Once Upon an Unsolved Vlog: Chapter 6.2 “The Internalization of Grief”

Hey demons! It's ya boi(s)!

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘It’s been a week for you guys-.’

‘But it’s only been a bathroom break and cat feeding session for us.’

‘Speaking of feeding sessions, I need some sustenance.’

‘Hyung, you could have done this before-‘

‘-WHY ARE YOU EATING CAT FOOD?!’

(he was not eating cat food- he was faking it)

‘So, we decided to grab some food. I don’t see how this will end well.’

‘Are you talking about the story or-‘

‘-no, I’m talking about us, specifically you, eating AND listening to this story unfold.’

‘Are you trained in CPR?’

‘No, but Minseok-hyung is.’

‘He really is an angel.’

‘No, he’s an angle- acute one if I may so so-‘

(15 seconds of Jongdae not knowing how to eat chips)

‘We’re sorry for the people who are hungry while they’re watching this.’

‘This is an unintentional mukbang.’

‘Hyung, please try some ASMR.’

‘No.’

‘I respect that! Okay, should we start?’

‘Wait. Can I just say, that you know, this story is kinda unlike what we’ve covered so far.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘I mean other than the whole “time travel” kinda feel-‘

‘-ah yes, we were sorely missing that genre-‘

‘-it feels very…cursed.’

‘…explain?’

‘-it’s so linked, with family, do you know what I mean? Lots of the scary horror stuff we do is like, somehow kinda cemented in the past. It’s like we’re in the process of watching the how of the haunting, not the after effect of the haunting, so to speak.’

‘Yeah! You’re right- that’s actually really cool when you look at it that way!

The genesis of the horror.’

‘Baekhyunnie, that’s such a cool point, you’re right! We’re listening to the how of the whole story. Something we don’t always get to know or hear about.’

‘I don’t know why people are so surprised to hear me make sense is this alarming or insulting-?’

(15 seconds of Baekhyun not knowing how to eat ice-cream again)

‘So I think a short recap is good! To help jog memory of the previous episode for our viewers!’

‘I’ll be honest this story will probably remain very fresh in my mind!’

‘I mean, yeah, but I think we need to be uh, what’s the word-‘

‘-polite?’

‘-no matter how certain family members are presented, and I think we’re gonna see some terrible details because I have my eye on Xiumin’s uncle and aunt, we are not going to condone violence.’

‘…’

‘…’

‘…’

‘-we are not going to outright condone violence.’

‘That seems more realistic from you.’

‘Thanks?’

(15 seconds of Minseok regretting his whole life)

‘So recap time!’

‘-…you want me to recap?’

‘You are the narrator for today so yeah.’

‘I guess that’s fair…

‘You know if anyone’s watching this waiting for the recap because they haven’t watched the previous episode-‘

‘-even though it’s going to be clearly titled Part 1 and this is Part 2-‘

‘-they might not find it scary at all.

Like, this story is not taking place in some dilapidated run down building or some freaky abandoned asylum or a cemetery.

It’s just a casual family home so far, with just some toxic relatives.’

‘To be fair toxic relatives are more horrifying than any ghost or demon.’

‘Agreed.’

‘Actually you know what-?’

‘Oh here we go-‘

‘People really out here being terrified of supposed creepy hallways and buildings and rooms honestly it’s just the grime and dirt. Clean places are rarely terrifying- dirty places just immediately instill discomfort and then that get’s the brain going to jump straight into ghosts or ghouls.

People, please fix your priorities.

Like, I’m there, terrified for my life because who knows what’s in the dirt.

If there’s one thing this pandemic has highlighted for me is my sudden and thorough exposure to the idea of bacterial transfer through everyday objects?

Like, how many of you guys ever really wiped down your phones, show of hands real quick.’

‘…’

‘…’

‘…’

‘I knew I could trust Minseok-hyung. I used to think I was overdoing it in the past- but things like money, debit cards, phones, pens- food items in the grocery stores? Like, do you guys wash them before putting them in your fridge- a place that’s supposed to be, preferably, sterile?

Like, do you know how many people have grabbed that can of tuna before you?’

‘Anyways before we derail any further let’s just go ahead with this story.’

 

 

 

A shudder goes through him just as a pair of lips, wet and moist, open as though to speak right at his ear:

What do you wish for?’

Minseok spins around, the whole room warping horribly- he hears screaming- sees a strange light, there’s a strong odour of smoke that hits him, and Minseok finds himself falling back on Lu Han’s living room floor for a brief second. It’s his aunt who’s screaming, Lu Han is trying to reach out to him, blood pouring out of his nose. The stench of smoke comes from the cigarette case that’s charred, the heat of it tingling in his hands.

‘HYUNG-!’

It’s Kyungsoo.

But the moment Minseok falls back, his head thudding on the floor he’s back in his grandfather’s room.

‘-!’ he hisses, quickly sitting up in the empty room, orange light from the setting sun gleaming through, casting long dark shadows across the ornately decorated tables.

‘Lu Han?’

He’s startled by the sound of sobbing.

 

‘So we’re just starting off the story like this huh.’

‘Seems like it.

I was like, in many ways, this story isn’t that bad, and then I’m reminded-‘

‘-that it is in fact, bad?’

‘Yes.’

 

Turning around, on the narrow and hard bed is his grandfather. He’s holding a picture frame to his chest and he’s crying in earnest. He looks unkempt- like he hadn’t showered in days- weeks maybe. He looks significantly older here though Minseok knows it can’t have been more than a few weeks or a month.

He’s not wearing shoes, his fingernails are filthy and the sleeves of his jacket are matted.

There’s thudding footsteps and the door slams open and Minseok turns to find his father and older brother at the doorway. They’re both drenched and that’s when Minseok realizes it’s raining.

‘Dad!’ his father rushes forward, sliding on his knees a little before stopping before his father. But the older man flinches, eyes wide in horror as he stares at his youngest son.

‘Who are you?!’ he hisses, clutching the photo frame closer to his chest.

 

‘Damn, that must…that’s probably such a horrible thing to go through.’

‘Yeah it just…’

‘The idea of it makes you sad.’

‘I think it’s because ultimately in the end- your memories makes you who you are, you know? So for Xiumin’s dad at this point, that’s not his dad- he’s not talking to his dad, that’s a stranger.’

‘Thanks Lu-hyung.’

‘You’re welcome!’

 

‘Taesung-ah, he’s fine,’ his brother sighs heavily, leaning on the door frame tiredly before calling loudly to the side, ‘Heejae! He’s here, back in his room!’

There’s a loud pitchy gasp and scrambling steps and Minseok’s aunt appears, also soaked wet.

‘Pops!’ she cries out, wobbling forward, ‘Do you know how worried I was? You know I can’t be worried like that, why would you do this to me-?’

‘WHO ARE YOU!?’ his grandfather screams, pushing Taesung away before he starts coughing violently.

 

‘You know what irritates me the most.’

‘Wet socks?’

‘Well, yes, but also people who use what’s going on with others, and use it to like, internalize it for themselves- do you know what I mean?’

‘Like how the aunt is making this disappearance about herself?’

‘Yeah.’

‘Like…does she want a reward for being worried about her clearly mentally unstable father-in-law?’

 

‘We need to get him out of his wet clothes,’ Taesung says as Heejae stands, shell-shocked, and Daejung doesn’t move an inch to help.

‘Just let him be,’ Daejung sighs out, turning around, ‘He’ll come around within an hour or so.’

Taesung looks at him in horror, ‘He could catch pneumonia! Are you insane?’

 

‘Yeah is he insane?!’

 

‘No- but he is. You think he’ll allow you to undress him when he doesn’t even know who you are?’ Daejung claps twice, causing his wife to jump out of her shock, glancing back at her husband. ‘Go get the water heated- dammit, got my work clothes all soaked.’

‘Let me change out-‘ she begins but Daejung snaps at her angrily: ‘I said get the damn water heated! I told you to wait here, didn’t I? If you get sick, it’s your fault!’

Heejae huffs at her husband before turning around to stare down at Minseok’s grandfather with contempt before following her husband out. Taesung sighs, still kneeling on the floor but at a distance.

 

‘Officially-‘

‘-seconded-‘

‘-worst couple ever?’

‘Worst human beings ever more like.’

 

‘Who are you?’ his grandfather croaks again

‘It’s me, Taesung, your son.’

‘I- I don’t have a son?’

 

‘…’

‘…’

‘…’

‘…’

 

‘You do, you have 3 children, one daughter, two sons.’ Taesung tells him patiently. ‘I’m your youngest. Taesung.’

His grandfather blinks slowly at him, still clutching the picture frame to his chest.

‘I’m Minseok’s dad. Your grandson, Minseok-ah, you remember him, don’t you?’

‘Minseok?’ he whispers. ‘Yes-…yes, my good boy.’

Tears well up in Minseok’s eyes.

 

‘EXCUSE ME BUT TEARS ARE WELLING UP IN MY EYES TOO!’

‘I think this is the scariest story we’ve read this season. The scariest episode we’ve ever done, if I’m being honest.’

‘How come?’

‘It’s just so real.’

 

‘Yeah,’ Taesung smiles, ‘You remember Minseok right? My son? Your grandson?’

His grandfather starts to cry- it’s less hysterical and it’s somehow more aware.

‘Dad, let’s get these wet clothes off of you okay?’ Taesung carefully approaches his dad, movements slow, making sure he was in his dad’s line of sight the whole time.

‘It’s cold,’ his grandfather whispers.

‘Yeah,’ Taesung nods, slowly but steadily extending his hands out, ‘So lets get these clothes off okay? I’ll get you nice warm clothes?’

After a few seconds, he nods shakily.

Taesung carefully manages to get him to release the photo frame and he places it on the side of the bed.

‘Taesung.’

‘Yes.’

Carefully, Taesung helps his dad get changed out. At first it’s fine- normal almost. Taesung doesn’t seem to bothered by the stains of dirt on his fathers feet but the stains change to bruises and discolouration and there are vivid handprints on his father’s side, back, and even on his thighs. Taesung looks like he wants to ask, but clearly he doesn’t because his father isn’t all there.

 

‘Okay I’m betting my tuna can that those hand prints are not a cause of like, bed sores or just…-do old people bruise for no reason.

I’m genuinely curious.

Is that a thing?’

‘I think it depends- I know my great uncle used to bruise easily, or at least that’s what my mum told me.’

‘But not in hand prints?’

‘Not in hand prints!’

‘Baekhyun, curious to know if that tuna can is disinfected.’

 

‘Does it hurt?’ he asks instead, eyeing the most vivid handprint- it’s large, wrapped around the side of his body. Minseok squints at the bruise- what sort of placement-?

‘What?’

‘These,’ his father points out the bruising, ‘Do they hurt? Do you need pain killers?’

‘No,’ his grandfather frowns at his skin, at the bruises, as though he didn’t notice them before.

‘Where did you go?’

They’re both silent as Taesung helps his father pull a warm shirt on, stretching it out first before pulling it over his head.

‘I-…I think,’ he pauses, ‘I saw someone I recognized. I had to follow him.’

‘Who was it?’

‘I can’t remember.’ He replies wetly, hands coming up to squeeze around his head.

 

‘Again, like we keep saying how stressful it must be for other people but can you imagine-‘

‘-yeah.’

‘-it’s not like he’s completely lost his mind, he still remembers, he still knows. And I think in some capacity he’s aware of his mental uh, breakdown, and that must be so…’

 

‘Dad it’s okay- come on, don’t do that-,’ Taesung removes his fathers hands and holds them in his own. After a few moment, Minseok’s grandfather looks up.

‘You’re here?’

Taesung looks up, finding that his father’s eyes were clear, no cloud of confusion glazing them over.

‘I am.’

‘You’re wet.’

Taesung laughs, ‘Yeah, don’t worry about it dad, you know me, I rarely get sick.’

‘That’s true that’s true,’ his father nods, small weak laugh following, ‘Your mother always said you were the strongest one.’

Taesung smiles.

‘Oh- it was Minseok’s birthday wasn’t it? I had a present for him,’ he looks around, as though hoping to find it.

 

‘EXCUSE ME I NEED TO GO GET SOME ISSUES GOD DAMMIT!’

 

‘It’s okay dad,’ Taesung tells him, ‘Why don’t you rest first, then we can get Minseok’s present.’

‘But I had it!’ his dad insists, eyes very clear as he exclaims, ‘Aha! Yes- here!’

With more strength and agility than both Minseok and Taesung were expecting, Minseok’s grandfather dives towards his pillow and removes it with a flourish. Nested around some old and stained fabrics were the same eggs but there’s more.

 

‘I HATE THIS THANKS.’

‘These ing eggs.’

‘Should put that in a t-shirt.’

‘I think our female viewers might actually like that.’

 

Taesung tries to stop his father but-

‘I got it-!’

He grabs at the clay eggs and they immediately break apart in his hands.

Taesung is on his knees, trying to hold his father back when the older man completely freezes.

Minseok can hardly breathe- staring at the ugly and weighty eggs. It makes him want to throw up.

 

‘I don’t know about you guys but I do not have an appealing visual of this in my head.’

 

‘Oh- oh no-!’ his grandfather sobs. The clay bits fall out from between his fingers, strange lumps rolling out, covered in reddish clay bits- things that Minseok would rather not know about.

 

‘Me too Xiumin-gege, me too.’

 

‘Wait it’s important-!’

He crushes the eggs under his hands, which in turn makes him cry even more.

‘Dad-,’ Taesung tries to get him to sit up but it’s practically impossible.

‘No no- I can’t- I can’t- no no-!’

Taesung manages to pull his father away from the head of the bed, staring at the mess of broken clay eggs before looking back down at his father who looks up curiously, no longer crying.

‘Dad?’

But he doesn’t reply.

‘Who are you?’ he asks again.

But he’s not looking at Taesung.

Minseok follows his gaze and It stands by the pillow of his narrow bed. Minseok freezes.

 

‘I can’t believe I got jump scared by writing.’

 

‘Dad, it’s me, Taesung, Minseok’s dad,’ his dad repeats patiently.

‘Uncle?’

Minseok can finally tear his eyes from It and spots his cousin at the doorway. He’s holding a towel.

‘Dad said to give this to you.’

‘Jisung-ah, thank you,’ Taesung smiles at his nephew, holding out a hand to receive it. But Jisung doesn’t step in, standing resolutely at the doorway. Taesung blinks a few times before he says, ‘It’s okay, grandpa is just a little unstable. Your dad told you right?’

Jisung nods, and to Minseok’s horror, his eyes flit over to It at the corner of the room.

‘You can leave it on the handle.’

Minseok’s cousin, Jisung, hangs the towel on the doorknob and fairly runs off. Minseok looks back and It’s no longer there.

 

‘Wait- so this whole ghost seeing thing runs in the dad’s family side too?’

‘I think it has more to do with the fact that children are more prone to seeing things, than adults in general.’

‘Happy I’m not a children anymore.’

‘You really have a way with words.’

 

‘I’m sorry,’ his grandfather suddenly whispers, sounding incredibly sane.

‘It’s okay dad.’ Taesung walks to the doorway.

‘Your mother always…she always knew what to do. She told me to meditate more, to listen more to the teachings. She was always so sure, so confident. Her strength- I thought I could do it too. Like her.’

‘Mum’s strength wasn’t in- wasn’t from this,’ Taesung quietly sighs, sitting on the bed next to his father. ‘Mum was strong, she always was- and it wasn’t because of any of this.’

His dad nods, closing his eyes for a while.

‘I think I need to sleep.’

‘Okay,’ Taesung smiles, ‘I’ll help you. Let me clean this up-‘

 

‘DON’T TOUCH IT OMG XIUMIN’S DAD STOP-!’

 

‘No.’

Taesung is reaching out for the broken eggs but his father stops him.

 

‘THANK GOD-!’

 

‘Leave it- just…it’s my mess. I will take care of it.’

Taesung nods and relief floods Minseok. His dad never touched the eggs. But there’s something so wrong, with watching his father help his grandfather down on the flat old pillow, surrounded with broken eggs.

‘Go dry yourself.’

‘Yes dad,’ Taesung pulls a blanket over him, ‘Sleep well- call, if there’s any pain or something. Anything.’

Taesung leaves the room slowly, staring all around at the increase in artefacts and other assorted ritual items. Grimacing, Taesung leaves.

 

‘Honestly, I’d just burn it all.’

 

Minseok knows he should follow his dad, but he pauses instead, looking over his grandfather whose eyes are still open, looking up at the ceiling. Carefully, Minseok sits on the bed for a moment, just taking everything in slowly. He stares at the broken eggs, unsure what to think.

‘Lu Han?’ he tries again.

 

‘Oh right, I forgot that he’s kinda stranded.’

 

‘Aunt Sohee?’

There’s nothing.

‘Taehyung?’

He quietly takes a breath, concentrating as best as he could. He should wake up. He had to.

‘Kyungsoo?’

He’s startled as his grandfather suddenly gasps, making him open his eyes, turning to face the old man. His grandfather scrambles for a moment, before he finds the picture frame he had been clutching earlier. Then, moving back he closes his eyes, hugging the frame to his chest.

The picture frame is empty.

 

‘That’s mildly terrifying.’

‘Okay gotta admit that actually gave me goosebumps.’

 

He’s about to reach for it, when a thin large blackened hand reaches out first, gently caressing the top of his grandfather’s hand.

 

‘THIS IS VERY MUCH MORE THAN MILDLY TERRIFYING!’

 

Pulse loud in his ears, under his skin, Minseok slowly, painfully, looks up.

It looks over his grandfather, comforting almost, in its gesture, in its mannerism. Shaking, Minseok slowly and quietly gets up, barely looking at It, barely even breathing. He couldn’t let It see him.

He couldn’t.

 

‘XIUMIN MY DUDE I NEED YOU TO NOT EVEN BREATHE OKAY-?’

 

Not here, not now- not when he couldn’t hear anyone else or feel anyone else around him.

After what felt like years, Minseok steps out of the room. He walks down the hallway, legs shaking, skin prickling in anticipation to prepare to run- hide, anything. But nothing follows him out.

 

‘Honestly I wouldn’t be too sure.’

 

Out in the living room, he takes a gasping breath, allowing himself to sink to his knees, his ears ringing from the effort. He needed to understand what was happening. For some reason he was here and that meant something-

‘-what are you implying?’

Minseok’s head snaps up at the voice, not because it was loud but because it was so abrasive and harsh.

‘I’m not implying anything,’ Taesung sounds frustrated but he’s doing his best to be level headed. ‘I just want to know what his results are, Daejung wouldn’t tell me-.’

 

‘Drama time.’

 

‘He was doing well,’ Heejae snaps, ‘His treatment was going really well- until you showed up!’

Taesung literally takes a step back, his expression beyond offended.

‘You made him confused- you destabilized him!’ she shrieks, ‘You just come here whenever you want, as if you know so much better! You’re not the one watching over him 24/7 are you? I am! It’s me! I know how he’s like the best-‘

‘He is my father-!’ Taesung replies back angrily, ‘And I am simply asking why you are not giving me his hospital report-!’

‘He’s your father only when it’s convenient for you, isn’t it?’ Heejae yells, ‘Only when you remember, or when you send your precious money- or what is it, now that you’ve been sending money, you think you have some authority over how he’s being taken care of? I didn’t see you complaining or asking questions before you sent money-!’

‘Because before that he still remembered who I was!’ Taesung yells. ‘Just show me the hospital report dammit-!’

‘How dare you raise your voice at me-?’ Heejae shrieks, ‘You were never like this before! This is all because your of a sister-!’

‘Enough!’ Taesung slams his hands down on the table. Minseok has never seen his father this angry. He’s never seen his father angry before at all.

‘What- going to hit me? Is that what this is?’ Heejae taunts.

‘Stop misdirecting, give me my father’s hospital reports and I will leave.’

‘This is my house, you’re here as my guest-!’

‘I was born and raised in this house; don’t forget that,’ Taesung hisses, ‘Give me the report now-!’

‘Why are you so worried huh? Think I’m not doing a good job-‘

‘-actually that’s exactly what I think-‘

‘-hah! I knew it, you can’t even take care of your wife and you expect to take care of your father-‘

‘If you talk about my wife one more time you will regret it Heejae.’

His sister-in-law bristles. But Taesung doesn’t allow her to speak.

‘Tell me the truth then- did you even take him to the hospital? Did you even have him checked by the psychiatrist-?’

‘What do you think people will say?’ Heejae demands, ‘You don’t think everyone knows that place is only for crazy people? Do you really want to bring shame to the family by taking him there?’

‘He is not well!’ Taesung cries out, ‘He is unable to cope well- his mind is not well, we can help him, or give him medication to ease his confusion! He’s still grieving-!’

‘You didn’t even cry once at her funeral you can’t say you understand anything about grieving-!’ Heejae screams at him, ‘You don’t think other family members didn’t notice? You don’t think they didn’t talk? Your eyes were as dry as-!’

‘Shut your mouth!’

Minseok jumps a foot in the air when Daejung appears, towel over his shoulders as he glowers at his wife and brother.

‘There is no hospital report,’ Daejung tells him, removing his towel and dabbing the drops of water around his hairline before throwing it at his wife, ‘Go do something you’re actually good at and wash that.’

Heejae flushes in a splotchy manner, eyes still aflame as she glares at Taesung before leaving the kitchen.

‘What do you mean you didn’t take him to the hospital,’ Taesung demands, rounding up his brother.

‘Calm down,’ Daejung huffs out as he sits down.

Taesung does not calm down.

 

‘…’

‘…’

‘…’

‘…’

‘Hold up- are-…these people are the literal ing worst-!’

‘I have never been angrier at a character like this-!

I am- I am so angry I hate these people so much-!’

‘Oh my god- oh my god? I can’t-

-I can’t even-

I’m just so-

I AM JUST SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW-!’

 

‘He needs real medical attention- I will take him there myself today-!’

‘You will not,’ Daejung pulls out a cigarette, ‘You can ask him yourself, he does not want to go.’

‘Does he not want to go because that’s what he wants or is it something you and Heejae have persuaded him into believing?’

Daejung lights up his cigarette, glancing up at Taesung like he was being difficult.

‘Look, I know you’re worried about him-‘

 

‘I HAVE NEVER HATED SOMEONE SO MUCH IN MY WHOLE LIFE-!’

 

‘I am more than worried about him!’ Taesung explodes, ‘Hyung you’re-‘

‘There’s no need to be emotional. You were already worried, and you got here during a bad time; you’re not thinking rationally.’ Daejung blows out a bit of smoke. ‘You should go get dry and rest up, then we can talk.’

Taesung shakes his head, walking backwards, ‘I’m sick of this.’

‘You and noona were always too emotional,’ Daejung remarks, ‘Did she set you up to this? I wouldn’t be surprised if she was still trying to control you even when she’s not in the same country.’

 

‘WOW- JUST WOW, THIS IS INSANE I AM GOING TO GO INSANE-!’

 

Taesung just stares at his older brother, not quite able to say anything. Minseok wants to cry for his father- for the hurt he must be feeling, the pain- the betrayal, the hopelessness.

Without saying a word, Taesung turns around and walks away.

‘Where is Taesung?’

Minseok jumps, his grandfather stands by the hallway that lead to his room. It’s evening now, the rain is still heavy and the light bulbs flicker every now and then.

‘He left,’ Daejung replies easily, ‘Feeling better?’

‘Yes,’ his grandfather nods, stepping out of the hallway, trailed by a heavy mass of darkness like some slightly opaque shadow. ‘Just needed some sleep.’

‘Pops, don’t scare me like that again okay? Did you see me? I ran out into the rain, I already have a cold, please think of us,’ Heejae scolds lightly, leaning over the squeeze his shoulder gently.

‘Oh, Heejae-ah, are you feeling all right?’ his grandfather asks earnestly, expression dimming with worry.

‘Pops, you know I’m strong- I’m just a little tired, nothing more than the usual. It’s like how I am after setting up your baths.’

 

‘I AM IN SO MUCH RAGE RIGHT NOW OH MY GOD THIS IS-‘

 

‘I’ve already told you that you don’t need to do that,’ his grandfather shakes his head, ‘It’s a man’s pride- you know that? Man’s pride, you should just not do it anymore.’

‘If you insist.’

‘Just take that time to look after Jisung and Hyerim.’

Heejae makes an offended sound, ‘Are you saying I’m not taking care of them? Of course I am!’

‘No no, that’s not what I meant- you misunderstand-.’ The shadow behind his grandfather grows darker, larger.

‘-so it’s my fault?’

‘No no-‘ the shadow writhes.

‘There there, it’s okay both of you- dad, you didn’t mean it like that, didn’t you? Your words aren’t coming out right, are they?’ Daejung offers.

‘Yes- that’s right,’ his grandfather says immediately. ‘Heejae-ah, ignore me, I’m just an old man.’

‘Pops, it’s okay- I understand.’ Heejae chirps, ‘How about we set up the next house call for tomorrow?’

His grandfather nods though he doesn’t look enthusiastic before he makes a sound, as though remembering something.

‘Wait- can we schedule it for day after tomorrow?’

‘Why pops?’

 

‘Side note I hate how she calls his pops.’

 

‘I want to go meet Minseok- it was his birthday, I should greet him,’ his grandfather smiles. The shadow is less turbulent.

Heejae and Daejung share a quick look.

‘Oh but pops, you know how expensive it is to reschedule with the healer,’ Heejae says smoothly, ‘We’re already having to really budget the kids expenses- it won’t look good if Jisung and Hyerim feel like their grandfather would rather spend more money on their cousin, now would it?’

The shadow behind his grandfather spikes.

‘Oh, you’re right.’

‘Besides, I don’t have time to take you all the way into the city,’ Daejung throws in casually, ‘I work enough as is.’

‘You’re right, you’re right,’ his grandfather nods, looking down, shoulders lowering.

‘Soyoung knows how to drive, pity she’s incapable of doing anything more than overfeed her child,’ Heejae scoffs, ‘It’s been years and it’s like she’s stopped being a woman-‘

‘Don’t say that,’ his grandfather suddenly snaps. ‘Soyoung nearly died- her health matters the most over having other children. Is that her only duty? To have more children? Don’t say such nonsense.’

Heejae looks like she’s about to burst out when Daejung clears his throat.

‘I feel full from dinner, but it’s like I’m not satisfied, what else is there Heejae?’

‘I can make some dessert.’

His grandfather stands, slowly walking to his room, tears quietly streaming down his face as the shadow expands more and more and forms a tall gangly version of himself, mimicking his movements and gait.

Barely breathing, Minseok follows after his grandfather.

 

‘Where’s Jongdae?’

‘He went to take a literal breather.’

 

He stands by the doorway as he watches his grandfather navigate the mess in the room in the dark, lightning striking outside, throwing harsh relief over the items in the room and the now all too familiar shape that hovers over his grandfather.

Hovers?

Or reflects.

They both place their head on their hands. Bent backs heaving as they breathe heavily, as though trying to control their panic. They reach for the empty picture frame one more time but Minseok’s grandfather lets out a gasp as his hand is engulfed in the large thin hands of this strange shadow.

‘Who are you!?’ he demands, body twisting away with fear and anguish.

Who are you?’

‘What?’ he gasps out.

‘Do you know who you are?’

‘I-…yes.’

‘Really? Then what do you wish for?’

‘I-…I want to see my wife again.’

‘No. What do you wish for?’

He starts to cry, shaking on his small bed.

‘Minseok-ah,’ he sobs, ‘I’m sorry.’

 

‘Jongdae-ah, are…-are you crying?’

 

Stomach clenching, Minseok holds back his own tears.

‘My boy, sweet boy, I need- I need to make it right with him,’ he whispers out, ‘I failed all of my children. I need to- I need to show them, I can do better. Still do better.’

‘How can you do that when you’re here?’

‘You-you’re right,’ he nods, shakily pushing himself up. ‘You’re right. Why am I here?’

‘And you’re going to do this on your own.’

‘You’re right- I don’t want to be a burden on anyone, I want to do this on my own. I know I can get better,’ his grandfather nods. ‘I know I can make this better. I can show everyone. I can do this. Alone.’

‘What do you wish for?’

Sitting up, his grandfather looks energized and shockingly clear headed.

‘I want to go to him,’ he smiles, ‘I must give him his present.’

‘Then let’s go.’

‘Thank you, for helping me. I’ll make sure not to lose sight of you this time.’ His grandfather says as It helps him stand, hand wrapping around and over the side, exactly where his hand-shaped bruise was.

‘That’s good. Come on, let’s go find Minseok-.’

‘HYUNG!’

Both Minseok and It jump around at Kyungsoo’s voice.

Lightning freezes outside the window, shining bright through the threadbare curtains, all over Minseok, highlighting him brightly.

It’s looking at him.

‘No, no- no no-‘ his grandfather starts to murmur, shaking, ‘I can’t go yet, can I? But I have to see my boy-‘

Minseok knows It’s looking at him- he can’t hide- this memory is frozen now- this memory- it wasn’t his, it wasn’t connected to the cigarette case this was-

Yes. Let’s go see you boy,’ It says, ‘Let’s show him everything.’

 

 

‘…’

‘…’

‘…’

‘Okay so I’m back and excuse me but I have never, in my whole life, been angrier at people I don’t even know exist or not.

I just had to- take a moment, to really process all of that.’

‘It’s okay, it was a lot.’

‘Also I hate where you ended the story.’

‘Thank you! So what do you guys think of part 2?’

‘I need part 3 now for closure.’

‘Well you’ll get it in about 10 minutes, I need to cook some rice first.’

‘Oh yeah, our takeaway should be arriving soon.’

‘Guys don’t forget to support your local businesses, we’re getting our dinner tonight from this small restaurant like, 10 minutes away, they’re great!’

‘Can we make that 15 minutes, I think someone threw up a hairball and I need to take care of it.’

‘I think that’s something I always forget to consider when it comes to cats.’

‘Hairballs?’

‘Yeah.’

‘Yeah, that’s why when people go from owning dogs to cats, the contrast and change- it can be a bit much for them.’

‘I think this is the first time we’ve had this many cats on our show.’

‘I assumed you were partial to dogs. You’ve had a lot of dogs come on here.

Wasn’t there that one white poodle, just so much attitude? Would love to meet them.’

‘Oh yeah, Sehunnie and Vivi.’

‘He’s a dog-person, so I don’t think you’ll click.’

‘Oh? That’s a pity, his dog sounds amazing. Would love to be introduced to the little fella.’

‘Okay back to the story!’

‘Feeling better?’

‘No, but we should move on so I can get my closure quickly.’

‘A man who has his priorities straight.’

‘I AM SO ANGRY-!’

(Please enjoy this ad!)

‘I am so angry. I am also disgusted. And I also so so sorry for Xiumin’s dad.

I cannot imagine how it must feel to be in a position like that.’

‘I know, like, you’ve heard of insane in-laws, and I think this is just…this is literally the worst.’

‘I think we’re right in saying that the continued detrimental state of the grandfather’s mental health is in many ways, directly related to the uncle and aunt.’

‘Yeap! We can absolutely say that!’

‘Wondering how they’re going to bring him back- it seems he’s lost connection with his friends and aunt.’

‘Oh yeah, that- great, what’s he gonna do.’

‘Wait, didn’t they say he needed to be possessed to a certain extent? Maybe this is just, a uh, speedy route towards that, with no breaks or stops.’

‘I mean we know Xiumin is fine now, so that’s one good thing, but I don’t know how this can possibly end in a good way.’

‘I’m also moving past the anger, and headed straight for the sad part because-‘

‘-you’re just going through all 5 stages of grief aren’t you?’

‘I absolutely am, because this isn’t a horror or scary story, this is just sad. I am sorry, to our viewers, for the turn in this story. Again, we are listening to this cold, if you want to blame anyone, IG user luhan underscore-‘

‘Please do not make threats, my cats will be sad.’

‘You’re good.’

‘I know!’

‘So okay, time to cook rice, and we get on with part 3!’

‘Yes!’

‘CLOSURE!’

‘And sorry for the people who will have to wait another week for the finale.’

‘Think of it this way, you’ll have to cook rice 7 more times until then.’

‘What if they cook rice twice a day.’

‘So that’s…-?

…-?’

’14, oh my god-?.’

‘Hyung, are you really studying physics-?’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yves Saint Awkward: I can’t believe we started part 2 with Lu Han pretending to eat cat food he REALLY fits in with the group wtf

 

Professional Procrastinator 3000: I think the scariest part about this story is how, especially with the grandpa, you can see how he is a good man in many ways, but he’s also a terrible person in many ways: and that stands true to SO many people. He was supportive and caring of his daughter in law and her health conditions, but was absolutely racist towards his Japanese son in law – relatives, parents- they really be do like that and it’s like, what can you even say or do at that point. They’re good people and you love them but they’re also horrible people who make others lives difficult genuinely like what would you do, I feel bad for xiumin’s dad tbh

 

Throw it back Felix: I came here because I was promised horror stories. I am CRYING. I repeat: I AM CRYING. WHAT THE MAN.

 

Dive by Jinyoung is Ruining My Life: they never did the recap eye-

 

AKMU Deserve a Grammy: xiumins aunt and uncles relationship is so ing ist do you know what I mean like wow but also at the same time I have aunts and uncles that are EXACTLY like this and I didn’t come here to be reminded of them dammit

 

Chrisnossaurus: im crying because this is both scary and sad at the same time

 

minghaoFrogagenda: I always thought I would never be able to become a vegetarian because I love eggs so much, but I guess this episode is gonna convert more ppl into vegetarianism

 

You Can’t Sit With Us: the two main hosts losing their over how much they hate the aunt and uncle was basically me throughout this episode omg can people like that ACTUALLY exist my god I hope not

 

I’m Alcohol Free: okay…so maybe I WON’T divorce because of the grandfather and the goats head business but I DO NOT want THAT woman as my sister-in-law so the papers are with me, my bags are packed, I am OUT any second

 

167 is average height: I cannot deal with this story I’m so mad and upset at his ty relatives and so worried about the ending that was weirdly ominous but also- like idk, something so wholeheartedly sad too guys I can’t deal with this

 

Won’t Survive a Day in Itzy: I just went through every possible human emotion in the span of 26 minutes I am not okay I need a drink

 

Bocchann: okay…hear me out but like, do you think…especially considering the titles of the episodes…that. You know. Cough. The demon thing that’s tied to this Xiumin guy is uhhhhhhhhhhh. You know?

 

Si Fueras Mia: ive been lied to this isn’t horror this is a whole TRAGEDY LIKE WTF

 

*Seulgi voice* queens: the amount of ppl in the comments going “hey this sounds like my family” makes me realize that im not alone and also like, this shouldn’t be the norm right

 

A Lover AND a Loser? It’s more likely than you think: my mind is reeling, I need the final chapter update now like I know it’s not gonna end well for the grandfather but I need to know how they stop whatever this thing is and how they get Xiumin back out from this weird past memory dimension thing place

 

Why Are All The B-Sides Bops?: listen…can I have in on this memory because I need some punching to do

 

illumina_dain: watching baekhyun and jongdae try their best not to curse and swear as the story unfolds is very comforting in a way because I was doing the same, watching this on earphones with my family all around me, seething and foaming silently in the mouth

 

SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE: this isn’t scary this is straight up depressing man

 

Aghase AM to PM: Minseok is remarkably chill like my man out here not remotely upset by this story has he just been extremely desensitized at this point, jongdae on the other hand, that was ME

 

Erikyoooooooonggggg_ggg: I cannot begin to express my anger. Like at this point, therapy is not an option anymore right? Like I don’t even want these people to get therapy I’m like rot and stew in your negative manipulative juices forever and ever you absolute pieces of

 

2pm IS the hottest time of the day: I actually would like that shirt thank you lu han I’d wear it every time I had my period

 

Baguette Au Pain: eggs EGGS EGGS ONCE MORE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

 

YOU- YOU ARE – MY UNIVERSE!!: jongdae having to actually leave was literally me, I couldn’t listen to the argument because I’ve been there and it’s like in the end these type of ppl make you feel like you’re the one who is illogical and insensitive and wrong it’s a lot to digest for people who have never been exposed to this sort of…this sort of dynamic

 

Sehun_omayaaaaaa: nothing you do will every make me forgive you

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s Notes:

Hello

It is I

Not the frenchiest fry

And if you understood that reference im sorry we have both been using the internet for too long

Anyways so I am back

Ish

Last month bros, horrible, if you’re thinking damn this chapter and the last one had a lot of negative toxic family members

Well, what can I say, art imitates life am I right guys

Last month was man

You know how ppl are like, writers project their lives into their writing and try to make it better or something for escapism. Well there’s a lot of projection here that’s for sure but I don’t know how it gets better

But this month is going okay! So far! So here’s an update hehe

The “next” season is gonna be great, I have outlines for the special guests already written out it’s gonna be great.

Also really glad to know Minseok’s doing well and he’s recovered.

I hope everyone out there is safe and you’re vaccinated and healthy! Please continue wearing masks!

Okay I wrote this authors note a long while ago but here’s a new addition:

Please get vaccinated if you can and wear masks even if you’re vaccinated