Once Upon an Unsolved Vlog: Chapter 6.1 “A Manifestation of Grief”

Hey demons! It's ya boi(s)!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

‘Hello everyone!’

‘As you can tell from the title, this is going to be a special 3 part season finale episode…trilogy!’

‘Exactly!’

‘And we have, a very highly requested, very highly sought after, very highly-…very highly demanded-!’

‘Super special guest!’

‘Minseok-hyung, please do the honours.’

‘Why me?’

‘Please do the honours!’

‘Well, this is Mon.

He’s a very good boy.’

‘Minseok-ah, I know you love me, you can stop the tsundere act.’

‘Guys it’s Lu Han hyung!’

‘Hi!’

‘WOOOOO!!!’

‘WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

LU HAN HYUNG IN THE HOUSE WOOOOO!!!’

‘Yeah it’s great.’

‘Awwww Minseokkie-fgjjkrrmmmhhhhh-‘

(you can gif this scene of Minseok-hyung cackling like a maniac as Lu Han hyung deals with a mouthful of cat-paw)

‘Okay yeah so the amount of comments regarding Lu Han hyung is wow-!’

‘It’s annoying to filter through.’

‘Then why do you send me screenshots of comments about my babies hm?’

‘I did no such thing.’

‘We thought as this was a special 3 part episode, because wow this story-‘

‘-which we haven’t read but heard a rough summary from Lu-hyung as he said it was quite deep-‘

‘-is going to be one hell of a ride.’

‘But before we do that! Please introduce yourself a little as well as the babies who are with you!’

‘Hey guys! My name is Lu Han and I am the newest member of the editing team here at Unsolved!’

‘It’s actually Lu-hyung who has been editing the vast majority of this season! Let’s all give him a huge hand!’

‘Not literally though, thanks!’

‘I would actually like a literal huge hand-‘

(Ad time)

‘I’m currently studying my PhD in astrophysics! And this is Ku, and this is Ma, and the handsome boy Minseok is holding is Mon-‘

‘-KU MA MON!’

‘-they’re all rescue cats, best babies in the world though recently Mon has abandoned me in favour of Minseok.’

‘Honestly as a cat I’d go for Minseok-hyung too.’

‘Same.’

‘Actually yeah.’

(You can pause and screenshot this reaction of Minseok-hyung looking incredibly uncomfortable!)

‘Which brings us to the next question, how did you join us!’

‘Well, I’ve been close friends with Minseok’s family for a while, and I’ve always loved a good spooky story. I followed your channel ever since Minseok told me about it. And with the pandemic happening, well, here I am. Your new trustworthy editor.’

‘Also, this leads up to our next point.’

‘I know some of you are asking, why do we need another editor when Minseok-hyung, the most amazing and most talented man ever, exists?’

‘Simp. But you’re not wrong!

Well, we don’t want to overwork Minseok-hyung!’

‘And also because of our generous viewers and subscribers, our humble channel has grown and well-‘

‘What he’s saying is that we can afford to not overwork me.’

‘Exactly!’

‘And also our next point, another question you might have is, ‘does that mean Lu Han will be joining them during shoots?’

The answer is no.’

‘I love staying home!’

‘So do I but no one asked.’

‘Either way we’re really happy to have Lu-hyung with us, and show his angelic face to all of you!’

‘Also we’re filming the next season already, all following strict safety guidelines of course. So please expect a new season in a month or so after this ends.’

‘And also, we’re gonna let you in on a secret.

Come closer.

A bit more.

A biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit more-‘

‘-we’ve filmed all of the episodes of Once Upon an Unsolved Vlog in one week.’

‘I was going to tell them that.’

‘So by the time you’re watching this, we will have moved in together!’

‘We as in Minseok-hyung and us.’

‘Well that’s about all that needs addressing let’s start with our terrifying story!’

‘Nice.’

‘Enjoy!’

‘WAIT!’

‘Please don’t scream we’re wearing earphones and-‘

‘-we forgot to mention something about the new season.’

‘Oh-!’

‘-yeah so, again, to clarify this is all done super safely. We regularly get checked-‘

‘-yeah I think I have a q-tip up my nose permanently at this rate-‘

‘-and we are always washing our hands, our items, things we use, as well as face masks and shields and gloves-‘

‘-the point is, we’re very careful.’

‘-all our shoots will be taking place outdoors.’

‘-which may not seem very shocking but we will be doing what the kids these days refer to as outdoor activities.’

‘Here’s a short preview of us- mind you there’s going to be more but just based on what we have so far. In fact we have a special trip the end of this week- all possible because of Lu-hyung’s amazing and spacious car!’

‘Sleep over!’

‘Preview time!’

 

(Baekhyun screaming as he runs down a woody hill)

(Baekhyun screaming as he slips into a small stream)

(Baekhyun screaming as he tries to climb a small rock)

(Baekhyun screaming as he runs through a field)

(Baekhyun screaming in the dark as a moth flies into his face)

(Strange movement in the bushes in the dark)

(Jongdae cackling like a maniac over a small bonfire)

(Minseok sleeping as he sits, marshmallow on fire)

(Baekhyun screaming as he runs through a different field)

 

‘So! I hope you enjoyed that!’

‘Again, just a sneak preview into what to expect!’

‘Okay, can we start the story now?’

‘Yes.’

‘Anything to say about this story Lu-hyung?’

‘Actually, this story was sent to me by my cousin Xiumin.

I asked him if I could share this story on this channel and it took him a while, and you know, I blackmailed him-‘

‘-uh.’

‘-um.’

‘I’m kidding!

He was fine with it.

So I guess I should preface with some backstory first I guess?’

‘That’ll be great!’

‘I know that Baekhyun is a believer, and Jongdae is well, more skeptical.’

‘That’s about right.’

‘I just like evidence more than momentary thrills or chills.’

‘And both opinions and beliefs are respected in this channel!’

‘So, my cousin Xiumin is what could be referred to as a conduit.’

‘What does that mean?’

‘He’s receptive to the presence of the spiritual realm, allowing him to enter it, or interact with it, and be approached by whatever is in the spiritual realm.’

‘Oh-…okay, you know, now that I think about, I’ve only ever thought about people who are like, well, conduits, are kinda like, they see things and stuff, I never thought about them being APPROACHED by spirits.

That’s creepy!’

‘Yeah one moment you’re making a sandwich and a spirit is like ‘really? You’re gonna put blueberry jam AND scrambled eggs together?’’

‘…’

‘…’

‘…’

‘-all you just wait, this will be a hot trend soon.’

‘Anyways. He’s always been one- it kinda runs in his family I guess. His mother’s family are particularly gifted, but turns out, his fathers side of the family had some sort of connection too.’

‘Are these things hereditary?’

‘I don’t know, maybe, maybe not, it’s not like there’s extensive research conducted on topics like this.’

‘There should be.’

‘Actually I’d like to read that too.’

‘So, Xiumin’s always been able sense and see and interact with spirits. He’s not exactly working like a full fledged shaman or clairvoyant but sometimes he does help out situations when asked by family or friends. He was helping some friends out when it triggered a locked away memory- not quite forgotten, one that forcibly stayed hidden deep within his mind, waiting for him to remember and unlock it.’

‘This memory sounds sentient.’

‘…’

‘…’

‘…’

‘-what, why are you looking at me like that-‘

‘-well, he remembered, and then it started unlocking from within him, a series of living memories that spanned back generations it would seem, haunting his steps. So this story that we will be looking into is something of a…slightly dramatized retelling of what happens to him.’

‘This already sounds so good.’

‘Let’s go!’

 

 

 

 

*

 

 

It took me a while to come to terms about what I could do, and how that then came around back to me, and who I was. I tried for years to ignore the figures who existed only in my sight, heard only through my ears. But it existed within me regardless of what I thought about it, regardless of who I was, who I am.

In some ways, it helped when I realized I could help others with what I could do. I was in a position where I could hear stories otherwise forgotten, hear thoughts otherwise lost.

I didn’t realize however, that deep within my recesses of my mind, I had locked away a memory- a compressed weight of grief not understood, a darkness my 5 year old mind couldn’t process. But it was unlocked one day when I was helping a friend overcome the nightmare that followed her since she was a child. And for months, a weight from within me, a part of me, yet apart from me, dragged and haunted my steps.

 

‘Poetic, but oddly terrifying.’

‘Thank you!’

‘Okay?’

 

It blurred my edges, my being, my thoughts, my emotions- out of fear of what it could do to me, through me, to those I loved most, I sought help to look further past the weight of darkness, too push past the cold hands that pressed down on me as I slept, to stop the cold wet lips moving above my ear, asking me:

What do you wish for?

My close friend, a wonderful young man, talented and powerful in his field, helped me set up the exorcism. With some close friends and relatives, we started.

 

‘Wouldn’t it be fun to have like

A cool close friend like that.’

‘I supposed so…but like, the circumstances by which they would be helpful is…’

‘Yeah.’

 

I knew I would be safe.

I knew I would be able to find the source, find the source- the reason why this memory was haunting me- to overcome what I couldn’t when I was 6.

So I fell through into a world remembered long ago.

‘Remember,’ my uncle tells me. ‘There’s nothing you can do here.’

‘You can only watch.’ My close friend tells me. ‘Do not interfere. Do not show yourself in any way.’

 

‘Okay I smell a disaster.’

‘Same.’

 

And in the past, I find myself in an unfamiliar house. The hallways are dully lit by the distant reflection of the setting sun. At the end of the hallway, looking out of the dusty window is an old man.

‘We will come and get you.’ They tell me, reassuring me.

The old man slowly takes clearer form. His outline sharpening against the light of the window with each step I take. He holds the cigarette case closer to himself, clenching the metallic case tighter in his hands.

‘Don’t be afraid,’ they tell me again, their voices now a humming just under my skin and I take a deep breath, stepping forward into the past with surety.

The old man turns around, eyes a little dazed but focusing straight on Minseok, looking him straight in the eye.

‘Oh,’ he smiles, ‘Minseok-ah, you’ve grown so much!’

Minseok inhales sharply, taking a step back.

 

‘I TOLD YOU!’

 

‘He has, hasn’t he?’

His mother appears, holding him in her arms.

 

‘Oh.’

 

Minseok needs to take a moment to catch his breath. His grandfather had looked him right in the eye and for a moment Minseok thought he ed things up 5 seconds in.

It’s okay.’ Sohee’s voice tells him softly.

‘Oh look at him,’ his grandfather coos, pocketing the metallic case and throwing the cigarette out of the window before holding out his arms. Minseok’s mother is young, not much older than Minseok’s current age. She’s smiling indulgently as she hands Minseok over. And baby Minseok easily and eagerly goes over to his grandfather.

‘Ah,’ his grandfather hums exaggeratedly. ‘Such a big boy! You’re going to be a strong boy aren’t you?’

 

‘Let’s just pretend this is real but like-

How jarring would that be.’

‘I mean I know I was a cute baby, so that’d be soothing.’

‘I bet Minseok-hyung was the best cutest baby.’

(photographic evidence, thank you Minseok-hyung’s aunt!)

 

His mother laughs, reaching over to help adjust Minseok as he squirms and giggles.

‘You can hold him as long as you don’t smoke around him.’

‘Ah, of course, you don’t even have to say that Sangmi, I’ve got him.’

Minseok’s mother’s expression falters at the incorrect name, but she doesn’t comment.

‘This little guy is gonna have healthy lungs, aren’t you? A good healthy boy, he won’t smoke and make mistakes like his grandfather right?’ he chortles heartily before looking at Soyoung, ‘How are you doing? Was the drive tiring?’

 

‘Was that-…’

‘-hmm…faltering memory.’

‘I smell foundations of a great story.’

 

‘Just a little, Taesung was saying we might need to change the oil or something along that line.’

‘I’m afraid I can’t help in that area,’ his grandfather laughs heartily, ‘I’m sure Jiyeon-…’ he pauses a moment before he exhales out in frustration. ‘-well, I’ll go greet Taesung then. Shall we get going Minseok-ah? Hm?’

Minseok’s baby form giggles out an answer, small hands pulling at his grandfathers ear.

His grandfather, mother, and his 2 year old self walk past and Minseok crouches for a moment, just breathing for a moment, collecting himself.

‘Are they gone?’

‘Yeah.’

‘I can’t believe this nonsense.’ The woman’s voice continues. ‘This is frustrating.’

‘I know it’s difficult, but it’s not like you didn’t know what you were doing when you married him.’ the man’s voice drawls out.

‘I’m not asking him or any of you to bow down to my husband I’m just asking for some civility for crying out loud. He needs to get over his prejudices- we are not at war.’

‘You know it’s not easy on him.’

‘And you think it’s easy for me? For us?’

‘You need to understand-‘

‘Don’t give me any of that nonsense, just because you bent your back to do whatever they wanted-‘

‘-don’t talk about mum like that. Yes I did what they wanted, but it also allowed you guys to-‘

‘-are you really saying this? Are you stupid-?’

Minseok jumps when a door opens, and two people he vaguely recognizes appear.

‘-watch your mouth this is my house-!’

‘-it’s the family house you , it’s not yours yet. Dad is still here-‘

‘-and it will come to me.’

‘Is that why you’re so rushed? Mr-I’m-the-perfect-son? You can fool Taesung as much as you want but not taking him to the hospital-‘

‘-how dare you-!’

There’s a resounding slap and Minseok can’t stop watching in horror as his aunt and uncle argue.

 

‘FAMILY DRAMA TIME!’

‘Why are you so excited.’

‘Immersion!’

 

‘You and your husband Tetsuya are no longer welcome here- as you said, this is dad’s house, and it was only because of me you were invited here-‘

‘-how gracious of you to invite your older sister and her husband back home to attend New Years at her family home- that’s so kind of you-‘

‘-get out. Get out now.’

 

‘Damn this is some horrible family drama to drop in to.’

 

‘You know I wasn’t going to say this until it was all over but this is it. Don’t expect to hear from me-‘

‘-I’m sure your in-laws will be more than willing to have you-‘

Minseok physically moves away from his aunt as she storms off, tears in her eyes that her younger brother doesn’t see.

‘Noona-!’

Minseok’s dad is coming up the stairs but she pushes past, not saying a word. His dad looks torn, unsure whether he should follow his sister or ask his brother what was happening. His dad frowns up at his older brother who shrugs indifferently, not even looking at his brother and searching his pockets for a cigarette.

Minseok follows his dad back down the stairs.

 

‘A tricky situation to be in, no doubt.’

‘Really rooting for Xiumin’s dad here.’

 

He spots his mother and himself and his grandfather outside on the sunny landing. He instead hurriedly follows his dad past the living room space where to his shock, was a strange set-up of incense, ceremonial clay jars, and other artefacts mostly used for ritualistic practices.

‘Noona?’

His dad looks incredibly young, eyes wide as he looks at his older sister before noticing another person there.

‘Oh, Tetsuya-shii, it’s nice to meet you-‘ he starts, bowing in greeting.

‘-there’s no need for fake politeness,’ his sister seethes, ‘You’re not obligated to be polite anymore Taesung, we’re not welcome home anymore. This is the last you’ll see of us.’

Her husband Tetsuya doesn’t seem surprised at this and instead almost seemed to expect it, picking up a large suitcase and pushing it down onto the floor, readily taking the items his wife hands over to him.

‘Noona, are you-,’ his dad looks confused, desperate, but also not exactly surprised. ‘Noona.’

She stops, tears down her face but she’s angry more than anything else.

‘There’s nothing else to be said Taesung. This is it. Dad already said he would not accept our child. What’s the point in me trying so hard.’

 

‘This got real too fast I don’t like this family drama anymore.’

 

Minseok knows he has cousins in Japan but that’s the extent of his knowledge regarding his dad’s family.

Taesung just nods, sighing tiredly.

‘Don’t let your idiot of an older brother and his dumb of a wife continue whatever this nonsense they’re trying with dad.’

‘What is going on anyways? I thought we were just-‘

‘-open your god damn eyes Taesung, you think he actually cares? That has both of them in her grip- the worst mistake mum made-,’ she stops, breathing in and out for a moment before she continues, ‘Don’t let Daejung take hold of what’s happening to dad. What he needs is a good hospital, there’s a good one that I found-‘

‘-you know dad doesn’t want-‘

‘-it’s not about what he wants!’ she actually stomps her foot. ‘You know what, I’m sick of this family. One is too much of a and the other is too much of a pushover to understand what’s going on. Give Soyoung my best- actually she won’t need it. There’s no need to call me when our brother finally murders our father.’

 

‘This whole family needs therapy.’

 

She pushes him out of the door, slamming it loudly. Minseok and his dad stand stunned outside the door.   

Minseok watches as his dad stares down at the floor blankly for a while. They can hear his sister beyond the door, angrily talking while her husband replies in a calmer voice.

Minseok’s dad leans back against the wall, sighing out quietly. He stands up straight again, stepping forward to knock on his sister’s door when there’s an odd sound.

The hair on Minseok’s neck stands on end- a familiarity itching at something in his mind. Minseok’s dad turns to look around at the end of the dimly lit hallway. There’s only one door left- the guestroom, or at least, an extra room of sorts.

The sound is coming from there.

Minseok’s dad, confused, walks up to the door, pausing at the doorway. He sniffs, as though he smells something. Minseok leans in as well, inhaling deeply. He feels a gentle presence next to him and Lu Han’s voice quietly fills his left ear.

‘It smells like charred fat and skin.’

A shadow moves past the crack of the door but Minseok’s dad doesn’t see it. He just looks around, sighing, before he walks away. Minseok stays, looking at the normal innocent door and inhaling for a moment.

Fingers, blunt and long, drum softly on the surface- waiting.

Minseok follows his dad out back to the living room. He pauses, frowning at what’s been arranged around the floor and low tables. The television set suddenly switches on, making Minseok’s dad do a double take, frowning as he looks around for the remote. He stands in front of the television set and tries to switch it off but it won’t.

‘Ah, it keeps doing that.’

 

‘Sure it does.’

 

Minseok and his dad turn around at the same time.

‘Heejae-shii,’ his dad bows shortly. Minseok recognizes her. She’s younger here but then again, Minseok hasn’t seen his uncle’s wife in almost a decade now. He mostly associates her with his dad’s frown and pursed lips of frustration and annoyance.

‘Taesung-ah, call me noona it’s okay, we’re all family aren’t we?’

His dad smiles uncomfortably before gesturing to the television.

‘Ah, yeah, just switch it off on the side panel. The remote refuses to work.’

His dad nods and clearly trying to end the conversation turns his whole back to her to switch off the television. But his sister-in-law doesn’t budge.

 

‘Don’t you just hate it when people don’t get a hint?’

 

‘It’s so nice to see pops smiling so much. He really dotes on Minseok-ah.’ She smiles widely, ‘I guess the baby’s baby really is special.’

‘I like to think it’s because he got his looks from Soyoung’s side,’ Taesung smiles affably.

‘Of course,’ Heejae gestures brightly, opening to say something when her expression turns sour.

His sister is walking out, bag under her arm, carrying a duffle bag. Her husband behind her, is dragging along a suitcase, another bag slung on his shoulder.

No one says a word.

‘He’s so rude- did you see that? He won’t even bow to me,’ Heejae scoffs, ‘It’s not like I always agree with pops but maybe he does have a point about them. Also, she’s changed, and not for the better if you ask me, after marrying him. Thinks she’s better than us now for working at a big city abroad.’

 

‘Okay maybe therapy isn’t enough.’

 

‘I didn’t ask you,’ Minseok’s dad says simply before excusing himself without a word.

 

(collective yelling and this horrible mic-drop edit)

 

Minseok feels a thrill of satisfaction at the look on her face before jogging to keep up with his dad. They’re stopped at the doorway by Tetsuya who shakes his head, as though telling Taesung not to pursue.

‘Taesung-shii,’ he says simply, holding out a small business card. ‘My contact information in Osaka.’

‘Thank you,’ Taesung bows.

‘Please take care,’ Tetsuya bows before he pauses, as thought to say something. There’s a small frown on his brow, looking past his shoulder. Minseok looks back, catching sight of Heejae who was brazenly watching everything.

‘Please be careful,’ he adds in a careful accent. Then he turns heel and leaves.

 

‘Thank you brother in law!’

‘Also weirdly ominous.’

 

Minseok feels awkward for his dad as he turns back inside, Tetsuya’s business card safe in his pocket. His older brother is there, smoking at the dining table while his wife was clearly just telling him what happened.

‘Weirdly I think this works out,’ his brother blows out some smoke. ‘We had to change your room upstairs.’

‘What? Why?’ his dad pauses on his way out to where his wife was.

‘The healer who comes for dad isn’t cheap- he stays for a few days at a time. So we gave him the best room in the house.’ His brother blows out some smoke again, ‘So I guess now that noona has left, you can take the room she was staying in.’

‘Healer?’ Taesung raises his eyebrows but before he can ask any further questions, baby Minseok’s happy squeals fill the air. His grandfather is holding his hands up, making him walk in a funny manner before lifting him high up. Soyoung follows, smiling at the whole thing though her expression falters at the obvious tension in the room.

 

‘Damn. This family has issues.’

‘This is…toxic. This is toxic, isn’t it?’

 

‘I guess you’ll want to take some rest,’ Heejae smiles. ‘I’ll make us some refreshments around 3, does that sound good? What about you pops? Some chilled barley tea?’

His grandfather huffs out a reply, handing Minseok back over to his mum.

‘He’ll want some sleep soon I’m guessing, you know, babies need it,’ Heejae offers unnecessarily. ‘I think now is a good time, Minseok-ah looks a little too chubby-‘

‘We will be taking that nap,’ Soyoung replies quickly with a thin smile before turning to Minseok in his arms, ‘Right baby?’

Minseok’s responds in some manner of baby speech, causing his dad to smile as well. As they turn to go, Taesung gently tugging at his wife’s sleeve to redirect her from going up the stairs and instead to the back hallway, Minseok makes whiney noises, arms stretched out to his grandfather.

‘Ah,’ his grandfather beams, making funny faces and wiggling his hands, ‘Minseok-ah is a good boy isn’t he? Won’t you go nap?’

Minseok makes more whiny noises- small and quiet but his body is leaning out of his mother’s arms.

‘Ah,’ his grandfather reaches for him. ‘It’s okay Soyoung-ah, I’ll have him nap with me here in the living room.’

His mum’s eyes dart to the living area.

‘He won’t get hurt, no worries,’ his grandfather reassures him, ‘Take some rest both of you.’

Soyoung, with a little reluctance that she masks perfectly, hands Minseok over to his grandfather.

 

‘Okay I’d just pack and leave if I’m being honest.’

‘For a lot of reasons that don’t include the ritualistic stuff: same.’

 

The moment they’re gone, Heejae says, ‘He’s going to be unhealthy and weak if they continue like this. He’s already 2 and his walking is worrying.’

‘Ah,’ his grandfather croons at Minseok who squeals in delight, tiny hands slapping him on the face. ‘No, he’ll be a good and strong boy, won’t you Minseok-ah. A good strong boy.’

‘Anyways, she looks so weak and frail. I feel bad for Taesung, he clearly does all the work, bringing in all the suitcases like that. It’s been 2 years since she gave birth, I was cleaning the house a month after I had Jisung.’

‘Not everyone is strong like you,’ her husband says, nodding at the ashtray at the end of the table where he was sitting at. Heejae walks over to the table and hands him the ashtray.

‘She needs to be stronger then that.’

Minseok maybe wants to punch his aunt and uncle.

 

‘Wow I want to punch Xiumin’s aunt and uncle.’

(we do not condone violence of any sort)

 

His mother had a difficult birth and his father had been terrified at the idea of losing her. She had health complications for a long while after that, but with care and treatment got better and stronger. Minseok steps away from the dining table to where his grandfather and his baby-self were.

Minseok takes a good look at the set up in the living room as his grandfather plays with him. There was ceremonial flasks and jars, mostly filled with alcohol and preserved herbs. Nothing seemed too extreme- none of what was set up here was really particularly harmful or potentially strong.

His aunt and uncle continue to make remarks about his parents as they step into the kitchen and Minseok would really rather not listen so he steps back to where his parents had disappeared, feeling the urge to somehow comfort them or something.

‘-eally wish I could just at least convince him to go with me,’ his father sighs. ‘Does it seem to be worse now? Hyung won’t tell me in clear answers, and well, noona does tend to exaggerate at times.’

‘He called me by a different name. And…and he seemed to think well, your mother was still here.’

Taesung sighs, sitting on the bed as Soyoung sits on a chair by the window.

‘Jeonghee was telling me I need to watch the house- watch dad, because Daejung is…-‘

There’s a pause, just sighing quietly under their breaths as they unpack some items.

‘Do you know why there’s…why there seems to be witchcraft items in his bedroom?’

‘Daejung?!’ Taesung looks around wildly.

‘No- uh,’ his mum looks uncomfortable before she says, ‘Follow me for a moment.’

They step out into the hallway and cross the hallway to the other door.

‘Wait- dad’s been moved down?’ Taesung frowns incredulously.

‘He said it’s so that he doesn’t disturb anyone else from his snoring.’

Taesung pauses a moment, closing his eyes before following after his wife to the smaller bedroom opposite the one they would be sleeping in. Soyoung pauses, hesitant to touch the doorknob.

‘What’s wrong?’ Taesung asks in confusion.

For a heart-stopping moment, Minseok thinks his mother can see him, their eyes locking as she looks about.

‘It feels…wrong.’

 

‘THEN DON’T GO INSIDE OH MY GOD!’

 

‘It’s okay, I’ll open it, it’s dad’s room.’

Minseok doesn’t think his mum is talking about being polite about her father in law’s privacy.

His dad opens the room and a shadow leaps out at him, overwhelming, breaking the walls of the house, of this memory, of this space-

The sheer force pushes him violently against the wall, hurtling right up against him, his bones on fire.

‘You’ve got this!’ Sohee’s voice is clear in his ear. ‘You’ve got this!’

Struggling, Minseok opens his eyes to find everything normal and clean. His parents are walking into his grandfathers room and Minseok detects nothing ominous.

‘You’re doing okay, don’t worry, you’re safe,’ Sunmi tells him. ‘We’re watching.’

‘It’s okay hyung,’ Kyungsoo tells him quietly.

Minseok takes a shaky step forward into the room.

‘-on’t know what to do.’ His dad is saying, looking at the stacks of fruits placed up against a newly set up alter of sorts. The bed is pushed to the side, and no other furniture except for low flat tables covered in table cloths occupy the room. All the tables are covered with offerings, incense, feathered fans, drums, metallic bowls many of which seemed to have old blood in it. Bright silk banners with writing hang down from the walls and ceilings, entirely covering every conceivable surface. Even the windows are blocked. Instead there are tall candles all over the tables, as well as a vast amount of clay jars filled with wine. Minseok’s mum points to the alter in the room.

‘I didn’t think your father was-…I didn’t think he believed in this.’

 

‘That’s when you take baby-Xiumin, and gtfo, like, at this point, I think there are MANY reasons to leave.’

‘Yeah, don’t bring a baby into all of that.’

 

‘He doesn’t,’ his dad replies grimly, looking around the place with a combination of sorrow, frustration, and resignation. ‘Mum did though. That’s how she met Heejae. I think this-…I think this reminds him of her.’

Soyoung looks back around from the alter where Minseok, to his horror, finds a whole goats head.

‘At first, when I heard they were bringing in shamans, I just- I thought it was mostly just to carry out some traditional stuff, or I don’t know- maybe dad thought it would be nice, to do- for mum I mean.’ Taesung sighs out, looking up and briefly studying the dried plants hanging there. ‘You know he hasn’t-…he hasn’t been able to cope.’

 

‘…okay this just got intensely sad.’

‘Yeah.’

 

Soyoung nods though she can’t help but look back at the alter frequently. She walks towards the bed and points, ‘These items aren’t…they’re not really part of all of this.’

‘Hm?’ his dad walks over and Minseok looks past his dad to see what his mum was pointing at.

Crudely formed clay eggs- 4 of them, laid atop the flat lumpy pillow.

‘What do you mean?’ his dad asks as he reaches out to touch them but Soyoung stops him, shaking her head.

‘I’ve- I’ve seen these before,’ Soyoung explains, ‘Don’t touch them.’

 

‘THESE ING EGGS AGAIN-!’

‘Taehyung-ah! Hope you’re enjoying this episode!’

 

Taesung nods, uncomfortable as he studies them.

‘What are they?’

‘Uh,’ Soyoung looks uncomfortable before she replies, ‘I’m not very uh, clear on it but- well, it’s normally clay or dirt from ah, a burial site.’

‘Oh.’ Taesung’s eyes widen.

‘There-…it’s mixed with bone, blood, uh, sometimes ash,’ Soyoung fidgets, stopping as they hear Taesung being called.

‘I guess we should go-,’ Taesung turns and Minseok locks eyes with his mother- and he knows she sees him- or at least-

A shudder goes through him just as a pair of lips, wet and moist, open as though to speak right at his ear:

What do you wish for?’

 

 

*

 

 

‘Hey, I hate this story thanks.’

‘It’s not even done.’

‘All the more reason to hate it.

It cannot be getting better.’

‘That…that’s an oddly realistic thing to say. Coming from you.’

‘Excuse me I am very realistic.’

‘Well! That’s part 1 for now.’

‘Yes, and again, I am hating this. Can we just- first of all, I didn’t know there was a field of um, clairvoyance where you could access memories like that.’

‘Yes there is! It’s called retrocognition! People who have this are able to touch something and see or feel the memories tied in with it.’

‘By the way I already knew what it was guys, I just thought it would be a good segue into introducing retrocognition as a whole.’

‘Yes, wow, you’re very cool.’

‘This is fascinating hyung, I can’t wait to hear the second part of it.’

‘But I guess in a way we know everything works out well right? I mean your friend, Xiumin, he’s in contact with you, isn’t he?’

‘He is- oh wait! Hi Xiumin! How are you? Look! I’m on the internet!’

‘Hi Xiumin! Oh is he older than us?’

‘He is. You can call him ge-ge.’

‘Xiumin ge-ge! Thank you for allowing us to share your story on our channel, we greatly appreciate it!’

‘Glad you’re doing well!’

‘So! What can we expect with part 2?’

‘Oh I cannot spoil anything for you Minseok-ah, you should know that.’

‘Any theories? Hyung? Jongdae?’

‘Well, those eggs- experience has taught us: it can’t mean anything good.’

‘Absolutely not!’

‘Well, according to the story so far, I guess, well, I’m not going to on people’s coping mechanisms or anything but, it seems the grandfather is having difficulties dealing with his wife’s death.’

‘Correct.’

‘So, I think we’re right to assume that his wife was into the more traditional shaman-ritual thing.’

‘Yeah.’

‘So, he’s kinda doing all of this, in hopes of maybe, I dunno, make her spirit happy? Feel closer to her?’

‘I don’t like the fact that this is paired with his evident development of dementia.’

‘I was thinking that too.’

‘I also think people tend to underestimate, or at least, not really consider, the power of belief in a sense.’

‘You’re right!

And I think we’re gonna see how all of that progresses in the upcoming episode!’

‘We hope we didn’t end the story in too terrible a cliff-hanger.’

‘I can hear the comments screaming at us already.’

‘Music to my ears.’

‘Anyways, we’ll see you guys next week!’

‘Happy to see all of you!’

‘Aw-‘

‘-I meant the audience.’

‘…’

‘See you next week!’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

minghaoFrogagenda: LMAO I’M SCREAMING ALL RIGHT I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT WTF THIS SHOULD BE A SERIES LIKE THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE ISTG

 

Lilithesue25: He named his cats Ku Ma Mon. I already love him. also there’s so much to process in this episode. Freaky story, new season, lu han, - there’s too much

 

Bocchann: Minseok and Lu Han have that energy that makes me think they’re either fight to death or kiss and honestly I need to find someone like this too

 

I’m Sorry I’m an Anti-Romantic: Y’all is it okay if I ship

 

I’m just a gam3 bo1: What about baekdaeseok

 

Guess Who Loves You: Okay but blueberry jam on buttered toast with scrambled eggs DO actually taste great Jongdae is right

 

DFTF_AOTY: Why not baekdaeseokhan

 

Are You Smooth Like Butter, Criminal Undercover?: Idk why the ship name doesn’t just roll out that well

 

Why Are All The B-Sides Bops?: He fits in with them so perfectly I’m actually crying

 

Y’all ready for SOO_SOLO: WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THE STORY STOP GETTING DISTRACTED BY THE LOW QUALITY VIDEO FRAMES OF 4 HIGH QUALITY MEN AND LISTEN TO THIS ING STORY

 

167 is average height: Idk how I’m gonna explain why I zoomed in on to a cats collar but I did don’t ask me why but I noticed something interesting in all of the cats collars they’re all?? Charms. Old charms. Like, I used to see that sort of writing and symbol on my grandparents old house. I asked my parents about it and well, seems like it’s a sort of deep ancestral shamanism kinda ritual thing. It’s very interesting to me that Lu Han has those cats with those charms working for Unsolved. Very Interesting.

 

I’m Alcohol Free: If I walked into my father-in-law’s house and he had a goats head casually in his room I would simply divorce

Idc man that’s divorce reason there

 

DrinkThatWaterBtich: Is it just me or do Minseok and Lu Han radiate cat energy but like, opposite ends of the cat-energy spectrum. And I’m not just saying this because you know, they had cats with them

 

Erikyoooooooonggggg_ggg: So let me get this straight: this story is…basically, this Xiumin literally stepping back in time via memories he is accessing that is connected to his grandfather’s cigarette case…to understand how and what is haunting him, which is related to his grandfather somehow

 

DaeDroid: @ Erikyoooooooonggggg_ggg Yeah

 

Erikyoooooooonggggg_ggg: @DaeDroid so are ghosts hereditary because y’all I don’t know how we can check for that, is there a genetic thingy dna strand idk that tells you that you have a ghost lingering in your bloodline

 

Yves Saint Awkward: Ghostly dna hahahahaha

 

Baguette Au Pain:@ Erikyoooooooonggggg_ggg I mean, are you experiencing waking hallucinations and seeing your face melt in the mirror

 

Erikyoooooooonggggg_ggg: @Baguette Au Pain No

 

Baguette Au Pain:@ Erikyoooooooonggggg_ggg Yeah I think you’re fine

 

Dear Sputnik: why does Lu Han look vaguely familiar to me

 

Professional Procrastinator 3000: eggs

E g g s

THESE ING EGGS ONCE MORE

THE GREENHOUSE EPISODE TRAUMATIZED ME FOR MONTHS AND WE’RE BACK AT IT AGAIN

 

It’s Been Day Six Since: Minseok living with jongdae and baekyun in close quarters? hahahahahahahalaughsinpolyamory

 

Indigo_salad: NEW SEASON?????????????????? DID I HEAR THAT RIGHT??????????????????????

 

Twice the Perfect World: that preview was just Baekhyun screaming, is that how the previous seasons were too?

 

Unsolved Vlogs: @Twice the Perfect World yeah pretty much!

 

Sehun_omayaaaaaa: @Unsolved Vlogs Introduce me NOW you cowards!

 

Unsolved Vlogs: @Sehun_omayaaaaaa no <3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

Authors’ notes:

 

Sup

Had this brilliant idea with what to do for the last 3 chapters of once upon an unsolved vlog ehe

I hope you enjoy it too ^_^

And thank you to everyone for your wonderful comments and words, it means a lot to me

Everyone stay safe and healthy

Also here’s a mind fact for you:

Sunmi is younger than Minseok irl

So is Sohee

ALSO UM KYUNGSOO SOLO ALBUM LIKE OKAY KING BLESS ME