Mina had said something. Even if it was just a small part of all the burdens she kept inside. It was obvious Mina needed more help than anyone else in there. Momo was angry with herself the most. She has been with Mina since they were 7. She knew Mina was struggling. Their parents knew that. She knew that they all tried to somehow make it better without being forceful. By helping Mina realize she is loved and they wouldn't leave her. Perhaps Momo should have had tried harder to let Mina understand she could talk to her about anything that was bothering her. 
"We should talk to her about it first." Jihyo was very serious about that situation. She was ready to do anything to make Mina feel like she is not suffocating with anything. Momo thought that she needed to talk with Mina as fast as possible. And try to convince her to go to therapy. She would even go there with Mina every time. 
"Jihyo is right. But would talking help? I mean don't get me wrong but if Sana had to be, well, an yesterday to make Mina speak, I am sure it would be like that today." Nayeon had a good point. They were all afraid that would be the case. Momo just hoped that she would be able to make Mina feel comfortable about the situation. She was her sister after all. Mina always made her feel comfortable. And she was scared that maybe she didn't make Mina as comfortable as she should. It made her feel even more guilty.
"I think that Sana should talk with her again." Jihyo wanted to talk with Mina more than anything at that moment. But Sana had already made Mina talk. And Mina didn't know that Sana shared that with them. She thought that only Sana knew. Jihyo thought Mina would feel more comfortable that way than talking with all three of them. Though Momo didn't like that idea that much.
"Why? It doesn't matter as long it's one of us." It was obvious to everyone that Momo was getting frustrated about everything. And it wasn't working for good. Nayeon grasped Momo's hand in hope that she would calm her a little. But even though Momo held back she didn't look calm in the slightest. 
"Sana talked with her yesterday. Mina thinks we don't know what happened. I think it would make her feel uncomfortable to know that we all know about that." Jihyo hoped that she started making sense to Momo. She really didn't want to make Momo feel like she can't talk to Mina but it was just the better option.
"I am her sister. I think she really wouldn't have a problem with me knowing. I am the most trusted person to her." Momo's speech brought silence to the room. What she said was true. No one doubted that. But Jihyo didn't change her mind and she hoped Sana and Nayeon would back her up. 
"Momo, I know. You can talk to her after Sana is done. But now really Sana is the better option. I am sorry." Nayeon squeezed Momo's hand more. Though it was for nothing because Momo pulled her hand away and got up. She was quite angry and didn't want to talk to them anymore. Nayeon wasn't sure if she should go after Momo or let her be alone so she looked at Sana. She received a negative answer from Sana and so Nayeon remained in her spot. 
"Momo will understand soon. I will try talking to Mina after she would get comfortable here. She should relax after work." Jihyo and Nayeon agreed with Sana's plan. It was crucial to make Mina comfortable. She had to want to talk on her own. And Sana didn't want to make Mina feel awful like the previous night. 
"Maybe you should go take a nap. We can't risk you falling asleep before Mina gets comfortable." Jihyo tried to joke and make the atmosphere lighter. Nayeon and Sana understood her intentions and smiled. Sana then did what she was told. The last thing that she did was asking for either of them waking her up after two hours. And after receiving nods she left to her room. When she passed by Momo's room she thought for a moment to check on her. But she decided to follow what she told Nayeon and let Momo be alone for then. One thought appeared in her head before falling asleep. That if she failed, was she really good for Mina?

 

Mina was fighting with herself. She was sitting in her car for 20 minutes. She was looking at the clock the whole time. She knew she had to go inside but she didn't want to face Sana. She started feeling guilty at work. She started thinking that she shouldn't have said anything to Sana. Because there was a high chance Sana thought Mina was being silly. That she was acting like a coward. And those thoughts made Mina feel worse. She didn't want to think that way about Sana. Sana wasn't like that. But her mind still would present her those thoughts and tried to make her believe they were true. Mina didn't focus on anything that was happening outside during her contemplation so when she heard a sweet voice calling her she got startled. She looked to her left and saw Tzuyu and Dahyun standing next to her. 
"Auntie Mina, why are you sitting here for so long?" Mina didn't know how to answer. She just stared at the two little girls standing in front of her. Tzuyu didn't say anything either. Dahyun looked from Tzuyu and Mina and decided to say something to break the silence.
"We have waffles. Don't you want waffles?" Tzuyu nodded repeatedly to show her excitement over the delicious waffles Jihyo made for all of them. Mina sighed and smiled softly. She took the keys from the ignition and got out of the car. After locking the car she ruffled the little girls' hair and went inside with them. Hoping that Sana was sleeping already after not resting for the whole night and day. 
"Jihyo made them?" The two kids answered her question with nods and they both started skipping to the door. Mina wished she could feel so at ease as the two little girls. She wished that Jongyeol could feel so at ease. But he couldn't. Mina thought about all the children that died during her service. The first time it happened she thought about leaving but only for a moment. She couldn't give up and keep trying to help all the children that needed that. Even if she fails sometimes she still did her best. Having Wendy as her partner also made it easier. They didn't have to talk. They knew what struggles they had and could cope with them together. And it was better than telling Sana, Momo or Jihyo about what happened. Sometimes the cases were just heartbreaking, to say the least. Sana was too sensitive. Momo had Tzuyu. She would start fearing too much about her then. And Jihyo would feel just like Momo, even if Dahyun wasn't her daughter. Mina also went through it. When she would pay extra attention to Tzuyu. Being way too overprotective. But she understood after some time that she couldn't let it all get into her head too much. 
"Mina, what to put on your waffles?" Jihyo's voice woke Mina up from her thought. She glanced at Dahyun and Tzuyu sitting on the sofa and savoring their waffles with bright smiles and then back at Jihyo. Even if Jihyo tried to hide it Mina could tell she knew. That Sana told them what happened. She didn't blame Sana though. She understood why she did that. She just hoped that they won't think she is acting silly. "I won't put ketchup on it though. Gross." Mina giggled a little at the comment.
"Just put whatever you put on theirs. And I have to try eating waffles with ketchup." Jihyo smiled fondly at her friend. She still couldn't tell what Mina was thinking but at least she laughed a little. She hoped that it meant she would talk with Sana and there would no major problems.
"So waffles with maple syrup, Nutella, toffee sauce, whipped cream, strawberries, bananas, kiwis and sugar powder incoming." Mina shouldn't have expected less from Dahyun and Tzuyu. She watched Jihyo's every move and tried not to think about anything. Even if it was very hard. But as she tried to fight her thoughts she realized something. She looked around the room again with confusion.
"Where is Momo? I don't believe she would miss waffles." Jihyo stopped putting fruit for a second. She tried to explain to Mina what happened in a way that she couldn't figure out what exactly happened.
"She went to bed earlier. Don't worry she ate before." Jihyo observed Mina's face for a moment in search of anything. But the frown on Mina's face disappeared soon together with the plate. 
"Thank you, Jihyo." Mina sent Jihyo a smile before joining the two little girls on the sofa. She focused entirely on eating and looking at the screen with Mulan playing. Tzuyu definitely could recite every line in the middle of the time after watching that movie a few times a day. Mina could probably do that as well. Jihyo watched the kids and Mina. They all looked the same at the moment. Which made her laugh quietly. All three with cream around their faces. Munching carefully with their eyes completely focused on the TV screen. They even made reactions at the same time. Jihyo hoped that it would help Mina relax and talk comfortably later. 

 

The door opened very slowly. Sana shot it a quick glance and figured Mina was trying to walk in without getting noticed. Sana almost felt bad that Mina's plan would not work. She sat up and waited for Mina to actually set her in the room. But when Mina didn't walk in for a while Sana got up and opened the door. Mina froze in front of Sana.
"You knew I was awake, right?" Mina tried to decide what to say. Should she just get straight to the point? Or should she talk about anything else? She ended up walking inside without a word. Sana took a deep breath and closed the door. Mina sat awkwardly on the bed with her hands on her lap. Sana followed her and sat next to Mina. She didn't want to force Mina again so she waited. 
"Let's forget I have said anything." Sana immediately shot Mina a confused look. Sana expected Mina not to talk at all or to talk but to say that? 
"Why? Mina, it's great that you said something." Mina shook her head. She didn't look at Sana once. Sana didn't try to make her. Instead, she grasped Mina's hand in support. Sana wanted to understand Mina. And Mina understood it. But it was sometimes even hard for her to understand herself. So she tried to think of the best way to explain. 
"I am not used to this. I mean, am I not acting silly? Am I not exaggerating? I just feel like I can't share. You all have many burdens already. I don't want to put more on you. I don't want to say anything wrong and lose you. And there is a lot of things that are too strong for you all. It wouldn't be good for your mental health to hear what happens at my work. I am sorry." Sana was quite surprised by the honest words. She felt relieved that Mina said it all on her own. Sana couldn't let that chance go. 
"Thank you for trusting me, Mina. That you told me how you feel. It's very important. You are definitely not acting silly nor are you exaggerating. I think it is kinda natural you feel that way after everything. And I know that your work is hard. I know we shouldn't take it on ourselves. But the smaller things are alright to share. Like, I don't know, when you met someone rude you can rant about them to us." Somewhere during Sana's speech, Mina started looking at her. No longer embarrassed. She was still anxious but she felt more comfortable about the situation. Sana's calm and melodious voice and her soft smile worked well as a way to relax Mina even more. 
"But they could be rude because they are frustrated." Sana rolled her eyes and wanted to knock Mina on the head. Her girlfriend really had to see the best in people no matter what. It was an incredible thing but unfortunately, it also brought more burdens to Mina as well.
"Or they are s. You know, people are mean sometimes because they are just mean." Mina shook her head at the ridiculous tone Sana used. As if she was talking to a kid. But it also brought a certain thought.
"I hope my biological parents weren't just bad people and left me for a good reason." Sana was a little taken aback. She didn't predict that Mina would ever mention her biological parents. They only talked about it when Sana learned Mina was adopted. But that was it. She just said they had left her there. Nothing more. But maybe it was a good sign Mina brought that up. "I never hated them. I just, felt sad about it. And as the years passed by and I realized they left me there for good I still couldn't be angry. The best day of my childhood life was when our parents noticed me reading in the corner amongst all those happily playing kids and started spending time with me. I got so much hope, that I won't have to spend my childhood in the foster house. And then I became the part of their family and Momo really made sure I will feel loved. It was hard at first as I couldn't breathe well when she lied on top of me at night. But I was the happiest kid then. I didn't want to remember those bad memories so I never talked about them and I guess I have included all bad memories in that. And Momo was a sensitive child. I wanted to be strong for her. And I think perhaps I should let you all be strong for me as well now." Mina squeezed Sana's hand and smiled at her. It wasn't a forced smile. And it helped Sana calm down. Mina really told her all of that. Maybe it wasn't everything but only a small portion of what was weighing her heart but it was enough for now. 
"I am proud of you for saying this. I think you should just settle on that your biological parents had a reason for leaving you, no matter if it was just because they didn't love you or couldn't afford to give you a life you deserve. But this decision still had an incredible outcome. You have a loving, supportive family. And I am glad Momo didn't suffocate you back then. I would have ended up dying alone." Mina pushed Sana playfully at the silly comment. But even if it was silly, Sana meant it. She couldn't imagine being in love with anybody else. There was just no other than Mina in this world. "Mina, I think you are already taking steps to open up. I just had this idea that maybe you could try going to therapy. I mean, talking with a stranger is easier. And it won't be just a stranger but a professional that will help you. I know it still won't be easy to talk but with time it might just be. I am not saying that you should share everything but you could end up telling us when something is bothering you. And you won't choke it down." Mina expected that. She had already talked with their therapist at work a few times. It was back when she started and had a difficult time dealing with the cruelest cases. But she didn't do it much anymore. It was definitely easier after talking about it. So Mina knew it was a good idea. She still felt anxious though. 
"Can I answer tomorrow. I mean, I know it's a good idea. I just need to prepare for this." Sana kissed Mina on the forehead and then embraced her tightly. It was enough for Sana. She could stop worrying about that. She would have to tell Momo, Jihyo, and Nayeon about that the next day. They would be relieved as well. The only question was if Momo would talk with her or would she still feel upset. 
"Also, could you talk to Momo? She might be a tad bit upset about something." Sana sounded very suspicious. But Mina decided to let it go. She had already figured out that something happened to Momo by the way Jihyo reacted to her question. Mina could only hope Momo wasn't upset with her because she wouldn't take it.
"I will tomorrow. I am sure she is sleeping already. And I could use some sleep as well. But you are the one that needs it the most." Sana pulled away from the hug and got up. She grabbed Mina's arms and helped her stand up as well. Then she led her to the bathroom and told Mina to prepare for bed and she would just sleep already. Sana was afraid the day would end with a failure but she got a great surprise. And before Mina closed the door and Sana entered their room again, Sana heard something she only heard three times in all those years.
"Thank you, Sana. I love you." And somehow Sana felt like crying but for a very different reason. She stared at the closed bathroom door for a moment and tried to hold her tears back. She ended up with the biggest grin and tears falling on her cheeks. She thought it might've looked comically but nothing would've destroyed the happiness that filled her whole body. She entered their room and lied in bed still grinning. She really didn't feel like sleeping anymore. But she decided to do it after thinking that Mina was very embarrassed and wouldn't want to face Sana after this. And Sana didn't want to make Mina feel that way. The last thought that accompanied Sana was that things were really looking up for all of them.